• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs sold (to consumers) over 4 millions units during its first week

Gold_Loot

Well deserved! Having a great time with this game. Sure , a few warts here and there , but great none the less.

I love that they pack the game with a lot of content. I'm the kind of guy that likes to get lost playing mini games, and this delivers.

Aiden's face is weird as hell though.

Gator86

More Pubs NEED to take note. Even after WD this summer is still pretty dry. What do we have? Destiny Beta? UFC? TLOU:R

More AAA games need to be released in the Summer months. Not many, but 2-3 good AAA games. Probably a new IP would do well this time of year.

Yeah, publishers have completely bungled their release schedules. Sure, let's say spring and summer game sales are a little lower. That's still better than dealing the with nightmare gauntlet of competing AAA titles in October and November. It makes absolutely no sense to compete with juggernauts if you don't have to. Good for Ubi delaying a product that wasn't up to their standards and then releasing it at a great time.

Sothpaw

That's a helluva post to get tagged with.

The game is great fun, and I don't get the complaint that there isn't enough content. The game is spilling over with it (single player). Multiplayer, especially free roam, needs a lot of work in the sequel though.

But so much of the single player content is chase the same criminal, stop the same convoy, hack the same tower etc etc. Game is solid but it has a long way to go to be a GOTY type.

The game has one thing over gtav. The seamless multiplayer.

ibnqgmprKKXhL9.gif

allan-bh

Good sales, but not that impressive. Is a big production with a big marketing and launched on 5 systems, so of course will sell.

Kelsey

Banned
But so much of the single player content is chase the same criminal, stop the same convoy, hack the same tower etc etc. Game is solid but it has a long way to go to be a GOTY type.

There's a lot of that. But there's also chess, the drinking game, 5 altered reality games that are a ton of fun, hacking/tailing other users, a few side quests that lead to an extra mission. There's a lot of content here. I happen to enjoy the criminal chases and convoys, but I can see where that could get old for some.

Good sales, but not that impressive. Is a big production with a big marketing and launched on 5 systems, so of course will sell.

It's a record launch of new ip... How that is not impressive? RECORD. Also at least in UK it sold 76% of its total sales on PS4/XBO so it really doesn't matter on how many platforms the game is. Last gen owners are not buying new software anymore that much.

WatchDogs has some very strong marketing behind it with Sony.

If Destiny gets the same (seems like it is) it'll be another smash hit

Pretty impressive. I guess we can use this thread now whenever someone comes along and claims that marketing for games is not an important factor. :)

gtj1092

If the EU platform breakdown holds for the US, that's probably another nail in the coffin for publishers thinking it's a good idea to cut off the PS4 audience by signing exclusive deals with Sony's DRM-always-online-loving competitor.

And that break down was just the UK the ratio will be even more skewed in mainland Europe. Looking at the sales and the hype for this game compared to Titanfall they could of sold 4 million plus easily it was released on every platform.

You are posting in a thread that announced that a new IP which received a downgrade from debut, which was hotly debated by enthusiasts across the web ...

... SOLD 4 MILLION COPIES TO CUSTOMERS IN ITS FIRST WEEK.

WHAT SHROUD OF NEGATIVITY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

The one that only neogaf cares about.

allan-bh

It's a record launch of new ip... How that is not impressive? RECORD. Also at least in UK it sold 76% of its total sales on PS4/XBO so it really doesn't matter on how many platforms the game is. Last gen owners are not buying new software anymore that much.

Which new IP was launched in 5 systems?

Numbers are very good, but I'm not super impressed like other people here.

So the fight is on with Destiny for top-selling new IP this year? This is setting the bar pretty high. It seems they'll even meet their terrifyingly lofty estimates but one would think they might need to actually get into the sales of a second release to make money on the IP. For that reason alone we'll likely see another. A win for Ubi though, truly.

Also a massive win for people who care about single-player games since this game was predominately marketed and sold as one, and a thumb in the eye to people who thought the downgrade and/or delay was going to result in death. Proof that people are fine not having the best of the best of the best technical prowess if a game is actually fun to play. Also proof that this is an awesome time of year to release a big game since you get virtually zero competition. One reason The Last Of Us kept up momentum as long as it did was because it was released in the standard drought period.

1.6M on the PS4 is very solid but not terribly surprising. 40%! Desn't that put it near-ish or over Titanfall's X1 sales? That would have to singe the morale at Microsoft and EA a bit as a point of pride if nothing else, though they should still be proud of their numbers with a new IP.

Shiggy

Which new IP was launched in 5 systems?

Numbers are very good, but I'm not super impressed like other people here.

Well, it's not as if people are buying both the PS4 and the PS3 versions at the same time. A lot of those owning next gen consoles do also own a PS3 or an Xbox 360. So I don't really think you've got a big point.

allan-bh

Well, it's not as if people are buying both the PS4 and the PS3 versions at the same time. A lot of those owning next gen consoles do also own a PS3 or an Xbox 360. So I don't really think you've got a big point.

And a lot don't have next gen systems (The bigger part), so?

Watch Dogs is on 5 systems, this is simple a statement of a fact and is relevant. Even with UK split applied worldwide,1 milion was sold on last gen and apparently PC sales (digital) are surprisingly good.

Don't really care for the game but ubisoft played this well from the beginning. The E3 reveal, the release when there wasn't much else. The marketing has been present. Just Solis planning all around. Being an ambitious new IP helps.

Coolade

Is the game properly good or is this the drought?

It's the drought. Go read Kotakus review for the most accurate review of the game so far.
GTA 5 is better in every single imaginable way. I was playing watchdogs the other day and saw someone on a motorcycle. I hadn't seen a single NPC on a motorcycle since starting up the game. I shot the person and it was a hacker/invader. Small details are what's missing in this game. Again, go read the Kotaku review. I bought watchdogs to kill time until EA UFC.

Ser Goje

So how many yearly sequels are they gonna release for it? Assassin's Creed series was 6 in one generation, I think they can bring up to 10 with this one.

reddmyst

I'll probably get it once a GOTY edition is released. I am tempted to get the PC version, but I want to build me a new computer (which won't happen for a while).

So the fight is on with Destiny for top-selling new IP this year? This is setting the bar pretty high. It seems they'll even meet their terrifyingly lofty estimates but one would think they might need to actually get into the sales of a second release to make money on the IP. For that reason alone we'll likely see another. A win for Ubi though, truly.

Also a massive win for people who care about single-player games since this game was predominately marketed and sold as one, and a thumb in the eye to people who thought the downgrade and/or delay was going to result in death. Proof that people are fine not having the best of the best of the best technical prowess if a game is actually fun to play. Also proof that this is an awesome time of year to release a big game since you get virtually zero competition. One reason The Last Of Us kept up momentum as long as it did was because it was released in the standard drought period.

1.6M on the PS4 is very solid but not terribly surprising. 40%! Desn't that put it near-ish or over Titanfall's X1 sales? That would have to singe the morale at Microsoft and EA a bit as a point of pride if nothing else, though they should still be proud of their numbers with a new IP.

At 1.6 it's higher than TF launch month, and might be higher than the TF LTD. That exclusice marketing effect. And Sony didn't have to do anywhere near as much as MS did with TF

Top Bottom