• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs sold (to consumers) over 4 millions units during its first week

No Love

Banned
Is this confirmed? EA must be crying with the Titanfall deal. EA had a potentially huge franchise on their hands and could have had a huge hit. Instead it has squandered it away with exclusivity.

That's very true. Titanfall would've been a monster if it was on PS4 as well. I'm sure EA is working their ass off right now to get Titanfall 2 (or perhaps a port of Titanfall) out the door on PS4 ASAP.

Mario Kart and Watch Dogs proves releasing a game during a drought is the way to go. No doubt this would have not sold as well if released as planned. Still though, congrats to Ubisoft I guess. Does that mean Watch Dogs 2 in Winter 2015?

That's very true. Titanfall would've been a monster if it was on PS4 as well. I'm sure EA is working their ass off right now to get Titanfall 2 (or perhaps a port of Titanfall) out the door on PS4 ASAP.
Just proves people will not buy an inferior console just because of exclusives. EA knows Garden Warfare is going to sell well on the Playstation network. Pretty sure EA will learn to not sign exclusives with Microsoft anymore. Sunset Overdrive is going to hurt due to exclusivity as well.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Is this confirmed? EA must be crying with the Titanfall deal. EA had a potentially huge franchise on their hands and could have had a huge hit. Instead it has squandered it away with exclusivity.
Probably EA didn't think that PS4 domination would be so huge so they went ahead with MS for exclusive Titanfall partnership. Now they must have realized that this strategy backfired big time.

Good.

Although I'm sure there are some shitheads that are devastated to see this game succeed, and that people get to keep their jobs, and the industry's health is strengthened with the successful launch of a new IP. To them I laugh.

gtj1092

Where are people seeing the 1.6 for the Ps4 version?

Funny seeing all the anger at this game from all sides.

Nintendo fan upset Wii U version delayed and this putting a slight damper on MK sales numbers.

Sony fan upset a non 1080p game selling great proving the average person doesn't care about the details.

MS fan upset this just crushed Titanfall and sold best on Ps4.

KorrZ

Congrats to Ubisoft.

They seem to be the only company that really knows how to take advantage of next-gen console releases. I mean, look at this calendar year it's stacked with Ubi games and it's paying off for them.

I'm enjoying WD a lot more than I thought I ever would, so good on them! Bring on WD2.

Trago

Can this news finally convince publishers to space their AAA release the fuck away from each other in the year?

The summer months are free y'know.

MikahR

Banned
Probably EA didn't think that PS4 domination would be so huge so they went ahead with MS for exclusive Titanfall partnership. Now they must have realized that this strategy backfired big time.

I hardly think their strategy backfired. They received a large amount of money from Microsoft for the deal. And now with all the attention Titanfall is getting, people are already anticipating Titanfall 2 which will be multiplatform.

I think EA's sitting pretty right now. Gamers are already anticipating the next title. How is this a bad thing for them?

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Can this news finally convince publishers to space their AAA release the fuck away from each other in the year?

The summer months are free y'know.
If only EA would have realized this and have had guts to release BF4 during this time... "Hard-line"...oh well

bill0527

Even if you hate the game, or its not your cup of tea, or its got too many flaws for you, I certainly would hope you have the foresight and the brains to understand that this is really great news for those of us still holding on to the hope that AAA cinematic gaming isn't on its deathbed.

This is great news for the industry and it just may inspire some other companies to take a risk and release a new big budget IP.

meta4

Nintendo fan upset Wii U version delayed and this putting a slight damper on MK sales numbers.

Sony fan upset a non 1080p game selling great proving the average person doesn't care about the details.

How about no.

1080p Watchdogs would have made the game look quite a lot better. It is currently blurry. Sony fans would have preferred 1080p but since they are getting the best console version and no other console is providing 1080p they have no choice but to buy the PS4 version. So I really dont think anyone is upset.

MikahR

Banned

giphy.gif

You must have quite the psych degree to be able to know how everyone is feeling about all of this.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I hardly think their strategy backfired. They received a large amount of money from Microsoft for the deal. And now with all the attention Titanfall is getting, people are already anticipating Titanfall 2 which will be multiplatform.

I think EA's sitting pretty right now. Gamers are already anticipating the next title. How is this a bad thing for them?
I don't think that MS would have paid them that much which can equate to missed PS sales. Even if we discard that, TitanFall had a golden opportunity to make it 10+million new IP but with less Xbone sales the game success expectations didn't live to the hype. Instead destiny from Activision has everything going right for now.

a916

Hardly, for one the exclusive deal was for one game, the franchise is still poised for big things...

You think EA sat there and didn't run a cost analysis and compared it to whatever Brinks truck MS backed up? They are a multi billion dollar corporation. They run numbers on this sort of thing... (add whatever $$$ they saved by having to avoid using their own servers and using MS)

MikahR

Banned
I don't think that MS would have paid them that much which can equate to missed PS sales. Even if we discard that, TitanFall had a golden opportunity to make it 10+million new IP but with less Xbone sales the game success expectations didn't live to the hype. Instead destiny from Activision has everything going right for now.

10+ million? That is quite a generous estimate there... And EA isn't a dumb company. They wouldn't have made this exclusive deal with Microsoft if it was going to harm their financials or their franchise.

Additionally, they also made lots of Titanfall sales on PC and 360. It wasn't just Xbox One.

And so what if it didn't sell as well as they wanted. They laid the groundwork for future titles and there is already anticipation.

newtonfb

Anyone else getting error (CE-34878-0) ?? I just purchased the game..got home and put it in my ps4. It wont get past booting up. I just keep getting this error.

Neuro

They only need 2.3 more for it to meet predictions?

Might be hard considering the sheer amount of negativity shrouding the game.

Really enjoyed playing it, but have no interest in Aiden to continue in these games.

And the ending ugh... first time I ever tried to prevent an ending from happening.

The sheer amount of negativity was largely around GAF which is not representative of the gamers who buy CoD year after year...

I got the game a week before its release but havent gotten the time to open it out of the box, still playing Wolfenstien at higher difficulty

4 mill essentially means as sequel...Anyone here got the platform breakdown numbers?

Trago

If only EA would have realized this and have had guts to release BF4 during this time... "Hard-line"...oh well

Seriously, why the fuck is almost everything Q4? WD would not have sold this well if it was released in Q4.

We shouldn't have to deal with heavy ass release months like March or October. Wouldn't it be cool if we got like one or two AAA releases during each month of the year?

Neuro

Imagine how huge Titanfall would have been if it had launched on everything...

Everything means the PS3 and PS4 right? Would have sold tons but I think not having a dedicated single player campaign limits its true potential maybe the sequel can work around on this...

gtj1092

giphy.gif

You must have quite the psych degree to be able to know how everyone is feeling about all of this.

Don't need a degree obviously not all of them feel like this but if you been around long enough you know who's who and their general posting habits.

MilesTeg

Banned
Seriously, why the fuck is almost everything Q4? WD would not have sold this well if it was released in Q4.

We shouldn't have to deal with heavy ass release months like March or October. Wouldn't it be cool if we got like one or two AAA releases during each month of the year?

Not only that, but February/March is usually stacked as publishers rush out their product to release before fiscal year ends to fluff their numbers. Wheras if they released in April or May the games would have less competition.

It's been proven time and time again that April and May can be quite lucrative. Look at GTAIV, Red Dead, Max Payne 3, LA Noire, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit and I'm sure many others.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
10+ million? That is quite a generous estimate there... And EA isn't a dumb company. They wouldn't have made this exclusive deal with Microsoft if it was going to harm their financials or their franchise.

Additionally, they also made lots of Titanfall sales on PC and 360. It wasn't just Xbox One.

And so what if it didn't sell as well as they wanted. They laid the groundwork for future titles and there is already anticipation.
10 million lifetime isn't that big of a number if it would have been released on 5 platforms simultaneously. Any specific info of sales breakdown by platform? If they got enough money from MS then in no way TitanFall 2 would release on PS. It's pretty clear that EA can't ignore PS consumer base. But yes I agree that TitanFall could be a valuable franchise to look forward to.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

I agree. Probably after the success of Watch Dogs, Ubisoft would look to release Watch Dogs every year during summer while pumping out AC's during fall.

Bsigg12

How about no.

1080p Watchdogs would have made the game look quite a lot better. It is currently blurry. Sony fans would have preferred 1080p but since they are getting the best console version and no other console is providing 1080p they have no choice but to buy the PS4 version. So I really dont think anyone is upset.

Welp this thread was fun. I'll go have fun playing my blurry videogame while you complain some more.

It's a little demeaning to believe that the people who bought and enjoyed the game were tricked by marketing. It's a solid base to build on and a successful new IP that a lot of people are having fun with. It also shows the industry can support new AAA IP alongside sequels and cheaper releases. Good for everyone.

Well deserved. I'm having a ton of fun trying to play this steatlh as much as I can.

Looks great with Sweet FX too.

Edit: And no, I wasn't tricked by marketing either. I went in expecting a game that I could play in a stealth/espionage manner and thats what I got. I'm enjoying it tremendously.

ButchCat

Congrats Ubi. Now make sure you don't betray us when you make WD2, you know.. us the people who helped establish a permanent franchise.

Muffdraul

But so much of the single player content is chase the same criminal, stop the same convoy, hack the same tower etc etc. Game is solid but it has a long way to go to be a GOTY type.

With all of the various mission types, side activities, and AR games, it's difficult to fathom how anyone could accuse this game of lacking variety. Seems to me the only way to think the SP content is particularly repetitive would be if you were to ignore a good chunk of it.

Trago

Not only that, but February/March is usually stacked as publishers rush out their product to release before fiscal year ends to fluff their numbers. Wheras if they released in April or May the games would have less competition.

It's been proven time and time again that April and May can be quite lucrative. Look at GTAIV, Red Dead, Max Payne 3, LA Noire, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit and I'm sure many others.

And that's what boggles my mind, in a dry month you have NO OTHER AAA releases to worry about eating your sales.

I really want to know the sales projection of the games being released in October. What do these publishers think they'll get in such a crowded month?

Top Bottom