• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** Warning: PS3 Update 3.50 may disable 3rd party USB "controllers" ***

h3ro

aristotle said:
I still don't understand why people get PS2 to PS3 adapters. Aren't the newer models of almost every controller better?
Because they would rather use a controller they already own rather than undergoing the expense of buying a new one?

mbmonk

h3ro said:
Because they would rather use a controller they already own rather than undergoing the expense of buying a new one?

Pretty much.

EDIT: Some people have custom sticks made for the PS2 and want to use them on the PS3 etc.

aristotle

h3ro said:

I can understand that to a degree. I think it would make more sense in the long run though to sell the old and get the new versions since they're updated and usually have better features. Not to mention they should last longer on average.

mbmonk said:
Pretty much.

EDIT: Some people have custom sticks made for the PS2 and want to use them on the PS3 etc.

If they have custom sticks then they could upgrade the guts though, at least in my mind. And really those with custom sticks rarely don't have money for upgrading controllers.

jcm

This thread needs a summary or an updated first post. What exactly doesn't work?

Edit: Thanks guys. Sounds like much ado about (almost) nothing.

mbmonk

aristotle said:
If they have custom sticks then they could upgrade the guts though, at least in my mind. And really those with custom sticks rarely don't have money for upgrading controllers.

Yea. But it's not only about the money. The reason people build custom sticks/wheels is because what was offered at the time didn't meet their requirements. They created one that does so why not try to get as much use/life out of it you can? Just depends on the person and their situation.

Travado

If Sony try to disable my Logitech G27 (I know that is a licensed product), that cost me a fortune just do play GT5, I want this company to die. :/

gcubed

Travado said:
If Sony try to disable my Logitech G27 (I know that is a licensed product), that cost me a fortune just do play GT5, I want this company to die. :/

they wouldn't and didn't so why even worry?

Firewire

Banned
Travado said:

Sony/PD and Logitech have a very good relationship together. I doubt Sony would fuck with the guys that make the official wheel of the GT series. :lol

mbmonk

Firewire said:
Sony/PD and Logitech have a very good relationship together. I doubt Sony would fuck with the guys that make the official wheel of the GT series. :lol

Yea. I am not even worried about that. I bought the Driving Force GT and haven't hooked it up to check it. IF Sony WAS stupid enough to lock it out, which I don't see happening, Logitech would update the software...err firmware?

Now will I be able to use that same wheel on the PS4? Who knows.

snap0212

AmericanNinja said:
good. I hope sony does whatever it takes to stop these hackers and pirates.
Yeah. Especially considering that the paying customer doesn't lose features or anything like that...

aristotle

mbmonk said:
Yea. But it's not only about the money. The reason people build custom sticks/wheels is because what was offered at the time didn't meet their requirements. They created one that does so why not try to get as much use/life out of it you can? Just depends on the person and their situation.

Like I said, why not update the inner workings to run on the newest console? I haven't delved much into stick modding besides the buttons/stick replacements so I'm not sure exactly what else they would have to do but change one of the boards. Anyways enough from me sidetracking this discussion. I highly doubt many controllers will be disabled by this unless they're really shoddy.

Also, didn't MS do this same thing earlier this year? Why all the PS3 hate (comparatively speaking of course)?

snap0212

aristotle said:
Also, didn't MS do this same thing earlier this year? Why all the PS3 hate (comparatively speaking of course)?
Microsoft just doesn't allow the Datel Memory Cards anymore, right? Instead you can use (cheaper) USB Sticks now to put your data on. It's still shitty, but this is the second time Sony diables a functionality of their console for "security reasons". The second time the paying customer loses something.

Tekken 6 players all use those PS2 converters from USB. Going to be a big problem for the fighting game community if they disable those. None of those are officially licensed things either, I'm pretty sure.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
snap0212 said:
Microsoft just doesn't allow the Datel Memory Cards anymore, right? Instead you can use (cheaper) USB Sticks now to put your data on. It's still shitty, but this is the second time Sony diables a functionality of their console for "security reasons". The second time the paying customer loses something.

Who says this is for security reasons. They are just disabling unlicensed controllers. The paying customer isn't losing anything, people who bought fake, clone controllers are.

Its the 2nd time that Sony have disabled unlicensed controller, first time was exactly a year ago with FW 3.00.

If your fighting stick didn't stop working with FW 3.00 last year, then you should have little to worry about.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/02/firmware-3-00-blamed-for-malfunctioning-ps3-controllers/3

aristotle

snap0212 said:

That OtherOS is hogwash to me. Say what you will and this being neogaf I'm sure I'll get alot of flak for it, but the vast majority doesn't care about *nix on the PS3 nor PS2 compatibility apparently. I wish we still had PS2 stuff btw. I miss it on my slim since my 60 gig died. I can't entirely fault Sony for trying to cleanup a security whole that no one noticed until someone kept boasting about it online. If these "developers" of homebrew were smart, they wouldn't say a damn thing and let everything leak out by itself, but posting blogs and twitter updates about how the development is going is just asking for Sony to get a one-up on you.

I wasn't entirely sure what MS disabled since I didn't have a 360 at the time. I thought it also covered third-party controllers for some reason. My mistake :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:

Like I said comparatively speaking. 360 has a larger userbase on Gaf (at least that's what it seems to be). I remembering reading (glancing) over that topic, but weren't most of the people complaining using hyperbole and freaking out thinking it would disable all kinds of things without any proof? ITT people keeping bringing up the OtherOS debacle for some reason and other things they don't like with the PS3 and not just disabling one (so far?) type of controller.

mbmonk

My problem is for something like XIM the adapter needs a relatively high update rate. So most adapters it seems tend to update around 30 times per second, but with XIM I really need 60 updates per second. So that severly limits my options. The hunt is already on by other XIM users. It's just a matter of time before they find an adapter that works with 3.50. So in the long run it's not a huge deal. It just a pain in the rear.

I was all ready to play MW2 Tuesday night and then this happened :lol

Firewire

Banned
mbmonk said:
Yea. I am not even worried about that. I bought the Driving Force GT and haven't hooked it up to check it. IF Sony WAS stupid enough to lock it out, which I don't see happening, Logitech would update the software...err firmware?

Now will I be able to use that same wheel on the PS4? Who knows.

No worries on that front, the G25 for example is compatible with the PS2 & PS3, Sony is unlikely to change official controller requirements for the PS4.

Logitech wheel owners don't have anything to worry about.

mbmonk

Firewire said:
No worries on that front, the G25 for example is compatible with the PS2 & PS3, Sony is unlikely to change official controller requirements for the PS4.

Logitech wheel owners don't have anything to worry about.

Good to hear. Thanks.

aristotle said:
you make that shit sound like it would be free. or easy.

to upgrade the guts, we're talking $30 minimum, + soldering skills + flux + wire + time.

and if you need someone else to do it, we're talking $100 or more. just to "upgrade the guts".

gcubed

mbmonk said:
My problem is for something like XIM the adapter needs a relatively high update rate. So most adapters it seems tend to update around 30 times per second, but with XIM I really need 60 updates per second. So that severly limits my options. The hunt is already on by other XIM users. It's just a matter of time before they find an adapter that works with 3.50. So in the long run it's not a huge deal. It just a pain in the rear.

I was all ready to play MW2 Tuesday night and then this happened :lol

i never heard of XIM before and googled it, a new world has been opened

This thread is strange.

We went from "they only to that so we can't hack the PS3 even though the firmware prior to it already did that and it doesn't even affect devices we use to hack it" to "I hope they don't ban my licensed third party device x".

Even though all that Sony said was: "We don't offer support for unlicensed accessories like wireless gamepads IF these devices are not compatible with a newer firmware."

Syril

Man, and I just managed to get my PS2 controllers working via this thing:

controller29um.jpg

Can anyone who has this confirm whether or not it works?

Massa

SolidusDave said:
This thread is strange.

We went from "they only to that so we can't hack the PS3 even though the firmware prior to it already did that and it doesn't even affect devices we use to hack it" to "I hope they don't ban my licensed third party device x".

Even though all that Sony said was: "We don't offer support for unlicensed accessories like wireless gamepads IF these devices are not compatible with a newer firmware."

What I find funny is the people who went from:

"So Sony removed OtherOS, I don't use Linux anyway. Get over it."

to

"Oh Sony how dare you remove third party controller support from my PS3!"

J-Rzez

Counterfeit PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers, which are practically identical in appearance to genuine PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers, have been discovered in the market. SCEA advises consumers to be cautious when buying PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers from uncertain sources as the quality, reliability and safety of counterfeit products is uncertain, and in some cases, may be dangerous. It is possible that some counterfeit product may ignite or explode, resulting in injury or damage to the user, your PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, or other property.

Oh well, looks like those early adopters of the Al-Qaeda limited edition controllers are screwed. Here they thought the ticking was from the rumble motors in them.

kamspy

Haven't updated yet.

Can someone confirm that the Nyko Blu Wave dongle works? I use it for my universal remote.

Massa said:
What I find funny is the people who went from:

"So Sony removed OtherOS, I don't use Linux anyway. Get over it."

to

"Oh Sony how dare you remove third party controller support from my PS3!"
more people use 3rd party controllers, shady cheap ds3's off ebay, arcade sticks, keyboard/mouse adapters, wheels and ps2 converters for controllers, arcade sticks, instruments and ddr pads than OtherOS.

some people only care when it potentially affects them.

aristotle

Dreams-Visions said:
you make that shit sound like it would be free. or easy.

to upgrade the guts, we're talking $30 minimum, + soldering skills + flux + wire + time.

and if you need someone else to do it, we're talking $100 or more. just to "upgrade the guts".

It is easy. Of course I was trained to such things, but soldering isn't much more than place hot object + wire at the correct contact point. Flux is cheap and just used to clean it up. It shouldn't take more than an hour to solder most things. And for me, 30 bucks is definitely cheap for custom equipment.

Curufinwe

mbmonk said:
Pretty much.

The L2 and R2 buttons on the DS2 are much better for a lot of games than the spongy "triggers" on the DS3.

Foxix Von

Mudkips said:
Well, I updated, and now my printer doesn't work.

Actually I was sort of curious if you update do keyboards still work?

Curufinwe said:
The L2 and R2 buttons on the DS2 are much better for a lot of games than the spongy "triggers" on the DS3.

"Real triggers"(I think that's what they're called) are my best friend.

mbmonk

aristotle said:
It is easy. Of course I was trained to such things, but soldering isn't much more than place hot object + wire at the correct contact point. Flux is cheap and just used to clean it up. It shouldn't take more than an hour to solder most things. And for me, 30 bucks is definitely cheap for custom equipment.

We get it. There is no acceptable reason to you for someone to use a controller adapter for an older/customer piece of hardware. Got it. :lol

mbmonk

Foxix said:
"Real triggers"(I think that's what they're called) are my best friend.

Those aren't officially licensed are they? Sony is coming for yo' triggers foo'!!!!

Now that you mentioned it I need to stop and get a pair of those tonight. I had a pair but lost them.

Foxix Von

mbmonk said:
My super old 2GB thumb drive did. So I think so.

Well that's good news. If I updated and wasn't able to copy my... errr, diverse video selection to my PS3 I would be thoroughly upset.

duckroll

Okay if thumb drives still work, I don't really care too much. Haven't bought an unlicensed controller since PS1 days. If thumb drives stopped working I would probably actually call in to the customer support and bitch because I use that quite often.

mbmonk

Can anyone confirm if this headset still works? It's supposedly PS3 compatible:

460.jpg

Just kidding. I don't own one. I just saw it and laughed my ass off. I am going to get one and go to LAN, get drunk, play games and try to headbutt people!

Top Bottom