• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRFocus: Big Morpheus push at Sony presser, half of their booth devoted to it

Well not everyone is hiding in their room playing games solo or able to just ignore everyone else in their house for hours on end.

I'm 33, wife, 2 kids and a dog. I own all 3 current gen consoles, a gaming pc, vita and 3DS..... Having to wear a device on my head that shuts me out from stuff going on around me is a huge negative point for me.

Saying that, i just expect Morpheus to sick because the PS4 isn't nearly powerful enough to actually have anything VR relayed if want to play.

lol so it's the device's fault.

what did you expect vr to be in the first place? your whole house transforms into another level? come on.

it's so stupid how people complain about vr shutting them off the real world. duh. it's called virtual reality. my goodness. it's like complaining that video games are played in a screen or monitor. no shit sherlock that's why it's called 'video' games.

and it's not like the device isn't going to permit you to take it off or would force you to play for hours. some ridiculousness going on. "oh i can't be shut off for hours" then don't play for hours? it's not like once you're there, your kids can't kick you in the balls.

It really should have its own separate event.

I bet this will happen by the end of next year... VR at its current integration is still too new to support its own event at this time... However, with the number of VR devices in the pipelines, I could see VR hardware and applications being their own event in the near future..

Especially when they are being used outside of gaming, such as for virtual tours, viewing live events, or even for medical and other occupational practices/training...

Duxxy3

This is gonna end up like the playstation move. Cool idea that nobody ends up using because nobody actually owns it.

Sami+

I'm getting bad flashbacks to Kinect, PS Move, Wonderbook, WiiFit etc.

What they show better be good, hardware addons never have the best of appearences at E3.

All I can give here is my personal word/opinion BUT I have tried Kinect, Move, Wii, and Oculus. I played Oculus Dev Kit 1, a little horror game tech demo, on an underpowered laptop that delivered what was probably the worst way to experience VR

and it was still fucking amazing to me and absolutely nothing like those other things, which I never liked. VR is different and incredible.

hodgy100

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Hopefully it is minimal at the actual conference.

This doesn't really fill me with hope for the press conference.
I have absolutely no interest in VR. Fingers crossed it's not that prominent in the actual press conference.

Yeahhh. Almost makes me feel like getting a cliff's notes version of the conference. >_>

Showing off Morpheus a lot/and or talking too much about it at the press conference itself will be lame. Let people experience it for themselves at the booths. That's what it's meant for. I hope they dedicate their time to more meaningful games at the presser.

Yeah... I really hope this isn't the future.

VR is not my idea of fun.

Doh! Hopefully they have a lot more than Morpheus. This isn't great news for the conference.

WVd9jdB.jpg

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Well, I think it's now safe to say that we will probably see GT7 revealed for Morpheus.

Dinda

Not really a fan of that, hope it isn't the focus of the conference. A bit is fine, but not too much of it.

Krejlooc

Banned
I bet this will happen by the end of next year... VR at its current integration is still too new to support its own event at this time... However, with the number of VR devices in the pipelines, I could see VR hardware and applications being their own event in the near future..

Especially when they are being used outside of gaming, such as for virtual tours, viewing live events, or even for medical and other occupational practices/training...

Vr already had several successful conferences each year, including steam dev days, svvr and oculus connect. And oculus has a conference this thursday ahead of e3.

Pejo

Gold Member
This just makes me think about hard it's going to be to effectively market the VR stuff coming soon. Somebody is going to have to be putting display units everywhere if they really want it to catch on. I have done a fair amount of research on VR and even I don't get excited watching someone play it, or watching the video in 2D. I hope somebody is partnering with Best Buy/other chains to get a lot of demo units out in the wild. I really like the idea and want it to catch on.

That said, I still hope they don't spend too much time on it during the conference. 15-25 mins should be the target, hopefully.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's to be expected that Morpheus will take an important part of the conference, this being the last E3 before its launch ( I suppose). At least if Sony consider Morpheus an important part of its Playstation strategy. I'm not really thrilled about the fact that they will present only exclusive third party games, as it would have been nice to see also the VR multiplats, but still I'm interested on how Sony will sell this to the public. How it will manage to sell the VR experience in a conference. It can be either fascinating or hilarious, but surely not boring. I'm looking forward to it.

klaushm

I kinda hope they stick with Morpheus. It's a pretty good name, and a fitting one.
I really like it too.

But they can't. It is called project morpheus. They want to get away with the "project" part, and remaining with morpheus will always confuse people and ressambles the project thing.

It is a good name, but it must change :/

SerTapTap

...are you guys being serious about "give it a different event"? I mean maybe a separate one-time thing like the PS Meeting to launch it, but it's a Playstation product, the Playstation Morpheus exclusively on Playstation 4, of course it's going to be the Playstation conferences.

VR games are games bro

VR games, much like third party games, indie games, first party games I don't personally like, and remasters are not True Games™

Mohonky

I am 33 years old and I feel out of touch with the new videogame industry as we know it today.

This might sound strange, but I have also totally missed the boat on social media and smartphones and I do not care about that at all. This VR stuff was tantalizing when I was a teenager but right now I don't see any benefits other than eye pain.

Anyone else feel like me or am I becoming a "get off my lawn" person?

Nah, I am in the same boat.

When I see tech groupies carrying on about how the latest phones and gadgets spend time linking me in to some social circle of shit with things like twitter feeds and facebook and all this other shit I have no idea whats going on. Never bothered to look into twitter but apparently if you're not getting updates from it every 5 seconds you're a social leper. I don't even understand what the purpose of it is, except for people arguing over trivial he said she said bullshit and numerous people exposing themselves to be assholes.

This VR thing, I dunno. It'll be fun for some games I think but I really don't see it replacing how we currently play games. Further to that though, given that you need to render 2 seperate images, I fail to see the PS4 doing anything without making huge sacrifices to the quality of the image and things happening on screen. I'm expecting it to be pretty basic stuff, or last gen quality at best.

Also the different routes people are going with this, Morpheus for Playstation, great, what about on PC or other consoles? I have to keep 3 or 4 headsets around? Will I be upgrading headsets every other year when sets with better resolution, colour space and contrast levels are made? All seems really up in the air right now.

lol so it's the device's fault.

what did you expect vr to be in the first place? your whole house transforms into another level? come on.

it's so stupid how people complain about vr shutting them off the real world. duh. it's called virtual reality. my goodness. it's like complaining that video games are played in a screen or monitor. no shit sherlock that's why it's called 'video' games.

and it's not like the device isn't going to permit you to take it off or would force you to play for hours. some ridiculousness going on. "oh i can't be shut off for hours" then don't play for hours? it's not like once you're there, your kids can't kick you in the balls.

To me it's not too dissimilar to the concept of "I hope televisions don't succeed because people won't go outside anymore!" from the 1930s.
VR will simply be an entertainment extension; not this bullshit like in that movie Surrogates where everyone lives in VR controlled android bodies or some-such nonsense. :p

Krejlooc

Banned
The game I first spoke about for project morpheus, almost a year before morpheus was even unveiled, will be shown off. Suoer stardust vr.

samwattsVR

Neo Member
am interested to see what the exclusives are for Sony. Will have to wait until perhaps EGX or gamescom to see non-exclusive multi-platform stuff I guess. VR is coming, there's no escape. It's fantastic, the PS4 can handle it fine and once you try a recent headset, you'll be converted. Or not, that's cool too but I can't play games on TV any more as they're too flat and boring for me.

Mononoke

Banned
Well not everyone is hiding in their room playing games solo or able to just ignore everyone else in their house for hours on end.

I'm 33, wife, 2 kids and a dog. I own all 3 current gen consoles, a gaming pc, vita and 3DS..... Having to wear a device on my head that shuts me out from stuff going on around me is a huge negative point for me.

Saying that, i just expect Morpheus to suck because the PS4 isn't nearly powerful enough to actually have anything VR related id want to play.

I mean, I get it's not for everyone. But even in a situation like yours, what is wrong with having time to play a game with VR immersion? You don't need to play everything according to your family/situation. The same you don't have to play kid/party games all the time, you also can use VR from time to time.

It's not like something you have to use constantly. That said, I get that not everyone is right for VR. So it's nice to hear that side of it. Appreciate the reply. Thing is, like I said, I get why some aren't thrilled, because they don't want VR. So naturally, if Sony is going to talk about something they don't care about, then it means them having portions of the Conference that isn't for them.

But I still think unlike gimmicks like Kinect and Story Book, this is really something substantial. It's something a lot of people want, and has the potential to be a major game changer, even if some will stay out of it.

Why are people being so negative? This big push could just mean they'll announce Morpheus support for each of the is new games.

They don't care about VR. Sony will dedicate a large portion (possibly) to something they don't care about. So they are upset that the conference will have sections about things they aren't going to get it. I get why someone would be bummed out about the conference. But I don't get them being angry/upset at Sony over it. I mean, VR really could be huge. The next big thing. Sony SHOULD get out in front of this, and push it hard.

Krejlooc

Banned
Why are people being so negative? This big push could just mean they'll announce Morpheus support for each of the is new games.

Tacked on morpheus support in a bunch of games would be one of the worst things that could happen to vr. Vr isng a rumble pack. You ideally want to design your product with vr in mind from the beginning.

panda-zebra

Banned
Further to that though, given that you need to render 2 seperate images, I fail to see the PS4 doing anything without making huge sacrifices to the quality of the image and things happening on screen. I'm expecting it to be pretty basic stuff, or last gen quality at best.

Hopefully Sony will have an opportunity to reeducate people such as yourself, because your comments there and the reality of how Morpheus works obviously points to there being something of a gulf between the two.

EDIT: had wrong quote, d'oh

Crayon

I'm not going to call anyone out specifically, because I'm sure that some of the naysayers are honestly disinterested in vr. But it's becoming clear that much of this story is beginning to be colored by multiple platform wars. Anyone getting fanboy anxiety over morpheus (hoping it goes down in flames to validate yourself) should check yourselves soon, or you're in for YEARS of unnecessary frustration.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
All the negativity in this thread, holy shit.

On topic: interesting if true. Obviously VR demo stations need considerably more space, so maybe "half of their floor" sounds more than it effectively is. Especially excited to hear about their software lineup

There's this strange resistance to VR among gamers, and hardcore gamers especially. Maybe it's just a vocal minority, but I feel like I read push back in every VR news thread. I honestly would have expected most to welcome it eagerly...

Anyways, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical of VR initially, and that the idea seems a little off-putting at best. Who likes the idea of shutting themselves away in some helmet, while onlookers shake their heads at your new exclusionary form of entertainment? All these concerns and more melt away when you've had a few VR experiences. Then you're like, yeah... this is fun. I think perception will be largely positive over the next few years.

ido

I'm admittedly biased for VR here, but I do find it disheartening when people dismiss it as a fad, or compare it to tech that has failed.

I'm very interested in Morpheus and I'm so glad to see Sony taking VR so seriously for a change. I know their HMZ line wasn't VR at all, but it's nice to see they are dead serious about getting this right this time.

And I do think the PC experience will be better and more robust overall, but for non-enthusiasts who don't have a monster PC rig and do not really feel like dedicating a big space to VR just yet, I think the Morpheus is going to be a really solid purchase. I'm not as worried about the PS4 not being able to handle VR, as I think anything created for it will be optimized perfectly to run smoothly, and made for VR only. Graphics will not be as nice as what you will see on some of the titles for PC, I'm sure, but if you've ever experienced VR then you know graphics are not as important right now as everything else.

I'm not a rocket surgery or a nuclear chef, but I think VR is the future. Not just for gaming, but as an entirely new platform for people to experience shit in.

jaypah

I was going to see how long I could hold out on Morpheus, already owning a DK2, GearVR for S6 and buying a VIVE day one. I would be kidding myself though, they're going to show some quirky exclusive game and I'm going to sling my wallet at the TV I just know it. Hyped for their blowout!

ironcreed

Banned
I am curious to see it in action, but have no desire to own it. I am in no hurry to go shell out hundreds for an add-on that I have to wear on my head. Not how I want to game.

otakukidd

I think it would be best for them to announce that games that are Morpheus compatible at the conference and then have Morpheus setups at the show floor for people to try. Its hard to show something vr, its something that you have to try. I think that is what will hold vr back. the best route for them would be going around and doing events or in store displays.

Ugh, the only issue is how can you convey this to people without the damn thing strapped to their head. The games, and they need to be freaking games not "omg look at this direction" crap, need to be good or this will be a waste of time.

TomShoe

Banned
There's this strange resistance to VR among gamers, and hardcore gamers especially. Maybe it's just a vocal minority, but I feel like I read push back in every VR news thread. I honestly would have expected most to welcome it eagerly...

Most people (like myself) are skeptical because we've seen what's happened the last few times an accessory or gimmick was hailed as 'the future of gaming'.

Kinect, Wii, Virtual Boy, PlayStation Move, the list goes on and on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so many preconceptions that get rolled out in every thread related to VR.

- VR isn't first person only, third person seems to work very well too

- VR isn't necessarily anti-social. You can share experiences in a group with others watching on the TV/monitor

- Previous HMDs such as the HMZ-t series from Sony do not mean their VR headsets will be super expensive. Those had heavy, high quality optics and tiny HD screens. Current VR model is cheapish smartphone screens, cheap lenses and software correction for distortion.

Anyways, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical of VR initially, and that the idea seems a little off-putting at best. Who likes the idea of shutting themselves away in some helmet, while onlookers shake their heads at your new exclusionary form of entertainment? All these concerns and more melt away when you've had a few VR experiences. Then you're like, yeah... this is fun. I think perception will be largely positive over the next few years.

so everyone who is against vr are the "hardcore"?

there are people who just shoot down everything they don't want. i wouldn't call them "hardcore". it's like, "oh i don't want change. i'm a hardcore of this so-and-so game!"

i remember some "hardcore" not wanting the stylus gameplay on the ds. or some other bullcrap. there are just people who see something new and they just go, "eeewww nooo" but after a while after everyone is using it they eventually join and then they move on to shun the next new thing.

vypek

Ugh, the only issue is how can you convey this to people without the damn thing strapped to their head. The games, and they need to be freaking games not "omg look at this direction" crap, need to be good or this will be a waste of time.

Probably from word of mouth or lots of impression articles that stem from the all the people at their booth.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mohonky said:
I'm expecting it to be pretty basic stuff, or last gen quality at best.
"Rendering 2 screens" isn't actually doing "double" of any one thing once optimized properly - and that's before we get creative with various other tricks that can bring the cost down further.
Running at 2x/3x the framerate of average disc-title is where the disparity comes from, as there's no real way around it, but the tradeoffs still don't need to be anything resembling a generation-worth (or worse) of downgrades.

Krejlooc

Banned
The "its a fad" people are a vocal minority who rushes into these topics to say the same thing over and over again. I knew exactly who had posted in this thread and exactly what they said before they even said it.

And as soon as, say, nintendo announces a vr headset, they will be all for it.

Top Bottom