• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtuos (FFX+X-2, Ezio colletion, Batman RTA) porting a AAA title to Switch

jdstorm

Banned
Given their history my bet would be Injustice 2.

It ticks all the boxes

1. Big AAA Game (Singular)
2. Virtuos has previously done a port of Injustice 1 to android
3. The Switch has done a good job of attracting an audience of fighting games (ARMS 1M+ Street Fighter 2 400K+, Pokken due soon, Smash TBD

It ticks all the boxes

3. The Switch has done a good job of attracting an audience of fighting games (ARMS 1M+ Street Fighter 2 400K+, Pokken due soon, Smash TBD

Meh.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

It ticks all the boxes

This makes alot of sense. Goal might be to have the Switch version ready for a GotY type re-release on PS4/XBO.

Seik

Banned
My heart tells me FFXII or KH1.5+2.5 and I sure hope it's right.

About Injustice 2, as someone who played and saw it in action, I doubt the Switch could pull it off, unless it's heavily dumbed down in many departments, I'd be happy to eat crow though! NRS managed to port MK9 and Injustice to Vita after all.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If its FFX-X.2 it would be the first post FF7 mainline FF to hit a Nintendo console.

Crazy,

It ticks all the boxes

While that would make sense, I think any Injustice 2 port to Switch would be developed alongside a PC port as well. Like how High Voltage developed the PS4 and PC ports of Injustice 1.

Dremorak

Banned

It ticks all the boxes

Fair enough on the other ones, but this isnt true. The mobile game is a very different thing, made from the ground up.

Jockel

I mean it's not the developer I would have chosen for the F-Zero GX Remaster, but I'll live with it.

:(

jdstorm

Banned
Fair enough on the other ones, but this isnt true. The mobile game is a very different thing, made from the ground up.

I am aware of that. (I think i put in over 1000 hours into the IOS version of Injustice 1)

The thing is Injustice 1 was so successful on IOS that Injustice 2 was almost fully integrated with the console version. The mobile port of Injustice 2 has the full singleplayer campaign being released bit by bit for free and the 2.0 version of the IOS version of Injustice 1 was the genesis of Injustice 2's multiverse mode.

So with injustice 2 the mobile version isn't just a cash in throwaway. Its a legitimate part of the plan.

Besides Injustice 2 was built on Unreal 3 while the Switch is mainly designed to easily run Unreal 4. Virtuos with the Batman Arkham collection already has experience transitioning games from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4. Due to this they are one of the best equipped studios to tackle this challenge

Dremorak

Banned
I am aware of that. (I think i put in over 1000 hours into the IOS version of Injustice 1)

The thing is Injustice 1 was so successful on IOS that Injustice 2 was almost fully integrated with the console version. The mobile port of Injustice 2 has the full singleplayer campaign being released bit by bit for free and the 2.0 version of the IOS version of Injustice 1 was the genesis of Injustice 2's multiverse mode.

So with injustice 2 the mobile version isn't just a cash in throwaway. Its a legitimate part of the plan.

Besides Injustice 2 was built on Unreal 3 while the Switch is mainly designed to easily run Unreal 4. Virtuos with the Batman Arkham collection already has experience transitioning games from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4. Due to this they are one of the best equipped studios to tackle this challenge
Fair enough, but its not a port :) they are still built completely separately from the ground up

atbigelow

I don't think it'll be a UE4 title. The dude wouldn't list having to rewrite the renderer in a Vulkan-esque API; if they were using an older version of UE4, it'd probably be a lot easier to just move the updated renderer UE4 for Switch is using back to the title.

Which also raises the question: I wonder what API UE4 for Switch is using.

man fuck Injustice, probably the most boring AAA port they could possibly announce.

PLEASE be FF12 IZJS. Switch needs a dope RPG.

jdstorm

Banned
Fair enough, but its not a port :) they are still built completely separately from the ground up

The IOS version was built from the ground up to be different to the console version, but the Android version of Injustice 1 that virtous worked on porting from IOS came much later.

TLDR. What i said was "True, from a certain point of view" but i could have been more specific in my origional post.

FFX/FFX-2 HD isn't on Xbox One. Is there something where only Sony gets these specific FF games as far as consoles/handhelds go. I wouldn't expect it on the Switch if MS can't even get them.

had no idea it's not on PC

wat

After the clusterfuck that was the PC version of Mortal Kombat X, it was the right move.

FFX/FFX-2 HD isn't on Xbox One. Is there something where only Sony gets these specific FF games as far as consoles/handhelds go. I wouldn't expect it on the Switch if MS can't even get them.

We don't know for sure but the fact the PC versions of FFX/X-2 came out an exact year after the PS4 release indicates Sony had at least some form of timed exclusivity.

Philippo

A possible few that comes to mind:
Batman Arkham Collection
Injustice 2
Bioshock Collection
Borderlands Collection
Diablo III
Overwatch (although i don't know if Blizzard would work on this personally or not)

I think re-releases on Switch could be good and these should all be released, maybe not sell a lot but still reinforce the idea of big western games can work.

Same goes for Japan, there's a bunch of recent titles that would be dope. (RE7,MvC:I/SF5,DSIII,T7,ToB)

I would love it
First was great and second seems.better
Portable mode would be ace

Boon also hinted at it fee months ago

Yeah. Just for me I don't care for fighting games. Smash is the only fighting game I play lol. I know I'm in the minority though.

Danneee

I sure hope it isn't FFX or any Warner game.

FFXII would be awesome though. Only way I'd be able to finally play that game (never touching a non portable rpg again).

Batman Arkham Collection
Injustice 2
Bioshock Collection
Borderlands Collection
Diablo III
Overwatch (although i don't know if Blizzard would work on this personally or not)

I think re-releases on Switch could be good and these should all be released, maybe not sell a lot but still reinforce the idea of big western games can work.

Same goes for Japan, there's a bunch of recent titles that would be dope. (RE7,MvC:I/SF5,DSIII,T7,ToB)

I would pay luckily 60€ for a Diablo III port with all DLC included.
Diablo III on the go would be so great. I also think it would sell very well

Monolith did work on the game design for BotW, so it's not really the same thing. They were certainly more involved with BotW than TOSE was on Splatoon 2.

That is all I was saying, I understand what Monolith did in Zelda just pointing out they worked on the game just like TOSE had a hand in Splatoon 2 but those titles are not claimed to be Monolith Soft or TOSE games. Just working on some parts does not mean the team claims the whole project. It is not the same as a developer that ports a whole title from start to finish. And yeah agreed Monolith did a lot more work on Zelda than what access TOSE had for Splatoon. MSoft has been taking part in Zelda for a while don't they show up in the credits for Twilight Princess?

They don't do just ports. They also do art outsourcing. I just meant to give an example of Nintendo not doing everything in-house and this is a recent one.

Regarding holding this project under wraps, I don't know. Whoever is behind this game probably has a reason for it. I don't think it matters much who the publisher is. What matters more is when the targeted release deadline is.

I did not say TOSE does only ports I said they do grunt work. This is nothing new for Nintendo to work with TOSE, but grunt work is not a port. The thread is about a developer working on an AAA port for Switch. You said it might not be a 3rd party but Nintendo. I am just saying this is not how Nintendo supports a collaboration. A Port is a complete game code being reworked to fit a targeted platform it is closer to creating a full game more than it is helping out with code and art assets as TOSE does often for Nintendo. Virtuos working directly for Nintendo is just less likely from the hints we have so far.

We all know how secretive Nintendo can be but they are never super secretive about ports, Sometimes ports do come out of left field like Twilight Princess HD but still when they show up they are often connected to another game or new amiibo. My point is if Nintendo was working with Virtuos I think they would have featured whatever title this is on a Nintendo Direct they would not hide it. This is a 3rd party who likes things quiet and can drop the port at anytime if things are going badly.

We only have SMASH and Mario Maker missing from porting to Switch. What would you think Virtuos would work on for Nintendo? Xenoblade X?

If these guys are working on SMASH this would be a major downgrade from Sakurai working with Bandai Namco who did pretty much all of SMASH 4 not Nintendo's internal teams. So even if Sakurai steps away from directing a port someone at Namco side would have stepped up.

If Pokken did not get kicked out of Bandai Namco (was it?) to be ported, SMASH 4 which has a higher profile history is not going to be handed over to a western dev like Virtuos without some major leaks even if Nintendo did not want to feature this team.

If you are right, I could only see Xenoblade X being thrown out like this since they have allowed a super weak 3DS port of a past Xenoblade title, I can see that being a possibility, since Monolith Soft is busy.

I just feel a Nintendo Title by this team is a long shot.

edit: And if these guys are porting Bayonetta 1 & 2 I would be SUPER PISSED!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
With the coding work described in the op, I doubt it is an Unreal engine game. It seems less than efficient, to reimplement the renderer directly to Switch, when the game is running on Unreal Engine. Therefore I'd rather expect a game that is running on a custom engine from a studio.

Batman Arkham Collection
Injustice 2
Bioshock Collection
Borderlands Collection
Diablo III

i want them all hehe.

Would live to see a good hack and slash and a great fps on the system.

I hope it's FF XII, would make the most sense as a portable game compared to the other examples in the OP (and continuing FF's long history of handheld ports).

X / X-2 are already available on Vita.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
After the clusterfuck that was the PC version of Mortal Kombat X, it was the right move.

We don't know for sure but the fact the PC versions of FFX/X-2 came out an exact year after the PS4 release indicates Sony had at least some form of timed exclusivity.
Square does such a horrible job building final fantasy on other platforms in surprised it sells as well as it does on Xbox

jdstorm

Banned
If they are porting an older game it would make sense for it to be an older Unreal Engine 3 title.

One out of left field posibility (that definitely won't happen) could be Mirrors Edge.

1. EA will likely want a quick/cheap gap filler on the Switch now that it has started to come out strong. Mirrors Edge is a relitively short primarily singleplayer experience that already has HD assets.
2. Mirrors Edge has never appeadred on a Nintendo platform and its relitively non violent platforming gameplay is one of the most suitable IPs EA own when it comes to Nintendo's Audience
3. 2018 will be the 10 year anniversary of the origional Mirrors Edge.

Alpha Protocol could be another left field suggestion as could Prince of Persia: Sands of Time HD

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That is all I was saying, I understand what Monolith did in Zelda just pointing out they worked on the game just like TOSE had a hand in Splatoon 2 but those titles are not claimed to be Monolith Soft or TOSE games. Just working on some parts does not mean the team claims the whole project. It is not the same as a developer that ports a whole title from start to finish. And yeah agreed Monolith did a lot more work on Zelda than what access TOSE had for Splatoon. MSoft has been taking part in Zelda for a while don't they show up in the credits for Twilight Princess?

Nah they were acquired in 2007 so didn't start working on other Nintendo projects before that. I think their ability to work on graphics for The Subspace Emissary in SSBB was one of reasons why Nintendo found them an attractive acquisition, apart from Disaster and Xenoblade. Skyward Sword was the first Zelda they contributed to, but it wasn't really on game design as it was graphics again. That's what makes their contribution to BotW larger than any of those, since they had their Tokyo studio contribute to the game design on top of the Kyoto studio still handling a fair amount of graphic assets.

Square does such a horrible job building final fantasy on other platforms in surprised it sells as well as it does on Xbox

I'm not sure why you think it's Square Enix's job to build that fanbase on other platforms, that's the platform holders job, not theirs. Same thing goes with the shitload of other Japanese games that avoid Xbox like the plague.

Sadist

I hope its FF XII; would be neat to have it portable.

But good news all around for Switch regarding software. Step yo game up third parties.

I hope its FF XII; would be neat to have it portable.

But good news all around for Switch regarding software. Step yo game up third parties.

A lot more third party games will come. Many were waiting to see it sell and see it will get an install base. I keep telling people to wait until E3 2018 to see how good third party support will be for Switch.

coughlanio

A lot more third party games will come. Many were waiting to see it sell and see it will get an install base. I keep telling people to wait until E3 2018 to see how good third party support will be for Switch.

I think we'll see all major publishers release a half baked port of an older game, wonder why they only sold 100k copies and never release another game on the system again.

I think we'll see all major publishers release a half baked port of an older game, wonder why they only sold 100k copies and never release another game on the system again.

Yeah, thankfully that hasn't been the case so far and almost literally every third party had their game exceed expectations or is pleased with it's sales (from Bomberman to Disgaea 5 to Ultra Street Fighter 2).

Switch is not the WiiU.

Philippo

I would pay luckily 60€ for a Diablo III port with all DLC included.
Diablo III on the go would be so great. I also think it would sell very well

Especially if they work some magic and have 4-player coop on one consol, plus transferrable datas so that the same play can continue at distance.

kromeo

I hope someone does a Xenoblade X port, I want to give the game another chance, preferably with readable text.

FFX/X-2 would be a shame, I've already bought them 4 times...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm not sure why you think it's Square Enix's job to build that fanbase on other platforms, that's the platform holders job, not theirs. Same thing goes with the shitload of other Japanese games that avoid Xbox like the plague.
That's literally the point of these hd remasters, Xbox already gets the new mainline final fantasy games, the platform holder already down its job, its now the 3rd party publishers time to do its job, unless you think the platform holders job is to wade hand and foot to 3rd parties

Top Bottom