• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtuos (FFX+X-2, Ezio colletion, Batman RTA) porting a AAA title to Switch

Yagami_Sama

That is interesting, good games are always welcome.

Batman is a good bet, because we got some titles for Wii U. But I am totally in for a Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo home console. Final Fantasy XIII Collection would be superb.

Let's hope this is true and we got an announcement soon.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
That says that Final Fantasy XII is a "AAA title," not that they view a remake of it to be a "AAA title."

e.g. The Mona Lisa is a masterpiece. A remake of the Mona Lisa is not a masterpiece.

But that's not what they are saying about this port either. As title states "porting an AAA title to switch".

watershed

Banned
I never knew how much I wanted FFXII on the Switch until now. Now I can't stop thinking about it

It's a perfect fit for the platform. I really hope it happens. I could easily see myself sinking hours into the hunts while playing in handheld mode.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's both, really. They made a lot of changes to the game, enough to make it feel different and new.

FFXII: The Zodiac Age is the very definition of remaster; not remake.
If you were only exposed to the US release of FFXII, I suppose I could see why you'd consider it to have elements of a remake to it. However, TZA isn't a remaster of the 2006 original game, but the 2007, JP-only FFXII: International Zodiac Job System. The significant bulk of the gameplay changes between vanilla and TZA are actually lifted straight from IZJS.

Oh, there were a few changes made for TZA. Some loot tables, drops, and gear were adjusted. The 9999 damage cap was lifted. The magick effects buffer queue was dropped. A second fast-forward option was added. And they upped the job count per character from one to two. They added some new OST options. They front-loaded the gambits towards the beginning of the game, to give you more tactical options sooner. The Sky Pirate's Den was cut out. But this is so close to IZJS, that you can literally pull up some FAQs and walkthroughs from the 2007 edition of the game and have no issues. (FAQs and walkthroughs of the 2006 Vanilla release are pretty much useless, though).

mieumieu

FFXII: The Zodiac Age is the very definition of remaster; not remake.
If you were only exposed to the US release of FFXII, I suppose I could see why you'd consider it to have elements of a remake to it. However, TZA isn't a remaster of the 2006 original game, but the 2007, JP-only FFXII: International Zodiac Job System. The significant bulk of the gameplay changes between vanilla and TZA are actually lifted straight from IZJS.

Oh, there were a few changes made for TZA. Some loot tables, drops, and gear were adjusted. The 9999 damage cap was lifted. The magick effects buffer queue was dropped. A second fast-forward option was added. And they upped the job count per character from one to two. They added some new OST options. They front-loaded the gambits towards the beginning of the game, to give you more tactical options sooner. The Sky Pirate's Den was cut out. But this is so close to IZJS, that you can literally pull up some FAQs and walkthroughs from the 2007 edition of the game and have no issues. (FAQs and walkthroughs of the 2006 Vanilla release are pretty much useless, though).

The line is blurrier than you think. Would you classify the new Colossus PS4 game by Bluepoint as a remaster or remake, if it uses some of the PS2 game logic and plays the same?

What about Crash which intentionally matches the PSX version gameplay even when it is made from scratch?

Pachinko

Is it at all possible these guys are porting DQXI to switch ? No one knows much about that port yet so it makes some level of sense that it's being done externally.

Alienous

Rockstar doesn't care about Nintendo people.

kanye-west-comment-on-bush1.jpg

I have no trust in this port.

Here's the thing. The job post implied a Switch-specific port, but it seems that Virtuos might be behind all versions of L.A. Noire?

Just a theory, I hope this isn't all they're doing on Switch.

Top Bottom