• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRFocus: Big Morpheus push at Sony presser, half of their booth devoted to it

Peltz

Does anyone feel like Oculus may be the odd one out here, as far as input goes? Both Vive and Morpheus have wands as inputs. Oculus will likely have hand tracking of some sort. Game design between the Vibe and Morph as far as control, will be very similar. Oculus ports of those games will take some re-work most likely. Will they be at a disadvantage even though their solution is arguably more advanced?

We don't know Oculus's input solution yet. It has yet to be revealed.... maybe we'll know today?

We've got another 3 hours and 15 minutes as of this writing until we hear more :)

Horohoro

I see VR doing well but personally I'm still much more interested in AR and what MS brings to the table with hololens. Seems like a more solid concept in my mind as opposed to cutting me off from the real world visually I can put a presence of things into my world.

Do we know if Morpheus will only be playable with move controllers? Because if it is, they lost a customer, I'm all for VR, but the move controllers are really, really bad. If I am to buy a VR headset for immersion, I don't want it to be ruined because of poor representation of movement/aim.

Do we know if Morpheus will only be playable with move controllers? Because if it is, they lost a customer, I'm all for VR, but the move controllers are really, really bad. If I am to buy a VR headset for immersion, I don't want it to be ruined because of poor representation of movement/aim.

I really hope that isn't the case.

I see VR doing well but personally I'm still much more interested in AR and what MS brings to the table with hololens. Seems like a more solid concept in my mind as opposed to cutting me off from the real world visually I can put a presence of things into my world.

But they can put the reality in VR too and it would even look more seamlessly and without the FOV problems for the virtual objects.

Sure, Hololens seems to be quite an impressive piece of tech, but for now nobody knows when/if they overcome the problems.

It'll work with the DS4 too.

amnesiac

You can play with just the headset, with a traditional controller, and with the Move controllers. Control styles vary from game to game.

The Move controllers seem to work very well with Morpheus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dW3VsE5tCE&feature=youtu.be&t=123

Does anyone feel like Oculus may be the odd one out here, as far as input goes? Both Vive and Morpheus have wands as inputs. Oculus will likely have hand tracking of some sort. Game design between the Vibe and Morph as far as control, will be very similar. Oculus ports of those games will take some re-work most likely. Will they be at a disadvantage even though their solution is arguably more advanced?

I think ultimately you want camera track with perhaps gloves fitted with many LEDs to accurately track hand and finger movement.

"Hand physics" will be a very important part of VR and immersion imo.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep

I remember a while back there was a sony patent for a controller with 2 joysticks that could be separated into two pieces.
I remember this because I designed a very similar controller for a class I had in college.

Here it is. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-patents-hybrid-dualshock-move-controller/1100-6400837/

I personally believe that Move controls for VR will last as long as Move controls in general.

Yeah, I say it, I want to sit and play with a DS4, just enjoying the optical illusion. Being tied up with a cable like an old fashioned diver I can't see me standing/moving and waving my hands around.

You can play with just the headset, with a traditional controller, and the Move controllers. Control styles vary from game to game.

The Move controllers seem to work very well with Morpheus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dW3VsE5tCE&feature=youtu.be&t=123

That just looks bad to me to be honest. I hope the better games don't require the move controllers.

I personally believe that Move controls for VR will last as long as Move controls in general.

Yeah, I say it, I want to sit and play with a DS4, just enjoying the optical illusion. Being tied up with a cable like an old fashioned diver I can't see me standing/moving and waving my hands around.

Yeah I'm hoping it's just a phase. You just don't have enough precise control over how you move with it and it would definitely break immersion for me. The faster it dies as a phase, the better it will be for gameplay purpose for players and devs too in general.

UrbanRats

I agree you wouldn't be getting the same experience (obviously) but how else are you going to get the word out about your product? Also I would argue watching someone play a regular video game is already very different from playing it yourself. VR is another step removed, but showing the games be played is still worth while.

Oh yeah for sure, the only big solution I see, is getting as many demo stations as possible around the world, and encourage word of mouth any way you can.

MaDKaT

I cant wait to see what Sony has in store for Morpheus. I have been waiting for consumer VR for what seems like forever. First experience was in the early 90's. Cumbersome and heavy head units with horrid resolution and tiny FOV, massive controls, and yet still amazing. Now having experienced the Oculus Dev Kits, I will be jumping in full steam. This is as exciting to me as the jump from sprites to polygonal 3D, and I expect the transition to be just as rough. Morpheus is pretty much day one for me already as it seems Sony is putting forth a solid effort. Haven't decided what Im going with for PC(leaning Vive). Project CARS, even on a DK1, was fantastic and pretty much sealed the deal for PC VR to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Do we know if Morpheus will only be playable with move controllers?

They've shown a few demos using the DS4 only - EvE, one of the robots demos (the 120hz one). They had a panel at GDC, a large part of which was about ideas for how to use DS4 features in a VR context. So for sure, devs can use the DS4 alone if they want.

UrbanRats

You're still just a spectator.

I played many videogames before.
When they show me Uncharted 4 i know exactly how the things i see on screen relate to my past experiences playing action adventure shooters, and can have a good idea of what actually playing will feel like, because i have good comparison metrics.

When someone talks about "presence" and how immersive and mind blowing something completely mundane (from the outside) is, i have to either take their word for it, or try it myself.

I played many videogames before.
When they show me Uncharted 4 i know exactly how the things i see on screen relate to my past experiences playing action adventure shooters, and can have a good idea of what actually playing will feel like, because i have good comparison metrics.

When someone talks about "presence" and how immersive and mind blowing something completely mundane (from the outside) is, i have to either take their word for it, or try it myself.

You're still just a spectator.

Oh yeah for sure, the only big solution I see, is getting as many demo stations as possible around the world, and encourage word of mouth any way you can.
I think early adopters showing this stuff off to friends and family will absolutely be critical for Morpheus and all other VR. The problem I see with demo stations in public places is stuff breaking and pinkeye.

They really, really aren't.

Oh they are. I had them the moment they came out. Boxed for years since I was 15 years old and when I played that fight game, I felt extremely limited, it was just plain bad. The limitations, the lack of precision, the unresponsiveness, it was all very, very bad. Went on the play other games with it and always had the same opinion. Sold them not too long after. Should I really specify it's my opinion though for you to not feel somewhat offended by it?

UrbanRats

I think early adopters showing this stuff off to friends and family will absolutely be critical for Morpheus and all other VR. The problem I see with demo stations in public places is stuff breaking and pinkeye.

I think a bit like smartphones, the general buzz will make most of the heavy lifting.
Of course, it will not have an adoption rate as fast as smartphones (simply because usefulness isn't as immediately obvious) but i think it'll be as ubiquitous, in a couple of decades.
Supporting activities well past gaming, being a very crucial element of this.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh they are. I've had them the moment they came out. Boxed for years since I was 15 years old and when I played that fight game, I felt extremely limited, it was just plain bad. The limitations, the lack of precision, the unresponsiveness, it was all very, very bad. Went on the play other games with it and always had the same opinion. Should I really specify it's a opinion though for you to not feel somewhat offended by it?
Haha. I wasn't offended. But they are fairly accurate/precise, so I'm guessing the problem was largely whatever software you were using with it, or you're just very bad with them. Either way, it'll be a different story in VR. There wont be that disconnect you get with motion controls between you and what's happening on a TV in front of you.

They'll work quite well, really.

onesvenus

I've seen this theory been passed around at times, and I'm not sure why that is, perhaps it's a misunderstanding stemming from Valve's facebook-textured demo where they made a point about presence. In my opinion it's untrue that hsimple graphics uniformly always is more edible just because VR adds more immersion. In practice, just like with traditional experiences we have today, minimalism only takes you so far; it fits some (and fits some circumstances) but others not. And I know this from a couple of years of more or less daily VR experience: Details are just as compelling in VR as they are anywhere else.
There are a lot of scientific papers claiming the same, when some of the other senses are working in conjunction, it's easy to trick your mind into thinking that you are really there. That's what presence is.
I worked on a VR lab 5 years ago and although graphics were as simple as PS2 games, people really felt being there.

Oppo

Sports Champions Table Tennis on Gold level sold me in Move accuracy. shit is bonkers.

i'll be happy with move controllers, not just because I own them, but because it seems like straightforward way to actually enable Z positioning with your hands, as in reaching out for something into the screen. that Tumble game did this really well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if VR is going to be this gen's 3D. It's a great idea, but somehow I feel like VR is not being considered by mainline developers. I think it could down the road, but in all honesty I don't think a lot of them are implementing it this early. Sure the camera angle is up close, but 3rd person games IMO are just going to have a screen where its closer than before.

I would definitely get it for first person games, but something like the Witcher or possibly UC4 may need a demo or something.

amnesiac

How do you move your character with the Move controllers? I'm guessing they might have a new revision with analog sticks.

Haha. I wasn't offended. But they are fairly accurate/precise, so I'm guessing the problem was largely whatever software you were using with it, or you're just very bad with them. Either way, it'll be a different story in VR. There wont be that disconnect you get with motion controls between you and what's happening on a TV in front of you.

They'll work quite well, really.
Different story for sure as I won't be playing with them at all. lol Depending on the amount of games that requires the move controller at Morpheus's release, I might just pass on it all and wait for them to wake up from that nightmareish idea of implanting Move controllers in more games than they should.

I'm afraid the move controller oriented games will be lack luster and on-rails type of games anyway. Won't be missed at all when the phase passes on.

Krakn3Dfx

Nothing I like more than seeing sweaty people with a pair of goggles strapped to their face on stage telling me how great something I can't actually see looks.

If Sony spends more than 10 minutes on this on stage, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Renpatsu

How do you move your character with the Move controllers? I'm guessing they might have a new revision with analog sticks.
There is a move controller with an analog stick called the navigation controller.
320px-PlayStation-Move-Navigator.jpg

Nothing I like more than seeing sweaty people with a pair of goggles strapped to their face on stage telling me how great something I can't actually see looks.

If Sony spends more than 10 minutes on this on stage, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

What? There will be a giant screen that shows exactly what is being seen in the VR Headset at all times.

ido

I wonder if VR is going to be this gen's 3D. It's a great idea, but somehow I feel like VR is not being considered by mainline developers. I think it could down the road, but in all honesty I don't think a lot of them are implementing it this early. Sure the camera angle is up close, but 3rd person games IMO are just going to have a screen where its closer than before.

I would definitely get it for first person games, but something like the Witcher or possibly UC4 may need a demo or something.

Third person games work just fine in VR. Check this out to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Lucky's Tale gameplay

Essentially, you are the "camera", and from most reports it's very very cool.

edit: and also, it's important for us to realize that not everything is going to translate well to VR. VR titles should be built with VR in mind from the ground up, imo.

Sony made a street fighting game(The Fight), that used the move controllers to navigate, by tilting in whatever direction you wanted to "move" and it worked great. Slight tilt slow movement aggressive tilt fast movement.

remember killzone shadowfall's mp resolution?

960x1080.

that's the resolution per eye on morpheus.

and didn't they do something to make it seem like a full image?

you heard it here first, folks.

Seanspeed

Banned
Different story for sure as I won't be playing with them at all. lol Depending on the amount of games that requires the move controller at Morpheus's release, I might just pass on it all and wait for them to wake up from that nightmareish idea of implanting Move controllers in more games than they should.

I'm afraid the move controller oriented games will be lack luster and on-rails type of games anyway. Won't be missed at all when the phase passes on.
It's a different story because motion controls take on an entirely different meaning in VR. You don't do something with the Move controller and then something happens on a screen in front of you. Motion controls become an extension of yourself.

Anyways, just another 'haven't even tried it yet I'm going to write it off' post to throw in with the pile. <yawn>

Mihos

Gold Member

Honestly, the 3rd person games control and feel better than the 1st person games right now. And it is said 100 times, but games isn't the reason it will take off... and it will be huge. you can 'also' play games on it is a better way to introduce the tech.

What? There will be a giant screen that shows exactly what is being seen in the VR Headset at all times.

People keep forgetting that Morpheus shows exact gameplay via the screens output and so make it easy to watch what the person is doing. Hell, its not even like the early Rift stuff where the screen was split but instead looks like a normal game which means its easy to show whats going on.

There is a move controller with an analog stick called the navigation controller.

that's just half a dualshock 3 man, I wouldn't even call it PS Move controller since it didn't have the tracking light.

although thankfully, all DS4 controller have their own tracking light.

ido

You'll be able to see the gameplay. And if you're familiar with VR, you should be able to imagine what that gameplay will be like in VR.

I do admit if you have yet to try modern VR, it's going to be a bit difficult for you to understand how immersive the experience may be.

I think a lot of what we do on these forums is discuss impressions and opinions from other people, since most of us do not have the luxury to attend E3. We should have a shit load of impressions from dozens of different people about VR in the coming weeks. VR is great in that aspect, as you can't just show a video and wow people. You have to bring the goods, and let people try it. And it usually always speaks for itself. No arguing about bullshots, or prerendered footage.

Josman

PSY&#12539;S;167337584 said:
The Move controllers are bad? This is news to me.

They're good, but the person who thought it was a good idea to exclude an analog stick from the control with the tracking leds should be fired, as it limited it severely.

There's going to be a virtual movie theater application, right? Watching blu-rays on a virtual movie theater screen would generate a lot of appeal to early adopters even if the first batch of games aren't great.

My chum at Sony in London said that they're still getting new revisions of the hardware fairly often. It'll be interesting to see if they show off the actual device itself more, or rather the games/demos.

Mihos

Gold Member
There's going to be a virtual movie theater application, right? Watching blu-rays on a virtual movie theater screen would generate a lot of appeal to early adopters even if the first batch of games aren't great.

There is on the GearVR, so I can't see them not having it. Watching a 3D movie in a VR theatre is incredible

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Since I keep hearing Sony will have the cheaper VR alternative among the upcoming visors, are there infos about prices for Rift/Vive?

Top Bottom