• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRFocus: Big Morpheus push at Sony presser, half of their booth devoted to it

This is where I think they will screw up. I think focusing too much on VR will invoke a gamer backlack who want to see more traditional games and less gimmicky ones.

Just keep that shit out of the conference and we're cool Sony. Please, the world doesn't need another Wonderbook-esque exercise in excruciating motion control demonstrations.

Bsigg12

Hopefully they have a way of sanitizing the device after each user. I can't imagine the amount of sweat that will build up from each person.

spekkeh

Banned
I almost bought a GearVR today. Guess I'm better off waiting till E3 at least.

I know Crow serving threads are frowned upon on Gaf but once Morpheus/VR comes out I would love to see a thread dedicated to the sea of negative posts that we have seen on here. I would especially like to see a list of people who go from thinking it’s a fad like 3D TV’s to buying one themselves as im sure there will be many who do.

I cant wait for the VR glory days to start, bring it on!
A fad means there is a period where a lot of people buy it though. The word you're looking for is a dud.

(I have a 3dtv myself, as do many people, doesn't mean it's not a fad)

I'm getting bad flashbacks to Kinect, PS Move, Wonderbook, WiiFit etc.

What they show better be good, hardware addons never have the best of appearences at E3.

PBY

Banned
Are people in here actually using the immersion that comes with VR as a negative?
Geez...

It is a negative to me, and I'm sure other people feel the same. I think the tech is cool. Not sure why that's crazy? I actually, weirdly, am still into hearing impressions and seeing reactions and whatnot. Just doesn't fit my life.

While I am excited to see what they have for the Morpheus I hope they don't spend half the conference talking about what experiences you could have.

VR is best shown when you are using it at a booth, not seeing a person act like an ass on stage using it and seeing what he is seeing on the big screen. There is no effect to that.

Mononoke

Banned
Considering I have very little interest in VR, might catch the highlights of the presser afterwards.

The good thing is that unlike Kinect, this does feel like there is a group of people that want VR badly. So even if it's not for some of you, at least know this isn't like a Story Book thing where no one cares.

While I am excited to see what they have for the Morpheus I hope they don't spend half the conference talking about what experiences you could have.

VR is best shown when you are using it at a booth, not seeing a person act like an ass on stage using it and seeing what he is seeing on the big screen. There is no effect to that.

I mean, apart of VR taking off is selling the public on it. A major company like Sony aggressively promoting it and selling people on what it can be, well that could really help further VR in terms of informing consumers and raising demand. I think the general public is still sort of in the dark of how VR will be sold soon as a product.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
Have you had cautionary experiences? :/
I was more referring to the fact that once you've tried it, watching others will just not feel as entertaining ;)
Regarding physical discomfort - only a tiny fraction of population is immune to the "bad" behaviours in software, from samples of 100+ people I'd seen maybe 5-10% who wouldn't get sick under certain conditions.
The positive impact of of that is that it forces developers to be 'very' careful - and platform holders will be especially picky in first generation of software to avoid market backlash.

Dmonzy

This is where I think they will screw up. I think focusing too much on VR will invoke a gamer backlack who want to see more traditional games and less gimmicky ones.

They're certainly taking a gamble by making it so prominent. Ideally they'd keep most of the Morpheus stuff contained to the booths and the traditional games will still be shown on stage. I have a feeling a significant chunk of their conference will be highlighting VR though.

Bsigg12

The good thing is that unlike Kinect, this does feel like there is a group of people that want VR badly. So even if it's not for some of you, at least know this isn't like a Story Book thing where no one cares,

Well Oculus is having their conference tomorrow so we should get an idea of what some of the launch games will be like on these devices.

amnesiac

Oh yes please. Any Morpheus info is great.

Really hope they announce No Man's Sky and The Witness will be compatible with Morpheus.

Tarin02543

I am 33 years old and I feel out of touch with the new videogame industry as we know it today.

This might sound strange, but I have also totally missed the boat on social media and smartphones and I do not care about that at all. This VR stuff was tantalizing when I was a teenager but right now I don't see any benefits other than eye pain.

Anyone else feel like me or am I becoming a "get off my lawn" person?

SerTapTap

Are people in here actually using the immersion that comes with VR as a negative?
Geez...

The Wii ruined people on innovative ideas. Everything is "waggle" to some people now. Super excited for morpheus.

And I wouldn't panic too much, they're dedicating lots of booth space because they need to actually show people VR with demo stations and shit. I'm sure morpheus will be, and should be, at the conference but this doesn't mean half the conference is morpheus.

I am 33 years old and I feel out of touch with the new videogame industry as we know it today.

This might sound strange, but I have also totally missed the boat on social media and smartphones and I do not care about that at all. This VR stuff was tantalizing when I was a teenager but right now I don't see any benefits other than eye pain.

Anyone else feel like me or am I becoming a "get off my lawn" person?

No offense but why not both? If you don't understand it can be hard to pitch VR, I would say try it when Best Buy/etc inevitably get demo booths, you really need to try it to get it.

Indeed, they could well. And really, I feel that would be a better venue for a real Morpheus blowout rather than E3, since at least that is a public event, and non-industry people can go heads-on with it and write long reports on here. The community would be their best ambassadors for VR.

I feel like E3 will be where they really grab attention for the VR device and PSX will be the event where they hammer it home in preparation for a spring launch.

It's a one-two punch. :)

Tenebrous

As great as VR is and will be in the future, the idea of it being a big focus at the presser is kind of disappointing...

I mean, if they show off God of War, Uncharted, some new IPs, etc, I can appreciate the graphics, the art, the gameplay, etc. With VR demonstrations, I can appreciate fuck all, because they're impossible to demonstrate online.

RulkezX

Geez...

Well not everyone is hiding in their room playing games solo or able to just ignore everyone else in their house for hours on end.

I'm 33, wife, 2 kids and a dog. I own all 3 current gen consoles, a gaming pc, vita and 3DS..... Having to wear a device on my head that shuts me out from stuff going on around me is a huge negative point for me.

Saying that, i just expect Morpheus to suck because the PS4 isn't nearly powerful enough to actually have anything VR related id want to play.

Don't stereotype VR games as "gimmicky" when they do not have to be exclusive to gimmicks...I feel that can be a bit disrespectful to devs working on VR games...

And just because we have information that there is a big VR push at Sonys booth doesn't mean "traditional" games will be absent from the booth or the conference....

EVIL

I wouldn't be surprised if half their booth is dedicated to it, VR takes up space, but I doubt this has any relation to their conference.

Flandy

The good thing is that unlike Kinect, this does feel like there is a group of people that want VR badly. So even if it's not for some of you, at least know this isn't like a Story Book thing where no one cares.

^
Kinect was something Microsoft attempted to shove down our thoats while VR is something that was initially funded by consumers and is now constantly pushed by both the developers of VR and the consumers.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sweet, can't wait for VR to really kick off.

Oh yes please. Any Morpheus info is great.

Really hope they announce No Man's Sky and The Witness will be compatible with Morpheus.

Both of those games have been 30 fps in every video I've seen, although granted that's mostly YouTube videos from before they started supporting 60. I've never heard a single word about the framerate in these games, I think. They need to run at a stable 60 for Morpheus support to be viable.

But yeah, NMS in VR would insta-sell me on this thing.

Skux

Sony knows well enough that VR can't be demonstrated on a stage. So they have plenty of booth space to show it off hands-on.

autoduelist

If VR ever hits it big, it won't be because of Sony. They'll probably price themselves out too.

I think the opposite -- VRs best chance at mainstream success during the next few years is Morpheus. It'll happen eventually, either way, but right now the tech is still relatively expensive. However, the Morpheus has many -mass appeal- things going for it that other VR solutions do not.

1) Plug and play. Morpheus and its games will 'just work'. Plug in the Morpheus, buy a game, and go. No risk of needing to fiddle with your PC getting it to work.

2) Cost effective, especially if you already own a PS4.

3) Word of mouth -- many people have their ps4 in their living room; many people have their gaming pcs set up a bit more 'privately' (den, home office, etc). Consoles have always been a bit more friendly to 'showing off to your friends'. If VR is impressive, it'll sell units.

Now, some people will love it so much they go out and buy high end pcs and the best gear on the market. But most people? PS4 and Morpheus is the cheapest, easiest solution... and the ones their friends have.

Actually, as somebody married and with kids, I'd argue that we probably shouldn't be doing anything video game related for hours straight, period. Strapping on a VR helmet isn't going to be much worse.

I can usually only game at naptime and post-sleep time. So... yeah, that's me. I want to try it, badly, but I doubt I'll be getting one anytime soon. To those saying we probably shouldn't be gaming on tv either, that's sort of the point. Squeezing in some time here or there on the tv or vita when nobody is around is likely far easier than strapping this on. It's just how it is... family trumps gaming.

RK128

VR has a lot of possibilities for not just gaming but for other things as well (interactive films, tools for medical fields, educational purposes, ect), so Sony giving a good 10-20 minutes of their conference to Morpheus is not only a smart decision, but an expected one.

The biggest issue is showing the tech off, as just like Kinect and other such 'gimmicks', you need to experience it to fully see its results, so giving a good amount of its booth to Morpheus is a great move as well.

I wonder if this means we are getting a few games exclusive to the device announced, as Sony would need to be aggressive with its software support for the thing. I can see games like No Mans Sky and others be supported by the tech.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
As great as VR is and will be in the future, the idea of it being a big focus at the presser is kind of disappointing...

I mean, if they show off God of War, Uncharted, some new IPs, etc, I can appreciate the graphics, the art, the gameplay, etc. With VR demonstrations, I can appreciate fuck all, because they're impossible to demonstrate online.

I think it's pretty easy to appreciate when you're seeing a direct interaction, or string of interactions, in a VR experience that would be basically impossible to replicate outside of QTEs in a gamepad controlled game. Kind of demo-scale things, but seeing the fidelity of sword play and dummy interaction in the castle demo, or a player swiping ammo of a table onto the floor to reload a gun more safely in the heist demo. You don't need to have the headset on to appreciate the difference in this kind of interaction vs what you can do when you're pushing a stick and pressing buttons.

The immersion factor is hard to telegraph, and is left to your imagination, but all kinds of other things about what's different in these experiences can be communicated.

PulseONE

Well not everyone is hiding in their room playing games solo or able to just ignore everyone else in their house for hours on end.

I'm 33, wife, 2 kids and a dog. I own all 3 current gen consoles, a gaming pc, vita and 3DS..... Having to wear a device on my head that shuts me out from stuff going on around me is a huge negative point for me.

That's all well and good, it's not for you. But how would you change the device to work then? It was DESIGNED for immersion, so what's wrong with the people who ARE ok with the isolation to be excited for it?

RiverKwai

Virtual reality has been the end-game goal of pretty much all entertainment media since entertainment media was born. Better graphical fidelity. Surround sound. 3D. Color picture. etc. All of these benchmarks in media are trying to more completely immerse you in the experience, to make it easier for you to "believe" what you're seeing is happening right in front of you, and that you are a part of it.

Now, we aren't at "holodeck" yet. But this is the next level in getting there.

Outrun

I will withhold judgement on this news until after the presentation.

I am cautiously optimistic....

But please do not sell us the dream, sell us on the actual software and hardware coming in the next 12 months...

Flandy

Sweet, can't wait for VR to really kick off.

Both of those games have been 30 fps in every video I've seen, although granted that's mostly YouTube videos from before they started supporting 60. I've never heard a single word about the framerate in these games, I think. But yeah, they need to run at a stable 60 for Morpheus support to be viable.

Don't about the other game but No Mans Sky is 60fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcoO7bTV48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhSP82uhY4

If the PS4 is needed for Morpheus to work, then a console price drop would greatly help. You want the total package to be as cheap as possible.

100% agreed. I feel like this is an inevitability.
We've been told since 2013 that the PS4 is designed for price drops.
It's mid-2015 and we still haven't seen one, mostly thanks to the PS4's historic success.

Regardless of what VR is priced at, I can absolutely see Sony using its launch as a good reason to bring down the PS4 price, both for stand-alone and bundle situations.

Top Bottom