• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for use now

Durante

UE4 must be massively successful for Epic. Either that, or this is desperation, but from everything I have observed that seems incredibly unlikely.

I like this, because UE4 is good. Hopefully its widespread adoption will mean better AA in games, and better PC ports across the board. Oh, and better performance in large-scale indie games than with Unity.

Pretty damn awesome, shame i like to use c#, never spent enough time to properly learn c++.
Well, not everyone can spend 15 years learning a language ;)

Newboi

It seems like Epic achieved the level of adoption they needed to make this skeem viable long term. That's fantastic!

This will put severe pressure on Unity and CryEngine now. I'm not sure they can sustain themselves with the same pricing structure as Epic can with Unreal.

Edit: I honestly think DX12 and GLNext will be the true difference make with UE4. This will allow the programmers to optimize their Engine and allow for cross platforms between the PC and consoles that probably weren't possible before.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
You just can't beat that.

Damn, I was not expecting Epic to go that far. I know the landscape has changed, many AAA publishers have their own tech but the situation must be critical for Epic to literally give away their work for free.

This is a great deal but how does Epic intend to make money from doing this? It must cost a ton of money to develop UE4 but it sounds like they won't make much money if they do this.

Or are they gambling on having a ton of people use their engine so that the 5% thing adds up?

You just can't beat that.

Damn, I was not expecting Epic to go that far. I know the landscape has changed, many AAA publishers have their own tech but the situation must be critical for Epic to literally give away their work for free.

They probably also want to cater to the growing indies that are already making money off their first game but want to make something a bit meatier. Unity is definitely king with indies and has a similar setup.

UE4 must be massively successful for Epic. Either that, or this is desperation, but from everything I have observed that seems incredibly unlikely.

I like this, because UE4 is good. Hopefully its widespread adoption will mean better AA in games, and better PC ports across the board. Oh, and better performance in large-scale indie games than with Unity.

Well, not everyone can spend 15 years learning a language ;)
Stupid q - I assume ue is c++ only?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Off the top of my head upcoming big titles on UE4

Kingdom Hearts 3
Fable Legends
Dead Island 2
Sony Bends next title
Street Fighter V
Tekken 7

and a ton more.

A lot of Microsoft's stuff is on it in general. Crackdown and Scalebound for example.

This is a great deal but how does Epic intend to make money from doing this? It must cost a ton of money to develop UE4 but it sounds like they won't make much money if they do this.

Or are they gambling on having a ton of people use their engine so that the 5% thing adds up?

Think about how much the following games combined will make

Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, Fable Legends, Kingdom Hearts 3, Dead Island 2, Sony Bends next title, etc.

Now take 5% of that revenue and give it to Epic. That chunk of change alone from just those games is pretty substantial

Kezen

Banned

That's the plan. Epic is banking all they have on the success of their engine.
But I hope they have enough funds for a AAA game. Those Infiltrator assets have to be from one of their internal project, right ?

I'm not interested in Fortnite. I was that futuristic/sci-fi IP based on the Samaritan/Infiltrator.

Competition is awesome :)

At this point it does not even seem like competition anymore. Epic was seemingly crushing Unity and Cryengine as of late with their updates and community interaction, this feels more like "the final nail in the proverbial coffin."

This is a microsoft like move actually. It takes money to make this step and Epic must be swimming in it.

SerTapTap

That's the plan. Epic is banking all they have on the success of their engine.
But I hope they have enough funds for a AAA game. Those Infiltrator assets have to be from one of their internal project, right ?

They're making Unreal Tournament 4, what more do you need?

raphier

Banned
Unity supports more platforms though doesn't it?

Eg it doesnt look like UE4 supports Linux unless I Google failed

I like the idea of promoting platforms to keep windows and DX with a competitor.

tbh, most games are developed mobile and windows in mind, no? I would say that does affect Unity somewhat.

Unain

This news is awesome!
Love the ability to prototype quickly in Unreal Engine 4 with Blueprints.

Time to make some tutorials for people picking it up, because lots of people are going to try Unreal Engine now.

Gameboy415

Wow, very cool news!

I've had a blast learning how to use UE4 over the last ~year and this should help save our team some money! :)

Durante

Stupid q - I assume ue is c++ only?
You can do a lot of higher-level stuff in blueprints, but the real meat of the engine is all C++.

Unity supports more platforms though doesn't it?

Eg it doesnt look like UE4 supports Linux unless I Google failed

I like the idea of promoting platforms to keep windows and DX with a competitor.
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Support said:
Present state of Unreal Engine 4 on Linux

Right now you can cross-compile content for Linux on Windows ie. cook and package your projects for Linux platform; compile and run UE Server, Game, Client and the Editor natively in Linux.

Cirruss

Doh and I just reupped my sub last week to get 4.7, haven't even had the chance to use it yet so I may as well have had waited for it to go free.

I was wondering how they were going to manage to keep up the updates in order to give value to the subscription, guess this makes things easier for everyone now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, shit. Crytek need to step it up with CryEngine now more than ever.
I wouldn't really consider CryEngine to be a competitor that's driving decision making these days.

The engine war is basically between Epic coming from the high end and going down while Unity started at the low end and went up.

Well, shit. Crytek need to step it up with CryEngine now more than ever.

Crytek has update 3.7 coming out soon. But they have been so tight lipped about it... who knows what it really entails.

One thing for certain is that it is large apparently...
I wouldn't really consider CryEngine to be a competitor that's driving decision making these days.

The engine war is basically between Epic coming from the high end and going down while Unity started at the low end and went up.

Yeah, graphically intensive indie projects seem to gravitate towards Unreal.

A lot of Microsoft's stuff is on it in general. Crackdown and Scalebound for example.

Yep and of course Black Tusk / Gears as well is confirmed UE4

I don't think this is a desperation move at all, I just think Epic is weighing what will be the best thing to get as high of an adoption rate as possible and decided free is the way to go.

I mean for indie teams this is massive news. UE4 is a fantastic engine.

decoy11

Wait wait wait wait I just realized something. If UE4 and all the tools are free does this mean that modding is going to be a lot easier and better. I mean holy crap what is better to mod a game then the tools the devs used to make the game.

I interpreted this in reverse as is Unity putting pressure on them, since its popular with a lot of indies?

I dont follow it closely, but I got the impression than UE was for large companies paying a significant fee for good support vs Unity going the software only route (they wanted to be the Photoshop of games development basically, ie low price but high volume)

Kezen

Banned
They're making Unreal Tournament 4, what more do you need?

It's cool to see Unreal Tournament back but...Deep inside me I really want this Samaritan/Infiltrator game. It just looks so cool.
Ever since I saw the Samaritan demo I was in love with the setting, I know it's supposedly from an old project called Blueprint or Nano.
http://www.vgleaks.com/project-nano-aka-blueprint-from-epic-games-unveiled

I hope it has not been definitely buried.

nano-owen2-600x438.jpg

nano-owen_sondo.jpg

samaritan.jpg

nano2-600x439.jpg

My heart bleeds just seeing this and realizing it's not an already announced game. I love this kind of universe so much.
I don't think I'll ever get over it. It saddens me beyond words.

Top Bottom