• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for use now

Daknight

Sweet...this is going to be a long download :( (3.9 GB for those wondering). Does anyone know if I can pack it up and install in another computer? Cause downloading it in each computer I use seem like a crappy idea xP

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Very intriguing. I will see if I can write something simple just for trying this out. I've always liked the framework of Unreal Engine, this should be fun.

Falk

that puzzling face
and better PC ports across the board.

dJddALr.png

That's the plan. Epic is banking all they have on the success of their engine.
But I hope they have enough funds for a AAA game. Those Infiltrator assets have to be from one of their internal project, right ?

I'm not interested in Fortnite. I was that futuristic/sci-fi IP based on the Samaritan/Infiltrator.

Last year there was an interview where Sweeney hinted at an unnanounced big project.

Awesome news :) as a Mac user I couldn't get the free UDK so I've been waiting a while for my uni to give me a UE4 license, but this solves that.

UE4 must be massively successful for Epic. Either that, or this is desperation, but from everything I have observed that seems incredibly unlikely.

I feel like the sub cost to entry was higher than it was worth for them to get indies to start using their engine. Also, getting more people using the engine means they can make more money off of things like services and their asset store. These are just my guesses on this.

1. This is awesome and makes me want to play around with UE4 even more.
2. I'm surprised at them dropping the fee even for consulting and non-games types.

KKRT00

At this point it does not even seem like competition anymore. Epic was seemingly crushing Unity and Cryengine as of late with their updates and community interaction, this feels more like "the final nail in the proverbial coffin."

This is a microsoft like move actually. It takes money to make this step and Epic must be swimming in it.

Its not like they would do that if there was no competition :)
And Frostbite is also a competition for them.

mnannola

Wow this huge!

The VR support already in UE4 4.7 is incredible. If VR takes off, Epic is going to make a killing. Can't wait to see how Unity / CryEngine react to this news.

Competition is great.

Did we get some money back? I have $30 credit in my account now.

Fuck you, Epic, for charging me for my subscription two days ago.

Read the full post.

In going free, we’ll be issuing a pro-rated refund to current subscribers for their most recent month’s payment. And, everyone who has ever paid for a UE4 subscription will receive a $30 credit that can be spent in the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Isn't Epic also converting devs games into DX12 for them for free? As long as they are built on UE4? I thought I heard that recently

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does Unreal have a community asset store like Unity? That asset store is the biggest reason people use Unity, not the cost.

meptrep

Does Unreal have a community asset store like Unity? That asset store is the biggest reason people use Unity, not the cost.

It does, but there are not a whole lot of items on it currently. Hopefully that'll change now that the engine is free.

desu

Well, shit. Crytek need to step it up with CryEngine now more than ever.

They already lost, it's almost a year since they announced EAAS Cryengine, they promised a lot but if you look at the Streamforums/Official forums it's still barely anyone using it. Documentation seems to have improved but still lightyears behind of what Epic/Unity does.

Sad thing because I think the engine can do some really neat results (Crysis/Ryse) are a testament to that. It's just that the engine is simply not indie friendly, and probably will never be.

Thanks for the link, looks like Linux isnt quite there yet but at least its coming

Please note that Linux UE4 Editor is NOT production worthy yet as there are many issues that need to be ironed out. We welcome everyone to try it out and report any bugs they might find, but please do not rely on it for any of your serious projects - your safest bet for UE development right now is still under Windows.

Xpliskin

Complete codebase, for free ?

Hnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Game programmers have no excuse to suck anymore.

"Just emulate what UE is doing, it's open source *trollface* "

Would be crazy if that Bethesda rumor from like 2 years ago was true. I doubt it because it likely would have been put in the open by now but there was talk for a bit Bethesda was using it

^DJ_Link^

Neo Member
such a great move from Epic, well done.
this will solve the problem with many devs not having the money to start playing around for the first months, this way you pay only if you end up making money from it. Makes sense

┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

GODAMNIT EPIC, YOU JUST INVALIDATED MY TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLAR UNIVERSITY GAME DEVELOPMENT COURSE THAT USES THE UDK.

(But still, awesome news.)

Top Bottom