• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs sold (to consumers) over 4 millions units during its first week

The Mario Kart numbers certainly seem less impressive now.

Huh? Mario kart 8 was in a weekend and this was a week, also mario kart 8 is on a platform with 6 million consoles, watch dogs is available to over 150 million consoles and PC

So I'd say mario kart is more impressive.

tumblr_n6lh8iqDqw1qgd0edo1_500.gif

Well done, Ubisoft Montreal (and all the other studios) - you delivered.

Playing the game some textures and stuff really bother me. Like car damage and streets, not to mention lighting is meh. But the game is solid good ol American fun so well deserved.

Damn at that PS4 sales. Maybe cross gen does need to go.

I think the more logical conclusion to draw there is that early adopters are more likely to buy games on week one (or more likely to buy in this time of year) than that nobody wants to buy last-gen games anymore. the current-gen:last-gen sales ratio for WD will probably drop as time goes on.

Huh? Mario kart 8 was in a weekend and this was a week, also mario kart 8 is on a platform with 6 million consoles, watch dogs is available to over 150 million consoles and PC

I think it's likely the PS4 version of WD did as well or better than MK8 and that's a 7 million install base, not much bigger than the Wii U. So yea, it kind of does make MK8's number look a bit less impressive (though by no means bad, it's still a great number)

Tom_Cody

I just meant that, as a Nintendo fanboy (look at my avatar), this is a bit deflating.

The Mario Kart sales numbers represent the first bit of good news Nintendo has had in a while and yet they are dwarfed by Watch Dogs' numbers.

Yes, the install base issue exists, but in a larger sense that only serves to demonstrate the weakness of Nintendo's position.

That said, the issue of 3 days vs. 7 days is obviously a real issue. It will be interesting to check back on this in a few months.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I just meant that, as a Nintendo fanboy (look at my avatar), this is a bit deflating.

The Mario Kart sales numbers represent the first bit of good news Nintendo has had in a while and yet they are dwarfed by Watch Dogs' numbers.

Yes, the install base issue exists, but in a larger sense that only serves to demonstrate the weakness of Nintendo's position.

That said, the issue of 3 days vs. 7 days is obviously a real issue. It will be interesting to check back on this in a few months.

It's like you're just ignoring context

Well deserved. Ubisoft seem to have crafted a brilliant game in Watch Dogs.

I haven't finished it yet, but so far I'm of the feeling that this is a GOTY contender.

sjay1994

Complete ignorance on my part, but when the sales numbers were posted for MK8, I was more surprised there were 1.2 million WiiU's.

EMT0

Banned
Good lord, this followed by Mario Kart is making a really good case for video games booming in sales numbers between May and June.

Sothpaw

Didn't enjoy the game very much. Ubi quest after Ubi quest. Bad driving and not being able to shoot while driving also killed it for me. All you need to do is press the hack key when someone is following you and viola they are disabled.

Solid 60 fps 1080p on PC though with zero performance issues, I'll give them that.

Keyouta

Great news, it's always nice when a new IP is successful. I should really get around to checking it out.

Tom_Cody

It's like you're just ignoring context
My original comment doesn't warrant this much discussion. I was merely saying that my purely emotional reaction to MK8's 1.2 million figure was deflated by my purely emotional reaction to Watch Dogs' 4 million figure.

FiggyCal

Banned
watch dogs haters in Gaf take another L.

Yeah really. For all the hatred people might have for this game, why would anyone want something this expensive to fail. Same with the folks praying that MGS4: Ground Zeroes would bomb. It's like why :/ Because you don't like it?

All Nintendo has to do is lower the Wii U price by 50 and I'll buy it. Heck or when super smash comes out, make a bundle and I'll buy it.

Bsigg12

Pretty damn insane...

Ubisoft's advertisement is really really good.

They have a good game to boot. Advertising can't make a piece of shit pretty, you have to have something foundationally sound in order for advertising to kill it. Ubisoft has an interesting premise in what Watch Dogs is and what it can become.

anddo0

I'm enjoying it more than GTA V to be honest.
Can't wait for Watch Dogs 2 to be next-gen only.

The game has it's issues. But, the mission structure is far more fun than GTA.

Congrats Ubi. I know you're just scratching the surface of where this franchise can go. Very solid ground work.

Phionoxx

May have missed it elsewhere but have there been any sales figures released capturing amount of copies sold digitally on PC (steam, uplay store, origin, etc.)?

Yeah really. For all the hatred people might have for this game, why would anyone want something this expensive to fail. Same with the folks praying that MGS4: Ground Zeroes would bomb. It's like why :/ Because you don't like it?

I think their mentality is that if something they hate fails, the company will "learn their lesson" and make changes that they'll love next time around.

Of course, that can backfire and they'd end up with changes they hate even more.

ryan299

Gotta believe that some of the success is coming from the fact that there's really nothing else to play at the moment.

sjay1994

The game has it's issues. But, the mission structure is far more fun than GTA.

Congrats Ubi. I know you're just scratching the surface of where this franchise can go. Very solid ground work.

Also just moving around feels better.

Fuck the idiot at rockstar who though mashing X to run was a good idea. The only time it worked was in red dead, where you needed to maintain a rhythm to move your horse. But on ground?

Also, shooting things and driving is the only solution to your problems in GTA.

Watch dogs has more approaches, and the core is much more satisfying than GTA.

GrayDock

It's a good game and deserves it's sales and delaying it (sales wise and probably quality wise too) was a good move form UBI.

One can only imagine what a new GTA would achieve....

luxarific

Nork unification denier
It's kinda weird. I think the spider tank is probably my favorite digital trip.

Probably my biggest complaint about the game (right after the cookie-cutter protagonist/main story) - the lack of a manual. I don't care if it's paper or a website, but I wish Ubisoft had posted some more detailed information re controls and gameplay (particularly for mp - I have seen their official blog post on the mp and it's pretty skimpy). The digital manual in the game is pathetic and also completely missing for some of the games. The discussion in the main thread about mp and what people can see and what they can't see and whether you're notified or not is just sad. Complete trial and error at this point.

HOLY SHIT

30 hours played and I never even tried this. Had no idea what I was missing.

brb

You're not missing much - it's pretty dull and you can't listen to your own music.

Spider tank is still the best mini game, probably followed by that robot one.

Gildarts

Banned
They only need 2.3 more for it to meet predictions?

Might be hard considering the sheer amount of negativity shrouding the game.

Really enjoyed playing it, but have no interest in Aiden to continue in these games.

And the ending ugh... first time I ever tried to prevent an ending from happening.

image.php

Zoned

Actively hates charity
This would benefit them tremendously. I hope they do this. I'm not particularly interested in either AC or Watch_Dogs, but they should alternate with them every year. Maybe even get a 3rd franchise in there (Far Cry?), and space everything out. That would give them a big AAA franchise every holiday plus avoid fatigue. Doubt Ubi would do this though.

Still, great sales for the game, I'm impressed
Why would Ubisoft not push AC every year when that franchise is easily doing 10+ millions every year? Also now with the success of watch dogs, the plan would be to make Watch dogs yearly from 2016. So AC in fall while Watch dogs filling that Summer AAA lineup. Along with that, division and far cry every 2 years.

Kelsey

Banned
Not exactly thrilled that a game with underwhelming visuals to me was successful.

That's a helluva post to get tagged with.

The game is great fun, and I don't get the complaint that there isn't enough content. The game is spilling over with it (single player). Multiplayer, especially free roam, needs a lot of work in the sequel though.

teiresias

If the EU platform breakdown holds for the US, that's probably another nail in the coffin for publishers thinking it's a good idea to cut off the PS4 audience by signing exclusive deals with Sony's DRM-always-online-loving competitor.

Top Bottom