• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for use now

Wow, looks like I picked the perfect time to start subscribing to UE4 (one week ago). Now I'll be getting a pro-rated refund plus that $30 in my account for being a subscriber. This is pretty great of Epic to do.

Very excited about what this new move does for the community. This isn't going to be something that will destroy Unity - some people just don't want to use/learn C++, but it should make for a large influx of people willing to try it out now that they can do so for free.

Durante

I guess this is in response to most indies going with unity and most AAA studios going for custom built engines. I wonder what future big budget games will be using UE4. I don't think I've see any notable ones announced.
Huh?

Dead Island 2?
Street Fighter 5?
Kingdom Hearts 3?

Awesome.

Now, if someone could show me where I can learn to make a videogame using the Unreal 4 engine, all by myself, I will create for all of you - the PERFECT game.

FREE of CHARGE.

BTW - the only game I ever coded was a BASIC game for the Commodore Vic 20 back in 198...something.

And it was basically a Space Invaders rip off, with the graphics being odd keyboard symbols.

But from that, I shall grow... or not.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QBWg9pMnaFF-q0qjXPDEg

TeslaDev is pretty good for beginners.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?7693-Unreal-News-Weekly

This is a big list of tutorials.

Lautaro

RIP other engines.

Supposedly Unity was done for when Epic announced the subscription fee and open source but it's still going strong, I don't think this changes that.

I hope they throw a bone to us (their "loyal" customers") now that the competition is fierce though.

Monarch

Banned
I've been using it for the past 5 months for my graduation project at my school and it's been a real pleasure for now. We are 2 game designers (myself included), 1 programmer, 1 sound designer and 4 graphic artists.
The programmer can code the core gameplay features while the other game designer and me can use blueprints for smaller tasks.

I can't wait to release something to the public :D

Unreal Tournament looks awesome: www.unrealtournament.com/blog/unreal-tournament-at-gdc/

malcolmFlak04.png

Well I wanted to take a gander at the engine but didn't feel it was worth 20 bucks just to see it.

c++ is a big plus for me since it's what i'm most familiar with.

hesido

Wow.. That's absolutely nuts.

I love it when companies do the right thing: build a user base and an army of people competent with your platform, let everybody have at it. Hopefully the more widespread and the experience with the engine, the higher the chances of it being used in successful projects that should bring some royalties.

And they are very generous with non-gaming requiring 0 royalties. Absolutely wonderful.

This is only good news for gamers. I predict the return of B-tier games will be bigger than ever with this announcement.

I kind of doubt that. This is bigger for non game studios that need an engine for interactives/vr apps and for hobbyists. The royalty thing will still ward off a lot of small studios.

Wow this is tremendous. I was already tinkering with UE4 but this is a way over the top great unexpected surprise. Coupled with the recent addition of double sided foliage lighting and other 4.7 things, it's been a nice week of UE4 progress.

Rosur

Trying to download the updated launcher. Man their server must be taking a pounding from this as only getting 5.5kb/s...

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If you wanted to build a game from scratch; this theoretically has everything you would need, correct?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Now Japanese devs not on mobile have no reason not to use it :D

Outside of using their own engines...i suppose...but those lower tiered devs who are stuck with PS2 asset level tools should really upgrade pronto.

Denton

I remember reading about engine licensing in a local magazine some 15 years ago. IIRC Quake engine was around 250,000 dollars + royalties or something like that.

How the times change.

belushy

Banned
Downloading Kbs at the moment. Assuming it is the Unreal servers getting hit hard but it is probably just my internet being slow today.

sqwarlock

*looks over at his old-ass portfolio of long forgotten UE3-developed art*

Well, I may have some porting to do. This may well get me back into game art and design as a hobby.

Lautaro

If you wanted to build a game from scratch; this theoretically has everything you would need, correct?

Yeah I mean, you still need graphical assets, music, etc. but like Unity, UE4 has a marketplace to buy stock assets and you can always recruit or team up with artists.

Yeah, they're are templates / kits / example games that come with the Engine, as well as quite a few starter kits on the marketplace as well. Learn blueprints and you can get alot done on your own to get started with.

God damn it! I should have waited. Just subscribed last month, so I basically wasted $20. What the hell. They probably decided to make it free with the 5% because so many subscribers were just unsubscribing after the first month (you can publish your game without an active subscription when it was paid).

Edit: What the hell? I apparently have $30 in my account balance with my Unreal Engine account. What can I do with it?

Valkrai

God damn it! I should have waited. Just subscribed last month, so I basically wasted $20. What the hell. They probably decided to make it free with the 5% because so many subscribers were just unsubscribing after the first month (you can publish your game without an active subscription when it was paid).

They'll refund you for the sub since you payed after January.

You will get 30$ reimbursement to spend on the marketplace

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The way they're handling the engine AND UT is just fantastic, big props.

The word "awesome" is so overused it has lost its original meaning.

Also, that horrible chromatic aberration :(

"awe" "some"

Two word / word-particles with great historically interesting meaning. Lost to time, like tears in the rain.

tears in the rain has also almost no meaning anymore, god damn meme culture destroying everything

belushy

Banned
I always wanted to get into game development. How user friendly is this for someone who has no coding knowledge?

You can use blueprints which don't require coding itself. You still probably need to think like a coder, but you don't have to write lines and lines to get something to work.

That's awesome. Will save me $20 a month. I hope Unity will come down too.

Yup, one of the primary reasons I chose UE4 over Unity (among other reasons). With Unity you either need to pay the license in full or get locked into paying $70 a month as opposed to $19 a month and being able to cancel anytime (and still be able to publish your game commercially).

koutoru

I always wanted to get into game development. How user friendly is this for someone who has no coding knowledge?
It's more extensive than Unity, however Unity doesn't have a visual scripting system like UE4 does. Even if you don't know any coding you could make your own games using UE4's Blueprint scripting.

FyreWulff

Under the subscription model, you wouldn't pay a dime with a 20$ payment and 49,000$ of revenue

under the new one, you owe them 2500$ (rounded) with the same amount of revenue

edit: was confusing a previous UE agreement, ignore post

ciD_Vain

You can use blueprints which don't require coding itself. You still probably need to think like a coder, but you don't have to write lines and lines to get something to work.

It's more extensive than Unity, however Unity doesn't have a visual scripting system like UE4 does. Even if you don't know any coding you could make your own games using UE4's Blue Print scripting.
That's really good to know. I got pretty decent at 3D modeling and texturing but never dabbled into coding. I think I'll give this a go.

Wow this is big for the industry, glad I don't have to worry about the sub anymore haha. Shame it doesn't support the Vita like Unity though.

Top Bottom