• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** Warning: PS3 Update 3.50 may disable 3rd party USB "controllers" ***

tokkun said:
  • Look exactly like original PS3 controllers
  • Could explode at any moment

Someone should alert the local news.
http://www.funtechtalk.com/sony-psp-battery-explodes/
welll....

“It had been charging for over an hour when it just went off”, said Bob Nixon. He had bought a generic replacement charger from his local Radio Shack after losing his original one on a trip. He was watching TV in his living room and he though he was smelling something burning. While walking around his home checking on the odor he heard the PSP battery Explode.

Ploid 3.0

Just checked my arcade stick. Thought a newer update happened today or whatever, looked for a new update I was already up to speed. This arcade stick that I never use (couldn't get into it) works :(

Atomski

Counterfeit PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers, which are practically identical in appearance to genuine PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers, have been discovered in the market. SCEA advises consumers to be cautious when buying PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers from uncertain sources as the quality, reliability and safety of counterfeit products is uncertain, and in some cases, may be dangerous.

Does Sony normally lie this bad? :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
3rd party controllers could be dangerous? Really?

Does anyone know if this actually does anything about the Jailbreak or are they genuinely worried about peoples safety?

May16

Dangit, there's a kickass controller I want to buy that's like a regular PS3 controller on the sides, but in the middle is a big ol' keyboard. Looks awesome for FFXIV (for me), but I don't know if it's Sony official or not. Hope that's not disabled.

This better not disable my XCM adapter. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to use that god-forsaken dualshock instead of a 360 pad. Absolutely pissed.

Zoe

Silver dualshock still works, digital camera works

That's all that I really care about. I'd check my wireless KBM, but I literally haven't used those in years so I'm sure the battery charges are long gone on them.

MightyKAC

Yeah, if I find out this update disables my 3 in 1 converter then I'm done with updating AND playing fighting games online. :p

Dreams-Visions said:
And generally, I don't like the movements Sony is taking here. Turtling up and potentially hurting their customers along the way.

Oh shit. This could potentially turn my stick into a paperweight as it is rarely used to play on 360.

Hopefully they don't go down that road.

iammeiam

Wario64 said:
They just discovered these now?

I think this is just the first time somebody was able to investigate these and write a report before being killed in the blast.

If only more people realized that the official Sony license is the only thing capable of allowing controllers to harness the power of the PS3 without combusting.

tokkun said:
  • Look exactly like original PS3 controllers
  • Could explode at any moment

Someone should alert the local news.

250px-Normal_oth624_278.jpg

Ploid 3.0

LovingSteam said:
Has there been a system that removes features as time goes on?

There has never been a system this open before, and a system with so many features. A ton of features were also added after launch.

How many things did they take away anyway? BC in newer consoles, otherOS, 2 usb ports in newer consoles.

Vamphuntr

So... when someone is going to find a hack for the PS3 using a PSP, are they gonna disable your PSP's access to you PS3? PSP interacting with a PS3 has been found to be potentially dangerous by SCEA.

spwolf

Vamphuntr said:
So... when someone is going to find a hack for the PS3 using a PSP, are they gonna disable your PSP's access to you PS3? PSP interacting with a PS3 has been found by to be potentially dangerous by SCEA.

yep, "we all know thats gonna happen" anyway.

woodypop

dallow_bg said:
Only a few PS2-PS3 controller adapters have stopped working after the update.

Not all of them, and I haven't seen anyone claim another kind of USB device has been "disabled", unless someone has seen otherwise.
Does that include the Pelican PS2-PS3 adapter? If so, I will be pissed.

-PXG-

LongDongJunon said:
Whoa Whoa Whoa are Sega USB Controllers still compatible?

If they disabled my Saturn controllers I SWEAR TO GOD...

Holy shit this.

Too drunk/ lazy to go upstairs and test mine. Someone be a chap and do it for GAF please.

Ploid 3.0

People are hacking the system, they are defending. Devs are glad that they are not allowing a psp situation without a fight. Blame the hackers.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
LongDongJunon said:
Whoa Whoa Whoa are Sega USB Controllers still compatible?

If they disabled my Saturn controllers I SWEAR TO GOD...

Came to post this.

Dizzy-4U

LongDongJunon said:
Jesus Christ my radio shack PSX to USB adapter may be useless now too.
I have a few generic PS1/N64 X USB adapters and a FS3 Arcade Stick. I'm updating right now. Will report back.

notworksafe

The Faceless Master said:
Would this have happened if Sony didn't code it to happen? definitely not.
Is the hack based on Sony's code? Hm, didn't know that. I figured it was exploiting a security hole, like most hacks/jailbreaks.

Atomski

Ploid 3.0 said:
People are hacking the system, they are defending. Devs are glad that they are not allowing a psp situation without a fight. Blame the hackers.

Hackers will always find a work around. All Sony is doing at this point is lying and punishing its loyal costumers.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Oh god, they're covering their ass in case USB peripherals stop working. They can't QVL every damn third party controller out there.

notworksafe said:
Is the hack based on Sony's code? Hm, didn't know that. I figured it was exploiting a security hole, like most hacks/jailbreaks.

No it isn't using Sony code at all. It is a reverse engineered USB repair stick. It isn't exactly a security hole, when Sony designed the PS3 around it.

Don't forget many serious hackers, such as marcan, only got into PS3 hacking after Sony removed OtherOS.

Dead Man

I think there is plenty of blame to go around for feature shrink. Hackers may have contributed to Sony's paranoia, but taking away shit people have paid for is not the correct response.

udivision said:
Why would you buy a third party controller anyway? You're not a pirate, perchance. Are you?
Well played! :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Chrange said:
I better update my firmware quick to protect my family from these roving packs of exploding controllers!

Is it possible that these are Terrorist controllers? I'm starting to get a little freaked out.

notworksafe

Dragona Akehi said:
No it isn't using Sony code at all. It is a reverse engineered USB repair stick. It isn't exactly a security hole, when Sony designed the PS3 around it.

Don't forget many serious hackers, such as marcan, only got into PS3 hacking after Sony removed OtherOS.
I see. And yeah...Sony should have known better than to piss of Linux people. :lol As long as my MadCatz SF4 stick works and my games play properly I won't mind Sony and Linux people battling it out to the death.

Ploid 3.0 said:
You know, if a police officer fires into a crowd in an attempt to take down a suspect, the public are probably not going to look favourably on the officer, even if they should totally blame the guy he was after.

Ploid 3.0

Dragona Akehi said:
Tell us how you really feel.

I'm just an observer. This hack back and forward is a interesting read. I wasn't here for the psp stuff and it's a handheld so I probably would have looked over it. It's like watching a battle.

Edit: One thing's for sure, the next Playstation (Handheld and console) will most likely be closed. No Ken, and all these situations. When PS4 is out PS3 will be as open as a zebra in the middle of a pack of lions. Guts and blood all over the place.

Top Bottom