• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various Marvel vs. Capcom titles/DLC being delisted from XBL/PSN soon

The Light

As I said in the weekly, the same thing happened with Activision and ultimate alliance I guess we should have seen this coming. However what I don't understand is ultimate marvel is not that old, so if this is due to expired license why wouldn't Capcom renew it? All Capcom marvel needs to happen so situations like this can be avoided.

Silky

Banned
Yeah, that 40 million probably would have paid for it AND a PC port which would further help preserve this title. Capcom gonna Capcom I guess.

lol you seriously think a pc port would make back the money capcom invested in maintaining the license (which again doesnt matter because marvel/disney) instead of a guaranteed money boat like mobile games come on

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yea this is a big issue brought up in the FGW. If a console does not have Shuma/Jill on it then that console cannot be used in tournaments period.

If Capcom is OK with this then they truly do not give a fuck about the game competitively.
It's not about if they're okay with it more as if they're able to do something about it without compromising their business. You think any company is okay with delisting a product that will generate revenue regardless over time?

Surely they have the money to renew the license?
You don't know how much Marvel is asking. Not only that but if they take a split of profits, you have to consider how much Capcom is left with at the end of the day to make it worthwhile to push through.

It's more than just throwing money at Marvel to make it happen. Marvel is also notoriously stingy and adamant when it comes to licensing MvC.

All of these reasons plus more compound into why a new update has always been incredibly unlikely. The development team doesn't even exist anymore.

Valnen

lol you seriously think a pc port would make back the money capcom invested in maintaining the license (which again doesnt matter because marvel/disney) instead of a guaranteed money boat like mobile games come on
My main interest is not wanting this game to die off.

It's not about if they're okay with it more as if they're able to do something about it without compromising their business. You think any company is okay with delisting a product that will generate revenue regardless over time?

You don't know how much Marvel is asking. Not only that but if they take a split of profits, you have to consider how much Capcom is left with at the end of the day to make it worthwhile to push through.

It's more than just throwing money at Marvel to make it happen. Marvel is also notoriously stingy and adamant when it comes to licensing MvC.

All of these reasons plus more compound into why a new update has always been incredibly unlikely. The development team doesn't even exist anymore.
Which blows my mind, because Capcom is the only company that makes a game involving Marvel characters which isn't shit.

Silky

Banned

could've sworn he was the one who requested to use Shuma at NEC >_>

My main interest is not wanting this game to die off.

so boo mahvel, not capcom. as someone said earlier marvel's kinda dickish w/ licenses

Which blows my mind, because Capcom is the only company that makes a game involving Marvel characters which isn't shit.

well,

Traveller's Tales, Raven Software, and to a lesser extent....Beenox and High Moon make great MARVEL games

Dahbomb

So is the dream of a UMvC3 patch dead now? (Or at least deader than its ever been?)
If tomorrow nothing is said to address this then this is the final nail in the coffin.

As a MD I will call the time of death to make it official.

PRRog used Shuma at NEC as a counter strat to ChrisG.

Did he mislabel 2 in the title or write it wrong while saying

The games that will be leaving the PSN and XBLA stores are:

- Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 – PS3 / 360

- Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 – PSN / XBLA

Must be because neither version was available for the PS3 via the PSN (I checked constantly) the only version of UMvC3 you can get off the PSN is for the Vita.

That being said I own MvC2 (PSN) and UMvC3 (disc), not my favorite fighters but I can't say anything bad about them.

Blackage

So is the dream of a UMvC3 patch dead now? (Or at least deader than its ever been?)

Yep, probably done until they make Marvel 4. Then we might get ports of Marvel 3(And we can ask for patch again then! lol) on PS4/X1.

The other games probably don't rate as high, but they move more numbers for cheaper probably. I wouldn't be surprised if Ultimate Alliance moved more and we don't know how much something like Marvel Heroes brings in.

The problem is and always has been Marvel in the gaming space.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wow, it's really low that two characters are going to be permanently lost for new players/owners of the game.

By all rights, this should have been the excuse Capcom needed to prepare one final patch before the license expired. They could have used it to address the final glitches and unlocked Jill and Shuma permanently.

Blackage

Wait wait wait, maybe we're all being negative nancies, and Capcom might be announcing a final edition of Marvel on sale after Capcom Cup with all the DLC chars and costumes and.....A patch?! Yeah?! Yeah!

I can dream. :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ah damnit - my UMVC3 has had 3 huge cracks in the center for ages now due to that stupid case it came in. The one with the part in the middle where you have to push down in the middle to get it to pop up. I doubt I can even buy this game on disc now since it had already disappeared so long ago too.

Lemstar

Wow at those dlc prices. Even half off their still expensive. $10 for alternate costumes? $5 a piece for Shuma and Jill? Yeesh
$10 for 47 new models (not just recolors) isn't that bad, even if (subjective) most of them look kinda goofy.

The two DLC characters should be $2.49 each. $5 is normal price.

Looks like I am getting Shuma/Jill and Marvel Origins (just in case, also it is on sale anyway) tomorrow. I don't play UMVC3 a lot but there is a fair chance this stuff will never come back up.

Reverend

Neo Member
Why would they be free

Ideally, because withholding content behind a DLC pay wall and then making it impossible to download that content at a later date is unbelievably scummy. I understand that it may not be their desire to delist this content, but just throwing your hands up and going 'if it's gone, it's gone!' whilst continuing to sell the base product is a dick move.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ideally, because withholding content behind a DLC pay wall and then making it impossible to download that content at a later date is unbelievably scummy.

The notion that licences expiring should preclude the continued distribution of content that was developed and released within the scope of the licensing period is old hat to me.

Reverend

Neo Member
The notion that licences expiring should preclude the continued distribution of content that was developed and released within the scope of the licensing period is old hat to me.

I'm definitely not trying to say that this isn't standard business practice, but it's still a dirtbag way to do business.

Being a business doesn't mean you have to be a dickhead. Your attitude towards it is reductive of the problem at hand.

But what incentive does Capcom have to give them away for free? Or any other company, for that matter? I agree it's scummy, but wanting it for free is just silly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm definitely not trying to say that this isn't standard business practice, but it's still a dirtbag way to do business.

Oh, I know. I was just expressing my thoughts on what I think is a dated practice.

Reverend

Neo Member
But what incentive does Capcom have to give them away for free? Or any other company, for that matter? I agree it's scummy, but wanting it for free is just silly.

It's not me 'wanting' things for free. It's not even about the cost, really- it's about the implications. Capcom has no incentive, but that wasn't my point.

In a perfect world, free from all the cynicism, Capcom would blow it out because it's the right thing to do. That won't ever happen, of course, because this isn't a perfect world. What this should stand as is an indication of the dark side of an all digital future and as a warning to all of us.

In a perfect world, free from all the cynicism, Capcom would blow it out because it's the right thing to do.

Do you see now why I thought it was silly? :lol

This isn't the first time things have been delisted from the online store, and it won't be the last. My soul still burns that Phantasy Star Portable 2 was taken down, despite the fact that it's still in my download history. I didn't start thinking that people should've gotten it for free, though.

ILoveBish

Only the PS3 versions are discounted. Vita versions are not. The PS3 versions have cross-buy and should include the Vita versions:
Jill PS3 version $2.49
Shuma-Gorath PS3 version $2.49

There are different versions pages for the DLC, there is a vita specific one, but the links you provided for the 2.49 priced ones for sure give you them on vita and ps3, i just got both and had both characters on my vita version once i downloaded the dlc. And man, does marvel look and play INCREDIBLE on the vita, i forgot how amazing the port is.

HardRojo

Wait, does this mean that people who don't get Shuma and Jill before the deadline will not be able to get them at all after all's said and done?

Reverend

Neo Member
Do you see now why I thought it was silly? :lol

This isn't the first time things have been delisted from the online store, and it won't be the last. My soul still burns that Phantasy Star Portable 2 was taken down, despite the fact that it's still in my download history. I didn't start thinking that people should've gotten it for free, though.

I never misunderstood what you were saying. I'm coming from the perspective of a jaded optimist, which is a bad fucking place to be if you're a fan of Capcom products.

This brings up an interesting point, though. In this case, what's being lost is some DLC. What if Steam decided (as is their rights, read your TOS) to close up shop tomorrow. No more access to your games. No more anything. That's what an all digital future could be. It's scary.

Wait, does this mean that people who don't get Shuma and Jill before the deadline will not be able to get them at all after all's said and done?

That's exactly what it means.

its a little weird because Jill is owned by Capcom but yes if this is true you will be unable to get them

and stuff like this rarely ever gets put back up again

Top Bottom