• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: New Hololens impressions "demo videos are all basically a lie"

Justified

I wonder if they could implement some type of cache or some type interpolation in the area outside of the "box" to complete the immersion or what is suppose to be there

blakep267

The FOV window example from Verge's video:
BgCkh9W.jpg

vWzZHAU.jpg
Isn't that kind of obvious though. The lense doesn't encompass the entire head set. Where as the camera would have the entire thing fitted with it

Hexa

Is there any particular reason they can't expand the field of view? Like if everything else is working great and the only issue is that there's a limited FoV, that doesn't seem like an especially large issue to solve.

Wreav

Banned
Lots of people at BUILD have mentioned the limited FOV, this video isn't breaking any new ground today.

Even Adi says, "it's like the best projector in the world".

The FOV will be improved over time, just like the Rift. You people...

Krejlooc

Banned
Microsoft needs to be very upfront with the obvious FOX shortcoming with their pitches. Explain what isn't optimal right now, and explain clearly how it will improve through iteration (which is obvious, but still worth explaining). Be as open as they possibly can about how this is an infant technology and how in several years it'll be leaps and bounds better.

Do this or else the ignorant public will regard all of AR as snakeoil. Microsoft is dangerously close to poisoning the well here. AR is too important for the public to become distrustful this early in it's lifetime.

Patapwn

It would be nice if MS was straight for once about their new shiny tech. There demo in light of this is just straight up misrepresentation

Krejlooc

Banned
Lots of people at BUILD have mentioned the limited FOV, this video isn't breaking any new ground today.

The Rift's FOV has shrank over time.

They can actually increase the FOV now, currently, but it'll make the cost prohibitive.

The big problem, at the moment, is the room visualization they are doing, which won't be that great in moment to moment situations outside of these demoes. That stuff is rapidly improving, but it's not there yet.

Something like Lighthouse could actually help leaps and bounds, actually. The goal and dream is something like visual slam or project tango embedded into the headset entirely, that work flawlessly. We aren't there yet.

Kyoufu

The demonstration was basically a concept demo of what it could look like eventually. Right now it's in its infancy so I don't expect it to blow my mind yet. Baby steps and all that.

jem0208

I agree, people are jumping on this far too quickly.

It's still a way off and the massive amount of positive press it's been getting has me hopeful. Stuff like the FoV can be improved.

DorkyMohr

Banned
The "screen" field of view was a big turn off when I tried Google Glass. Seems like both products have the outside-facing-in design of representing the visible field with a piece of glass. But when you put it on having the screen float inside that and not engulf the whole thing is pretty disappointing. Hololens has the wraparound sunglasses look but seemingly there's no functional reason for it, maybe it prevents light glare from outside but that's about it.

Like what Krej is saying, MS needs to set expectations for the ignorant public.

This isn't like the MS 'Office Future Vision' videos that they put out. For all intents and purposes, when people look up Hololens, people are seeing news articles about a real prototype existing, and when people look up videos of Hololens to see what it's about, the first videos will be all the faked ones with full FOV instead of the actual limited FOV.

Krejlooc

Banned
I know this thread is about how this is supposed to be a disappointment, but I haven't been paying any attention to the Hololens at all and this looks really amazing. I know, I know, the whole point of the video is about how the demo videos I'm gushing over are lies, but all that tells me is that Gen 1 will suck. That's normal. If I'm using technology like this in the next decade, or hell, 20 years, I'm going to be very happy. This looks like science fiction and unless something bad happens I'll be alive for it.

This is where we will ultimately end up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFiE82Npbn4

This stuff will change the world.

nynt9

Microsoft needs to be very upfront with the obvious FOX shortcoming with their pitches. Explain what isn't optimal right now, and explain clearly how it will improve through iteration (which is obvious, but still worth explaining). Be as open as they possibly can about how this is an infant technology and how in several years it'll be leaps and bounds better.

Do this or else the ignorant public will regard all of AR as snakeoil. Microsoft is dangerously close to poisoning the well here. AR is too important for the public to become distrustful this early in it's lifetime.

People might jump on you for saying this, but I agree. Microsoft's strategy generally seems to be "release raw version of thing early, get negative impressions, then keep throwing money at iteration number 2/3 to make them successful and try to overcome negative public opinion". Surface took 3 iterations, Kinect is in its second iteration and still isn't universally loved, Windows Phone is still in its infancy etc. Generally the first iteration of a MS product isn't "good enough", and if they just waited to release a truly solid product at first they would have to fight off a lot less negative opinions for the second iteration.

Krejlooc

Banned
People might jump on you for saying this, but I agree. Microsoft's strategy generally seems to be "release raw version of thing early, get negative impressions, then keep throwing money at iteration number 2/3 to make them successful and try to overcome negative public opinion". Surface took 3 iterations, Kinect is in its second iteration and still isn't universally loved, Windows Phone is still in its infancy etc. Generally the first iteration of a MS product isn't "good enough", and if they just waited to release a truly solid product at first they would have to fight off a lot less negative opinions for the second iteration.

What they have right now is worth getting excited about. They don't need to hype it up beyond what it already is. I think promising the world with hololens will lead to unrealistic expectations which will disappoint people. For what it is, right now, it's pretty remarkable. It's only in the context of what it can be in the future that people think it isn't all that exciting.

Case in point, people have brought up kinect as a "lie" several times in this topic. Which is sad, because a consumer-grade 3D scan camera is an awesome technological achievement. And people hate it because microsoft promised it was a magical computer interface, instead of recognizing what it could (and should) be used for currently - triangulated 3D mesh scans.

I don't think AR will be what they are saying it will be for another decade and a half, personally. The main problem is how to virtualize the area around you instantly. That's a problem nobody has solved yet. We can come close, but not instantly, and not perfectly.

Nzyme32

Exactly as I said before, you can not believe these video demonstrations or impressions taken from extremes of controlled conditions. Only public demonstrations that people can actually try for themselves as well as in settings separate of the strictest control environments, will be the only way to get realistic impressions.

It is still early days for them but this isn't sounding good at all for what is due relatively soon.

People might jump on you for saying this, but I agree. Microsoft's strategy generally seems to be "release raw version of thing early, get negative impressions, then keep throwing money at iteration number 2/3 to make them successful and try to overcome negative public opinion".

And there's the part where they give up on the market for years before another company picks the concept back up again and makes a success out of it.

PSGames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfC8RoQcez0

WATCH VIDEO BEFORE COMMENTING

See the video for explanation of the field of view issue.

Can recognize simple gestures and voice commands.

Hologram field of view is very limited, it's only in a small box, not immersive. Nothing like the demos. Only works when looking straight at the hologram. "It's not augmenting reality, augmenting a little fraction of reality. Which is still amazing, but Microsoft is promising science fiction"

This impression stands out to me fro the rest of the hololens impressions which are overwhelmingly positive so I thought this deserved its own thread.

box me in a tiny FOV if old.

I experienced the same surprise trying Gear VR for the first time. Was shocked at how small the field of view was compared to what I was expecting. Guess that's just a hard limit of the technology unfortunately.

Krejlooc

Banned
I get the enthusiasm, but having tried the current devices, I'm not convinced we are there yet.

Have you tried Vive or Crescent Bay? Also, technological determinism is silly, "the medium is the message" is bullshit. You can't judge technology without content. What specifically did you try?

That's a bummer. Over all impressions though from people that have used it has been very positive though, even though they state the narrow FOV.

Still excited to give it a go.

derfybzh

It's not even out , and people say it is a piece of shiit. Well color me suprised ...

At least they are trying something new and don't follow the straight VR path

That sucks.... That said, if it's only the FOV that's borked... that's actually not TOO bad. It's disappointing to be sure, but I'd expect them to figure that out relatively soon actually.

Journey

Banned

poster2015.jpg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Have you tried Vive or Crescent Bay? Also, technological determinism is silly, "the medium is the message" is bullshit. You can't judge technology without content. What specifically did you try?

I've tried Oculus and Morpheus. I am excited as anyone about the potential, and Im not saying there won't be any worthwhile experience in the next few years, but it is still very much fledgling technology.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly there would be no fuss if they did not have the tech demo (which was obviously partially faked). Just show off what it can do and speak about what improvements it needs and that its being worked on. Its not that hard.

yup. I think they touched on this when they first showed it, and when we saw backstage that the hands-on units were tethered to the ceiling, and the demos on the stage were either mockups or one-offs. All that is fine, we get that things need work. Likewise the camera - just say that it will look different through your own eyes etc.

Krejlooc

Banned
So it works, FOV is just ass though? Hope it's fixed before launch out I'll just wait until v2

That sucks.... That said, if it's only the FOV that's borked... that's actually not TOO bad. It's disappointing to be sure, but I'd expect them to figure that out relatively soon actually.

The big problem, at the moment, is the room visualization they are doing, which won't be that great in moment to moment situations outside of these demoes. That stuff is rapidly improving, but it's not there yet.

Something like Lighthouse could actually help leaps and bounds, actually. The goal and dream is something like visual slam or project tango embedded into the headset entirely, that work flawlessly. We aren't there yet.

BadWolf

Case in point, people have brought up kinect as a "lie" several times in this topic. Which is sad, because a consumer-grade 3D scan camera is an awesome technological achievement. And people hate it because microsoft promised it was a magical computer interface, instead of recognizing what it could (and should) be used for currently - triangulated 3D mesh scans.

You do realize they marketed and sold it as a peripheral to a gaming console right? Gamers call it a lie because that is exactly what it was.

Nzyme32

I've tried Oculus and Morpheus. I am excited as anyone about the potential, and Im not saying there won't be any worthwhile experience in the next few years, but it is still very much fledgling technology.

He meant, what did you try - game / demo-wise

Malio

Microsoft isn't known for innovating, they're known for imitating. They'll either improve upon something that already exists (in part or in whole), or buy the person/company that actually innovated it. This shouldn't shock anyone.

Microsoft is trying so hard to disappoint me, too bad for them I don't have any belief in them anymore apart from the Windows OS department.

Kayant

That is some good journalism don't expect that from the verge. Basically it can work well but atm demos are basically BS in terms of presentation and FOV makes it limited.

It's not even out , and people say it is a piece of shiit. Well color me suprised ...

At least they are trying something new and don't follow the straight VR path

How so??

Ape

Banned
Did she just treat that like a review unit? :lol

This could be a 16-24 months away from a commercial release and we get this video. It almost seems personal to her.

It blows me away how someone writing for a tech blog doesn't understand how iterative technology is. She's surely been around tech long enough to see something like the Oculus go through hardware revisions, right? Maybe not though.

Bizarre.

Percy

Banned
Same thing happened with Kinect, and we were all eating crow by the time that released.

No we weren't.

Krejlooc

Banned

That doesn't answer my question. "Oculus" is a company, they have had 6 different iterated products. And Morpheus is hardly the pinnacle of VR tech.

And that doesn't address my comment about content. I am assuming you have only tried VR at tradeshows?

Just like they lied with Kinect, I don't think anyone that knew MS and/or VR/AR would've believed anything else.

Someone should post those Kinect gigs from E3 conferences :p

Top Bottom