• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming sales decline 9%

Being the cheapest 4K Blu Ray player on the market when the S launches (at least here in Australia) should give the XB1 a nice boost in hardware sales.

Right now, you can only get the $399 XBOX One S. The immanent threat is that Sony announces Neo rather soon. Which might as well only cost $399, offers UHD AND adds more power. Furthermore, I think it's quite likely that Sony will also introduce a new entry-level PS4 SKU which also supports UHD playback, just to steal another USP from the cheaper XBOX One S SKUs.

Now, I have no doubt that XBOX One S will have a positive effect on XBOX One sales, but not long-term. I think what we'll see is a nice straw fire which will die out as soon as Sony - and Nintendo - present their new hardware.

And while I think Scorpio will do fine for a high-end SKU, it does not have the global mass market appeal to turn the tides in their favor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They're doing what they need to. The move to unified Windows is smart as it gives the Xbox platform portability - currently that means 'play anywhere' for consumers, but it also gives MS the option to migrate away from dedicated boxes ifnscorpio doesn't gain traction. Or even towards an MSX model where others make the boxes but they're PCs branded Xbox with an Xbox front end

My worry is how relatively reactive MS has been over the last five years. Once this unified Windows approach is fully done, how long will they give it to bear fruit before changing tack again?

Not gonna give the good ol Xbox doom and gloom talk. Though, if things get really really bad...I can see them possibly just ditching the hardware and going all in on PC software (maybe even releasing on steam) as well as publishing games/IP on other platforms and keeping the XBL platform as a gateway to developers/publisher for servers and such.

Crazy Thought? Maybe, but I doubt MS would wanna just give up all their assets/IP's if they can make profitable investments somewhere else if not on Xbox Hardware.

I don't think Xbox consoles are going anywhere though. As long as they keeping making hardware I'll support em assuming they don't do stupid shit.

/shrug.

There's nothing crazy in that thinking- last E3 was Microsoft slowly phasing out xbox as hardware and start of evolution into service.

I only wonder how they are going to solve Xbox live gold on "consoles" which will be more restrictive pcs ala steam machine vs normal pcs.

anothertech

Lolmao gaffers again with the doom and gloom. Microsoft is not exiting the console and games market.
You are literally the only person that said anything like this lol.

MS has deep pockets. They have someone at the helm that cares deeply about gaming. Their in a massive slump sure, who knew they would get beat so bad this Gen, but their forward tone on Scorpio sounds to me like they are going to try and go all in and double down on this gaming thing.

Let's hope to God they don't decide to pull out. Competition breeds greatness and we don't want any of these companies getting too complacent. No matter your hardware if preference.

Being the cheapest 4K Blu Ray player on the market when the S launches (at least here in Australia) should give the XB1 a nice boost in hardware sales.

Physical media is dying and we have some of the shittest internet in the world and will continue to do so thanks to liberal so streaming 4k for most is out of reach.

On the plus size i will be able to fit it in my ikea tv cabinet without having to hacksaw anything.

Right now, you can only get the $399 XBOX One S. The immanent threat is that Sony announces Neo rather soon. Which might as well only cost $399, offers UHD AND adds more power. Furthermore, I think it's quite likely that Sony will also introduce a new entry-level PS4 SKU which also supports UHD playback, just to steal another USP from the cheaper XBOX One S SKUs.

Now, I have no doubt that XBOX One S will have a positive effect on XBOX One sales, but not long-term. I think what we'll see is a nice straw fire which will die out as soon as Sony - and Nintendo - present their new hardware.

And while I think Scorpio will do fine for a high-end SKU, it does not have the global mass market appeal to turn the tides in their favor.

I think that's the reason why 1TB and 500GB One S no release date yet, maybe they're waiting how much of Neo, if it's same as 2TB One S, then they will drop all One S model by $50, if not, then they keep the price range this year at least(other than holiday deals).

They're doing what they need to. The move to unified Windows is smart as it gives the Xbox platform portability - currently that means 'play anywhere' for consumers, but it also gives MS the option to migrate away from dedicated boxes ifnscorpio doesn't gain traction. Or even towards an MSX model where others make the boxes but they're PCs branded Xbox with an Xbox front end

My worry is how relatively reactive MS has been over the last five years. Once this unified Windows approach is fully done, how long will they give it to bear fruit before changing tack again?

People tend to overestimate the impact of thise move. Like if MS now sells hundreds of thousands more games thanks to Windows 10 store. In case of both Quantum Break and Rise of the Tomb Raider, XBOX 10 store sales barely managed to reach 5-digit numbers. The impact of this move is abysmal. And that won't change anytime soon. For the same reason I disagree with those saying that XBOX Anywhere will compensate the revenue and profit losses from the XBOX hardware.

Conduit

Banned
This doesn't make any sense and you haven't proved why what I said isn't true. You basically simply said "No".

"UWP only" + Xbox console is indeed better than just Xbox console since it means more users being able to play and give money to a game. There are (for example) people who don't own an Xbox One that are looking forward to playing Forza Horizon 3. Not sure how that "doesn't help".

It makes sense. It's UWP. Who cares about UWP. That's the point.

anothertech

There's nothing crazy in that thinking- last E3 was Microsoft slowly phasing out xbox as hardware and start of evolution into service.

I only wonder how they are going to solve Xbox live gold on "consoles" which will be more restrictive pcs ala steam machine vs normal pcs.
The fact they announced not one but TWO new Xbox sku's last E3 kinda defeats your point methinks.

Matt

You are literally the only person that said anything like this lol.

MS has deep pockets. They have someone at the helm that cares deeply about gaming. Their in a massive slump sure, who knew they would get beat so bad this Gen, but their forward tone on Scorpio sounds to me like they are going to try and go all in and double down on this gaming thing.

Let's hope to God they don't decide to pull out. Competition breeds greatness and we don't want any of these companies getting too complacent. No matter your hardware if preference.
They are absolutely not going "all in." If they wanted to, MS could be putting a lot of sorely needed recources into Xbox. They still want it to work out, they are willing to keep trying for now. But there was a time when the entire operation had a fair bit more support.

Yoshi88

- NOT being implied to spy on your users.
- Two decades of NOT being a "FUCK YEAH! AMERICA!" Console
- NOT closing or consolifying PC Developers that released PC specific genres that were loved in germany (RTS, Simulations, RPG's)
- NOT having an exclusive lineup that is mostly banned in Germany (Gears of war, Dead Rising)

I'd like to add a diverse (read: eastern) 3rd-party-lineup, that's been missing from Xbox since the early 360 days. Everybody i know here loves some good JRPGs, over-the-top action games, Digimon, Odin Sphere, even some niche strategy titles from NIS etc alongside their FIFA and CoD. Even Nintendo has more of those typical japanese games (#FE, Bayonetta, Project Zero etc.) on offer than MS.

I don't have exact numbers, but always following the charts and sales reports, i have a feeling the german market shares my appreciation of diversification. It's the reason MS lost me as a customer, although i really loved my 360 in the first few years.

I think they could do way more in that regard and rekindle some positive brand recognition, yet nothing ever seems to indicate any change in direction.

anothertech

They are absolutely not going "all in." If they wanted to, MS could be putting a lot of sorely needed recources into Xbox. They still want it to work out, they are willing to keep trying for now. But there was a time when the entire operation had a fair bit more support.
Point taken. I just mean their 'most powerful console' talk and the way they are marketing the thing feels like they are trying to win back some favor as a 'powerful' contender in the gaming space.

I agree, I don't think they are pouring the needed resources Into the Xbox side, especially the software section, and the Scorpio might be too little too late, but at least they aren't trying to rely on the Xbone alone for another 3 years.

Tough break. XB1's are cheaper than ever and hardware is still selling less.

Anyway, if I remember correctly last year had crazier deals and bigger games for the quarter but a 33% hardware revenue drop is kinda eye watering.

I don't think us gaffers get how little the rest of the world outside of the U.K. Care about brand Xbox. It's really a non entity outside of the USA and uk and both those markets have seen a strong Sony this gen. They don't seem to either card or learn either with thier offerings being steeped in USA uk styling.

Yeah, I mean it seems the XB1 is on life support everywhere else around the world.. It's crazy to rely on two markets i.e. US and UK (yes I know they are the biggest revenue earners for video games) in our now globalised world for electronics.

Maybe Scorpio can reverse those fortunes but I think it'll need to be more than just a slogan of "most powerful console ever built".

c0de

- NOT being implied to spy on your users.
Yes, that's a perception problem. Both companies gather data from their users and the negative media around the Kinect was unjustified.

- Two decades of NOT being a "FUCK YEAH! AMERICA!" Console
-v please. Also, two decades? What?
- NOT closing or consolifying PC Developers that released PC specific genres that were loved in germany (RTS, Simulations, RPG's)
So this is about the company and not the console?
- NOT having an exclusive lineup that is mostly banned in Germany (Gears of war, Dead Rising)
There are more exclusives than Gears and Dead Rising...

c0de

That would help but imo would not 'win' them the market.
The playstation brand is too strong and as long as this consoles continue being 'twins' there is literally zero chance for the xbox brand to be as successful as the playstation brand. They literally have to capture lightning in a bottle a la Wii for it to happen.

Yep, that's quite exactly it. People will just buy a Playstation, if Sony not completely fucks a console up. It's the synonym for gaming and I guess this also applies to a lot of other countries, as well. Nothing wrong with it but add to that that MS also almost always had and has a negative image because of Windows.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I feel like anybody who's been paying attention could see that the Xbone's sales would taper off and dry up a long time before the 'end' of this generation. Just the effect of being wildly outsold by PS4, it happened to the OG Xbox and GameCube too. The ratio of PS4 to Xbone sales each month is going to start swinging very heavily in PS4's favour from here on out.

wapplew

OléGunner;210669840 said:
Tough break. XB1's are cheaper than ever and hardware is still selling less.

Anyway, if I remember correctly last year had crazier deals and bigger games for the quarter but a 33% hardware revenue drop is kinda eye watering.

Yeah, I mean it seems the XB1 is on life support everywhere else around the world.. It's crazy to rely on two markets i.e. US and UK (yes I know they are the biggest revenue earners for video games) in our now globalised world for electronics.

Maybe Scorpio can reverse those fortunes but I think it'll need to be more than just a slogan of "most powerful console ever built".

They kept it 9% overall drop event with 33% hardware revenue drop. That's mean software/subscription almost able to cover the hardware loses.
That's inline with their goal to move Xbox into a service. So their plan is working?

The fact they announced not one but TWO new Xbox sku's last E3 kinda defeats your point methinks.

Not really. We don't know what Scorpio is supposed to be. I have a pet theory that it's going to be a PC/console hybrid and that MS is going into the computer appliance market. If that happened then the Scorpio could very well be MS moving away from traditional consoles. Instead they'd want hardware that is capable of playing a much larger section of apps out of the Windows Store than just games. That's mean using more powerful CPUs than would be needed if all they wanted was a device to play console games. That'd cost more, but instead of marketing it as an expensive console, it could be positioned as a cheap(ish) PC.

Matt

They kept it 9% overall drop event with 33% hardware revenue drop. That's mean software/subscription almost able to cover the hardware loses.
That's inline with their goal to move Xbox into a service. So their plan is working?
No, because their overall revenue SHOULD be up, because XBO has a larger install base than this time last year.

No, this is an unsustainable plan.

They're dropping the price of the Xbox to try and maintain some kind of growth for their services. There's going to be lapsed gamers the longer the generation goes on, the problem MS has is they have to keep cutting the price of hardware heavily to replace them as new gamers won't pay the current price.

I will say this, Hoildays will be interesting for Xbox, at least in the UK. With the pinch of Brexit fully hitting by then, alot of people are going to be put off spending. This is advantageous to Microsoft, who will eat the losses that come with the falling pound, as they have traditionally in Canada. If they keep pushing out deals at mass market prices, with the Xbox S I see a recovery of the top spot from Sony, who are almost certain to price the Neo based on the current value of the pound.

madmackem

How do you target the German market, for example? I mean, what games does Sony offer to especially target the German market that the xbone doesn't have? Or generally features that the console offers?
I have no idea, I'm from the uk and ms caters for my tastes pretty well tbh, but it's pretty obvious they struggle outside of uk which is largely a mini USA in regards to consumer tastes. They've given up on Japan largely it seems and Asia, and struggle with mainland Europe, smarter people than me should be advising ms on those issue but maybe they simply don't care anymore?.

madmackem

I will say this, Hoildays will be interesting for Xbox, at least in the UK. With the pinch of Brexit fully hitting by then, alot of people are going to be put off spending. If Microsoft eats the losses that come with the falling pound, as they have traditionally in Canada at least, and keep pushing out deals at mass market prices, with the Xbox S I see a recovery of the top spot from Sony, who are almost certain to price the Neo based on the current value of the pound.
There's zero chance of them over taking Sony in one season man, it doesn't seem to have done anything when the Xbox one has been cheaper than the ps4 for sometime now, the Xbox has been sub £200 with games over the past few months.

wapplew

No, because their overall revenue SHOULD be up, because XBO has a larger install base than this time last year.

Oh, right, never thought of that.
"MS use price cut, it's not very effective" summarize 33% hardware revenue drop.

c0de

I have no idea, I'm from the uk and ms caters for my tastes pretty well tbh, but it's pretty obvious they struggle outside of uk which is largely a mini USA in regards to consumer tastes. They've given up on Japan largely it seems and Asia, and struggle with mainland Europe, smarter people than me should be advising ms on those issue but maybe they simply don't care anymore?.

I don't think that they don't care but the Playstation brand is just too big in Germany. I mean, both consoles mostly offer the same games and arguebly the same "experience" - at least to a point that the market difference does not relate to the difference in the consoles. MS has generally a bad image in Germany since the 90s which also "adds" to the difference, of course.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly I wonder if Scorpio will even release, with numbers like this I bet Nadella is looking at Xbone division's intention to release a new, expensive, top-end piece of hardware with some trepidation now.

Kyougar

Yes, that's a perception problem. Both companies gather data from their users and the negative media around the Kinect was unjustified.
PRISM was in every media outlet while Xbox one was revealed. Unjustified?

-v please. Also, two decades? What?
Playstation is present in germany for two decades

So this is about the company and not the console?
What kind of question is that? What Microsoft closed all those PC Devs and not XBOX? What?

There are more exclusives than Gears and Dead Rising...
Yes, all those first person shooters

Germany loved all those PC Games that Microsoft developed and published in the late 90's and early 2000's
- Age of empires | RTS
- Flight Simulator | Sim
- Mechwarrior | Sim
- Mech Commander | RTT
- Dungeon Siege | RPG
- Freelancer | Spacesim
- Starlancer | Spacesim
- Rise of Nations | RTS

Is it though? The price drop was made to push volume but that hasn't happened to an extent for the quarter (worked a treat holiday 2014 though).

Sure they want money from software and services too but there's no way that MS want to sell less XB1's and make less overall revenue like they are now.

Edit: Matt and travisbickle say it better than me:

No, this is an unsustainable plan.

They're dropping the price of the Xbox to try and maintain some kind of growth for their services. There's going to be lapsed gamers the longer the generation goes on, the problem MS has is they have to keep cutting the price of hardware heavily to replace them as new gamers won't pay the current price.

Shin-chan

The thing is they never really put any effort in those regions, outside of a handful of money hats at the start of last gen for Japan. Sony has been putting in work into pretty much every region in the world to try and grow them as stronger markets for games (localised marketing arms, localisation of third party games to traditional Chinese in Asia etc.). In comparison Microsoft hadn't lifted a finger. There's a very good reason why Playstation is such a big global brand and essentially synonymous with video games in most markets around the world. And there's a very good reason why Microsoft is not. You get out what you're willing to put in.

I think again, the people behind strategy at Playstation have out-thought those at Microsoft with respect to the new consoles.

Having a year head-start with a cheaper product with a compelling exclusive line-up is going to ensure the Scorpio is a failure. It will fail also because, for some reason, it's being pitched to high-end gamers who already have high-end PCs. The Scorpio can never win in this scenario. So it's beaten in the console space and its beaten at the other end too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah, at this point in a system's life revenue should be going up, not down.
That's the exception rather than the rule, no? Before last generation there was generally always one console that was a runaway success and one or more that were also-rans whose sales dried up after a few years as they limped to 30 million LTD.

I thought Microsoft's intention behind entering the console race was to prevent Sony from dominating the living room. Have they shifted that focus, or do they believe PCs will grow their presence in that area?

Are you a developer or an exec at Microsoft?

Sjefen

Less console sold = less software sold/gold live subscriptions. I understand why MS decided to open up for releasing their exclusives on PC, but PC software sales can cannibalise the console sales. So all in all it will be very interesting to see what MS will do the next year.

Genio88

A 9% decline isn't a big deal, you're acting like if Microsoft was doomed...also these companies make most of their money from subscriptions and games royalties, and looks like they're doing great there, they often have just a little margin of income for every console sold, what really means to them is that Xbox Live is doing well, and that's why they want to push it on PC too and they don't mind selling less console

wapplew

I thought Microsoft's intention behind entering the console race was to prevent Sony from dominating the living room. Have they shifted that focus, or do they believe PCs will grow their presence in that area?

Don't know about what back to PC will do for them, but while they busy entering console race, Valve take their digital store cake, Apple & Google take the mobile cake and they left with 20m install base, some live subscribers and some MAU.
I hope that's worth their time and money.

Fishook

I just think its nothing to with Scorpio, I just this the way younger people are consuming more mobile and tablet games, as well as using they devices to stream stuff thus not needing tv's in bedrooms.

Games shops are in decline, as well as the in-flux of f2p games, its a different market to what it was 5 to 10 years ago.

MilkyJoe

Putting all your exclusives on the PC isn't going to help your console either.

I wouldn't say it would hurt it either. People seem to have the weird notion that if a game is suddenly on PC, people are going to stop console gaming and go spend 3 x as much on a PC instead. If anything you release it on both Xbox and Windows 10 - both MS platforms - more people will buy it and more money goes back into bringing people more games.

Bastables

A 9% decline isn't a big deal, you're acting like if Microsoft was doomed...also these companies make most of their money from subscriptions and games royalties, and looks like they're doing great there, they often have just a little margin of income for every console sold, what really means to them is that Xbox Live is doing well, and that's why they want to push it on PC too and they don't mind selling less console

Do you actually think the 9% net decline of the gaming division revenues does not include revenues the gaming division has generated?

Matt

No, you don't understand. Revenue for the whole Xbox division is down 9%. Revenue from the sale of XBO systems is down 33%.

Guymelef

Why people continue with this argument?
More consoles, more software, it's simple.
I guess they don't ming releasing Halo on PS4 then, right?

Kayant

Are you a developer or an exec at Microsoft?
Does that matter? It's not like that stops him from hearing things.

Right on time for your scheduled spin.

wapplew

Why people continue with this argument?
More consoles, more software, it's simple.
I guess they don't ming releasing Halo on PS4 then, right?

Windows 10 install base is way bigger than all current console combine, which means more software sales, at least that's their plan.

Tablets and smartphones are the new "living room" so that is kind of irrelevant at this point. Although that is make it seem a bit strange how quickly they gave up on Windows Phone.

Windows 10 install base is way bigger than all current console combine, which means more software sales, at least that's their plan.

But what is number of Windows 10 products that can function as at least console level gaming machines? My laptop certainly can't. And they have extremely stiff competition in that arena with Steam. On Xbox they are getting revenue from all 3rd party games being sold. That is not happening on PC any time soon if ever.

Top Bottom