• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Dr. Halsey justified, ultimately, in creating the Spartan-II program in Halo?

If Master Chief didn't do the things that he did, effectively fighting off Covenant actions wherever and whenever he could, the Arbiter and the rest of the Elites would have destroyed not only humanity, but themselves along with the rest of sentient life in the galaxy.

Master Chief's actions kept the elites alive long enough to actually have a choice on which path they would take. Prior to the Master Chief, they were all too happy to go on their "great journey."

If Baird on the Midlothian didn't stop the Engineer from discovering Earth's location, then humanity would have be doomed.

The Arbiter was the most important part to all of this IMO.

Matriox

Walton-Goggins-and-Timoth-008.jpg

In the end, it would seem so, but the way to get there I'm not so sure.

Justified...totally. Humanity would have been wiped out without the Spartans....

I hate though how Traviss has ruined Halsey's character. In the books, it is clear that Halsey is not acting alone, and that she has the blessing of ONI and by extension the UNSC to start the SPARTAN II program. Traviss makes it seem like she started the program all by her lonesome and therefore is a monster. Glasslands was painful to read due to this nonsense. And Halsey being Mendele? Give me a break....

The thing that bothered me the most is that Spartan II's were made to win, while Spartan III's were made to die. The lesser evil is pretty clear, so her character treatment doesn't make a whole lot of sense recently.

Spartans III's were children without parents that wanted revenge on the Covenant that took their family/home/planet from them during intergalactic wartime. They more or less enlisted iirc.

Spartan II's were kidnapped and replaced with flash cloned versions of themselves during a time of relative peace, where the only fear was outer colonies no longer supporting the inner colonies lifestyle with their harvested bounties.

I think they may have been VERY different when looked at in this light, sorry.

Sibylus

Banned
No. Her justification at the time was that she could abduct children and make goons to suppress lesser humans exercising their right to self-determination, not that she was some savant who saw omnicidal war with the Flood and Covenant coming.

That great good can be rendered from great evil after the fact doesn't justify committing evil, but people are justified nonetheless in trying to transform it. That's what peculiar about the Halsey character, because her reformers are in large part packed into her character by the time of the war. Still, it doesn't redeem what she did prior to that point.

Jindrax

Something we can't really judge because they have clones and stuff...
I mean. I'd she would have used the clones instead. Would that have been bad?
Or nobody really suffered because the parents got the to keep their kids. (Clones)

Veelk

Banned
The morality of Halsey's actions, for me, is easy to determine when you realize that she didn't merely abduct children, but also brain washed them. The processes that were performed on them stripped them of their sexuality and their personalities suppressed. By the time they were of age to make any kind of decision, all they knew was the military and that they should follow their orders.

This lead to my interpretation of Master Chief, which I think is somewhat rare; that Master Chief is a human war machine. What I mean by that is that he is a person who was stripped of his personhood and basically turned into a military tool, able to think for himself in terms of strategy and combat, but otherwise he services the military simply because he can't do anything else. He doesn't risk his life over and over out of good will, he doesn't have any personal feelings of affection for the people he saves, he doesn't even have any particular feelings about the covenant. He just follows orders. This is supported by his utter apathy to the medals and public adoration he receives, as well as his complete lack of reservation or questions that the giant bi-pedal land shark monsters he's been fighting all his life are now suddenly his allies. That's just how he views the world, with complete detachment to all life, and nothing exists but the objectives highlighted on his HUD. If the Elites are now suddenly his friends after being an enemy all these years, who is he to argue? And all the people he saved? He would just as soon turn around and blow their brains out against the pavement if the military snapped their fingers and told him thats what they wanted him to do, and he'd do it with no reservations or guilt. All they have to do is tell him they're the enemy. He is a machine, literally a tool who has been as psychologically stripped of free will as a person can be without falling into total insanity to be used as a weapon against any the military deem as an enemy. And you'd never hear him or any of the spartans complaining about it. At this point, this is the only life they've ever known. They're utterly, unthinkingly loyal, no matter what happens.

Of course, the exception to this is Cortana, who is the one emotional connection he has to anybody. All the same, the process rendered them all mindlessly faithful to the call of duty the UNSC rings whenever they want. You don't do that to a person, even in the midst of war. I don't see Halsey as a monster of any kind, as she feels immense guilt over the fact, and that it is the one thing that saved humanities ass in the greatest war they've ever had is something that should be taken into consideration. But to completely alter a person like that seems fundamentally wrong to me.

Trey

Veelk, you're mostly correct about the Spartans. They are unflinchingly loyal, but they do have personalities and they do care very much for one another and Halsey. Chief is always about that business but he does form some bonds, and is capable of emotional processing. He makes a moral decision in First Strike that actually went against ONI/UNSC in order to save a life, for an example.

akira28

No. Her justification at the time was that she could abduct children and make goons to suppress lesser humans exercising their right to self-determination, not that she was some savant who saw omnicidal war with the Flood and Covenant coming.

Actually
Spartan and ORION projects were both sheperded and influenced by the Assembly of Human AI.
So Halsey was pushed, she just didn't need as much pushing and had a lot of 'outside of the box' initiative.

DocSeuss

I can't believe how comprehensively 343 and Karen Traviss ruined Dr. Halsey. She was portrayed as a morally complex genius in Eric Nylund's books before they turned her into a sociopathic war criminal and had the balls to claim that their retcon was consistent with the original version of the character. Makes me so fucking sick.

Nylund's books seemed like good military sci-fi. Traviss' seem like... anti-military sci-fi, as does 343's treatment of the series, which is kinda missing the point. Maybe they're going to do some absolutely incredible things, but the books--as well as Halo 4--have been a letdown on some pretty basic levels. As in "how did these people get jobs?" levels. Because, seriously, most of them would have flunked the writing/screenwriting classes I've taken. Hard.

Something we can't really judge because they have clones and stuff...
I mean. I'd she would have used the clones instead. Would that have been bad?
Or nobody really suffered because the parents got the to keep their kids. (Clones)

The clones all died.

This thread isn't about those other things though.

As far as espionage is concerned, I'm not sure that a 7 foot cyborg superman is really the best for subtle infiltration and espionage either. Spartan mental prowess and tactical thinking does not require other modifications or putting them in combat. In fact, I would argue that putting super-generals on the front line as infantry is a bad move when they could just be commanding troops. The mental enhancements were one small component of the program.

Of course I would argue that a superhuman AI is better than a human at everything anyway, so they're the ones that should be calling the shots tactically and strategically, but I'm sure that if asked the writers will come up with some nonsense about the human spirit and creativity that has no real basis in science.

Um. That would violate the first law of robotics.

They had Spartans on the front line and back in command stuffs (like Kurt, iirc?).

Toxi

Banned
its actually a good lesson that not everything can be all perfect and PC . Sometimes bad things need to happen for the greater good.
This isn't bad things happening for the greater good, though.

This is bad things randomly turning out to be useful in the long run.
i always thought "the end justifies the means" covered the end you planned to justify with the means you took, not some out of left field random ass lucky fucking ending that was completely unplanned for with your means
Yeah, basically this.

Top Bottom