• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNIQLO design competition (UTGP) 2017's theme is Nintendo

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Argh, if the deadline weren't end of August, I might have thought about doing this. Seems like a cool thing to try, even if just for fun. Besides, I've been wanting to try my hand at some Kirby art for years.

EulaCapra

My god yes! I've always loved Uniqlo clothing and their special printed tees. This is actually a really cool promotion.

element

IYhdfyC.png

Contests like this are awful. You are pretty much asking people to work for free. There are two prizes, but they don't really say how many submissions will be turned into shirt that will be sold.

This is a huge company getting free work from people.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about this more, I think this is a great marketing move and bodes well for IP usage and exposure in this upcoming generation. This is a good start to NX's marketing.

Draw Iwata's Kirby :(

Is there a particular design that Iwata is known for? An Iwata tribute could be really nice, though I don't think they'd choose it.

Nanashrew

Banned
IYhdfyC.png

Contests like this are awful. You are pretty much asking people to work for free. There are two prizes, but they don't really say how many submissions will be turned into shirt that will be sold.

It's actually incredibly normal and usually how these kinds of contents go.

element

It's actually incredibly normal and usually how these kinds of contents go.
I understand that is how it works. What I'm saying is it is wrong. Outside of two "winners", Nintendo is pretty much going to steal any design they think are good enough to make money on.

I understand that is how it works. What I'm saying is it is wrong. Outside of two "winners", Nintendo is pretty much going to steal any design they think are good enough to make money on.

It's true, but on the other hand if they made your design, you still end up with your design being mass-produced by a big retailer. Which if you're a a designer, you can still show off and put on your resume.

Not Nintendo, UNIQLO will be given the rights to the designs submitted, it IS a contest under their brand after all.

I get what you are saying but this is not exactly stealing they are asking you to use their IP on a shirt design. Something they could have hired a professional to do.

I hate the Vans x Nintendo shoe designs I feel I could do better, yet that was not an open contest. Someone got paid for that mess.

Here at least we get 20-30 designs made by fans of these IPs

Also Designers who feel this way will not enter a contest like this. You would sound like a sore loser to complain about failing to get rewarded for your hard work.

If you feel the winners get rewarded while other participants work hard and get nothing you should ask an Olympian how they feel about coming in 14th in a race where only 3 medals are given when they worked so hard for years to prepare for that event.

Do not enter a contest if you do not like how the losers are treated.

Thinking about this more, I think this is a great marketing move and bodes well for IP usage and exposure in this upcoming generation. This is a good start to NX's marketing.

Is there a particular design that Iwata is known for? An Iwata tribute could be really nice, though I don't think they'd choose it.

IP use has already been used super extensively since Iwata talked about opening up more licensing deals. Aside from clothing collaborations with well known brands we have figures produced by figuarts, nenoroids, Jakks, Dark House, etc. Extending to franchise like Star Fox and Mario.

There's also Mario candy, Vitamins, bed sheets, etc.

I'm going to make a thread eventually on how much stuff there is recently.

8bit

Knows the Score
What if I extract images from an emulator? There are some specific designs I'd like to try out, but I can't draw for shit and I think they would lose some charm by not being pixelly.

IYhdfyC.png

Well a few people will get paid, but yes that's absolutely true. The corporate world calls this "crowdsourcing".

In fact, NeoGAF is very similar. We spend time and effort to dissect and discuss various aspects of the gaming industry - for free and open for public consumption. Regardless if you believe the various analyses (NX speculation threads, for example) to be accurate, they are still incredibly valuable to any entertainment company. It's as if we are literally describing in intimate detail "this is what we want". Usually firms have to pay large sums for market research, focus groups and to train their own employees to think this way. Truth is we give it away for free.

Just a thought.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I think I am going to participate in this contest.

TheJoRu

So you're saying the NX is something I can physically write on?

Can't believe this is the level of knowledge we're at right now when it comes to NX, lol.

I sure hope it stays that way until the reveal. I want raw reactions, extreme hype, doomsayings and meltdowns galore in the reveal thread.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Pretty lame that Nintendo isn't even giving character art to use, and it sounds like we can't use any existing Nintendo character art, either. It's bizarre that Nintendo would even be okay with fan art designs on official shirts. But hopefully we'll see some better entries than the Moschino or Vans Nintendo wear.

yeah what the fuck, you have to use talent?

IYhdfyC.png

Exposure ain't gonna pay my bills, yo. Screw that.

PMS341

jokes aside, i would wear it...

i would just add a Zelda logo at the bottom right.

The more subtle, the better (despite this particular design!). Works better aesthetically without the logo to remind you what series it comes from.

Then again, it all depends on the balance of the shirt design itself. This one is just a bit too busy for a logo.

Well this kind of sucks. Found under Regulations:

Characters from different games may not coexist in one design. Example: Mario and Legend of Zelda should not exist in one T-shirt design. However, Mario and Luigi may be used in one design.

There goes my dream of buying a Nintendo shirt that features all the franchises.

Hopefully they still have at least one shirt per franchise.

I also really, really, really, don't want half the entries (or God forbid more) to be Mario and Zelda shirts. There are already a shut ton of official ones out there. With Miyamoto as judge though I can easily see them being favored.

Forkball

Well this kind of sucks. Found under Regulations:

There goes my dream of buying a Nintendo shirt that features all the franchises.

Hopefully they still have at least one shirt per franchise.

I also really, really, really, don't want half the entries (or God forbid more) to be Mario and Zelda shirts. There are already a shut ton of official ones out there. With Miyamoto as judge though I can easily see them being favored.

Can Luigi and Diddy Kong interact? We are in some murky waters here.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
IYhdfyC.png

Do they choose to make t-shirts from designs that didn't even get a runner-up award? They don't say how many "runners-up" there will be, which makes me think that if your design is turned into a shirt, you'd at least be a runner-up. In that case, everyone would be getting at least $500 for the design.

They are definitely crowdsourcing and that's kind of sketchy. And perhaps I'm being too optimistic by thinking that all selected winners would at least be considered a runner-up. But I do think there's a chance everyone is getting some compensation.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
OT since it's not Nintendo, but I was in a Uniqlo store at Seoul a few years ago and ended up buying this:

d4OQOiI.jpg

I'm not even the biggest monhun fan but I couldn't resist it.

Do they choose to make t-shirts from designs that didn't even get a runner-up award? They don't say how many "runners-up" there will be, which makes me think that if your design is turned into a shirt, you'd at least be a runner-up. In that case, everyone would be getting at least $500 for the design.

They are definitely crowdsourcing and that's kind of sketchy. And perhaps I'm being too optimistic by thinking that all selected winners would at least be considered a runner-up. But I do think there's a chance everyone is getting some compensation.

Even then the runners-up prizes are pretty small. They should be giving xx% of the sales of the shirts to the people that design them, really.

Calvero

Banned
IYhdfyC.png

but think of all the free exposure. if anything they're doing you a FAVOR

Alienous

So, if you can't combine franchises, this is basically a Mario or Zelda T-shirt competition, right? Maybe Splatoon has a chance.

SalvaPot

You mean UNIQLO.

Oh, sad, Earthbound/Mother is not included in the contest. I was tempted to get my hand on a Mr. Saturn design, oh well.

Their FAQ is really unhelpful. Like, do fanart designs of their characters actually have a chance at winning? I think I'll submit one design using their standard art and another with my own design to cover the cases.

MLH

I'm really tempted to have a go at this but...

Q03 Can I use graphics of Nintendo games series found on the internet?
The use of materials that you have designed is permitted. Editing or processing visuals that have been previously released by others is not permitted.

The FAQ isn't exactly helpful in saying if I can use Nintendo's own renders and marketing images. For example, could I use this image in my design:

ZbrXbMi.png
?

Then if I wanted to make a stylised version of that image, I'm guessing that's not allowed because of this:

Can I change the color and/or alter the designs of the characters from Nintendo games and use the altered versions in my designs?
The use of materials that you have designed is permitted. Editing or processing visuals that have been previously released by others is not permitted.

Just to complete list of useless answers from the FAQ we have this:

Can I use props, quotes and such from Nintendo games series in my designs?

Same annoying vague answer used for all three questions... does 'others' include Nintendo? Quotes like "It's dangerous to go alone take this" or "The princess is in another castle!" are not allowed?
I thought this competition was a celebration of Nintendo, why wouldn't we be allowed to reference Nintendo's own products?

So I'm guessing I can only hand draw my designs, which I'm not very good at. Plus I don't have any equipment with me to upload to the PC to clean up the design...
The FAQ has really deterred me.

Top Bottom