• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*** Warning: PS3 Update 3.50 may disable 3rd party USB "controllers" ***

ScrabbleBanshee said:
- PS2 support discontinued
- Other OS Removed

This is slightly off topic but I may as well ask here. I haven't booted up my launch 60GB PS3 in a few months. It still has PS2 support and OtherOS working with a Linux install. This post implies that if I update my FW to whatever is latest I'll lose PS2 support, Other OS, and not be able to use this USB homebrew thing. Can someone clear up these issues for me?

After answering the above, what FW do I need to install to have everything working and be able to possibly use a non-gimped version of Linux on my PS3?

Hurricane_Chris said:
This is slightly off topic but I may as well ask here. I haven't booted up my launch 60GB PS3 in a few months. It still has PS2 support and OtherOS working with a Linux install. This post implies that if I update my FW to whatever is latest I'll lose PS2 support, Other OS, and not be able to use this USB homebrew thing. Can someone clear up these issues for me?

After answering the above, what FW do I need to install to have everything working and be able to possibly use a non-gimped version of Linux on my PS3?
If you update your firmware, you'll lose OtherOS and won't be able to use the USB jigkick. You will not lose your PS2 backwards compatibility. When people say the feature was removed, they mean it was removed from later hardware revisions.

You're not going to be able to have everything (by everything I mean PSN access of course) working *and* use Linux, though. You have to choose whether you want PSN or Linux/Other OS/Jigkick. You won't lose your PS2 BC either way you go, though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
If you update your firmware, you'll lose OtherOS and won't be able to use the USB jigkick. You will not lose your PS2 backwards compatibility. When people say the feature was removed, they mean it was removed from later hardware revisions.

You're not going to be able to have everything (by everything I mean PSN access of course) working *and* use Linux, though. You have to choose whether you want PSN or Linux/Other OS/Jigkick. You won't lose your PS2 BC either way you go, though.

Thanks for the info. I actually haven't booted the launch PS3 in a while but I have an extra slim that I play on so I guess I can use that as my "official PS3".
That Jigkick thead is pretty long hehe, is there an agreed upon *best* FW that I should upgrade my 60GB PS3 to to be the Linux/Other OS/Jigkick unit?

Hurricane_Chris said:
Thanks for the info. I actually haven't booted the launch PS3 in a while but I have an extra slim that I play on so I guess I can use that as my "official PS3".
That Jigkick thead is pretty long hehe, is there an agreed upon *best* FW that I should upgrade my 60GB PS3 to to be the Linux/Other OS/Jigkick unit?
3.15 is the last firmware that allows OtherOS officially. 3.41 I think is the last firmware the jigkick works on. You should probably ask in the Jigkick thread though. I moved my firmware on and haven't been paying attention so I could be wrong about the last jigkickable FW.

mclem

So... has anyone isolated exactly what they did? I mean, there's gotta be *something* it checks against that distinguishes between "hardware is permitted to form a USB connection" and "hardware is not...", given so many people are reporting that *their* third-party hardware is working fine.

It doesn't help that I'm not particularly au fait with the USB protocol. Do USB devices have a unique ID that helps the OS determine what sort of device it is, and the PS3 is just blocking one or some specific known dodgy IDs?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
not seeing anything particularly unexpected or unprecedented here. this is just the classic mid-game move in the game of Sony versus Hackers

So uhm, I don't really see the connection between the PS3 hack and some wireless unlicensed gamepads not working anymore?

Moreover, SCEA does not support continued functionality of counterfeit or unlicensed controllers in system software updates and these devices may cease to function in the future because of system software updates.

Sounds more like "we don't have to program and design our firmware so that every unlicensed hardware still works".
And of course they don't have to do that and future unlicensed devices will work with this firmware (but may also stop working at one point), I don't see how that is supposed to counter hackers.

I don't know, this just reminds me more of the time when they added more firmware features for the PS1/2 Memory Card adapter and all/most third party products were not designed for this and killed your Memory Cards as a result. Though I wonder what they changed as this affects only a few gamepads.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm just an observer. This hack back and forward is a interesting read. I wasn't here for the psp stuff and it's a handheld so I probably would have looked over it. It's like watching a battle.

Edit: One thing's for sure, the next Playstation (Handheld and console) will most likely be closed. No Ken, and all these situations. When PS4 is out PS3 will be as open as a zebra in the middle of a pack of lions. Guts and blood all over the place.

This really is the worst thing. Hackers are not at fault. I'd rather have Ken in charge, even if he did screw up with Cell. At least he was trying to make a more open, all encompassing media box. And he succeeded because to this day the launch models are the gold standard for ps3. The direction he was moving the ps3 in, there was much less NEED to hack the system in the first place. That's a big reason why the ps3 remained secure for so long.

The current fool in charge has no clue. Just hacks away features blindly. Each revision he's made has been more gimped than the previous one. First with ps2 BC and usb ports, than with otherOS. The fool even removed otherOS via firmware on older consoles. Who's to say the fool can't remove ps2 BC one day? The ps4 is going to be seriously crap with this idiot in charge.

All of my 3rd party controllers and peripherals werk fine.

Some of you QQing need to read the report - UNLICENSED controllers - most 3rd party controllers werk fine

gcubed

This is quite possibly the shittiest thread I've seen on gaf in a while, even with mod participation. Not one single report of an issue with any existing hardware... Oh noes they be ruining everything!

onken

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Truly sucks considering the PS3 finally got a good controller in the form of the unofficial 360 clone.

Do you know whether or not this actually breaks the unofficial 360 clone or is this just random speculation presented as fact? (with a nice bit of CONTROLLER WARZ thrown in for good measure)

snap0212

I have never really bothered „hacking“ my consoles or handhelds before (except jailbreak, of course), and haven’t really followed what happend regarding the PS3. So the “hackers” never really touched the PS3, because they thought having OtherOS was a nice idea and gives them pretty much everything they want to do with their console (with limitations, of course). One guy tried to hack the system but never succeeded, but made a couple of Blog postings about it telling everyone how he’s going to hack the PS3 very soon, etc. Sony reacts and disables OtherOS. Now people who were previously not interested in hacking the system got pissed and started to hack the system – successfully. They have to use the PS3’s USB ports to do so and now Sony is reacting again by making whatever changes the USB to make sure most third-party devices (like the one needed for the hack) won’t work anymore. Am I right?

Isn’t this all pretty stupid?

Sorry for only using the word "hacked" or "hacking", but I don't know anything about it, so I might not use the right words. :)

Zoe

kpop100 said:
:lol Why wouldn't your silver DS work, they're gonna start blocking certain colors?

Someone in the FFXIII thread was claiming their import controller no longer worked. This is the only controller I wasn't able to select physically out from a store.

gcubed

Zoe said:
Someone in the FFXIII thread was claiming their import controller no longer worked. This is the only controller I wasn't able to select physically out from a store.

if their import controller didn't work then they bought an unlicensed knock off... my import White DS3 has been working fine since the update.

Brofist

Zoe said:

That "import" controller is probably a knock off. In Japan there are tons of places that sell the knock offs, especially on the auctions sites like Yahoo Auction. They even have the Sony logo on them which makes them indistinguishable in some cases.

Updating right now.
If my bootleg Saturn pad stops working well it's no big deal cause the d-pad blows anyway(at least for 2D shooters or anything that requires moving in any direction at any time).

onken said:
Do you know whether or not this actually breaks the unofficial 360 clone or is this just random speculation presented as fact? (with a nice bit of CONTROLLER WARZ thrown in for good measure)

Just going by what the article says buddy.

onken

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just going by what the article says buddy.

The article only mentions counterfeit DS3s. Also you have a thread full of people saying their various 3rd party peripherals are still working fine. I think it's rational to assume that unless someone states otherwise, it's not broken.

itxaka said:
I just hope the hackers doesn't find a exploit in a game or dvd like the king kong exploit for the 360.
...What? What does an old, outdated 360 exploit have to do with Sony blocking controllers? How is that even remotely relevant?

MrPliskin

Banned
So I don't see anything in this thread outside of Hyperbole from a ot of homebrew users who have zero plans on updating anyway. Looks like a lot of what's important still works a-okay. What's the deal?

Zoe

kpop100 said:
That "import" controller is probably a knock off. In Japan there are tons of places that sell the knock offs, especially on the auctions sites like Yahoo Auction. They even have the Sony logo on them which makes them indistinguishable in some cases.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Hence, I wanted to check my own import controller.

Bootleg Saturn controller works just fine.
Went and got clobbered by Castlevania Chronicles(Original mode..honestly how did anyone at Konami expect anyone to get past the raft section?)

Aside from the forum post in the OP, and the timing of the post on Sony's site, there's really no indication that this is is tied to 3.50. My guess is that this "disabling" actually occurred in 3.42 when they stopped the jigkick, and just recently they realized that it also had the effect of making bootleg USB devices stop working. Right now this sounds like much ado about nothing.

Haunted

Dai101 said:
0ibm2v2.jpg
haha

itxaka

Defeatist
grap3fruitman said:
...What? What does an old, outdated 360 exploit have to do with Sony blocking controllers? How is that even remotely relevant?

read the first part of my phrase? Or if you are unable to, let me take out the last part of it, because you seem offended by it.

I just hope the hackers don't find a exploit in a game or dvd.

mbmonk

I can 100% say that my YOBO PS2 -> PS3 adapter worked with 3.4x and no longer works with 3.50. Basically turned my XIM into a paper weight.

I get Sony's side, but to my knowledge there is no officially licensced PS2 -> PS3 converter. So whatever adapter I buy to replace the YOBO, still runs the risk of being shut off by Sony in future updates because it isn't officially licensced.

I am just going to wait it out for a while before buying anther PS2 -> PS3 adapter. I don't need XIM until Black Ops. Still sucks ass though. I am going to have to solder.. not my strong point.

itsgreen

sony said:
It is possible that some counterfeit product may ignite or explode, resulting in injury or damage to the user, your PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, or other property.

Wasn't there a major recall 2 years ago on Sony laptops because their genuine battery's exploded?

aristotle

mbmonk said:
I can 100% say that my YOBO PS2 -> PS3 adapter worked with 3.4x and no longer works with 3.50. Basically turned my XIM into a paper weight.

I get Sony's side, but to my knowledge there is no officially licensced PS2 -> PS3 converter. So whatever adapter I buy to replace the YOBO, still runs the risk of being shut off by Sony in future updates because it isn't officially licensced.

I am just going to wait it out for a while before buying anther PS2 -> PS3 adapter. I don't need XIM until Black Ops. Still sucks ass though. I am going to have to solder.. not my strong point.

I still don't understand why people get PS2 to PS3 adapters. Aren't the newer models of almost every controller better?

Top Bottom