• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for use now

EEEEEEEEEE!

I was waiting for the "perfect update" so I could just pay the monthly $20 then cancel right away but now I'm so totes jumping on this!

The original pricing scheme was a declaration of war on Unity. This is Epic declaring DEFCON 1. Thermonuclear engine war is upon us.

(But it does mean that UT4 has now soft-released, since there's no more price barrier.)

Anyone with a decent PC should download this just to mess with the tech demos. There are sone really cool ones for free to download

BraXzy

Holy shit that's insane! It was already a pretty amazing deal in the first place. I hope this means more adoption of the engine because it's great.

Unity supports more platforms though doesn't it?

Eg it doesnt look like UE4 supports Linux unless I Google failed

I like the idea of promoting platforms to keep windows and DX with a competitor.

UE4 does support Linux in its current state, and has full OpenGL support. But it is missing a dedicated editor, which they are apparently working on. Though it is possible for developers to try and compile the editor for Linux themselves, and there has been some success with it. The officially supported editor hasn't arrived yet, but cross compiling does work.

On the Unity side, games can be compiled to run in Linux, but unfortunately they do not have a native editor yet, nor do they seem to have any plans to port one. Which really sucks on their part. This takes away potential developers who like to work under Linux. Some people have had luck running the Unity editor under wine, but that is really not the greatest solution.

Outside of that Unity does still support older PPC architecture and works with the PS3, Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii U. It also supports the Vita and 3DS, which UE4 does not. Though yet again, since developers have access to the UE4 source code, it is possible to try and port UE4 to those platforms, but Epic has no plans on officially supporting them. This is why some developers like NetherRealm Studios are sticking with UE3 for a little longer. They can still make ports for last gen consoles.

Depends on if 5% total revenue versus upfront cost works out better for you in the long run or not, but this MEGATON regardless

Interesting point. But I think for developers that are trying to break into the industry the 5% cut may look more appealing.

Kinthalis

Banned
Does anyone here use C# with UE4 here? I'd love to know if it has any major limitations or problems.

Yeah, so long as there aren't any issues I'd take managed c# over C++ any day of the week. Specially since I'm not really likely to work on anything that would be hampered by any of the overheard.

EDIT: Oooh, it's the Mono guys. I've used them before for ap development at work. Top notch libraries, support and performance.

RCSI

Funny enough, I can not sign into UE4 at the moment, most likely because of the load of people trying to download UE4.

empyrean

Yeah, so long as there aren't any issues I'd take managed c# over C++ any day of the week. Specially since I'm not really likely to work on anything that would be hampered by any of the overheard.

Agreed, if anyone has any experience of c# would be very keen to hear what they have to say.

Azure J

Downloaded.

I'm coming in at the LOWEST possible level but dammit man I want to learn. Is there a "GAF Learns: Unreal Engine 4" group anywhere I can get some input in with?

tuxfool

Banned
At this point it does not even seem like competition anymore. Epic was seemingly crushing Unity and Cryengine as of late with their updates and community interaction, this feels more like "the final nail in the proverbial coffin."

This is a microsoft like move actually. It takes money to make this step and Epic must be swimming in it.

It is all that Tencent f2p dough.

K.Sabot

Verily I will take advantage of this and replicate that Resident Evil 2 UE4 thing that one guy made as a test and never released.

Downloaded.

I'm coming in at the LOWEST possible level but dammit man I want to learn. Is there a "GAF Learns: Unreal Engine 4" group anywhere I can get some input in with?

There is a huge amount of info / help in Epics actual UE4 forums. If someone is willing to put in a lot of work you can learn how to utilize the engine from there alone.

nampad

With the big 3rd party publishers developing their internal engines to be used across teams and Unity on the rise among indie developers, I thought UE4 would be on the back burner for this generation. Seems like Epic is pulling a lot of good moves so that won't happen.

Interesting. Maybe I will direct some of my friends to this now, since a few have been struggling with getting Unity to do their bidding.

nemisis0

Great stuff will be able to use it free after my free student year ends, amazing engine and surprised what your able to do with it.

charsace

They will make more money off of this than off of the subscription fee. More people will go with this instead of Unity (I will stick with Unity though). Though in the end I can see a lot of games being better off with Unity because if you make somethign that performs decently you don't have to give Unity a cut. Though with Unity 5 the IDE gets a revamp and will be a true Entity Component System unlike what Unity is now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The monthly fee was already pretty nominal, so this isn't a huge change imo. The big difference between this and unity is still royalty vs royalty free. Still, I appreciate the 20 bucks a month back in my pocket, and anything that puts pressure on unity to reduce its sub is no bad thing. Although in a way this is 20 bucks a month I can now use to offset against my unity pro sub.

hm, I'm not sure how the licensing works for C#/mono for UE4. It seems like for platforms where you can't use a compiled a DLL (mobile and console mostly), you would have to license mono for this.

Durante

I missed this part before:
In going free, we’ll be issuing a pro-rated refund to current subscribers for their most recent month’s payment. And, everyone who has ever paid for a UE4 subscription will receive a $30 credit that can be spent in the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

As someone who was subscribed from the first release until now -- nice!

They really must be swimming in cash. It's amazing to see a software project move away from the recurring payment software-as-a-service model. I love it.

The monthly fee was already pretty nominal, so this isn't a huge change imo.
One big impact I see is on modding. While $20 a month is nominal even for indie developers, it might still be too step for casual modding. Now you can expect everyone who wants to mod your game to have UE4.

Quick note to current and previous Subscribers:

UE4 Blog Post said:
In going free, we’ll be issuing a pro-rated refund to current subscribers for their most recent month’s payment. And, everyone who has ever paid for a UE4 subscription will receive a $30 credit that can be spent in the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

EDIT: Damnit, Durante! :p

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
boom.gif

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

We give you everything so you can build anything. You get all tools, all features, all platforms, all source code, complete projects, sample content, regular updates and bug fixes.

5% WHEN YOU SHIP

The 5% royalty starts after the first $3,000 of revenue per product per quarter. Pay no royalty for film projects, contracting and consulting projects such as architecture, simulation and visualization.

Well unreal , you're really going all out with this one.

SerTapTap

One big impact I see is on modding. While $20 a month is nominal even for indie developers, it might still be too step for casual modding. Now you can expect everyone who wants to mod your game to have UE4.

Also the non-gaming uses called out (not sure how popular UE is for that though), and it encourages people to tinker with it to learn it, then when they learn they're "hooked" and will need to pay that 5% if what they make gets bank. Not a bad way to encourage use IMO. I'll probably be downloading it tonight, wouldn't have considered it with the $20 no source access thing since I probably won't be making a game anytime soon.

Awesome.

Now, if someone could show me where I can learn to make a videogame using the Unreal 4 engine, all by myself, I will create for all of you - the PERFECT game.

FREE of CHARGE.

BTW - the only game I ever coded was a BASIC game for the Commodore Vic 20 back in 198...something.

And it was basically a Space Invaders rip off, with the graphics being odd keyboard symbols.

But from that, I shall grow... or not.

Top Bottom