• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn developer: sales “surpassed expectations,” sequel is being talked about

alterno69

Banned
Whatever they announce next, it will make it to the top of my most anticipated games list.

Absolutely loved UD, my game of the year so far.

lumi7890

Well praise the almighty wendigo and sign me the fuck up, because i will be there on day 1. Also this has to take place on a tropical island it's just a perfect setting.

Yup with the critical and apparently commercial success i knew a sequel would come and i bet sony gives it a bigger budget this time too.

They gave it a pretty big budget last time, considering it had been in development for like 3-4 years and had a complete retooling and console change in the process.

eksy

Banned
The only bad thing I'd have to say about this game was the pre-order DLC.

Yeah it was just a small slice, but this is a prime example of cutting out content to sell pre-orders. Bad practice I don't want to see continue.

Otherwise, bring on Until Dusk or whatever it's called ASAP.

jacobeid

Banned
This makes me happy. Until dawn is the biggest surprise of the year for me and I'd love to see more projects in the same vein by Supermassive.

KorrZ

Enjoyed this game way more than I thought I would - definitely would buy a sequel no question asked. Good to hear that it's done so well

Wagram

Good for them man. I absolutely love titles like these and it makes me proud to see studios like Quantic Dream and Supermassive get success for these unique experiences.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Emily > Everyone else.

She was the only character that was honest to herself.

"She tells it like it is!"
No, she's awful.

CHC

They were brilliant to release when they did. A total testament to how much that impacts sales. Release when there isn't a whole lot else to play and reap the rewards.

Dragon

Banned
Emily > Everyone else.

She was the only character that was honest to herself.

Her endings don't make a ton of sense regarding how she feels about Matt. Bit weird to get to the end, where Matt tries to save her, and she's blasting him anyway.

Alo0oy

Banned
"She tells it like it is!"
No, she's awful.

No, it's not about "she tells it like it is", it's about not being a hypocrite like everyone else, I guess Sam was too, but everyone else was a hypocrite in one way or another.

Her endings don't make a ton of sense regarding how she feels about Matt. Bit weird to get to the end, where Matt tries to save her, and she's blasting him anyway.

Her dialog in the ending depends on the relationship bar with Matt, it doesn't matter if he tried to save her or not.

Please be another one focused on horror. This Heavy Rain/ Until Dawn system of story telling works best in the realm of horror.

mejin

"I'm thinking! Let me think... What the fuck is your problem!? Why are you being such a bitch to me?"

dad0437059073793aaee01cd00d883f58671b387396950d16458179464499c47.jpg

That's great news, I'm glad sales went beyond their expectations. It's such a great game and captured the horror movie feeling extremely well. Hoping the next one tackles a different style of horror.

I believe her feelings towards Matt are already established by then due to choices you made already. Like
trusting her immediately when she says that she's going to talk to Sam and siding with her during the argument she has with Jessica.

I couldn't buy this because it was only on PS4 (HINT), but I watched an entire playthrough of it online, which is something I cannot normally do, because it was so totally what I am looking for right now.

So first release this thing for PC and yes do a sequel!

This is great news. The game is fantastic and really deserves the sales. Another great game to add to the resurgence of horror!
Congrats to everybody on the team.

Dragon

Banned
I couldn't buy this because it was only on PS4 (HINT), but I watched an entire playthrough of it online, which is something I cannot normally do, because it was so totally what I am looking for right now.

Sony published this game so I don't think that's going to happen.

I believe her feelings towards Matt are already established by then due to choices you made already. Like
trusting her immediately when she says that she's going to talk to Sam and siding with her during the argument she has with Jessica.

You're probably right. I just don't know that that makes too much sense.
Because A. she is lying in the first instance and B. trying to save her life should outweigh some argument that she's just as much a part of :). I realize it's the point of the character to be flawed, I just wish she had grown up by the end :).

stryke

Port begging isn't really going to get you anything with this game.

Google

Well, no.The reason games like this can get made is because a major platform holder can get behind it and pump some money into it because it's a platform exclusive and they can probably guarantee a specific amount of sales.

Dragon

Banned
Wow guess I should shut my big fat mouth then.

Hopefully I don't think that poster meant it in a sharp tone, but really, he's/she's right. Sony published the game, there's no way it comes to PC. The developers have worked on PC games before however, so if they decide not to get funding from Sony for a similar game, it may work, hypothetically. But where is that funding coming from?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just started it last night, loving it so far.

is there any scenario where the twins don't both die in the beginning?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
No there is not. The rest of the story would not work without that happening.

I figured that except
there are some choices you make throughout the chase, didn't know if that would result in only one being dead, or both missing instead definitely splat

Thats good to hear. The game was far and away the best use of that format yet.

Now hopefully they find a publisher that will actually market a follow up.

Replicant

How about a new IP instead?

Read the OP. The developer didn't say it's going to be sequel but merely something in the same vein. It may not even be horror (although I want it to).

I think that you should expect the team to build on what we’ve done with Until Dawn, whether it’s in horror or in other genres. We’re already working on one thing that does that, whilst exploring other avenues for our other teams in anticipation of them finishing their current projects. We do talk internally about what Until Dawn 2 could be, as it clearly can’t be a sequel in the traditional sense, with the same characters facing the same threat, not least of which because in different stories some or all of them are already dead! We’ve investigated other ways we could do Until Dawn 2 but it probably is a little early to be discussing that.

Loakum

Banned
I hope so, because it's an amazing game! My only request is for them to add some nudity. If ya gonna adapt the b-movie horror genre, then ya gotta do it all the way.

Jigorath

Banned
American Horror Story-like in that regards. Keep the cast, add some new faces, and make the sequel unrelated to the first game, but a different style of horror. Keep the theme of "Surviving the night, until dawn"(hehehe), and there you go.

The only cast members they need to keep are Hayden Panettiere and Peter Stormare. I'm cool with ditching the others and getting new faces.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They ever release a performance patch for this game?

I redboxed it around launch and it ran like crap with lots of stuttering.

Top Bottom