• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

Jingo

Resident evil 7 didnt sold his idea too well, lot of gamers didnt know shit about what was the game about, also a lot of games came out in the first two months, it was crazy, i wanted to play resident evil 7 but i left it behind cause of other games like horizon, nier, nioh and yakuza.

I will admit it would be interesting to see how RE8 with balls to the wall action would do compared to 6 (and 7). Action has a larger casual appeal but some of the fans really fucking hated 6 and probably wouldn't be bamboozled again.

Sesha

Capcom's plan is making sequels to major franchises on a roughly 2.5 year basis, and they have a bunch of assets from RE7's development and a new engine in the RE Engine. They're not gonna drop the RE7 style now because RE7 missed its initial expectations by roughly 12% (now roughly 7%), when it already broke even days after launch.

They're gonna ride it out for at least RE8, and probably RE9.

Shame about Resi 7, but as fun as it is, I'm glad switching to first person didn't pay off for them. The game would have been far better and felt more Resident Evil like if it'd stuck to a more traditional third person perspective instead.

Capcom's plan is making sequels to major franchises on a roughly 2.5 year basis, and they have a bunch of assets from RE7's development and a new engine in the RE Engine. They're not gonna drop the RE7 style now because RE7 missed its initial expectations by roughly 12% (now roughly 7%), when it already broke even days after launch.

They're gonna ride it out for at least RE8, and probably RE9.

Depends. If sales don't pick up and it tops out at 4.5 to 4.8 million (getting to 5 million seems like a heruclean effort at this point), they may go back to TPS at the very least.

We'll know better by next March. If it keeps stalling out and selling 100K to 200K per quarter, I see a change on the horizon. RE is their biggest franchise, they can't afford for it to contract by up to 50% between games.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Its a shame, RE7 is an excellent game. Maybe holding the VR experience from PC wasn't a good idea? Both needed each other more than RE7 & PSVR did.

The greatest improvement RE6 made over its predecessors RE4 and RE5 was replacing dodging QTEs with actual gameplay. If this were RE4, or RE5, there would be a QTE when you opened this door, and you'd press a button to do a cool flip.
k1IJ9yS.gif

But in RE6, you dodge the enemy -- assuming you've mastered the game's controls despite them never being explained to you -- using core game mechanics available at all times. No more "press these two buttons to not die" nonsense. (Also worth noting they patched the game to neuter "press x to not die" cutscene QTEs, such as getting hit by trains.)

It goes without saying that RE6 has the least irritating QTEs out of the RE4/5/6 trilogy. RE4's can go die in a fire.

JayEH

I like every numbered RE. 7 was fun but it needed more content and it was really shitty of them to start selling dlc a week after launch. I don't mind them keeping survival horror focus but go back to third person. Also make a mercs game please.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Its a shame, RE7 is an excellent game. Maybe holding the VR experience from PC wasn't a good idea? Both needed each other more than RE7 & PSVR did.

As far as I know PS4 VR is just a timed exclusive. Should run out after 1 year

Maxey

I think, as a RE game, RE6 is an embarrassing entry in the franchise.

I tried to give it a real chance but it just overwhelmed me with stupidity, however that's not to say it doesn't have any real qualities. The core combat gameplay and co-op mechanics are pretty good, it was pretty much everything else that brought it down for me. The writing is trash, the level design is terrible, the QTEs are fucking garbage. I just wasn't having a good time playing that game.

REmake and RE4 are incredible games however, and I really hope they don't fuck up RE2make, because I've always heard RE2 is the best classic RE game, so the stakes are stacked pretty high there.

I was intrigued by RE7's demo but haven't been able to buy the full game yet but if the rest of the game is even better than that then I should get it when I can finally afford it.

Anyway, I hope Capcom are smart enough to realize that while RE6 sold gangbusters, they should still focus on making games that "true" RE fans can appreciate, like Revelations and REmakes.

That said, how about spinning off RE6 gameplay into either another RE spin-off or a new action IP. I think with enough refinements and a better game overall around it, they could have another hit in their hands.

Gurish

It's not as if VR was available on PC day one the game would have sold 6M. VR is extremely niche and I doubt it had any significant impact on the sales for better or worse. this

im_dany

They're going to have a hard time shipping 2 million RE7 this fiscal year if they moved 200K in three months.

I still find those numbers more than decent considering the game barely got sales (atleast here in Italy). I've never seen it go for less than half price, which is crazy with how the industry works right now.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I still find those numbers more than decent considering the game barely got sales (atleast here in Italy). I've never seen it go for less than half price, which is crazy with how the industry works right now.

In the UK/Ireland I haven't seen it for under £30 pounds. Once it hits £20 it may find a new audience of people that were put off by the perspective etc. I do hope this is what happens as it actually felt the most like REmake to me. Exploring the estate in VR was fucking incredible.

Okay so here's the thing. it's a game available worldwide and Capcom's expectations would be for it to have more than that to be decent. If this is the starting line for their 2 million goal, it's only going to sell worse and worse if they just stand there staring at sales.

CLEEK

If it hadn't been for Zelda BotW stealing its thunder, RE7 PSVR would have been the clear contender for GOTY. It's a truelty unique and astonishing gaming experience that everyone should try to play for themselves.

Enzo88

Loved re7, hopefully the keep improving on those tracks and realize that coming from that shitshow that was re6, it would have been hard to do better than this saleswise.

Resident Evil 7 in VR was the greatest gaming experience i have had for many years, Total horror experience.

I never purchased the crap that was Resi 5/6, And if they go back that route with 8 then i won't be purchasing that too.

Hopefully PCVR owners can pick up the pace when it drops for them in VR.

3.7 Million sales isn't too shabby for a new experience.

It goes without saying that RE6 has the least irritating QTEs out of the RE4/5/6 trilogy. RE4's can go die in a fire.

That's just crazy

The QTEs in RE6 are definitely the most obnoxious. The stick waggling QTEs in RE6 alone are more annoying than anything in the previous games.

How dare they make games that are not catered towars mainstream dude-bro who prefer big budget over the top action shooter.

With all due respect, people like you are sad, all you see is sales and money. Making something great and niche is a ''wasted business potential'' to you.

There are people in Capcom who are actually passionate about making unique, atmospheric horror games, they are the developers and the artists, they don't care how much money the game will make just so the higher up selfish fucks can celebrate the profit it generated. You know how I know? Cause I met a couple of them outside Shibuya station earlier this year.

This might be shocking for people like you, but there are developers who actually want to make great, unique and special games, there are people who makes games they want to make regardless of how it's gonna sell.

Seriously though, why do I even bother? People like you will never understand anyway, Shadow of the Colossus is probably a waste of investment in your eyes too, because it is noo niche, too different and sales are simply unimpressive at release.

I hope to god people like you don't work at the gaming industry. People like you squash other's dream in favor of profit.

''at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.'' what a loathsome post this is.

This post makes me even happier RE7 is flopping.

Bring back action RE so we don't have to suffer the snobbery of "true fans" telling us what to like again.

kc44135

Obviously, the shift away from action towards horror was a factor, but I wonder if the marketing and demos had anything to do with RE7's failure? I know that a lot of people (myself included) were completely put off by the trailers and initial demo, which painted the game as a walking simulator or an Outlast clone. This is still a sentiment I see now from folks who haven't played RE7. I personally wasn't convinced until I played the full game. Up until that point, RE7 just genuinely didn't seem like what I wanted from the franchise. Also, I feel like the first-person perspective in and of itself was a deal breaker for many.

Regardless of why it failed, it's very disappointing to see RE7 doing poorly. I say that as someone who thinks action RE is the best RE (RE4 is the best damn game ever, y'all), and would love a return to that style. Seeing my favorite franchise fail in any capacity is disheartening. I hope RE8 turns things around.

tzare

...It's not a reboot, though.
Whatever it is, it is a very different RE. Going 3rd person to 1st person is the thing that many like me disliked. Going back to horror instead of action was great. But changing the perspective and way you play it wasn't, imo of course.

Neff

If it hadn't been for Zelda BotW stealing its thunder, RE7 PSVR would have been the clear contender for GOTY. It's a truelty unique and astonishing gaming experience that everyone should try to play for themselves.

I didn't play RE7 in VR but I still think it's better than BotW. It's probably going to be my #1 pick this year unless Mario Odyssey dethrones it.

Obviously, the shift away from action towards horror was a factor, but I wonder if the marketing and demos had anything to do with RE7's failure? I know that a lot of people (myself included) were completely put off by the trailers and initial demo, which painted the game as a walking simulator or an Outlast clone.

I know several folks who I'd consider long-term RE fans who have yet to play RE7 because they just can not get past the way RE7 was presented as 'me too' YouTuber jumpscare bait when it was revealed.

I've tried to explain to them that the game isn't really like the game Capcom tried to sell it as, to no avail.

But I don't blame them, I really didn't like the initial trailer or the demo either.

Jake2by4

Whatever it is, it is a very different RE. Going 3rd person to 1st person is the thing that many like me disliked. Going back to horror instead of action was great. But changing the perspective you okay it wasn't, imo of course.

RE wasn't always 3rd person you know

Spman2099

This post makes me even happier RE7 is flopping.

Bring back action RE so we don't have to suffer the snobbery of "true fans" telling us what to like again.

As opposed to the action focused RE fans that tell everyone else that they are the real fans? You know, the ones that are equally as unbearable? The ones who are celebrating the fact that RE7 didn't meet its goals?

Yeah. Sure. Whatever, man.

Alienous

I see RE7's sales as the residual damage of RE6 being poorly received.

RE6 sold above what its quality and reception suggests it should have, so RE7 sells below. People are less likely to jump aboard when burned by the predecessor.

Loved re7, hopefully the keep improving on those tracks and realize that coming from that shitshow that was re6, it would have been hard to do better than this saleswise.
This attitude doesn't make sense considering how well RE6 sold at release, sold when it came to PC, sold when it came to PS4/XBO, and continues to sell. RE6 is best thought of as "The RE game people actually play." Whether you look at PSN "votes" or Steam player daily/weekly player counts, RE6 comes ahead of every other Resident Evil title by a huge margin. People want to play RE6. They don't want to play RE7. And they want to play RE4/REMAKE/etc even less. That's as simple as it gets. Now I really like RE7. I think its sales are pretty decent. But the narrative that somehow RE6 damaged RE7's sales lacks substance. If anything, RE7 damaged itself by not being anything like RE6, and struggling to hook people. RE6 had its all star cast, co-op, and flashy action moves. RE7 has... well, it's a really solid first person horror game. That was basically incomplete at release and they're finishing it via DLC.

That's just crazy

The QTEs in RE6 are definitely the most obnoxious. The stick waggling QTEs in RE6 alone are more annoying than anything in the previous games.
The stick waggling QTEs are punishment for playing poorly. Also, literally every RE game back to RE1 dual shock feature stick waggling QTEs to break free from enemy grabs.

tzare

RE wasn't always 3rd person you know
It wasn't, but it was the natural evolution. You always could see the character you were playing with.
Going third person in re4 was the way to go considering more capable hardware.
I skipped re6 because it went from horror to full action.
I skipped 7 because it went first person.

Says the fanboy and holy defender of FFXV, a game where the studio tried to go in a new direction and failed miserably.

Final Fantasy 15 is the fastest-selling game in series history
Final Fantasy 15 Ships Over 6 Million Copies
Final Fantasy 15 Broke Even On Development Costs In First 24 Hours

Critics average for the past 3 mainline FF games.
FFXIII - 83
FFXIV - 81
FFXV - 81

So even if we go by critical reception, it managed to stay in line with what the past 3 games achieved for more than a decade.

Now lets talk about Resident Evil series.

RE 5 = over 5 million sales over 3 months

RE 6 = 5.2 million sales over 6 months

RE 7 = 3.7 million sales over 6 months

Edit: Also for reference, they wanted 4 million of RE 7 sold by March 2017. It's at 3.7 million as of June 30, 2017. They also want 5.5 million sold by next March, and it did 200K this quarter.

And critical reception that people love to bring back like Resident Evil 7 received universal critical acclaim and no action Resident Evil game managed to hit that mark. WRONG!

Action Resident Evil games critical reception

Resident Evil 4 - 96
Resident Evil 5 - 83
Resident Evil 6 - 67

Resident Evil 7 is sitting at 86, which is nothing amazing nor the game changer like Resident Evil 4. Hilariously enough, it is just slightly better than what Resident Evil 5 achieved back during the launch of PS3/Xbox 360.

Now let me explain my post and what I meant by it. People just love to shit on Action Resident Evil in general when it was the highest point in the series in term of critical and commercial success. I love Resident Evil 6 but if I had to rank it among the 3 action RE games, it would be easily the lowest in the series. My ranking for the games is RE 4 > 5 > 6.

So when I was blaming Capcom for killing the potential of the series, I was talking about them going FPS, focusing on the horror, and basically wiping their hands of what made the series explode in sales. Capcom could have made a third person Resident Evil game with the best of both worlds but instead they decided to go for what? Resident Evil 7.

The game is incredible in its first half. It is easily 9/10 in the whole Baker's House. Then we go outside and then do some more stuff and it drops harder than Resident Evil 6. The combat is total shit which is what makes it so painful. The last third of the game is the worst in the series yet somehow people can give it a pass. The story is terrible with a plot twist and end boss that is one of the cheesiest in the series. The game also somehow survived criticism and outrage over its ridiculous DLC. The first DLC dropped within a week and it was so short compared to the asking price yet the reaction to that was rather mild. It was followed by another terrible set of DLC and you had to spend $25 to get these two DLC packs, half of which was basically cut content from the main game.

People love to shit on Resident Evil 6 but Resident Evil 7 also needs to be dealt with a strict hand. Lackluster last third, terrible combat and shitty DLC practices would have made it almost as bad as Resident Evil 6, which was a bloated mess that still had good gameplay to salvage it somewhat. Not to mention SHIT TON of content and endless replay value for either single player or multiplayer.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
RE7 has... well, it's a really solid first person horror game. That was basically incomplete at release and they're finishing it via DLC.

RE7 was definitely complete at launch, though, in terms of what we expected it would offer. It has a full campaign with a really interesting extra difficulty with some new twists and genuine challenge. The DLC released/announced so far are just extensions of that; they're not really filling in some sort of gap in a way that screamed "I expected and needed this as part of the launch product or the launch product was incomplete". Even the "Not A Hero" DLC isn't needed to "complete" that certain moment in the third act.

So while I like RE6 and acknowledge it's certainly more well-liked than people will ever accept given the initial disdain, I don't think RE7 being "incomplete at release" is accurate.

A word on the DLC expansion would be nice and could help sales. I thinkRE7 will end up with an LTD of 6 million. Very impressive for what it is but obviously not reaching the heights of RE4,5,6.

I'm glad they made a great game though, unlike RE6, which caused so much disappointment and resentment in the dedicated fanbase.

It sold well and has a 81 on MC, which is lol, not extremely well. Worst reviewed mainline FF. Failure is my opinion, should include that next time.

In my subjective opinion.

Your opinion is meaningless though. FFXV had the best debut sales of the franchise, brought record profits for SE, single-handedly reinvigorated their investment into SP FF and is on track to become one of the best selling entries in the series alongside FFX, FFVII and FFVIII.

Fenderman89

Neo Member
Capcom isn't in a good enough financial shape to be taking those hits though. They need some money makers or they won't be able to make anything.

Street Fighter V could've been something, if only they'd put some efforts in it.
Monster Hunter could sell megatons if it will be spread between Ps4 and Switch with separated entries (and PC too).
Many other franchises have been abandoned or rushed by Capcom, with very negative results.
RE has already been forced to change a lot (for the worst) in previous entries: I don't think it deserves to be milked even more just because it sells, sacrificing quality and creativity. You can build a lot upon RE7 numbers, and as a gamer, I don't like to send a message that sounds like "I want a game that sells over a quality game".

We all know Capcom problems lay elsewhere: it's not RE's fault.

People want to play RE6. They don't want to play RE7. And they want to play RE4/REMAKE/etc even less. That's as simple as it gets.

Except that RE6 is far from the best selling of the remasters.

That was basically incomplete at release and they're finishing it via DLC.

lol, where does this come from now? The DLC will be a bonus story. The game itself was not only complete, but more polished at release than many other big releases nowadays.

RE7 was definitely complete at launch, though, in terms of what we expected it would offer.
The plot has gigantic holes. Not "plot holes", but rather massive "so what happened to... and... and... and... and..." holes. I didn't expect RE7's plot to have gigantic holes. That's where the DLC comes in.

Peroroncino

Shame about Resi 7, but as fun as it is, I'm glad switching to first person didn't pay off for them. The game would have been far better and felt more Resident Evil like if it'd stuck to a more traditional third person perspective instead.

I feel the same.

I'd like for them to go back to the horror-action style, but if they wanna continue with the pure horror, at least do it from the 3rd person perspective.

Renekton

Yeah, RE6 was incredibly successful overall.

Shipped ~4.8-5.1 million around launch (I forget the exact number).

Climbed to 6.8 million on 360/PS3/PC alone.

Moved another 1.1 million with the HD remaster.

It's certainly less than RE5, but it's still a very large number.
Holy crap.

Screw core horror fans, cinematic action it is.

Jake2by4

The plot has gigantic holes. Not "plot holes", but rather massive "so what happened to... and... and... and... and..." holes. I didn't expect RE7's plot to have gigantic holes. That's where the DLC comes in.

No it's not incomplete, that's like saying re4 was incomplete till separate ways came out.

Ivan 3414

I see RE7's sales as the residual damage of RE6 being poorly received.

RE6 sold above what its quality and reception suggests it should have, so RE7 sells below. People are less likely to jump aboard when burned by the predecessor.

RE6 rerelease for PS4/XB1 sold over 1 million copies.

Let's put an end to this narrative.

sublimit

Banned
Huge RE fan here and still haven't bought RE7.

I used to love the series because it was a nice blend of 3rd person action/adventure and survival horror with very few jumpscares and a focus on atmosphere.

Due to Capcom trying to follow trends (rather than make them) RE6 was too much action and RE7 was too much redneck jumpscare horror (judging from what i played in the demos and from videos i've watched).I have no interest in either directions personally.

tzare

Huge RE fan here and still haven't bought RE7.

I used to love the series because it was a nice blend of 3rd person action/adventure and survival horror with very few jumpscares and a focus on atmosphere.

Due to Capcom trying to follow trends (rather than make them) RE6 was too much action and RE7 was too much redneck jumpscare horror (judging from what i played in the demos and from videos i've watched).I have no interest in either directions personally.
Agree so much

Neff

RE6 had its all star cast, co-op, and flashy action moves. RE7 has... well, it's a really solid first person horror game. That was basically incomplete at release and they're finishing it via DLC.

Solid summary. No matter one's preference, it's plain as day that RE6 is an inherently more commercial product with a better value proposition.

Top Bottom