• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve to hold Steam Dev Days conference in January (No Media).

@casskhaw Valve has plans for e-gifting money to your friends on Steam (finally!) but no release date yet though. #SteamDevDays

-MD-

I don't think that's necessary. I'd rather see a Team Fortress 2.5 with the map pool tightened up, the hats purged according to the original stricter art style and a greater focus on new modes that weren't possible in the old engine. The game feels so unfocused and busy nowadays compared to how it used to feel. I want to play TF2 and be able to enjoy it as the team-based multiplayer game it was meant to be, when everyone used to talk about strategy instead of what effect their hat had.

Or that. Either way works for me, game just feels like you said too unfocused.

Nista

Your boyfriend must be one patient guy. =P

Nah, he just doesn't bother with tongue in cheek Internet discourse. I just have my own reservations about developing on Steam... Though it would be tempting to sell him to Valve for all the games. ;)

Sentenza

Damn, all this is going right over my head. Can anyone explain why this is important?
Apparently a competent debugger was the single most requested development tool missing to encourage developers to jump on Linux/OGL, streamlining the process a lot, and Valve is delivering exactly that.

It's pretty much a big deal in Linux development regardless of how successful this can be for Valve's goals, from what I grasped reading here and there.

Ubisoft dev

"Interesting how everyone on Twitter is so excited at #steamdevdays. Wasn't the same with MS and Sony. Because secrecy, but also because(...)"

"Valve: "we have all these features, feel free to use them". MS/Sony/Nintendo: "we have these features, you have to support them""

"@melchiorcorgie you're comparing a conference event to a press event tho? Neither MS nor Sony have community engagement like this (afaik)"

"@LukeD there were leaks about tech conferences from MS/Sony. But your right the community wasn't involved"

Chev

Damn, all this is going right over my head. Can anyone explain why this is important?
A lot of Microsoft's power in 3D apis comes from the fact they make darn good tools. When your shader crashes or doesn't do what you'd expect it to do you want to know why, what you had in memory, etc, but since GPUs are like mini-computers inside your computer it's really hard to get that data. Unless you're using the directx debugger, that is, because it's one of those darn good tools. But until now if you were working with opengl instead of DX you were on your own. A lot of unwillingness from devs to switch to opengl is that it lacks that kind of good tools.

How is the potential of OGL compared to DX? I mean is OGL able to do everything DX does at this point? If not how far behing is it?

People that have top of the line machines want to have top of the line effects on their games. These people would never go to OGL/Linux if the same experience of DX was not mantained!

Thanks guys, I now understand why this is a big deal. It is incredible how much excitement there is among developers for Steam Dev Days, the event is a massive success. I'd say Valve can look forward to a lot of Linux support in the future.

Dolor

Really like the new controller look and expect it to be better than previous iteration.

Only reservation now is if the d-pad type buttons will be appropriate, but I much prefer this button layout to previous.

JaggedSac

Ubisoft dev

"Interesting how everyone on Twitter is so excited at #steamdevdays. Wasn't the same with MS and Sony. Because secrecy, but also because(...)"

"Valve: "we have all these features, feel free to use them". MS/Sony/Nintendo: "we have these features, you have to support them""

"@melchiorcorgie you're comparing a conference event to a press event tho? Neither MS nor Sony have community engagement like this (afaik)"

"@LukeD there were leaks about tech conferences from MS/Sony. But your right the community wasn't involved"

Strange things to say. MS has developer conferences every year.

Ivan

Something I'd really like to see (I know I won't):

Text input is still a huge problem on any standard gamepad. Whatever you do, it's just not good enough, and text input is very important while gaming, especially on pc.

How about some very cheap, low quality, black and white screen in the middle just for text input. It's black and unobtrusive all the time, but when you click on it you get white illuminated keyboard like on smartphones. Full keyboard with prediction etc. I wonder if that could be cheap enough...

Pirabear

Banned
So, will these conferences ever be shown to the public? I honestly don't care if there are no "announcements", I'm just genuinely interested in hearing Valve's VR talks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
@casskhaw Valve has plans for e-gifting money to your friends on Steam (finally!) but no release date yet though. #SteamDevDays

I'd love to be able to ditch PayPal but I don't see Valve allowing cross-currency transactions and I assume this stance is why the scope of supported currencies is being broadened.

did you get my pm?

seemed like devs were definitely excited

"glslang GLSL compiler could be serious shiznit, can’t wait to check it out #OpenGL #SteamDevDays"

"QtCreator, another great tool I wasn’t aware of. Probably cause I used to despise Qt. Mea culpa! #SteamDevDays"

"Wonderful! Valve talk on Linux debugging: Secret weapon is using Qt-Creator (latest). Works great. Huzzah! I use less GDB. ;D #SteamDevDays"

looks like a useful method

"reduce non-#gamedev noise in your stream == use search operators: #steamdevdays lang:en near:"47.6114228,-122.3315379" within:1mi"

edit: maybe you can leave that 'within:1mi' part out

The Corporate Anthropology of Valve And Why It Matters. Guess it doesn't matter too much, session cancelled. #steamdevdays #conspiracytheory

The "Corporate Anthropology of Valve" session at 5PM has been cancelled. #SteamDevDays

The Corporate Anthropology of Valve And Why It Matters. Guess it doesn't matter too much, session cancelled. #steamdevdays #conspiracytheory

The "Corporate Anthropology of Valve" session at 5PM has been cancelled. #SteamDevDays

I was excited to read the tweets about that session :(

Interfectum

Every conference I go to they always cancel the last few sessions on the last day. I think people just start leaving after lunch to catch a plane home.

BeHtfbzCMAAbekN.jpg:large

Today may be the offshore earthquake that will soon create the tidal wave of developer support for OpenGL and Linux game development.

If Microsoft is truly ignoring this, which they are not .... Can't be, they will be seeing themselves out of the consumer PC realm in 5 years.

Bring on the Revolution. It's about time for one.

Top Bottom