• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming sales decline 9%

Conduit

Banned
The period had some fairly big titles and content patches that should have kept steady business for them. The competition did launch strong titles like

Digimon - February
MLB 16 The Show, Senran Kagura - March
Ratchet and Clank - April
Uncharted 4 - May

Fixed. :D

The Xbox is in a precarious position, and if the division delivers another big disappointment for MS...you have to ask why they would keep banging their head against the wall.

The positioning is already in place to move to Win 10 either through the Xbox apps or through some future front end UI that makes a PC console-esque. If the current box continues to flounder, if play anywhere doesn't gain significant traction and if Scorpio doesn't reverse the fortunes, what else can they do but transition away from making dedicated HW?

If all these three things happen, who the heck would think that they'd continue and make even another box?

Apt101

I personally think going high end with Scorpio is a good idea. If console gamers buy into the mobile model of hardware refreshes, having the best option for such a thing next year would place them in a good position.

But IMO I think MS should really be focusing on building a team and strategy for tackling the worldwide market. They seem flaccid outside of the US, parts of the UK, and Canada. Sony eats their lunch everywhere else. It's not like Microsoft doesn't have the resources and presence.

I can only speak for myself but they've done a terrible job convincing me I need an Xbox One, so I haven't picked one up yet. Maybe they'll get me back with Scorpio but I don't have much confidence in the Xbox team anymore.

Depends on how the high end box is marketed, how it compares to the competition, and how people who own it view it.

Don't get me wrong, I would be pretty surprised if the Scorpio is anything above $499.99 but people will view it "worth it" if it can prove why it's that price.

This will be the big question and i honestly think they wont fuck it up this time

The timing of a possible launch late next year means that we could have a forza/halo and crackdown launch titles and if its priced right you might end up with a very successful launch considering the sony alternative appears to be a half step generation wise but in saying that we could be moving more towards not having console generations and simply have games with low/med and high settings and the hardware slowly creeps up each year or 2 years.

Ms were also throwing around the idea of a 12/24 month contract with free gold as a way to get more people owning an xbox so launch price may not even be an issue....they just want you in their windows ecosystem with every windows device connected

If you dont want to spend 3k on a gaming pc then 25-40 bucks a month for a device that runs windows apps as well as games sounds pretty good

RedRum

Banned
like the xbox one selling well?

Xbox continues to get support and updates, there's still games and will be more, I look forward to sharing gamespace with PC, the slim is on the horizon, and we'll get a nice upgrade late next year.

Tell me why I should be worried again?

Yeah it's strange.

It says "Xbox and gaming revenue for Microsoft decreased $152 million during its fiscal fourth quarter." but who has a 4th quarter then? The US fiscal quarter is typically 1 July 2016 – 30 September.

Counting April to June as your 4th would make 1 July – 30 September you first fiscal quarter of the year

Correct. Microsoft financial year runs 1 July - 30 June.

mnemonicj

All in all, adversity brings great opportunities. I really did not enjoy gaming with a Microsoft console last generation, but I really don't want them to move away from console gaming. Competition is always good for us consumers. Hopefully they can dig deep and offer us great deals and games soon. Jiayou Microsoft!

GHG

This will be the big question and i honestly think they wont fuck it up this time

The timing of a possible launch late next year means that we could have a forza/halo and crackdown launch titles and if its priced right you might end up with a very successful launch considering the sony alternative appears to be a half step generation wise but in saying that we could be moving more towards not having console generations and simply have games with low/med and high settings and the hardware slowly creeps up each year or 2 years.

Ms were also throwing around the idea of a 12/24 month contract with free gold as a way to get more people owning an xbox so launch price may not even be an issue....they just want you in their windows ecosystem with every windows device connected

If you dont want to spend 3k on a gaming pc then 25-40 bucks a month for a device that runs windows apps as well as games sounds pretty good

These types of contracts already exist in territories where the xbox one has really been struggling.

http://www.etisalat.ae/nrd/en/personal/devices_catalogue/xbox_playstation.jsp

Let me tell you how much difference it has made (well, at least here in the UAE) - none.

I love people are saying that Scorpio will save them!

When has a most powerful console increased sales?

People buy consoles for the price and ease of use.

Also, fucking terrible move putting Xbox games on PC.

These types of contracts already exist in territories where the xbox one has really been struggling.

http://www.etisalat.ae/nrd/en/personal/devices_catalogue/xbox_playstation.jsp

Let me tell you how much difference it has made (well, at least here in the UAE) - none.

Those deals look horrible which is probably why nobody takes them up....those 3rd party dealers add in anywhere from 25 to 200% interest to entice people with low incomes to sign up.

if they are priced more like a mobile phone contract youd be in buisiness.

I mean last time they had a clear tech lead they were vying for last place with Nintendo. Who both are selling almost similar numbers as then as well.

Bastables

I keep hearing that Scorpio is not going to sell, it'll be too expensive, it'll be only niche..

I heard the same thing about the Elite Controller too. It's not going to sell, too expensive, $150lol, it's for a niche crowd. And the elite winded up selling VERY well. I think Scorpio will do just fine.

One million sales..... over 9 months

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/747882752662331392

if that's the lowered bench mark of course the scorpio will do very well. Or you might re-think equating console sales with high margin peripheral sales

wapplew

Slow quarter and only 8% drop. Can't keep growing year after year right? Business have up and down, very normal, don't read too much into it.

Is this the first time Xbox revenue drop in Xbox one era?

kyser73

I keep hearing that Scorpio is not going to sell, it'll be too expensive, it'll be only niche..

I heard the same thing about the Elite Controller too. It's not going to sell, too expensive, $150lol, it's for a niche crowd. And the elite winded up selling VERY well. I think Scorpio will do just fine.

That's a terrible example to use, unless of course MS are completely changing strategy to sell a high margin, low volume, high performance console.

Mrbob

The positioning is already in place to move to Win 10 either through the Xbox apps or through some future front end UI that makes a PC console-esque. If the current box continues to flounder, if play anywhere doesn't gain significant traction and if Scorpio doesn't reverse the fortunes, what else can they do but transition away from making dedicated HW?

If all these three things happen, who the heck would think that they'd continue and make even another box?
Well they probably want to try and protect xbox live subs and get royalty money for every game. Moving to Windows 10 only and they lose both revenue streams.

GHG

Those deals look horrible which is probably why nobody takes them up....those 3rd party dealers add in anywhere from 25 to 200% interest to entice people with low incomes to sign up.

if they are priced more like a mobile phone contract youd be in buisiness.

Did you even look at the deal on offer or are you just replying while making a whole host of assumptions? This is from the UAE's leading telecoms provider and it is like a phone contract. They even bill it with your phone/tv/internet subscription.

1. The offer is 69 AED (~18 usd) per month for 24 months. The total amount ends up being 1656 aed which is pretty reasonable and is similar to what buying the console at retail would set you back here. http://www.geekaygames.com/search.p...egory_id=59&page_size=100&sort_by=item_number

2. This deal is actually a partnership with microsoft - http://www.etisalat.ae/en/aboutus/media/press/press-releases/2014/Xbox_one_and_xbox_live.jsp

So if you think that is "pretty horrible" then its pretty what you will end up seeing elsewhere if what you are talking about comes to fruition.

Bgamer90

Banned
They need to put more Xbox exclusives on PC to sell more Xbox consoles and games.

So I was told here not so long ago.

More users playing games (i.e.: Xbox plus PC users) can definitely lead to more people who only care about consoles being interested in those games. So yeah, it can definitely help.

Who here has said that exactly?

The 360 and PS4 having better multiplats during their respective gens helped (though it wasn't the main and/or only reason why both console did well). I'm not sure why this is suddenly being downplayed after the multiple multiplatform discussions here during 2014.

You just said people buy consoles for price and ease of use but yet called PC games going to Xbox a terrible move which doesn't really make sense. More users playing games will help new IPs have a better chance at not being "one and done" and sales have clearly shown that many games that are available on PC are helping sell consoles because of the reason you've stated for why people buy consoles. The system that doesn't have titles that are also available on PC (the Wii U) is struggling the most, showing that people simply want to play good, popular games.

Haha, damn the Microsoft defense force be salty as fuck tonight. Keep hiding behind that thin veil of self-assured sarcasm so no one can tell how rustled your jimmies are.

Here's a little something to soothe your turbulent loins: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...oft-spinning-xbox-one-npd-sales/#131f9e7c129a

Uhh... You're joking right?

The ms doom and gloom threads seem to bring out alot of very insecure people.....enjoy your games and not the consoles .....in 18 months time you could be seeing the big n on top ...ms shooting back up and sony tanking with their neo/vr..... going to be a fun ride these next 2 years.

The xbox isn't selling at a lower price and you think it's going to sell at a higher one? Ok. o_O

madmackem

I don't think us gaffers get how little the rest of the world outside of the U.K. Care about brand Xbox. It's really a non entity outside of the USA and uk and both those markets have seen a strong Sony this gen. They don't seem to either card or learn either with thier offerings being steeped in USA uk styling.

Did you even look at the deal on offer or are you just replying while making a whole host of assumptions? This is from the UAE's leading telecoms provider and it is like a phone contract. They even bill it with your phone/tv/internet subscription.

1. The offer is 69 AED (~18 usd) per month for 24 months. The total amount ends up being 1656 aed which is pretty reasonable and is similar to what buying the console at retail would set you back here. http://www.geekaygames.com/search.p...egory_id=59&page_size=100&sort_by=item_number

2. This deal is actually a partnership with microsoft - http://www.etisalat.ae/en/aboutus/media/press/press-releases/2014/Xbox_one_and_xbox_live.jsp

So if you think that is "pretty horrible" then its pretty what you will end up seeing elsewhere if what you are talking about comes to fruition.

Compared to the us currency its great....however a vast majority of the plans are not affordable to the local market and the Indian market is more mobile focused in terms of growth.

Also indias fixed broadband access is only at 7% so in many cases its right plan...wrong market

NolbertoS

Lolmao gaffers again with the doom and gloom. Microsoft is not exiting the console and games market.

Maybe not now, but after seeing Nintendo dominate the mobile market on one game, The Xbox Division needs to flatter Nadella with a prints money gif. If Scorpio doesn't sell hot cakes like Pokemon Go phenom, than expect MS to sooner leave the hardware race compared to Nintendo in the future. MS need more genres to make it interesting for Scorpio to sell.

GHG

Compared to the us currency its great....however a vast majority of the plans are not affordable to the local market and the Indian market is more mobile focused in terms of growth.

Also indias fixed broadband access is only at 7% so in many cases its right plan...wrong market

What has India got to do with any of this?

The ms doom and gloom threads seem to bring out alot of very insecure people.....enjoy your games and not the consoles .....in 18 months time you could be seeing the big n on top ...ms shooting back up and sony tanking with their neo/vr..... going to be a fun ride these next 2 years.

It's fun right now. I don't see much changing.

Maybe not now, but after seeing Nintendo dominate the mobile market on one game, The Xbox Division needs to flatter Nadella with a prints money gif. If Scorpio doesn't sell hot cakes like Pokemon Go phenom, than expect MS to sooner leave the hardware race compared to Nintendo in the future. MS need more genres to make it interesting for Scorpio to sell.

Microsoft has pretty much abandoned new first party development and the 3rd party colloborations have not really done much. I really think the lack of internal studios is a big part of their problem creating new hit IPs and the last two big studios they have created are solely devoted to maintaining an existing IP.

Bgamer90

Banned
UWP only? No, it won't help.

This doesn't make any sense and you haven't proved why what I said isn't true. You basically simply said "No".

"UWP only" + Xbox console is indeed better than just Xbox console since it means more users being able to play and give money to a game. There are (for example) people who don't own an Xbox One that are looking forward to playing Forza Horizon 3. Not sure how that "doesn't help".

c0de

I don't think us gaffers get how little the rest of the world outside of the U.K. Care about brand Xbox. It's really a non entity outside of the USA and uk and both those markets have seen a strong Sony this gen. They don't seem to either card or learn either with thier offerings being steeped in USA uk styling.

How do you target the German market, for example? I mean, what games does Sony offer to especially target the German market that the xbone doesn't have? Or generally features that the console offers?

Kyougar

How do you target the German market, for example? I mean, what games does Sony offer to especially target the German market that the xbone doesn't have? Or generally features that the console offers?

- NOT being implied to spy on your users.
- Two decades of NOT being a "FUCK YEAH! AMERICA!" Console
- NOT closing or consolifying PC Developers that released PC specific genres that were loved in germany (RTS, Simulations, RPG's)
- NOT having an exclusive lineup that is mostly banned in Germany (Gears of war, Dead Rising)

Matt

This doesn't make any sense and you haven't proved why what I said isn't true. You basically simply said "No".

"UWP only" + Xbox console is indeed better than just Xbox console since it means more users being able to play and give money to a game. There are (for example) people who don't own an Xbox One that are looking forward to playing Forza Horizon 3. Not sure how that "doesn't help".
The problem is that the number of people that actually use the Windows Store is so small that adding it as a platform will probebly cost more than it will ever earn.

The point of Xbox Anywhere is to try to get people to actually use the Windows Store, not to increase individual title sales.

notaskwid

- NOT being implied to spy on your users.
- Two decades of NOT being a "FUCK YEAH! AMERICA!" Console
- NOT closing or consolifying PC Developers that released PC specific genres that were loved in germany (RTS, Simulations, RPG's)
- NOT having an exclusive lineup that is mostly banned in Germany (Gears of war, Dead Rising)
That would help but imo would not 'win' them the market.
The playstation brand is too strong and as long as this consoles continue being 'twins' there is literally zero chance for the xbox brand to be as successful as the playstation brand. They literally have to capture lightning in a bottle a la Wii for it to happen.

That would help but imo would not 'win' them the market.
The playstation brand is too strong and as long as this consoles continue being 'twins' there is literally zero chance for the xbox brand to be as successful as the playstation brand. They literally have to capture lightning in a bottle a la Wii for it to happen.

They're stuck in a cycle.

They don't try, they don't build their brand, they fall behind which prompts them to continue not trying, and so on and so on.

China was a pretty good example this gen. MS's efforts compared to Sony's. Pretty big gap there.

sector4

Being the cheapest 4K Blu Ray player on the market when the S launches (at least here in Australia) should give the XB1 a nice boost in hardware sales.

Top Bottom