• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGleaks: Orbis Unveiled! [Updated]

sangreal

wasn't that 176G/s bandwidth basically made up here on GAF a few days ago after someone suggested the 192G/s is an old figure or something? this article sounds fishy imo :p

someone on gaf (BruceLeeRoy?) said they got that number from their source, yes

Chamber

love on your sleeve
One SKU? Thank you.

Yeah, it is. Prepare for the explosion.

iboEy6ZVGUuKol.gif

OT but who is this dude?

FrankT

wasn't that 176G/s bandwidth basically made up here on GAF a few days ago after someone suggested the 192G/s is an old figure or something? this article sounds fishy imo :p

Noticed that myself. Everything coming full circle now. Price point will be interesting on this thing as well.

I will not believe that Sony isn't using BDXL. They're promoting 4K like it's the next big thing. Either that or it'll be using H.265 will help compress the video (which doesn't make sense when the whole idea of 4K and blu-ray is avoiding excessive compression?).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Heaven help us all when Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica reveal what they're birthing for this beast. Eyes will be melted.

8 ROPs sounds a little on the low side, specially with all that bandwidth...

Hardware balanced for 14 CUs also got me intrigued. Were they targeting 14 CU for graphics, tuned to whole system to that number and put another 4CUs for compute non graphic stuff?

Or 4CUs are reserved for whatever?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I'm pretty sure it's beastly. But let me guess, something something high end PCs something something years ago something something.

if the xbox 360 is the established barometer for a powerful console at launch, a 2013 equivalent would be packing a GPU edging on 3Tflops.

What makes you think it will be under $400 and profitable?

the CPU is a couple of underclocked netbook chips tied together, the GPU was distinctly midrange 18 months before the console is supposed to launch, single unified memory pool means no dealing with multiple buses.

i'm sure it'll punch above it's weight, but it's a very conservative and streamlined effort on the hardware front. the anti-PS3.

JoeFenix

Specs sound good but I REALLY want BC to happen.

They need to have a solution, I want one console that can run PS1 PS2 PS3 and PS4 games.

TheContact

okay but are the developers going to have an easy time making games for it or will it be like last gen where the ps3 port was usually inferior to the 360 port

I will not believe that Sony isn't using BDXL. They're promoting 4K like it's the next big thing. Either that or it'll be using H.265 will help compress the video (which doesn't make sense when the whole idea of 4K and blu-ray is avoiding excessive compression?).

These aren't final.

Somnid

Seems in line with previous leaks, I guess it's pretty legit.

The main pitfalls I see are priced too high, poor BC scenario and third parties not taking Sony's new inputs into account while Sony first party devs aren't enough to make them worthwhile.

acm2000

so its basically identical to durango? only different being ram set up, of which both have advantages and disadvantages

Kudos. 2TFLOP in a box achieved, even if barely. Sad to see the APU rumors didnt exactly pan out the way I hoped. I do hope that the fast bandwidth and context-switching between the GPU and CPU of the Liverpool SOC enable things not previously possible.

Specs sound good but I REALLY want BC to happen.

They need to have a solution, I want one console that can run PS1 PS2 PS3 and PS4 games.

I'm guessing they'd have the BC flash drive they patented. Pretty good solution though. I think the 1 SKU they'd sell won't have the BC and the BC Flash drive will be optional.

Top Bottom