• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRFocus: Big Morpheus push at Sony presser, half of their booth devoted to it

Krejlooc

Banned
Yo viveks86, the PS4, used normally, can push over a billion polygons per second and tens of thousands of draw calls.

Yes, the reduction in available assets will be a comparable step back compared to what the Note 4 could do on it's own, to what it wound up doing in VR. But given the enormous numbers you are talking about to begin with, that still is going to leave you with a considerable headroom to work with.

I explained in my previous posts how this reduction in headspace manifests in games. The environments are smaller, there is less going on, you won't have games on the scale of what the PS4 or even the PS3 pushed very hard can deliver in terms of scope. What you have to work with will dictate lots of design choices for how you create your game.

But, again, you still have a considerable amount to work with. The thing with VR games is that, ideally, so much of the design is going to be dictated merely by the switch from conventional screen to VR to begin with. You're not going to get sprawling VR games where you walk through an entire city like in GTAV for a variety of reasons, not least of which being we don't know how to produce that kind of game in VR yet. There are so many questions about input and locomotion that haven't been correctly tackled yet that not having enough power under the hood to create such a world in VR in the first place is the least of your worries.

What I've envisioned the first wave of consumer VR being for a long while now are programs that make you feel like you are sitting or standing in a small environment. Sitting at a desk or on a couch or some sort of chair. You aren't really meant to get up and go and walk around. Your ability to physically traverse these VR environments is mainly limited to your ability to stretch your torso and look around, and have your hands tracked as far as they can reach. This is what the hardware available lends itself well enough to do, this is what the early understood VR design practices lend themselves well enough to do, this is generally how a lot of early VR programs are trending.

Now, look at Sony's demos, and you can see how they are building these demos around these limitations. You're in a room in the Heist, you're in a shark tank in the shark demo, you're in a luge, etc. Over on the PC side of things, you have better hardware available and it can let you do just a little bit more - your area is now about 225 square feet with Vive, and you can see devs already starting to build relocatable cockpits and platforms that mimic this area in early vive demos - but the types of games this better hardware will afford will still be limited in many of the same ways. The $1500 PC that Oculus recommends isn't going to be a world beater when it comes to VR.

When you get into the high end experimental VR stuff, you can see some really crazy stuff - redirected walking, omnidirectional treadmills, games and demos that aim to tackle very ambitious things. But the hardware to do this stuff is astronomical in price (talking stuff like dual Titan X cards in SLI), the conventions in development are very much works in progress and vary in quality, and you're overall hit with a lot more "jank" for lack of better word. When you get into really high end VR - and for the first time average consumers can actually do that if they are willing to drop the money - it honestly feels more like you're entering research and development. Because you really are.

That very high end will not come to the PS4. It will come next generation. That's when we will see these methods refined into forms that are palpitate and "idiot proof." Thats when the cost of hardware will drop enough to let teenagers buy this stuff. That is far off.

Step back from the ledge, what the PS4 can do isn't going to be so hamstrung that it's going to provide you with VR that is undercooked and snake oil.

Krejlooc

Banned
Incidentally, the type of VR stuff I can see the first consumer VR hardware really being good at is stuff like this:

Bjork releases VR music video

All the media stuff that is going down, like the Samsung teaming up with the NBA or Fox making movies for the rift? I wouldn't doubt that very quickly all that stuff is going to be available on every VR headset. The requirements to playback VR film are very low.

viveks86

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll just have to wait and see how all this pans out. I have tried morpheus already and will most likely buy a vive as soon as it's out. My PC and PS4 are ready and waiting :D

FleetFeet

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll just have to wait and see how all this pans out. I have tried morpheus already and will most likely buy a vive as soon as it's out. My PC and PS4 are ready and waiting :D

Wait you've already tried PM??? LOL and how was it? :p

ido

Oh, I'm sure it's a great experience, but I have reservations with a device that's going to cut me off from the outside world. Kids, pets, etc.

Hmm.

What reservations do you have against that, exactly? To me it's not much different than closing my door and being alone to watch a movie or play a game. Just much, much more immersive.

I'm pretty excited to see it on stage. I'll probably not buy one anytime soon, but VR needs a big event like this to push it further into the limelight as it gets closer to release.

viveks86

Wait you've already tried PM??? LOL and how was it? :p

I wrote about it here :)

Incidentally, the type of VR stuff I can see the first consumer VR hardware really being good at is stuff like this:

All the media stuff that is going down, like the Samsung teaming up with the NBA or Fox making movies for the rift? I wouldn't doubt that very quickly all that stuff is going to be available on every VR headset. The requirements to playback VR film are very low.

This is very cool! Thanks!

Btw, I do have a Titan X SLI, so I'm not so worried about horsepower as I am about where the tech is and what it's going to take before it goes mainstream. Seems like we are a few years away from that at least, which wasn't my understanding before. Exciting times nonetheless!

Jabba

Banned
I am 33 years old and I feel out of touch with the new videogame industry as we know it today.

This might sound strange, but I have also totally missed the boat on social media and smartphones and I do not care about that at all. This VR stuff was tantalizing when I was a teenager but right now I don't see any benefits other than eye pain.

Anyone else feel like me or am I becoming a "get off my lawn" person?

46 here, funny you shoud say this. I'm the same as far as smartphones/social media. VR, once sorted into a quality experience will be neither of those. I haven't even tried it yet and realise it has vast opportunities on the horizon.

AniHawk

i'm actually pretty excited for what the morpheus section of their press conference will be. i don't know what a super conceptual sony looks like.

but yeah the vita section of the booth was sacrificed so morpheus may live.

bj00rn_

Banned
the immersion and sense of presence you get from good VR will make you not care that the visuals are a bit simpler.

I've seen this theory been passed around at times, and I'm not sure why that is, perhaps it's a misunderstanding stemming from Valve's facebook-textured demo where they made a point about presence. In my opinion it's untrue that simple graphics uniformly always is more edible just because VR adds more immersion. In practice, just like with traditional experiences we have today, minimalism only takes you so far; it fits some (and fits some circumstances) but others not. And I know this from a couple of years of more or less daily VR experience: Details are just as compelling in VR as they are anywhere else.

Theonik

Oh, I'm sure it's a great experience, but I have reservations with a device that's going to cut me off from the outside world. Kids, pets, etc.
Goodbye world. Hello Miku.

Hmm.

What reservations do you have against that, exactly? To me it's not much different than closing my door and being alone to watch a movie or play a game. Just much, much more immersive.
A lot of people don't actually do that.

Arion

I am sure VR will be great but I don't think Sony's morpheus will be the one delivering that greatness. Simply because the PS4 lacks the raw power to deliver anything on the level of what the other VR tech powered by PC can. This is why I am least interested in morpheus but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yes, the reduction in available assets will be a comparable step back compared to what the Note 4 could do on it's own, to what it wound up doing in VR. But given the enormous numbers you are talking about to begin with, that still is going to leave you with a considerable headroom to work with.

I explained in my previous posts how this reduction in headspace manifests in games. The environments are smaller, there is less going on, you won't have games on the scale of what the PS4 or even the PS3 pushed very hard can deliver in terms of scope. What you have to work with will dictate lots of design choices for how you create your game.

But, again, you still have a considerable amount to work with. The thing with VR games is that, ideally, so much of the design is going to be dictated merely by the switch from conventional screen to VR to begin with. You're not going to get sprawling VR games where you walk through an entire city like in GTAV for a variety of reasons, not least of which being we don't know how to produce that kind of game in VR yet. There are so many questions about input and locomotion that haven't been correctly tackled yet that not having enough power under the hood to create such a world in VR in the first place is the least of your worries.

What I've envisioned the first wave of consumer VR being for a long while now are programs that make you feel like you are sitting or standing in a small environment. Sitting at a desk or on a couch or some sort of chair. You aren't really meant to get up and go and walk around. Your ability to physically traverse these VR environments is mainly limited to your ability to stretch your torso and look around, and have your hands tracked as far as they can reach. This is what the hardware available lends itself well enough to do, this is what the early understood VR design practices lend themselves well enough to do, this is generally how a lot of early VR programs are trending.

Now, look at Sony's demos, and you can see how they are building these demos around these limitations. You're in a room in the Heist, you're in a shark tank in the shark demo, you're in a luge, etc. Over on the PC side of things, you have better hardware available and it can let you do just a little bit more - your area is now about 225 square feet with Vive, and you can see devs already starting to build relocatable cockpits and platforms that mimic this area in early vive demos - but the types of games this better hardware will afford will still be limited in many of the same ways. The $1500 PC that Oculus recommends isn't going to be a world beater when it comes to VR.

I may be misreading your post, but if the suggestion is that better processing hardware is the key variable in the spatial extent of these experiences, I think that's very questionable indeed. The causative factor there is the tracking hardware available and an apparent desire on the part of many devs to avoid resorting to an analog stick for locomotion. Sony's demos are not 'small rooms' because of the processing power available.

The draw call budget in a VR game is of course going to be smaller than in a 2D/30fps game - though not linearly smaller with framerate necessarily - but that, and simulation time etc., are not the big limits on the spatial extent of play areas in these games. You can spread your budget, spatially, however you wish...games have created large worlds to play in on budgets much smaller than PS4 or lower end PCs might have to work with in VR. To do a super-duper complex GTA6 or GTA7-esque setup in VR might be another matter, and a desirable target, but that's not necessarily a desirable minimum bar for what a 'large world' VR experience can be.

Sylfurd

I can't see VR being succesful as an optional peripheral on a video game console.

You'll have to pay $500 to play a handful of games, that developers will clumsily adapt for, that won't be compatible with the next gen console in 3 - 4 years, and even the VR headset will surely be deprecated with the arrival of the next gen ...

I think it's a really strange move from Sony to push VR on the PS4 and I hope E3 will not be completly focused on it ...

This is moving very fast, I guess a lot of people working in the tech have a real vision about it.

Does any of the HMD have a see-through feature built into it ? I think it might alleviate some worries if your vision could fade comfortably into the real world at the press of a button. The return of the pause button !

Seanspeed

Banned
I thought the legacy aspect of PC gaming is best thing about VR. The Vive launching with Alien Isolation support on day one was great to hear. That alone is a great reason to pick it up imo. I hope more pc games just patch in compatibility or wtvr.

But yea with consoles the legacy aspect is probably not gonna happen for obvious reasons. I hope it happens a lot with pc otherwise I don't ever see myself bothering with vr. Building new products for vr is nice and all but the greatness in that is probably years away.

well, i really ought to have considered problems with traditional static menus and hud elements that are displayed at the depth of the screen surface, that could be an issue. but i'd imagine the main issue besides that that would stem from playing an old game like dishonored and bioshock, would be clipping, right? (i'd imagine fast movement and screen shaking/head bobbing could cause issues to those with weak stomachs, and there are some older graphical effects that break in a vr or 3d environment, those like hud issues being the type of thing i'm sure mods to some games could mitigate.) i mean my brother has a high end computer, 980 with an i7, and he runs dishonored at 4k at well over a hundred fps.
at any rate, i'm sure there will be a fair number of games from last generation that will see a second life thanks to vr, it'll just take a bit of work from modding communities first, but i'm sure the interest will be there.
Again, you cant just 'patch in' VR support to anything and have it be an enjoyable, playable experience. Nor would developers be likely to go back to yearS old games to do this.

Certain games might work in a halfway respectable manner, but many, many games wont. And modders, well, we already have a couple solutions for 'injecting' VR into these older games. And the results are exactly why I'm saying what I'm saying. Certain things can be ok, cool for the novelty of it, but *most* people do not manage to play an entire game like that. There's only so much you can do before you run into a limitation where it's basically, "Ok, this shit isn't gonna work" or have to rely on people having insane tolerance levels for VR sickness. Just the way many game worlds are modelled just wont look right in VR, for instance. Devs use all sorts of tricks right now that they wouldn't be able to get away with in VR.

VR is for the future, not the past. That might be something of a bummer to some of you, and I'm sorry to burst that bubble, but it's reality. But you've got your entire lifetimes ahead of you to see new VR content and will end up playing things that go well beyond whatever dreams you had of playing some of these X360-era games.

I can't see VR being succesful as an optional peripheral on a video game console.

You'll have to pay $500 to play a handful of games, that developers will clumsily adapt for, that won't be compatible with the next gen console in 3 - 4 years, and even the VR headset will surely be deprecated with the arrival of the next gen ...

I think it's a really strange move from Sony to push VR on the PS4 and I hope E3 will not be completly focused on it ...

Who said PS4 VR costs $500? Sony using PC architecture here so they can have backward compatibility with next console PS5 (and with updated PS5 VR too) easily unlike PS3-PS4. Sony always provided backward compatibility before in PS2 and PS3.

Seanspeed

Banned

It wont be $500. There will be more than a handful of games. No reason to think it will be 'clumsily adapted' stuff, though you can never rule it out in certain cases. And no, it might not be compatible with next-gen, but that's ok because VR in 3-4 years is going to fucking blow the hell away what we have right now that you'll want the latest tech. :)

This is moving very fast, I guess a lot of people working in the tech have a real vision about it.

Does any of the HMD have a see-through feature built into it ? I think it might alleviate some worries if your vision could fade comfortably into the real world at the press of a button. The return of the pause button !
GearVR does. From some sneak renders of the Oculus Rift, it looks like it *might* have one. No sign of it for Morpheus or Vive. Yet.

bj00rn_

Banned
I can't see VR being succesful as an optional peripheral

I understand what you're saying when it comes to a specific HMD on a specific platform.
So I'm not disputing that, I just wanted to add a general comment in a loose context that; VR is already a success. It doesn't need a specific mass market number to prove it. And VR is not really an optional peripheral. I mean, this may sound rhetorical but a conventional display is required for conventional content, and a VR HMD is required for VR, simple as that.

in 3-4 years is going to fucking blow the hell away what we have right now

Absolutely. VR tech is moving faster than pretty much any similar technology in the entertainment industry has done before. If you're someone who are investing all your money into first generation VR with no room for upgrading later, I'd say that you should be very cautious.. Because likely it's going to be leapfrogged already at second and third generation in the first three or four years. If people just knew what is being tested in prototypes right now, they would be stunned. Fresnel lenses, retinal projection systems, plasmonic display..

I remember reading about that video being made. Holy shit. I can't imagine what it would be like to see Bjork full body close up like that. I need to get in on this VR.

A few things remain unclear to me in this thread.

I certainly appreciate the insight from Krejlooc and admit I have little to no understanding of how demanding VR is on hardware. That said, the limitations he discussed don't compute. The prediction that initial experiences will be limited to "small spaces" with little to no traversal makes no sense to me.

I see plenty of YouTube videos of Project CARS for example running on the Rift—and they look amazing. This is all done on current hardware. On some level, I don't understand what makes VR such a massive computational leap over stereoscopic 3D.

We also know that the PS4 is not doing all of the heavy lifting itself; the Morpheus is doing some of the processing. Shouldn't that increase what's available to developers on the PS4 side?

One more thing; Krejlooc made a comparison to how Nintendo developers pulled off visual trickery with Mario Galaxy (space, planetoids, etc.). That's all true—but Mario Galaxy is also one of the best 25 or 50 games of all time. A reduction in processing power means little in the hands of a great developer.

EDIT: This is no means meant as an "attack" on Krejlooc. He makes great points, and I agree that experiences—like experiencing an NBA game at courtside—are going to be hugely important to VR's future. I'm so ready!

Yo viveks86, the PS4, used normally, can push over a billion polygons per second and tens of thousands of draw calls.

When you get into the high end experimental VR stuff, you can see some really crazy stuff - redirected walking, omnidirectional treadmills, games and demos that aim to tackle very ambitious things. But the hardware to do this stuff is astronomical in price (talking stuff like dual Titan X cards in SLI), the conventions in development are very much works in progress and vary in quality, and you're overall hit with a lot more "jank" for lack of better word. When you get into really high end VR - and for the first time average consumers can actually do that if they are willing to drop the money - it honestly feels more like you're entering research and development. Because you really are.

That very high end will not come to the PS4. It will come next generation. That's when we will see these methods refined into forms that are palpitate and "idiot proof." Thats when the cost of hardware will drop enough to let teenagers buy this stuff. That is far off.

Step back from the ledge, what the PS4 can do isn't going to be so hamstrung that it's going to provide you with VR that is undercooked and snake oil.

So all developers going to target very high end PC systems to design and develop their games now? Most of the games we will see wont be around high end PC hardware and it will be based on affordable system specifications so they can sell their games to many people. PS4 is fine for 2-3 years with the hardware power it has and can give comparable visuals with PC for a very cheap price in many games and after 3 years we might see new PS5 and updated VR that can catch up with PC again in terms of visuals along with backward compatibility. For VR to take off we need cheap price which is possible only by PS4 and it can do that using some new experiences created around that (just like what Wii did) to get started and will do big AAA games like open world experiences with PS5 VR slowly by evolving.

big_z

So all developers going to target very high end PC systems to design and develop their games now? Most of the games we will see wont be around high end PC hardware and it will be based on affordable system specifications so they can sell their games to many people. PS4 is fine for 2-3 years with the hardware power it has and can give comparable visuals with PC for a very cheap price in many games and after 3 years we might see new PS5 and updated VR that can catch up with PC again in terms of visuals along with backward compatibility. For VR to take off we need cheap price which is possible only by PS4 and it can do that using some new experiences created around that (just like what Wii did) to get started and will do big AAA games like open world experiences with PS5 VR slowly by evolving.

I think many would argue the wii motion control was a great concept but premature and once the limitations were known it started to sour peoples opinions. If it was closer to what motion plus or the move could do from the start its possible motion controls would still be a big thing.

That's the fear I have with Morpheus. VR needs to impress out of the gate to be something long term and from the requirements set by the competition sonys offering isn't on par.

Still curious to see what they'll be showing but I think having a really strong vr unit for the ps5 would be a better course of action than trying to retro fit vr with weak hardware.

ido

A lot of people don't actually do that.

A lot of people don't play games or watch movies with their doors closed?

I mean, if you're in an apartment by yourself what is the difference between playing a game/watching a movie, or using VR?

I think many would argue the wii motion control was a great concept but premature and once the limitations were known it started to sour peoples opinions. If it was closer to what motion plus or the move could do from the start its possible motion controls would still be a big thing.

That's the fear I have with Morpheus. VR needs to impress out of the gate to be something long term and from the requirements set by the competition sonys offering isn't on par.

Still curious to see what they'll be showing but I think having a really strong vr unit for the ps5 would be a better course of action than trying to retro fit vr with weak hardware.

Now we have many companies trying VR same time and also developers interested in making games for this especially indies, so with good competition we can expect great experiences unlike Wii which was only option at that time without competition and less developers interest other than Nintendo.

Limitations breed creativity. I'm down for simple little games for the first gen of VR. Something like Wii Sports would be enough for me to buy Morpheus.
Don't understand why that's so hard for people to understand. Even so, don't get why people are downplaying hype. Like what? Let ppl get hyped and disappointment after wall for what they want. Kill Joy posters are only on forums it seems.

I paid $250 just to play bobble head tennis and bowling with my family. If Morpheus is fun, I'll get it, period.

I don't think so. After playing Table Tennis with Move, the more accurate motion controlling made it even more tiring. I think people are just lazy mate and motion controls were something new. WM+ or Move being there in the beginning would have been better, still would have died off though because smartphones are even easier and simpler, and cheaper than motion tennis.

EGM1966

So hardware company with new hardware best suited to being individually experienced involved in shocking practice of using a trade show ideally suited to let people individually experience the new hardware to allow as much access to the new hardware as possible?

Makes sense to me if true.

Quasar

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Hopefully it is minimal at the actual conference.

I kind of do to, simply because of how its hard to demo in any way other than people trying it. On tne other it makes me happy to see how much Sony is going for it. if true.

Theonik

A lot of people don't play games or watch movies with their doors closed?

I mean, if you're in an apartment by yourself what is the difference between playing a game/watching a movie, or using VR?
Not much, but many people don't live alone. And they don't like isolating themselves to play games watch movies or whatever or at least want to be aware of what's going on.

Einbroch

Banned
Hmm.

I actually never do that.

We have neighbors popping over to our house almost daily. My fiancé sits on the couch with me and we chat while I game quite a bit. I have two dogs that tend to get into trouble scratching furniture, and they let me know if they need to go potty by sitting at the door. We're also thinking about having a kid in the future.

I just don't like the idea of VR cutting me off. You can, that's totally fine!

ido

I actually never do that.

We have neighbors popping over to our house almost daily. My fiancé sits on the couch with me and we chat while I game quite a bit. I have two dogs that tend to get into trouble scratching furniture, and they let me know if they need to go potty by sitting at the door. We're also thinking about having a kid in the future.

I just don't like the idea of VR cutting me off. You can, that's totally fine!

I'm just trying to understand where you were coming from, since it seems like such a harsh stance to take.

I have a wife, three young kids and handful of animals and it doesn't really seem to be an issue in our household. Did you ever think that it could be a fun experience for your family? I have my Rift setup to where it outputs to a TV beside my PC so that other people in the room can see what's going on. It's actually really fun to take turns trying different experiences and games.

Picture of my setup for reference:
F60w08s.jpg

I guess my point is that maybe it's worth a shot, even if you have reservations about it.

I don't see how showing a VR game at a conference is very different from any other kind of game. Person A introduces person B, person B walks out on stage and talks about their game for a few minutes, then either there's a trailer or a short live demo, then they're done. Even if you think people with VR headsets on look goofy, you're still going to see what that person is seeing up on a screen.

ido

I don't see how showing a VR game at a conference is very different from any other kind of game. Person A introduces person B, person B walks out on stage and talks about their game for a few minutes, then either there's a trailer or a short live demo, then they're done. Even if you think people with VR headsets on looks goofy you're still going to see what that person is seeing up on a screen.

I agree. I do admit, it's much harder to get an idea of what the game would be like in VR if you have never actually experienced VR, but it at least shows you the types of games and experiences you will be able to try soon.

Einbroch

Banned
I guess my point is that maybe it's worth a shot, even if you have reservations about it.

Yeah, but the issue is that I'm not gonna take a shot with $200+ for something I already have reservations about. I'm happy with playing on the TV and all the software shown so far, to be honest, doesn't look appealing. My fiancé also gets motion sickness quite easily and does not game at all, so it'd only be for me.

May that change as time goes on? Sure. I can only make decisions based on what I know now.

UrbanRats

I don't see how showing a VR game at a conference is very different from any other kind of game. Person A introduces person B, person B walks out on stage and talks about their game for a few minutes, then either there's a trailer or a short live demo, then they're done. Even if you think people with VR headsets on look goofy, you're still going to see what that person is seeing up on a screen.

A huge deal of VR is the different sensorial experience, compared to a regular screen.
That shark demo wouldn't have demoed as well, if not for the implications of VR, that people either have tried themselves, or assume are there.

Helznicht

Does anyone feel like Oculus may be the odd one out here, as far as input goes? Both Vive and Morpheus have wands as inputs. Oculus will likely have hand tracking of some sort. Game design between the Vibe and Morph as far as control, will be very similar. Oculus ports of those games will take some re-work most likely. Will they be at a disadvantage even though their solution is arguably more advanced?

A huge deal of VR is the different sensorial experience, compared to a regular screen.
That shark demo wouldn't have demoed as well, if not for the implications of VR, that people either have tried themselves, or assume are there.
I agree you wouldn't be getting the same experience (obviously) but how else are you going to get the word out about your product? Also I would argue watching someone play a regular video game is already very different from playing it yourself. VR is another step removed, but showing the games be played is still worth while.

Bsigg12

Does anyone feel like Oculus may be the odd one out here, as far as input goes? Both Vive and Morpheus have wands as inputs. Oculus will likely have hand tracking of some sort. Game design between the Vibe and Morph as far as control, will be very similar. Oculus ports of those games will take some re-work most likely. Will they be at a disadvantage even though their solution is arguably more advanced?

We'll know in 3 and a half hours.

Top Bottom