• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** Warning: PS3 Update 3.50 may disable 3rd party USB "controllers" ***

Atomski said:
Make the patch sound dramatic. Make you scared that you may own one of these explosive controllers. I am just saying if someone bought a controller and it blew up or whatever it would have been all over gaming websites. The fact we hear about it first from Sony makes me call bullshit.

This is just common CYA for every corporation. There was even a firmware update for my point and shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix ZS3) that disabled third party batteries that were on the market for it. The patch notes said it was a safety measure due to third party batteries not necessarily being made up to recognized safety standards and improperly made L-Ion batteries can and have most certainly caught on fire/exploded in the past. Will that stop me from paying 10 times less for a third party battery (I never did install that update) if the one I've got dies? Absolutely not.

It's not to say that third party controllers WILL explode, but just due to the fact that they have no control over the fly by night shady characters producing the knockoffs and the fact that they are being produced obviously to a budget to undercut the official controllers while still making a profit means that perhaps the risk is real, though probably very small.

Next update disables hardware bought used since Sony can't determine whether or not its been modified in any way that could possibly damage the PS3 or, even worse, the user.

Edit: They're only compounding the need for a customer firmware. Oh, also, Sony I need you to disable video output with the reasoning that I may have a seizure at any moment.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Atomski said:
Make the patch sound dramatic. Make you scared that you may own one of these explosive controllers. I am just saying if someone bought a controller and it blew up or whatever it would have been all over gaming websites. The fact we hear about it first from Sony makes me call bullshit.

So you really think there are people out there that are thinking "well, I'm not gonna up...oh shit, exploding controllers? I better update before my controller explodes in my face"? And that Sony sent out a fraudulent press release to get these people to update? Give me a break.

This part of the patch is almost certainly more about the USB hack than the controller, but the controller(s) exist.

Ploid 3.0

grap3fruitman said:
Next update disables hardware bought used since Sony can't determine whether or not its been modified in any way that could possibly damage the PS3 or, even worse, the user.

Sony don't sell unchecked used consoles.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Can't see what all the rage in here is for.
They did this in a previous FW a while ago and loads of those eBay and DealExtreme clone controllers stop working.
They have done the same again as the previous block on unlicensed, clone controllers has been circumvented.

Ploid 3.0

The Faceless Master said:
DealExtreme is probably upset.

The case is also an exact copy. Can barely tell the casing is different in quality, and the actual controller dont have SONY above start and select.
sku_23767_1.jpg

Evlar

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Does anyone know where I can get exploding PS3 controllers

I am planning the best fourth of july
God can you imagine the havoc Kojima would cause with an exploding controller feature...
"Oh shit Snake stepped on C4!" :kabooom:

Ploid 3.0

grap3fruitman said:
Sony doesn't sell used console period and I was referring to accessories anyway.

I didn't say, "Sony don't sell used consoles" to cover my butt in case you said "what about referbs they give people when they send in their console with $100!!! Huh huh?!"

Noshino

navanman said:
They did this in a previous FW a while ago and loads of those eBay and DealExtreme clone controllers stop working.
They have done the same again as the previous block on unlicensed, clone controllers has been circumvented.

Custom firmware users, some of them tend to be paranoid about the off chance of the manufacturer actually disabling their devices :lol

Brofist

Zoe said:
Silver dualshock still works, digital camera works

That's all that I really care about. I'd check my wireless KBM, but I literally haven't used those in years so I'm sure the battery charges are long gone on them.
:lol Why wouldn't your silver DS work, they're gonna start blocking certain colors?

The PS3 is able to do less and less of "everything" with each firmware update. Pretty soon there will be an update that kills your children and pets, preventing you from caring for and playing with them.

Ploid 3.0

navanman said:

Wow that guy paid $50 ouch. He really got tricked out of getting a real white ds3. Since it didn't work Gamemaster couldn't rip more people off.

Edit"
Youtube comment said:
hey its me i have recived my controller and it is fake, tried playin cod analougue sticks are too stiff so you cant aim smoothly and also when u sprint on cod u push and hold l3 but with the fake one u cant press L3 when pushing it foward, also i have to hold circle lil harder for it to work, and hold R1 harder. is there anyway i can loosen my analogue sticks ad get r1 and cirle to work better?

And this is why controllers need to be checked first. The thing is a fake sony controller, and it's horrible. Can't sprint while moving lol.

Noshino said:
Custom firmware users, some of them tend to be paranoid about the off chance of the manufacturer actually disabling their devices :lol
That doesn't make sense. CFW users aren't updating their firmware, so why would they be paranoid about a new update disabling things?

If it wasn't discussed before, it's because sensible people didn't give a fuck about the PS3 before it was at a reasonable price.

Evlar

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
That doesn't make sense. CFW users aren't updating their firmware, so why would they be paranoid about a new update disabling things?

If it wasn't discussed before, it's because sensible people didn't give a fuck about the PS3 before it was at a reasonable price.
Are these sensible people the same ones running around like chicken littles here?

Ploid 3.0

Chicken Little, as in the sky is falling after being hit in the head with an acorn. Nothing to worry about but they think it is. This probably actually only target imitation controllers and not legit devices.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Scalpel Knight said:
The PS3 is able to do less and less of "everything" with each firmware update. Pretty soon there will be an update that kills your children and pets, preventing you from caring for and playing with them.

so you're saying that they wanted you to use unlicensed PS controllers before?

Title is still completely misleading. Since when does counterfeit = third party? I came in expecting total madness but the headline was a lie...

Evlar

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
You calling Dragona chicken?
I haven't even read Dragona's post(s) in here. But if she was making a big deal over Sony's obvious "squash the ripoffs" patch, then yes. I guess I did.

(Why would that matter?)

-PXG-

denomes said:
Fret not friends, Saturn USB pads still work. I just played some Scott Pilgrim and it was groovy.
Oh, you're that Free Jack dude. Thanks for letting us know. Crisis averted.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Chicken Little, as in the sky is falling after being hit in the head with an acorn. Nothing to worry about but they think it is. This probably actually only target imitation controllers and not legit devices.
Are you saying Dragona is nuts?

a1m

Banned
Haha, that's the spirit. Don't care, doesn't affect me at all. Hopefully this makes it more difficult to run your pirate-usbs.

Evlar said:
I haven't even read Dragona's post(s) in here. But if she was making a big deal over Sony's obvious "squash the ripoffs" patch, then yes. I guess I did.

(Why would that matter?)
Are you saying that Dragona is a monster that eats children and doesn't pay her taxes and artificially inflates the sales of Justin Bieber albums through a conspiracy involving Burger King and the Campbell's Soup company?

Evlar

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Are you saying that Dragona is a monster that eats children and doesn't pay her taxes and artificially inflates the sales of Justin Bieber albums through a conspiracy involving Burger King and the Campbell's Soup company?
Yes. I am a peerless master of innuendo.

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:

she is an Bieberer? wow.

kitch9

Banned
Just a thought...... If this update was just to kill Groove, uhmmmmm I thought they had with 3.42 and they didn't advertise anything but "security fixes" with that. They made no mention of USB whatsits.....

Maybe there are, you know, breaking compatibility with certain controllers made by a dodgy chinese company...... Why would they even mention anything if they were just closing the door on a security loop-hole?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
navanman said:
But how can it not be a conspiracy of some kind?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, it sold only like a 100 or so units before it hit the $300 mark, and a few more before the guy above brought this point up right now.

The reason noone here noticed that before is probably because very few people here, sensible or otherwise, are buying some counterfeit knockoffs in place of a real thing.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Awww maaaaaaan....

Every week, the choice between playing Singstar and giving up my rights as a consumer gets worse and worse.
That's not much of a choice. Given those two choices, keep the firmware the same and don't update. :lol

Diablos

My Logitech wireless controller better fucking work. >:| Pretty sure it's licensed.

tokkun said:
  • Look exactly like original PS3 controllers
  • Could explode at any moment

Someone should alert the local news.
Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo husbands too cause Sony rapin' errbody out there. ;)

Progmetal

I almost bought this cheap PS3 controller on ebay, but luckily i saw that the desription said "Generic". Definately not an original controller. Could almost had fooled me though.

!B0Nkji!EGk~$(KGrHqEOKikE)RFWBYUqBMZW9zlvj!~~0_12.JPG

Thread title is misleading though.

Megadragon15 said:
That's not much of a choice. Given those two choices, keep the firmware the same and don't update. :lol
You don't understand.

I friggin' LOVE Singstar.

How far have the PSGroove people gotten? Can I live off their custom firmware?

Lord Error said:
Yeah, it sold only like a 100 or so units before it hit the $300 mark, and a few more before the guy above brought this point up right now.

The reason noone here noticed that before is probably because very few people here, sensible or otherwise, are buying some counterfeit knockoffs in place of a real thing.
Come on, Lord Error, you're too smart to be sticking your hand in the honey jar. I'll let you go, just this once.

Ploid 3.0

I bought a knock-off usb saturn pad from ebay. I wasted a lot on that controller. Just as I got comfortable using it the dpad breaks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Segata Sanshiro said:
Come on, Lord Error, you're too smart to be sticking your hand in the honey jar. I'll let you go, just this once.
To my defense, it's becoming impossible to figure out who's joking and who's being serious in this thread anymore. Sony's exploding controller quote is not helping the matters.

Dreams-Visions said:
. . .cheap PCB's that emulate PS2/PS3 controllers for dual-console compatibility. Chuthulu, for example.
Thing is Cthulhu is code ripped from a licensed product. I'm fairly sure cthulhu is safe. Unless Sony goes balls out and does it anyway.

user_nat said:
So.. anything known to not work yet? Seems like a non issue ATM.
Atomski said:
I am pretty sure at this point the whole dangerous controller stuff was a complete lie.
I second this. SRK would have had reports from users by now.

It would be crazy if Cthulhu stopped working. Man that would be insane! :lol World war 3 proportions.

Caj814 said:
Wouldn't this promote jailbreaking to those affected?

"Jailbreak to avoid counter jail break measures!"
kind of like when Sony shipped some PS1 games with 'anti-mod' technology, which stopped real store bought games from being run on a modded system... but the pirated versions had the anti-mod checks removed, so the only way to play the games was to pirate them?

Top Bottom