• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** Warning: PS3 Update 3.50 may disable 3rd party USB "controllers" ***

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
tokkun said:
  • Look exactly like original PS3 controllers
  • Could explode at any moment

Someone should alert the local news.

It either needs to give your child's info to pedophiles or rape your kids on its own to gain the local news treatment.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
metareferential said:
Yeah, I can't wait to get GT5, ready my Fanatec Wheel and find out it doesn't work anymore :lol
The third party controllers I use are my Fanatec wheel, PS2->PS3 converter for my Hori RAP2, and my SF4 TE stick. If any of them get affected there will be hell to pay.

Can you imagine the reaction from the fighting game community if most of their sticks go kaput, especially with how often the PS3 is used for tourneys? :lol

notworksafe said:
Is the hack based on Sony's code? Hm, didn't know that. I figured it was exploiting a security hole, like most hacks/jailbreaks.
what are you talking about with hacks?

Sony codes the firmware updates, therefore, Sony coded whatever disabled some USB controllers, therefore if Sony didn't code the code that disabled the controllers, they wouldn't be disabled.

Treo360

Dai101 said:
The next SKU will run only in bateries
NOOOOooooo. Have you forgotten about the Pandora Battery?

Sony to build a receiver that pulls electrically charged particles from the air to power the next revision, confirmed.

Baha

Has anybody compiled a list of what still works and what doesn't yet? I see there are people here chiming in about their fears but very little in what actually doesn't work anymore. The only 3rd party controller I have lying around is dead and I don't have any working ps2 controllers lying around to test my ps2 to usb adapter with.

SapientWolf said:
That's actually kind of hilarious.

When Sony announced they were killing off OtherOS I heard linux whisper "OH NO YOU DIDN'T" over the tubes of the interwebs and knew that serious attempts at hacking were going to be put underway. I know people like marcan were quite happy with the 'gimped' version of OtherOS for homebrew and development purposes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Big Ass Ramp said:
It either needs to give your child's info to pedophiles or rape your kids on its own to gain the local news treatment.

Sounds like Playstation Home is halfway there.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dragona Akehi said:
No it isn't using Sony code at all. It is a reverse engineered USB repair stick. It isn't exactly a security hole, when Sony designed the PS3 around it.

Don't forget many serious hackers, such as marcan, only got into PS3 hacking after Sony removed OtherOS.
It's just the homebrew apps that use Sony's SDK to compile or something right?

XiaNaphryz said:
The third party controllers I use are my Fanatec wheel, PS2->PS3 converter for my Hori RAP2, and my SF4 TE stick. If any of them get affected there will be hell to pay.

Can you imagine the reaction from the fighting game community if most of their sticks go kaput, especially with how often the PS3 is used for tourneys? :lol
with the slim out, now is the perfect time to move tournaments to 360. MS should get in contact with the EVO staff ASAP and put out a press release...

dallow_bg said:
It's just the homebrew apps that use Sony's SDK to compile or something right?

Yes, so far, although an open SDK has had some serious work being done on it and should be ready for people to use soon.

XiaNaphryz said:

I can imagine GT5's dayone, if all those fancy G25/27 end up being useless.

But I'm sure we're all pointlessly getting worried.

At least I hope it. xD

notworksafe

The Faceless Master said:
what are you talking about with hacks?

Sony codes the firmware updates, therefore, Sony coded whatever disabled some USB controllers, therefore if Sony didn't code the code that disabled the controllers, they wouldn't be disabled.
My point is that this probably has very little do with controllers and is most likely made to disable the PS3 USB hack doodad, but Sony obviously doesn't want to advertise that such a thing exists to the plebes.

Ploid 3.0

Baha said:
Has anybody compiled a list of what still works and what doesn't yet? I see there are people here chiming in about their fears but very little in what actually doesn't work anymore. The only 3rd party controller I have lying around is dead and I don't have any working ps2 controllers lying around to test my ps2 to usb adapter with.

Yes if you have something that no longer works mention it in this thread. My Hori Fight Stick 3 works, it'll be best to list what doesn't work though.

Also I highly doubt that things like Madcatz sticks won't work anymore. That would be awesome to watch though. The fire I mean.

Noshino

Dragona Akehi said:
You really think that's what they're doing here?

You already give the benefit of the doubt to the hacking/homebrew community when it comes to their intentions, why not do the same for Sony? :p

Dreams-Visions said:
And generally, I don't like the movements Sony is taking here. Turtling up and potentially hurting their customers along the way.

And Sony nor PS3 developers like what is going on either, as it also "potentially" hurts them.

There is a lot of "potential" harm from either side :lol

XiaNaphryz

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yes if you have something that no longer works mention it in this thread. My Hori Fight Stick 3 works, it'll be best to list what doesn't work though.

Also I highly doubt that things like Madcatz sticks won't work anymore. That would be awesome to watch though. The fire I mean.
The SRK community would burn Sony to the ground.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Noshino said:
You already give the benefit of the doubt to the hacking/homebrew community when it comes to their intentions, why not do the same for Sony? :p
Sony broke the truce. Has anyone ever noticed that the Linux box never gets hacked?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Madcatz sticks are licensed controllers, so I assume they would work. They're not gonna disable licensed controllers. That would be a mistake of biblical proportions.

Noshino said:
And Sony nor PS3 developers like what is going on either, as it also "potentially" hurts them.

There is a lot of "potential" harm from either side :lol
Yes, but only one of those sides is going to be asking the other side for some money anytime soon.

railGUN

Banned
Sony, in the ensuing lawsuit, will say their EULA covers this, and because some guys on an internet forum "said they didn't even know you could use USB controllers lol"

Ploid 3.0

For some reason I'm starting to imagine Sony and Homebrew as nations in Civilization IV. Been playing too much of that lately. Homebrew destroyed a city, Sony launched it's ICBMs.

well my custom arcade stick made with a cheap PC gamepad works, so I guess Im cool :lol Its the only thing I connect to my ps3

EDIT: and all my 6 USB sticks works too, also didnt know the PS3 read AVI format :lol

XiaNaphryz

Pandemic said:
I guess it's good to see Sony protecting the console from hackers....
You have only 15 posts before that post since 9/9/9, and you decide to comment on this, not following what people have already responded to on similar comments earlier in the thread? :lol

Ploid 3.0

Is anything other than said PS3 controller look alike actually not working now? Maybe they really did only touch those shady cheap imitation controllers.

so in every future FW update thread there will be testing to see if controllers/sticks got disabled.

ah there's nothing quite like instilling a bit of panic in your customers.

Atomski

user_nat said:
So.. anything known to not work yet? Seems like a non issue ATM.

I am pretty sure at this point the whole dangerous controller stuff was a complete lie. They probably did not block any controllers. Neogaf would have caught word of dangerous controllers before this patch. It would have been all over gaming news sites. Sony is clearly lying to cover up its war against hackers.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Atomski said:
I am pretty sure at this point the whole dangerous controller stuff was a complete lie. They probably did not block any controllers. Neogaf would have caught word of dangerous controllers before this patch. It would have been all over gaming news sites. Sony is clearly lying to cover up its war against hackers.

If there was no such controller then why would they mention it at all?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
udivision
Awarded the Segata Sanshiro Cross for posting beyond the call of duty.
(Today, 09:07 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol That's a thing of beauty there.

Noshino

Atomski said:

unless you actually know that this FW doesnt block any controller you can't really called them out on it. Its the same argument used by the hacking/homebrew comunity when they get called out :lol

Atomski

Lost Fragment said:

Make the patch sound dramatic. Make you scared that you may own one of these explosive controllers. I am just saying if someone bought a controller and it blew up or whatever it would have been all over gaming websites. The fact we hear about it first from Sony makes me call bullshit.

Ploid 3.0

Lost Fragment said:

The controller exists, and I'm sure they said it's possibly dangerous because they didn't certify it. Just like patches, they make sure the patch won't disrupt the PS3 or allow holes. Dangerous is worst case scenario, also covers their butts if such a controller exists in the future (you didn't use cert controllers, now your system is dead).

- PS2 support discontinued
- Other OS Removed
- Leap year PS3 use removed
- Cinavia Added (read: video support removed)
- 3rd party controller support removed (? - How can they even tell...)

What am I missing here...

Evlar

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
They are pre-empting someone from getting the bright idea of making a controller that mimics features of the USB tool.

Wii has a very similar warning with each patch, for what it's worth. It's a little clearer that it's targeted at "unauthorized" third party devices, but I'm sure the legal considerations are similar.

Top Bottom