• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: New Hololens impressions "demo videos are all basically a lie"

massoluk

Banned
I was never convinced by the Project Natal demo (You're talking about super accurate voice and gesture recognition there), but I fell for this one (Basic gesture interface onto head mounted display seemed more believable)

Fool me once. But to be fair, this doesn't feel like something they can't fix before actual release.

Krejlooc

Banned
You do realize they marketed and sold it as a peripheral to a gaming console right? Gamers call it a lie because that is exactly what it was.

Of course I realize that. My comment is directly addressing that. They should have never marketed like that, they should have marketed it as what it was.

paulogy

I've been very impressed so far with how well they have thought-out and choreographed these live demonstrations to avoid any image occlusion (situations where the subject or subject's limbs would appear in front of the image). As the projection is just an overlay it will always appear as the topmost layer unless they mask off portions of the image to compensate (while this is certainly feasible, I have yet to see HoloLens demonstrate this)

If you notice in this latest demo, they always have the subject stand to the side of the projection, or behind it, or sit just below it, or walk to a new place on the stage while off camera, but never in front. They even went so far as to have the subject exit behind an oddly placed cabinet on stage, to avoid walking in front of the projection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AADEqLIALk

Alienous

It doesn't make sense to me anyway, as a concept.

How could things be shared among multiple users without unique markers on everything? Is there some technlogy that marks everything, connects via some internet network, and tells everyone what should be viewed at a specific location, from all angles?

What? How?

There are only two ways I can make sense of it.

- Everyone object is understood by the device in terms of its absolute uniqueness. It can distinguish tables and desks of the same make and categorize it internally as "This is the desk where which a globe is on for Dave, and therefore you see the globe there too". What?

- Its positional tracking is astounding. It can tell exactly where your HoloLens is in relation to the HoloLens' of all other people in the room, and transmit data regarding positions of panels and movies being watched on said panels, and where those would appear relative to you, instantly.

TL;DR: I don't trust this demon magic.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So I guess this was complete horseshit?

EdGHxi6.gif

Because that wouldn't fit in the box unless you were 50 feet away.

lol I knew something about this was fishy, but everyone in the OT thread were going ham for no damn reason. MS gonna MS.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've been very impressed so far with how well they have thought-out and choreographed these live demonstrations to avoid any image occlusion (situations where the subject or subject's limbs would appear in front of the image). As the projection is just an overlay it will always appear as the topmost layer unless they mask off portions of the image to compensate (while this is certainly feasible, I have yet to see HoloLens demonstrate this)

If you notice in this latest demo, they always have the subject stand to the side of the projection, or behind it, or sit just below it, or walk to a new place on the stage while off camera, but never in front. They even went so far as to have the subject exit behind an oddly placed cabinet on stage, to avoid walking in front of the projection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AADEqLIALk

They demo they showed where they placed the floating screen on the wall also hid another drawback - the inability for hololens to create occluded pixels. Everything it creates is transparent. They placed the video window on a wall, because floating in space, it would look like stained glass.

Bluenoser

Of course I realize that. My comment is directly addressing that. They should have never marketed like that, they should have marketed it as what it was.

But you said that you are saddened that people said MS lied about Kinect. You are admitting they lied about Kinect.... so, you are making yourself sad? I'm confused.

Someone already stated in the Hololens thread in the OT that the FOV is essentially the size of a credit card held two inches from your face, so this info was already out there

Krejlooc

Banned
But you said that you are saddened that people said MS lied about Kinect. You are admitting they lied about Kinect.... so, you are making yourself sad? I'm confused.

I'm sad that people see kinect as snake oil, a worthless product that flat out doesn't work. It DOES work, just not the way they are using it.

It's like trying to eat peas with a knife, and then declaring the knife a worthless tool. It has utility, but it is misused. And now people will shit on it forever, which honestly jeopardizes it's utility in the fields where it is relevant.

It's called "poisoning the well." Microsoft poisoned the well on 3D scan cameras. They shouldn't be used as input, they should be used for what they are - a means of scanning an object as a 3D mesh.

Nafai1123

Banned
It would be great if MS would just come right out and say what the FOV actually is, but transparency isn't really their style I guess.

chadskin

I'm honestly surprised people believed Kinect would be like that.

Well, I didn't believe the beams coming out off Kinect to scan the skateboard. :p
But I did expect it would recognize hand/finger gestures relatively accurate, be better at voice recognition than most products were at the time and be lag-free. None of which turned out to be true in the end, sadly.

Microsoft isn't known for innovating, they're known for imitating. They'll either improve upon something that already exists (in part or in whole), or buy the person/company that actually innovated it. This shouldn't shock anyone.

Nah, MS is more known for betting on their own thing on the other end of the spectrum of what others are doing and having it flop before eventually joining in on the trend after the ship has already sailed and missing out.

jem0208

It would be great if MS would just come right out and say what the FOV actually is, but transparency isn't really their style I guess.

They won't because the product is very clearly still work in progress.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FoV is improved a lot by the time HoloLens is available to buy.

SPDIF

So I guess people are just reading the slightly blown out of proportion thread title and jumping to the conclusion that the HoloLens doesn't work at all? Because that's the only reason I can think of as to why people are making the stupid comparisons to Kinect.

wapplew

What do you expect? Technology have to start somewhere.
First Kinect was the stepping stone of Hololens tracking tech, it's not a failure, it's a starting point.
I hope scientist do not stop pushing AR/VR even if they fail in the first few attempts.

jaypah

Well...yeah. The original impressions from a few months ago criticized the bad FOV. The same day as the new demonstration almost every impression I read mentioned the bad FOV. The stage demo was shown from an angle outside of the visor, probably because a first person demo would be awkward while still not showing the audience what the human eye would see. I'm not saying this isn't thread worthy, just that this isn't a new revelation. The Hololense thread and the Build thread had FOV impressions in them.

I've been very impressed so far with how well they have thought-out and choreographed these live demonstrations to avoid any image occlusion (situations where the subject or subject's limbs would appear in front of the image).

Indeed. Helps that the camera guy has a tablet strapped to his rig so he can see exactly what's being shown. Love how close his head gets to the planet!

It's amusing to note when GAF decides they can trust The Verge or not.

It's important to note a distinction here: the field of view/level of immersion from the demo is the "lie". The functionality is all there, according to impressions.

Lots of people at BUILD have mentioned the limited FOV, this video isn't breaking any new ground today.

Even Adi says, "it's like the best projector in the world".

The FOV will be improved over time, just like the Rift. You people...

This, basically. Almost every impression has mentioned how limiting the FOV is right now. Still, if it's as limiting as the video says, that will be disappointing. The demo camera that was recording the presentation must have a much wider FOV than the actual glasses.

Here are two sets of impressions from /build, FWIW:

Yahoo:

As for the using the device: First off, it was awesome. Second off, it was awesome.

Air-tapping to select and open holograms in the air felt surprisingly natural, as did talking into the microphone. Using it in conjunction with a standard mouse/PC setup felt very natural, and it was extremely rewarding to see what we did on the computer reflected in the “real” world.

Leaving a holographic voice notes, which appeared like floating stickies in the air, was natural.

The field of view was the biggest disappointment.

The actual holograms are projected into a little box that hovers in front of your face, perhaps for computational reasons, because filling your entire line of sight with realistic, high-resolution holograms is just too much to ask of the little thing.

The upside is that you won’t walk into walls if the real world is always and forever on the edge of your vision.

The interface is obviously nowhere near finished.

A technician in the corner of the room performed all but the most basic HoloLens tasks on my behalf: What was supposed to be a big moment where a building changed from being made of brick to being made of glass in front of my eyes was undercut by the fact that I wasn’t the one who made the change happen.

Where Google positioned Google Glass as an always-on, always-with-you Ultra Life Companion that was designed to be in your face and all your friends’ faces forever, HoloLens is very clearly aimed at Getting Things Done and Serious Business.

You put it on to do a thing, and you take it off when that thing is done.

Tom's Hardware

The field of vision is quite limited. I'd heard this was the case, but I assumed that the peripheral vision was occluded by the device itself. That's not the case; unlike a wraparound VR environment that's designed to be immersive, the HoloLens display is a smallish rectangle -- sort of like a TV screen sitting within your field of view.

It reminded me a bit of the Google Glass display -- a rectangle in space. The HoloLens display did not have perfect color. My demo unit had a slight rainbow effect on the right side, actually. I asked others if their displays had the same issue, and the feedback I got indicated that mine may have been a little worse than others.

As I noted above, the HoloLens did not feel quite like a consumer-ready product. However, the demos did show many of the potential uses for the headset, and although the limited display size was a notable limitation, the device did a marvelous job of providing a snappy, lag-free, intuitive user experience. There was virtually no learning curve.

I can see the HoloLens being a valuable tool for industrial uses, teaching and training of various kinds, and even fun home uses such as Skype calls, watching TV, and more. Microsoft needs developers to buy in, of course, but from what I saw, there's no reason why they shouldn't. If writing Universal Apps that translate with ease to HoloLens is as simple as Microsoft made it seem this week, devs should be lining up.

CNet (who had probably the most negative impressions last January):

Let's address the biggest hurdle HoloLens adoption will face: the field of view is rather small. Virtual reality experiences like the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift absolutely encapsulate you, with high-resolution displays that fill your field of view.

The projected images you'll see with HoloLens, by contrast, take up a decidedly smaller space: the optical project lenses that create the illusory objects we'll interact with are about an inch tall, creating a holographic field that feels like looking at a 20-inch screen from a few feet away. You will see objects in your periphery, and I definitely get the feeling of tunnel vision. But we're also aiming for an entirely different sort of experience than virtual reality.

But this expedited coder's boot camp gave me a sneak peek at what exactly is possible with Microsoft's HoloLens, and I remain cautiously optimistic. The limited field of view is going to be a deal-breaker for many, but this device remains something you'll need to see to believe: here's hoping Microsoft gets a little more open in the coming months.

Basically, the impression indicate that the FOV is limited and it's not as immersive as MS bills it, but functionally, the demo is accurate in terms of what you can actually do.

nib95

Banned
If they aren't letting people take videos of others using and testing it, you know somethings up. But Microsoft is pretty famed for this kind of thing at this point. Milo, Kinect etc. Here's hoping the final unit improves on these things, because I'm certainly interested in the concept, I just don't trust Microsoft's promotion of it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well, I didn't believe the beams coming out off Kinect to scan the skateboard. :p

Actually, that is the closest approximation to how Kinect actually works. There ARE beams coming out scanning the object. What happens with kinect is that a laser passes through a prism that scatters it around the room. This is a time of flight camera that measues the time it takes for the light to reflect back to an IR sensor. By calculating the time it takes to return, it can create a depth map from a single perspective of the object it is scanning. By triangulating kinects, you can capture an object in every angle as a full 3D mesh.

That part of kinect actually works. It's their crappy software that takes that and tries to figure out skeletal data from it that is wonky and slow.

3D mesh scanning is near instant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Verge video makes a good point - if you have an object entirely sitting within the field of view of the hololens it looks fantastic. But as soon as it clips outside of the limited FoV, you instantly are aware that it is a screen and the illusion breaks.

And that goes entirely against the 'concept' videos they are showing which have the AR images across the entire field of view. If they can increase the FoV I'm sure it'll increase the stability of the 'presence' for objects.

Heigic

They do the demos using a 4k camera. While Hololens is not capable of the same resolutions and fov Windows Holographic is a platform and there will be other devices that are capable of those resolutions. It will just be much bigger and cost a lot more than HoloLens.

Nafai1123

Banned
They won't because the product is very clearly still work in progress.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FoV is improved a lot by the time HoloLens is available to buy.

Morpheus/Oculus are works in progress as well. Hasn't stopped them from stating the FOV of each iteration.

RexNovis

Banned
I so called this after wathing the announcement

Watching the sales pitch for this in the stream is just painful. So many meaningless buzzwords and conceptual nonsense with literally zero technical explanation. Apparently this shut runs on magic because it's "beyond GPUs and CPUs in order to render Holograms." The call it the "HPU." Riiiight. I wish everyone could see how hard I am rolling my eyes right now. Oh Microsoft. I'll believe it when I see it but I'm not holding my breath.

Nah I just remember the original Kinect pitch so excuse me if I don't take a Microsoft sales pitch completely devoid of any actual technical insight into what is basically magical technology as being real. A healthy dose of realist skepticism is par for the course when it comes to Microsoft presentations be it fir technology or software. They don't really have the best of track records when it comes to delivering on their initial promises/concepts.

It's so far beyond anything anybody else has even come close to it is, quite frankly, to good to be true. Wired has a tendency to hype up any and all new tech. They haven't proven to be the most objective of sources when it comes to evaluating the promise or applications of new technology. The hyperbolic wankfest they published over google glass pretty much prices that singlehandedly.

Exactly this. Shit just doesn't add up and they are talking to me like some kind of idiot expecting me to buy their line without question. That's not how you pitch a product of you actually have the tech to back it up. I'm just not buying it.

And I was dogpiled on because Wired said it was amazing and exactly as shown in the example footage. Learn from this people! Wired is a hyperbolic hype machine disguised as a tech magazine and MS always over promises when it comes to new gimmicky tech.

First off: this is nothing like Milo. Milo was just straight up fabricated.

This is overselling. Which isn't great, but it's a dramatically different proposition. The device does everything they're saying it does, just in an overly narrow field of view.

paulogy

Indeed. Helps that the camera guy has a tablet strapped to his rig so he can see exactly what's being shown. Love how close his head gets to the planet!

Yes! Watching the latest demo specifically looking for this ends up be an exhilarating experience. There many moments where the subject *almost* appears in front of the projection, but the camera cuts away at the last second. The closest call is when the cameraman does the "room scan" effect, and the tide is about to wash onto the subject but they cut away. It's masterful, really.

Top Bottom