• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (OVER ~350 games with screens inside!) || 2015 Edition ||

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
There is zero reason to be willfully ignorant of their hyperbole or what they mean by "No games".

Imagine if Nintendo released Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion on 3DS as their big titles, then did nothing and just left the system to indies and smaller devs afterwards. This is what people mean by 'no games'... They mean no big publisher or higher budget first and second party titles. This list is great, and there are a lot of great games there, and even plenty of just good games to fill out a library and a ton that are worth checking out... But most aren't exclusive to Vita (being easily available for most consoles, PC, or tablets/phones) and even those that are don't push the benefits of the Vita.

I'm not trying to be a downer. I own a vita (twice over), but you don't benefit the community by being willfully ignorant.

This thread is making me want to go back to playing Meruru in preparation for Ayesha+... I do need to finish it some time. So easy to get burnt out playing Atelier games in succession though.
People were saying the no games bullshit even as far back as 2012, when the system was drowning in "big" exclusive titles in addition to having a number of high quality multiplat titles from big publishers. Even in the year that had Uncharted, Wipeout, Lumines, Gravity Rush, Unit 13, Littlebigplanet, Assassins Creed etc as exclusives people were still saying the no games bullshit.

I think there's a large set of people that were always going to be down on Vita no matter what it did. It had AAA exclusives. "Nobody cares about AAA on handhelds". It had smaller titles perfectly suited to handhelds from day 1 and has since gone on to become the ultimate indie handheld. "Indie games aren't real games/you can play them on other platforms. Where are my AAA titles?" Goalposts were moved a LOT when it comes to Vita.

redcrayon

As a new Vita owner, I can only say: Thanks, Fady. Great work!

Maybe this is the right place to ask: Since I didn't own a PSP, I am catching up on A LOT of games.

How often do games like Tactics Ogre (or most JRPGs) go on sale? Has it ever been? Are sales recurring?
Tactics Ogre was on sale on the EU PSN store only a couple of months back. The FF games seem to be the most regular ones to go on sale, but there have been quite a few JRPGs. They often don't repeat very much though.

Maid

Banned
Pandering to Otakus, only way to make an anime livin' nowadays...

I really want to tell you how wrong it is, but then I doubt you watch that many anime after all, and this is not an appropriated thread for such discussion.

Turning everything into a girl form has always been there since 1990, as old as the whole MS girls and rule 63.

ironmang

People were saying the no games bullshit even as far back as 2012, when the system was drowning in "big" exclusive titles in addition to having a number of high quality multiplat titles from big publishers. Even in the year that had Uncharted, Wipeout, Lumines, Gravity Rush, Unit 13, Littlebigplanet, Assassins Creed etc as exclusives people were still saying the no games bullshit.

I think there's a large set of people that were always going to be down on Vita no matter what it did. It had AAA exclusives. "Nobody cares about AAA on handhelds". It had smaller titles perfectly suited to handhelds from day 1 and has since gone on to become the ultimate indie handheld. "Indie games aren't real games/you can play them on other platforms. Where are my AAA titles?" Goalposts were moved a LOT when it comes to Vita.

Just because those people in 2012 were wrong that doesn't mean his words about Vita in 2014/2015 are any less valid. I was extremely happy with the AC vita bundle I got on black friday 2012 through 2013 with Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, KZ:M, and other interesting titles. 2014 and what's known in 2015 just don't compare as far as my personal interests go.

I'm sure I'll get a kick out of PS+ freebies or the rare Freedom Wars but most of the time my Vita is going to be off. Only 3 years after release and there just aren't any titles with mass appeal to look forward to.

There is zero reason to be willfully ignorant of their hyperbole or what they mean by "No games".

Imagine if Nintendo released Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion on 3DS as their big titles, then did nothing and just left the system to indies and smaller devs afterwards. This is what people mean by 'no games'... They mean no big publisher or higher budget first and second party titles. This list is great, and there are a lot of great games there, and even plenty of just good games to fill out a library and a ton that are worth checking out... But most aren't exclusive to Vita (being easily available for most consoles, PC, or tablets/phones) and even those that are don't push the benefits of the Vita.

I'm not trying to be a downer. I own a vita (twice over), but you don't benefit the community by being willfully ignorant.

This thread is making me want to go back to playing Meruru in preparation for Ayesha+... I do need to finish it some time. So easy to get burnt out playing Atelier games in succession though.

Yeah I can understand the rationale, but you have to really have an axe to grind with the Vita to proclaim that it's got no content. My favorite complaint ever is that it's got no "exclusive" content. As if cross-buy / cross-save / (sometimes) cross-play is somehow bad lol. Cross buy if anything is a reason to invest into the ecosystem, not some weird thing to hate on lol.

People put too much weight on the value of an "exclusive title" and completely omit what they're now capable of playing on a handheld. Every game that a platform has access to should be counted towards it's library.

redcrayon

I know what you're getting at and agree that Vita owners shouldn't kid themselves that this will mean a resurgence of sales or Sony interest in the console, but I think Sony have still got Helldivers and Oreshika 2 in the pipeline for the west. That'll be it though, and it's not like either is a new Killzone. Still, the Vita has the most games of any console that I'm interested in this year, even without major first-party support and budgets to match. A nice variety of genres too.

As for other games with a reasonable budget, God Eater 2 Rage Burst, Ys 8 and RE Revelations 2 fit the bill for me (hell, Ys 8 is my most wanted this year), but all are third party and none of them Vita exclusive. I'll still buy all of them for the Vita though.

I really am happy with the Vita being abandoned to smaller devs and indies if it means a more regular output of software like we see listed here though. I love the 3DS too, and it has half a dozen major titles I want this year, but theres three dozen smaller titles and ports that'll I'll happily shell out for just to play on the Vita too. I really do wish that Sony would have continued to support it, but if people weren't buying enough consoles and games, it's hard to see why they should keep investing in major software. At least they've continued to encourage indie development, cross-buy, streaming and cross-play, rather than just abandoning the community all together. The trend of PS4/Vita development in the games listed above is also interesting considering the continued split of Ps4 success in the west and handheld preference in Japan.

Maid

Banned
Then again, the exclusive isn't what selling the PS4. That's the irony.

Just because those people in 2012 were wrong that doesn't mean his words about Vita in 2014/2015 are any less valid. I was extremely happy with the AC vita bundle I got on black friday 2012 through 2013 with Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, KZ:M, and other interesting titles. 2014 and what's known in 2015 just don't compare as far as my personal interests go.

I'm sure I'll get a kick out of PS+ freebies or the rare Freedom Wars but most of the time my Vita is going to be off. Only 3 years after release and there just aren't any titles with mass appeal to look forward to.

Not like those mass appealed games could help the Vita selling anything anyway, so I'm happy that we are getting what were in 2014 and will be in 2015 instead of those games.

gafneo

Banned
That was a headache. Most of the games were Indy action 52 style shovelwares. There was probably 5 games I'd buy or at least want to try for a few minutes.

ironmang

Not like those mass appealed games could help the Vita selling anything anyway, so I'm happy that we are getting what were in 2014 and will be in 2015 instead of those games.

I can't imagine the Vita wouldn't get a boost if it had some kind of upcoming exclusive games with mainstream appeal. Would the Vita even still be around if every year had a similar lineup as this one?

This list still won't do anything for the average gamer who plays/expects mainly AAA stuff, but scrolling through that I definitely saw at least 15 things I'll definitely buy and a lot more that I'll be keeping an eye on. Still my most used platform of the last couple years.

I can't imagine the Vita wouldn't get a boost if it had some kind of upcoming exclusive games with mainstream appeal. Would the Vita even still be around if every year had a similar lineup as this one?

It's not the games that are holding the Vita back. The year it hit the ground running it had a great price point, great content, and the tech wasn't that badly dated. Pumping out exclusive games for the Vita would be pointless. There's simply no market for this to impact. Even Nintendo's golden child is seeing much less demand than it's predecessor.

War has changed.

Maid

Banned

I would say yes. The trend of developers jumping more and more on the Vita is a sign that it's profitable enough to exist without mainstream appeal. There is a reason that many Vita games got localized first and foremost for the Asia before US.

If the mainstream didn't care for it at launch with that many AAA budget games, why would they care for it now even if it has any exclusive? When a new big exclusive game got announced for the Vita, people portbeg for the PS4. The boost it gets from a big budget exclusive wouldn't be worth it.

oh god, i already own all the indie games i'm interested in on PC except for hotline miami 2

vita pls

fuck late ports

What late ports are you talking about, aside from Atelier?

oh god, i already own all the indie games i'm interested in on PC except for hotline miami 2

vita pls

fuck late ports

It just might not be the handheld for you. Sony doesn't care about what's on the PC. Sony cares about getting as many games as possible to people on their system. Sony's plan moving forward is to see indie development taking place simultaneously on Playstation and PC, and possibly persuade people to buy it in their pool instead. I know with things like Cross-buy, and Day 1 PS+ releases, I certainly will be.

It wouldn't change anything, some people have irrational expectations when it comes to the Vita.

redcrayon

Just in case there's any new Vita owners in this thread, The Vita Lounge is a good place for Vita news. Reviews suffer a bit like all single-format sites, but for a small site the breadth of the stuff they cover is quite good.

redcrayon

That was a headache. Most of the games were Indy action 52 style shovelwares. There was probably 5 games I'd buy or at least want to try for a few minutes.

'Most of the games'? So over ~175 of them? Really?

Fair enough if they aren't your cup of tea but we obviously each have a wildly different definition of shovelware. There's no greater portion of it in that list than the digital release list for anywhere else, and any list of hundreds of games is always going to have dozens of titles that an individual might think look crap depending on their personal taste. Some of my favourite games of all time probably look like shovelware to some people.

vita pls

fuck late ports

Can you play those games on the move? Vita is a handheld not a Home console. All these indie games mostly best suited for Handheld and AAA games are well suited for Home consoles.

What late ports are you talking about, aside from Atelier?

Just from that list, broken age, shovel knight, bastion, steinsgate, and super time force are all titles that I would have bought for vita if they were announced earlier.

It just might not be the handheld for you. Sony doesn't care about what's on the PC. Sony cares about getting as many games as possible to people on their system. Sony's plan moving forward is to see indie development taking place simultaneously on Playstation and PC, and possibly persuade people to buy it in their pool instead. I know with things like Cross-buy, and Day 1 PS+ releases, I certainly will be.

Yeah, I'm still going to buy Persona 4 Dancing and Danganronpa AE, but that's going to be it for full retail games for the Vita, I think, unless some oddity out of japan ends up being really good. It's kind of sad, but an indie game player on the go is just edged out by my PC most of the time when it comes to either functionality or developer support.

redcrayon

Just from that list, broken age, shovel knight, bastion, steinsgate, and super time force are all titles that I would have bought for vita if they were announced earlier.

Yeah, I'm still going to buy Persona 4 Dancing and Danganronpa AE, but that's going to be it for full retail games for the Vita, I think, unless some oddity out of japan ends up being really good. It's kind of sad, but an indie game player on the go is just edged out by my PC most of the time when it comes to either functionality or developer support.
But Broken Age part two doesn't even have a release date for anywhere else yet? We're getting the complete version at the same time as PS4/PC.

ironmang

It wouldn't change anything, some people have irrational expectations when it comes to the Vita.

Don't think expecting a 3 year old platform to have some big games in the works is all that irrational and definitely shouldn't be. I do know for sure though that in big box stores Vitas are going to look awful silly sitting beside no retail games.

Don't think expecting a 3 year old platform to have some big games in the works is all that irrational and definitely shouldn't be. I do know for sure though that in big box stores Vitas are going to look awful silly sitting beside no retail games.

Sort of, Vita's seemingly headed down the Digital only future, much like PC is for the most part.

Maid

Banned
If you don't consider Freedom War and Oreshika 2 or Soul Sacrifice Delta as big games, then I don't really think there is anything else big for you on the Vita anymore.

But Stein;Gate is not a late port. It just got a localized announcement.

What do you consider big games? Were Killzone, Tearaway, Uncharted, AC, COD, Freedom Wars, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, LBP, Ressistance, Wipeout and Tales of Hearts R not big games? That's 13 retail exclusive games across 2012-2014 and I didn't include stuff like Danganronpa or Ys, digital only games and multiplat. That's what I meant by irrational, when looking at all those games (exclusive or not) that the Vita was getting a lot of people were saying that it didn't have games or exclusives even though last year the Vita got more exclusives games then both the PS4 and the Xbone (don't know what about the WiiU).

ironmang

What do you consider big games? Were Killzone, Tearaway, Uncharted, AC, COD, Freedom Wars, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, LBP, Ressistance, Wipeout and Tales of Hearts R not big games? That's 13 retail exclusive games across 2012-2014 and I didn't include stuff like Danganronpa or Ys, digital only games and multiplat. That's what I meant by irrational, when looking at all those games (exclusive or not) that the Vita was getting a lot of people were saying that it didn't have games or exclusives even though last year the Vita got more exclusives games then both the PS4 and the Xbone (don't know what about the WiiU).

Well I never said it didn't have good exclusives... just that those exclusives are in the past and I wish there were more of them in the future.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
This thread makes my Vita happy.

I really need a 64 GB memory card. If only prices weren't so high.

Talking about Vita, I'm really enjoying Tales of Hearts R. To be honest, I never even heard of its existence until a few days ago. Sony has failed miserably to give Vita a presence in the market. That and expensive low capacity memory cards.

Moobabe

if only it had games that i actually want to play :( vita exclusive and persona 5 and zero escape 3.

Man, Vita sure seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to exclusives discussions huh?

I have a PS4 and own one exclusive for it - Driveclub. That's it. Every other game I own is multiplatform - am I complaining? No - because it's a good machine with a good library, and 18 and a half million other people seem to think so too.

Now Vita has 350+ games coming out listed in this thread - and, correct me if I'm wrong, has the most games coming out in Japan of any system in next few months? (I think I saw a Kotaku article about it.) Yet we deride it because it also has a lot of ports?

I own Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS4 - I could also play it, and play it at a higher resolution, with much nicer graphics, on my PC. That doesn't lessen the game's value on other machines. The same with Vita - I can play Rogue Legacy with a keyboard on my PC, but why would I when I can play it in short, sharp bursts using sleep mode whenever I get a free moment?

People are moving the goalposts constantly with the Vita. Does it have "AAA" exclusives? No - but then no-one bought Killzone or Tearaway, so why would developers bother making big games?

Instead we have a a great piece of kit with an enormous library that, now we have all these "late" ports of "shit" indie games will start to get day and date releases for many others.

Caineghis

Neo Member
Thanks for this, ill prob get a lot of this, my vita is getting more and more love and my 3ds is running out of games >.<

Playing psp games is mandatory before that right ?
I have them in my collection but so much backlog and so little time :D
I would definitely recommend to play the PSP ones before Blood Drive.

I should also get around to playing Book of Shadows. It has been on my backlog for a while as well :p

RK128

if only it had games that i actually want to play :( vita exclusive and persona 5 and zero escape 3.

Well, all it takes is looking through the massive posts that the OP made to pick out at least five games you may find cool :D.

I can understand; the Vita isn't like the 3DS with strong first party support with a lot of major games coming every year :l. But.....even when Sony DID support the Vita with big games, did anyone buy them? No, they didn't X(. Was it due to the consumers not seeing the value of PS3/360 games on the go? The games being to expensive to make for a handheld tittle? Sony doing a poor job advertising these games to people? All was it a combination of all three factors? At this point....who honestly knows :l.....but the Vita is still alive and kicking XD!

Seeing that list of games just makes me simile; the Vita is the underdog that everyone loves and wants to see it do well. That is why so many indie developers are flocking to the system; they love how the system feels and they see how gamers love the hardware :). Japanese developers want to support the Vita due to it being a PSP2 in a lot of ways; the system is powerful and it is a natural transition into HD development. Besides, the touch screen nature of the system works great for VN's (things that are quite popular in JP :D).

If you really want AAA games on Vita.....well, that ship sailed years ago buddy :(. But, indies, JP support and Sony's 3rd party relations team all have great stuff lined up for the Vita, so sit back and see the quality that is coming this year :).

VLiberty

Man, Vita sure seems to get the short end of the stick when it comes to exclusives discussions huh?

I have a PS4 and own one exclusive for it - Driveclub. That's it. Every other game I own is multiplatform - am I complaining? No - because it's a good machine with a good library, and 18 and a half million other people seem to think so too.

Now Vita has 350+ games coming out listed in this thread - and, correct me if I'm wrong, has the most games coming out in Japan of any system in next few months? (I think I saw a Kotaku article about it.) Yet we deride it because it also has a lot of ports?

I own Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS4 - I could also play it, and play it at a higher resolution, with much nicer graphics, on my PC. That doesn't lessen the game's value on other machines. The same with Vita - I can play Rogue Legacy with a keyboard on my PC, but why would I when I can play it in short, sharp bursts using sleep mode whenever I get a free moment?

People are moving the goalposts constantly with the Vita. Does it have "AAA" exclusives? No - but then no-one bought Killzone or Tearaway, so why would developers bother making big games?

Instead we have a a great piece of kit with an enormous library that, now we have all these "late" ports of "shit" indie games will start to get day and date releases for many others.
I think it's just that most people don't actually want to play on a handheld. They only do if they're "forced" to, so to speak, if there are exclusive games.

If a handheld system is focused on multiplatform games, they'll complain because they don't want to play games on a handheld, so, if they have any home system/PC able to run these games they'll rather play them on those systems. That's also why the perceived value of Vita's library is much lower than 3DS'(which has more and bigger exclusives) despite Vita having more quality games overall.

At least that's what I've gathered in years spent on forums.

Maid

Banned
But I bought the officially localized version of Steins;Gate for my PC in early 2014.

Steins;Gate got released offiially for PC last year

My mistake then.

You see, so far I have only bought Diablo 3 for my PS4, and maybe DriveClub, but I don't go to the PS4 games thread to post shit like if only it has games I want to play. Why is it that mocking indie games on PS4 is frown upon but not the Vita?

Oxn

I think it's just that most people don't actually want to play on a handheld. They only do if they're "forced" to, so to speak, if there are exclusive games.

If a handheld system is focused on multiplatform games, they'll complain because they don't want to play games on a handheld, so, if they have any home system/PC able to run these games they'll rather play them on those systems. That's also why the perceived value of Vita's library is much lower than 3DS'(which has more and bigger exclusives) despite Vita having more quality games overall.

At least that's what I've gathered in years spent on forums.

And then if Vita gets a high profile AAA exclusive they will say, what a waste, it should have come out on console instead.

Top Bottom