• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for use now

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's interesting that this seems like it'll make it more likely for indies to use it but less likely for AAA devs.

From what I recall, for a full license on a retail game, was something like $1 million bucks before, but now it would be significantly more. Say you sell a million units, that'd be like 3 million in royalties. If you do Call of Duty numbers it gets even crazier.

Rflagg

This sounds like great news for indie developers, heck it seems like even big companies would save a decent amount by going with unreal 4.

edit:

It's interesting that this seems like it'll make it more likely for indies to use it but less likely for AAA devs.

From what I recall, for a full license on a retail game, was something like $1 million bucks before, but now it would be significantly more. Say you sell a million units, that'd be like 3 million in royalties. If you do Call of Duty numbers it gets even crazier.

Ahh, I see I didn't realize it was a flat fee for big games like that, so I am unsure how I feel now. I am still excited, but not near as excited as I was before.

Blizzard

Banned
Awesome.

Now, if someone could show me where I can learn to make a videogame using the Unreal 4 engine, all by myself, I will create for all of you - the PERFECT game.

FREE of CHARGE.

BTW - the only game I ever coded was a BASIC game for the Commodore Vic 20 back in 198...something.

And it was basically a Space Invaders rip off, with the graphics being odd keyboard symbols.

But from that, I shall grow... or not.
Someone else probably has better links, but there are a lot of videos on YouTube I think, and the Unreal Engine website (https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4) has the "Learn" tab in the top left. That should point you to documentation, video tutorials, and so forth.

In addition I think the engine comes with some examples of various types of game stuff.

They will make more money off of this than off of the subscription fee. More people will go with this instead of Unity (I will stick with Unity though). Though in the end I can see a lot of games being better off with Unity because if you make somethign that performs decently you don't have to give Unity a cut. Though with Unity 5 the IDE gets a revamp and will be a true Entity Component System unlike what Unity is now.

Yeah Unity is still much cheaper if you actually plan to sell anything or make more than 1 game.

Platy

See Ubisoft ?
That is should happen to awesome engines ! >=|

Yes, I am STILL bitter about UbiArt =P

Verger

Banned
They're definitely attacking Unity with all these moves quite a lot, they even have a "Unity to Unreal" promo on their website. Likely targeted at the "indies" since that level of royalty won't seem too much for them.

I still like CryEngine the most though. It's tough to use but it's the best visual output.

They're really trying to drill hard into Unity.

The sub fee was probably their biggest hurdle with that.

The place I work (which is not a game studio) was already using Unreal because of the pricing model difference, this change certainly will make it even harder for Unity to gain any traction internally, much to the chagrin of some programmers here.

They're definitely attacking Unity with all these moves quite a lot, they even have a "Unity to Unreal" promo on their website. Likely targeted at the "indies" since that level of royalty won't seem too much for them.

I still like CryEngine the most though. It's tough to use but it's the best visual output.

Yup.

Blizzard

Banned
For anyone trying to use the forgotten password / password reset thing, emails seem to be delayed by 5-10 minutes so be very patient.

SerTapTap

I'm sure there is still a flat fee aaas can negotiate. There's no way MS is going to pay them royalties for gears, crackdown etc

whiteape

Unity's reaction on their forums (they have a conference tomorrow):
0rj8w.png

Griss

Very cool.

Does anyone know what the amount and standard of tutorials is for UE4 versus Unity? Because I always felt like Unity's massive advantage was that there were thousands of people hitting the same roadblocks you were, so the chances that you'd find an answered question or tutorial regarding your issue was pretty high.

I tried UE about 10 years ago, and thought it was best suited for FPSs. I'm sure they've moved away from that now. I'd love to give it another go.

They have different licenses available for major publishers and AAA studios.

Can it be used to make iOS/Android games too?

I know Infinity Blade for iOS uses Unreal 3. Curious if this is platform-limited or not.

Officially UE4 supports Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, HTML5, iOS, and Android. Though I've heard that iOS and Android support has been a little dodgy.

Does anyone know what the amount and standard of tutorials is for UE4 versus Unity? Because I always felt like Unity's massive advantage was that there were thousands of people hitting the same roadblocks you were, so the chances that you'd find an answered question or tutorial regarding your issue was pretty high.

I tried UE about 10 years ago, and thought it was best suited for FPSs. I'm sure they've moved away from that now. I'd love to give it another go.

There are a lot of tutorials included and you can find more and growing all over the web. The official ones are really good.

Durante

I'm sure this does not change the fact that you can negotiate a flat fee licensing agreement.

I use gamemaker and unity and have been meaning to mess with unreal but was wondering if it has a visual scripting setup or something similar?

I remember the few times I messed with it in the past it did.

Trace

Banned
Every damn time they keep raising the bar.

GG Epic.

I use gamemaker and unity and have been meaning to mess with unreal but was wondering if it has a visual scripting setup or something similar?

I remember the few times I messed with it in the past it did.

It has Blueprint, you can do a lot within it.

Does this mean that your game is classified as unfinished if you leave it in early access for eternity? I'm sure they probably thought of this...
Says if your product made $3000 in revenue then they charge 5% of it, so that is probably keeps the early access part in check.

Someone else probably has better links, but there are a lot of videos on YouTube I think, and the Unreal Engine website (https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4) has the "Learn" tab in the top left. That should point you to documentation, video tutorials, and so forth.

In addition I think the engine comes with some examples of various types of game stuff.

So this means someone with no background and download and fiddle around with it to try and make something?

jediyoshi

So this means someone with no background and download and fiddle around with it to try and make something?

Yes, as soon as you pop in, it's basically a straight forward level editor. There's a bunch of free, premade templates for certain types of games that you can modify directly and get going with quick.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I guess this is in response to most indies going with unity and most AAA studios going for custom built engines. I wonder what future big budget games will be using UE4. I don't think I've see any notable ones announced.

Metal-Geo

Yeah my bad, I realized after watching it that some of them are apparently UE3.

Although, when I googled it, the Vanishing of Ethan Carter developers talked like they might port to UE4 for console release, MAYBE.
The video is titled "Unreal Engine 4 sizzle reel" though.

Top Bottom