• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UTGP2017: Uniqlo T-shirt contest lists NX as prize in Spring 2017

From the website:

Q01:What are the prizes?

The Grand Prize is £7,000 + an invitation to the awards ceremony in which Shigeru Miyamoto will participate + a new concept game console NX (DEVELOPMENT CODENAME) from Nintendo specially autographed by Shigeru Miyamoto+ Special commemorative prize The 2nd Prize is £2,100 + an invitation to the awards ceremony in which Shigeru Miyamoto will participate + a new concept game console NX (DEVELOPMENT CODENAME) from Nintendo specially autographed by Shigeru Miyamoto Runners-up receive £350

Q02:If I were to win the Grand Prize, when would I be going to the awards ceremony?
The tour is planned for spring 2017.

It's a T-Shirt design contest judged by Miyamoto and essentially confirms that the NX will be on the market in Spring 2017, which very heavily implies it will release in March 2017, its currently planned release date, which many here are skeptical about.

I suppose Uniqlo could change the prize if the NX gets delayed but seeing as how they're clearly working closely with Nintendo for this contest, I doubt they'd get the go-ahead to list the NX as a prize unless Nintendo believes it will be out then.

Lock in spin cycle if old.

I mean, that's their currently announced plan. Spring 2017.

If it were going to slip from that, they wouldn't announce it in a Uniqlo contest. The information there is not legally binding for when they release the product.

Shang

willing to make my bet now-- the runners-up get $350 so they have just enough to buy an NX console.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I mean, that's their currently announced plan. Spring 2017.

If it were going to slip from that, they wouldn't announce it in a Uniqlo contest. The information there is not legally binding for when they release the product.

The thing is that many people think it's a flat-out lie which only top Nintendo execs are in on. so we end up with threads like this, useless as they are.

The thing is that many people think it's a flat-out lie which only top Nintendo execs are in on. so we end up with threads like this, useless as they are.

Even if it were, they would still stick to the lie in public.

Lying to investors knowing you're lying to them is kind of not super great.

The other thing I've heard a few times is that Nintendo has a history of hardware delays, which is nonsense - post-N64, I don't think a single hardware platform of theirs has been delayed from an officially announced date or timeframe, save for the NA GC launch, which was delayed a grand total of two weeks. (3DS was probably originally intended for holiday 2010, and Wii U was probably originally intended for Q2 2012, but those platforms were never officially announced for those dates.)

I mean, it could be delayed, but claiming that Nintendo is lying to investors or that there's ample precedent for that is dumb.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Even if it were, they would still stick to the lie in public.

Lying to investors knowing you're lying to them is kind of not super great.

I know, but you still get a ton of people here believing that it's not a target at all and that it's just to please investors or mask projections or... something. I don't understand the logic at all (does it really make a difference when you're going to need to announce the real target at some point anyway?), but I guess that's just how people think sometimes. There are even people in that thread who think it won't even be revealed yet come April.

If it misses March, it'll be due to a late delay, not because they're already planning to miss the officially announced date. :/

I know, but you still get a ton of people here believing that it's not a target at all and that it's just to please investors or mask projections or... something. I don't understand the logic at all (does it really make a difference when you're going to need to announce the real target at some point anyway?), but I guess that's just how people think sometimes. There are even people in that thread who think it won't even be revealed yet come April.

If it misses March, it'll be due to a late delay, not because they're already planning to miss the officially announced date. :/

It also bears noting that Nintendo was under no obligation to shareholders to launch NX this FY; they had never made any such promise. It was implicit in Iwata's talk of a return to Nintendo-like profits this FY, but only implicit, and Kimishima had already backed away from that.

So yeah, if they didn't honestly believe they could make the March date, there was literally no incentive not to just be honest and take the hit up front.

It also bears noting that Nintendo was under no obligation to shareholders to launch NX this FY; they had never made any such promise. It was implicit in Iwata's talk of a return to Nintendo-like profits this FY, but only implicit, and Kimishima had already backed away from that.

So yeah, if they didn't honestly believe they could make the March date, there was literally no incentive not to just be honest and take the hit up front.

I think March '16 is their "We want to get this out because we want to end the FY strong" and not "We have to get this out because we have to end the FY strong."

Top Bottom