• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** Warning: PS3 Update 3.50 may disable 3rd party USB "controllers" ***

Foxix Von

Angst said:
Yay! :lol :lol

it's been there since launch

thats_the_joke.jpg

Dai101 said:

Haha, that's awesome.

But seriously, with 2 Guitar Hero guitars, the Camera for Move, and a G27 soon to join my ranks of USB connected devices ... I was hoping to get a USB Hub for them all.

Will this affect USB Hubs? I doubt it but I'm not too hip on what this patch is trying to accomplish so thought I'd ask.

EDIT:

The Faceless Master said:
it's just some controllers and controller adapters

I guess this kind of answers my question ... thank god I won't have to juggle USB cords and will just hide them in the back with a hub.

Baha

Posting this here in hopes of creating a more comprehensive list in the midst of all the doom and gloom:

So far I have found the following have been disabled:

the YOBO ps2 > PS3 adapter
XCM adapter for unofficial 360 pad support (the unofficial part makes that one obvious I guess)
Various generic controllers/ps2 > ps3 adapters

The Fragnstein line of controllers were disabled by the update but the manufacturer has posted a fix for v2+ controllers on their site here. They can't update the v1 controllers since those were prototypes but they are offering an upgrade option to the v2 controllers at a discounted price.

Has anybody found any other legitimate disabled devices yet?

Baha said:
Posting this here in hopes of creating a more comprehensive list in the midst of all the doom and gloom:
So far I have found the following have been disabled:

the YOBO ps2 > PS3 adapter
XCM adapter for unofficial 360 pad support (the unofficial part makes that one obvious I guess)Various generic controllers/ps2 > ps3 adapters

The Fragnstein line of controllers were disabled by the update but the manufacturer has posted a fix for v2+ controllers on their site here. They can't update the v1 controllers since those were prototypes but they are offering an upgrade option to the v2 controllers at a discounted price.

Has anybody found any other legitimate disabled devices yet?

Well fuck me, I guess I wont be turning on my PS3 anytime soon (though to be fair I havent used it since March anyway). That dualshock is just useless compared to a 360 pad. Now I need to find a suitable replacement.

EDIT: That controller doesnt look too bad. The triggers don't look great, but still better than the dualshocks, and the size looks almost the same as a 360 pad. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just wait a little while to see if this one has lost compatability as well before purchasing.

dunno if related but after i updated my fw, my external WD 500gb hdd caused my ps3 to crash twice, when i was just trying to open a movie file. after the second crash my ps3 locked completely, nothing worked but pulling the plug. and this hdd has been working fine for a year, still works fine on my pc.

seriously annoying. i have no idea why an external hdd would make a ps3 freeze like that..

Ok, if some XCM still work I guess I might as well update and find out. Will report back once done.

EDIT: Alright folks, false alarm. The "XCM cross battle adapter plus" still works fine, my 360 pad is safe for now. Crisis averted.

gcubed

The Faceless Master said:
more people use 3rd party controllers, shady cheap ds3's off ebay, arcade sticks, keyboard/mouse adapters, wheels and ps2 converters for controllers, arcade sticks, instruments and ddr pads than OtherOS.

some people only care when it potentially affects them.

that only works if those same people are illiterate, or your hyperbole is through the roof

MoxManiac

Couldn't this fuck over owners of some custom arcade sticks? I'm not even talking about adapters, I imagine this will lock out some pcbs. It also might mean that PS3 won't be as open about generic USB controllers (love my USB saturn pad)

MrPliskin

Banned
Are we sure that this is the product of hacking/homebrew, and not simply Sony wanting to limit the options for 3rd party controllers and converters in order to try to turn a better profit selling their highly prices accessories?

Rich!

MrPliskin said:
Are we sure that this is the product of hacking/homebrew, and not simply Sony wanting to limit the options for 3rd party controllers and converters in order to try to turn a better profit selling their highly prices accessories?

Because the timing is too coincidential to be anything other than blocking homebrew.

Zoe

richisawesome said:
Because the timing is too coincidential to be anything other than blocking homebrew.

But as someone pointed out earlier, they did the exact same thing one year ago within the same time frame.

gcubed said:
that only works if those same people are illiterate, or your hyperbole is through the roof
nah, did you read the OtherOS threads? many people not only said they didn't care because they didn't use it, but they also questioned people that used it about them actually using it.

PetriP-TNT said:
Another thing that will not have any effect on me or to anyone I know

Ah, so as long as you are not personally affected by the removal of a specific feature, its all good then? At this point its only a matter of time before something is removed that you actually use and what will be your stance then? I genuinely hope one of your favourite features of the PS3 is removed, at least then you might wake up and stop enjoying taking it up the ass like the good little consumer whore, you are.

brain_stew said:
I genuinely hope one of your favourite features of the PS3 is removed, at least then you might wake up and stop enjoying taking it up the ass like the good little consumer whore, you are.

Well I guess I will be super pissed when the ability of playing videogames gets taken out, so you got me there.

Come on, this removes SOME 3rd party controllers, not EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM (ala Xbox360). The list is most likely like 10 lines long, starting with PSJailbreak and ending with genericPSJailbreakclone.

C-Jo

MoxManiac said:
Couldn't this fuck over owners of some custom arcade sticks? I'm not even talking about adapters, I imagine this will lock out some pcbs. It also might mean that PS3 won't be as open about generic USB controllers (love my USB saturn pad)
I'm gonna fucking LOSE it if that's the case.

Atomski said:
Does Sony normally lie this bad? :lol

The early PS3 devkit manual says that if improperly handled the machine could, I'm quoting here, "... result in fire, electric shock, or other hazards."

What "other hazards" could be, I have no idea, but I suppose explosions could be it.

LyR

Banned
all the last 3 updates did was removing features (and adding uninteresting ones, useless for 98% of their userbase)

wow ...

spwolf

brain_stew said:
Ah, so as long as you are not personally affected by the removal of a specific feature, its all good then? At this point its only a matter of time before something is removed that you actually use and what will be your stance then? I genuinely hope one of your favourite features of the PS3 is removed, at least then you might wake up and stop enjoying taking it up the ass like the good little consumer whore, you are.

over react much? they removed few unofficial controllers... whats the big deal here? They are certainly within their right to do so, they lose money on hardware to make it on software and accessories.... in fact, i could honestly say that Sony has been my little bitch so far.

Ex:2

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Hold the rage , I found this on the shoryuken forums

I tested these myself:

- REAL converters no longer work (tried both of mines).
- USB Saturn pads still work.
- that bum ass Radio Shack converter still works.

Anyone know if the HRAP3 SA still works? Haven't got the chance to test it out yet.

Thread here
http://shoryuken.com/f177/sony-disa...dapters-ps3-firmware-3-5-a-252071/index2.html
Syril said:
Man, and I just managed to get my PS2 controllers working via this thing:

controller29um.jpg

Can anyone who has this confirm whether or not it works?

I used to use this thing I got from Radio Shack to play Tekken DR and super puzzle figther 2 before the DS3 came out.

I haven't used in a while, but it's not working at all for me now.

spwolf said:
over react much? they removed few unofficial controllers... whats the big deal here? They are certainly within their right to do so, they lose money on hardware to make it on software and accessories.... in fact, i could honestly say that Sony has been my little bitch so far.
spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're doing something very wrong.
(Today, 04:56 PM)
Reply | Quote

Well I'm in the clear.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't remember what my PS2->PS3 adapter was called...might be the inPin Play Converter one? It has lights on the front and a little home button on the side.

Did that one get busted as well? I don't want to buy another stick, I like my Hori RAP2 just fine. :(

Ploid 3.0

spwolf said:

Do we even know if they did it on purpose? It seems like they did something with usb but since they can't tell if it will effect unlicensed hardware they are just letting people know that it just might. Since it's not licensed how would sony know how to prevent it from not working.

xero273

XiaNaphryz said:
I don't remember what my PS2->PS3 adapter was called...might be the inPin Play Converter one? It has lights on the front and a little home button on the side.

Did that one get busted as well? I don't want to buy another stick, I like my Hori RAP2 just fine. :(

inPin works.

spwolf

Ploid 3.0 said:
Do we even know if they did it on purpose? It seems like they did something with usb but since they can't tell if it will effect unlicensed hardware they are just letting people know that it just might. Since it's not licensed how would sony know how to prevent it from not working.

they issued PR how they will cut off unlicensed copies of official controllers.... they did the same thing last year. then people go beserk and hope their usb drives and their G25's still work... heh.

Noshino

LyR said:
all the last 3 updates did was removing features (and adding uninteresting ones, useless for 98% of their userbase)

wow ...

Just like OtherOS then.... :lol

red shoe paul said:
So does this mean no controllers that have dongles? :lol
Sony is trying too hard and it's looking very sad for them.

Uh maybe, but for me the sad looking are the PSGroove supporting posters who seem to be more upset over this, and it doesn't really make sense since they are the ones not even updating their consoles :lol

Top Bottom