• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details multiple devkits evolution of Orbis

The CTO did mention additional DSP and programmable logic,we need the official announcement now.

That programmable logic souns like FPGA. Would be science fiction: Naughty Dog would program its own chip for lighting, Santa Monica would build its own chip for skinning, Guerrilla its own AI chip...

Spinluck

Oh you guys... you're getting my hopes up over BC.

I've already told myself it's not going to be included so I'm not disappointed.

I really hope it is though.

As long as we can get PSN titles I'm good.

Do we have reason to believe we won't even get that? It's a must imo.

EDIT: Damn, I just remembered something? What happens to our full PS3 titles purchased on PSN?

Is there any estimation of the wattage a PE would have in 28nm?. I think i read somewhere something like 20 watts for entire cell... right?.

Another thing to consider: clocks would be all multiples for the sake of syncing data:
1600 mhz for main cpu
3200 mhz for PEs
800 mhz for gpu

20w for 45nm cell. At 28, it would be significantly less.

new leak is up, the special sauce is a second gpu with 2.2 TF. durango is a beast.

haha you wish ;p

The term "special sauce" was originally used by Digital Foundry for their Orbis leak. They said the "special sauce" (uuuuugh) is the "compute module" and some other things.

THE:MILKMAN

Im hoping for Orbis diagram with blocks that are not properly sized and at least two missing connection arrows. :)

Is this a reference to the Durango diagram? The one that Lherre and Thuway said they've seen before?

I think it may have been based on an older Microsoft official slide. I find it all a bit fishy, but then I find nearly everything to do with leaks fishy lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We know so much about Durango that we can easily piece things together. I would love me some Orbis news, with numbers instead of "what may have been happening".

don't we only have the same info as orbis? Basic high level specs.

We need sauce, BC and controller info on both machines still.

i-Lo

orbisrij85.jpg

LIVERPOOL SOC

Custom implementation of AMD Fusion APU Arquitecture (Accelerated Processing Unit)
Provides good performance with low power consumtion
Integrated CPU and GPU
Considerably bigger and more powerful than AMD’s other APUs

CPU:

Orbis contains eight Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz, arranged as two “clusters”
Each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache
256-bit SIMD operations, 128-bit SIMD ALU
SSE up to SSE4, as well as Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
One hardware thread per core
Decodes, executes and retires at up to two intructions/cycle
Out of order execution
Per-core dedicated L1-I and L1-D cache (32Kb each)
Two pipes per core yield 12,8 GFlops performance
102.4 GFlops for system

GPU:

GPU is based on AMD’s “R10XX” (Southern Islands) architecture
DirectX 11.1+ feature set
Liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture
18 Compute Units (CUs)
Hardware balanced at 14 CUs
Shared 512 KB of read/write L2 cache
800 Mhz
1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
Dual shader engines
18 texture units
8 Render backends

Memory:

4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s
3.5 available to games (estimate)

Storage:

- High speed Blu-ray drive

single layer (25 GB) or dual layer (50 GB) discs
Partial constant angular velocity (PCAV)
Outer half of disc 6x (27 MB/s)
Inner half varies, 3.3x to 6x

Internal mass storage

One SKU at launch: 500 GB HDD
There may also be a Flash drive SKU in the future

Networking:

1 Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WIFI, and Bluetooth

Peripherals:

Evolved Dualshock controller
Dual Camera
Move controller

Extra:

Audio Processor (ACP)
Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
Zlib Decompression Hardware

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-orbis-unveiled/

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
That programmable logic souns like FPGA. Would be science fiction: Naughty Dog would program its own chip for lighting, Santa Monica would build its own chip for skinning, Guerrilla its own AI chip...
I wonder what partner they would choose between Altera and Xilinx. Personally I find Xilinx the better solution due to the great range and great technologies they have. For example, Virtex-7 series could be a nice touch to Orbis:

virtex760k9f.png

I think Virtex-7 is DDR3 only though. Other FPGAs by Xilinx support DDR, DDR2, LPDDR and LPDDR2 as well. Regardless, I would find an FPGA like this in Orbis awesome.

Krabardaf

18 Compute Units (CUs)
Hardware balanced at 14 CUs

Any idea what that means?

Dual camera with move sounds crappy, hope they won't go for another mimic that nobody cares about. They have an opportunity to deliver a high performance console that focuses on games and "core gamers". Nintendo isn't on this market, and it seems it will only be part of Microsoft plans. Would love them to go that way.

Rösti;46996917 said:
I wonder what partner they would choose between Altera and Xilinx. Personally I find Xilinx the better solution due to the great range and great technologies they have. For example, Virtex-7 series could be a nice touch to Orbis:

virtex760k9f.png

I think Virtex-7 is DDR3 only though. Other FPGAs by Xilinx support DDR, DDR2, LPDDR and LPDDR2 as well. Regardless, I would find an FPGA like this in Orbis awesome.

I prefer Xilinx aswell but it might be very difficult to get enough Virtex-7 for millions of consoles.

androvsky

Rösti;46996917 said:

$5999.

Just for the FPGA. Yes that's four digits.

I'm not joking.

MaulerX

There is way more detail in this Orbis unveil than the Durango one. Also block diagram in Orbis looks very simple and straight forward as well. Where's the special sauce? Also bandwidth is what we expected. Didn't specify RAM type thou.

Top Bottom