• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We Should Have a Better Condom by Now. Here’s Why We Don’t." -Slate article

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article is several months old, but is a fascinating read. It's quite long; here's an excerpt:

The primary obstacle to getting a new non-latex condom to market, then and now, is the need for clinical trials. Latex condoms don’t have to be tested in human studies to get FDA approval—as long as a manufacturer can demonstrate that its new latex condom is “substantially equivalent” to an existing latex condom in terms of materials, length, width, and other physical specifications, that latex condom can be sold. But makers of “new material condoms” must demonstrate that their product performs comparably to latex when used by real, live sex partners.

Today, the protocol for a 1,000-use slippage and breakage study—the type of clinical condom trial required by the FDA for new condom designs—is well established. At the California Family Health Council, which has conducted dozens of condom acceptability trials, researchers usually enroll between 200 and 400 monogamous, STI-free heterosexual couples who are using a backup form of birth control, like the pill or an IUD. Each couple receives three to five commercially available latex condoms, and three to five of the new condom being tested. The condoms are unlabeled, and participants don’t know which condom they’re getting first (although when you’re comparing two condoms that look different—like latex and polyurethane—it’s obvious). The couples are instructed to use the condoms for vaginal intercourse and then individually write detailed reports about who put the condom on, which sexual positions they engaged in, how long the sex lasted, whether they used additional lubricant, whether they had an orgasm, and—crucially—whether the condom slipped off or broke during intercourse. The couples also attend detailed in-person interviews with researchers, and the man has to submit penis measurements. Each member of the couple usually receives $100 for his or her participation. All in all, a 1000-use condom performance study costs between $500,000 and $1 million.

But in the early 1990s, when McGlothlin and LIG wanted to test their polyurethane condom with humans, the FDA did not have guidelines in place. So the FDA improvised its regulation and labeling of the polyurethane condom, making a lot of mistakes along the way.

In spite of their niche popularity and excellent clinical trial results, the FDA challenged the acceptability of TheyFit condoms in December 2006, apparently having noticed—more than five years after clearing the condoms for sale—that some of the 55 sizes did not meet ASTM dimensional requirements. The smaller sizes, in particular, didn’t hold the requisite volume of air and water in the air-burst test and the water-leak test, because they were, well, smaller. Sadlo, who confirms Glickman’s account, was given 30 days to remove his condom from the market, and, after consulting with an attorney, complied. (“The FDA is unable to comment on why a manufacturer discontinued marketing a device,” the FDA spokesman told me when I tried to confirm Glickman and Sadlo’s story.)

Glickman was enormously frustrated by the experience. He had been trying for years to make money selling condoms, starting in the late-1980s, when, as a college student, he branded a batch of latex condoms with his school mascot, Jumbo the Elephant, and went from dorm room to dorm room selling them. For Glickman, TheyFit was an amazing opportunity to get people excited about using condoms. But the FDA didn’t see it that way. “They just saw their regulation,” says Glickman. In his view, the FDA “didn’t know how to change the regulation; they didn’t seem to care to want to change the regulation.”

In 2011, the international equivalent of the ASTM, called the International Standards Organization, finally settled on testing methods for a broader range of sizes. That same year, TheyFit began selling an expanded range of 95 sizes in the European Union. But the ASTM has been slow to change. In December 2013, when the ASTM subcommittee voted on expanding the size range allowed in the standard, everyone was in favor except for FDA representatives, citing concerns that small condoms might not fit over the mandrels used to administer the air-burst test, according to an ASTM committee member.

Extreme tl;dr: the FDA is too lazy to change their regulations and doesn't give a shit.

It's about time we get condoms that are better than the ones we currently have, made of latex. You would think that a product so popular and omnipresent would see constant innovation, but sadly, it's not the case.

Here's another interesting passage regarding politics:

Glickman believes that what happened to TheyFit shows that the FDA is unconcerned with how sexually active Americans actually have sex. Here’s more proof: The FDA does not sanction condoms for anal sex.

Latex condoms are not, and have never been, approved by the FDA for use during anal sex. Clinical trials comparing experimental condoms to existing latex condoms enroll only straight couples and instruct them to use the condoms for vaginal intercourse. (The commonly cited latex condom failure rate of 2 percent came out of these clinical trials.) When Marlowe and his colleagues at the FDA began trying to improve condom standards in the late 1980s and early 1990s, they looked at the scientific literature on the physics of sex and found that there had been virtually no studies of anal sex. “There is uncertainty as to the level of protection that condoms designed for use during VI [vaginal intercourse] can provide during AI [anal intercourse],” wrote the authors of a 1997 FDA review of the scientific literature on anal sex. Since that FDA review was written, American researchers have conducted only a handful of additional surveys of the condom experiences for people having anal sex, plus the clinical trial for TheyFit condoms, which studied breakage and slippage during both anal and vaginal intercourse. One of those surveys suggested that failure rates during anal sex are similar to those during vaginal sex—around 2 percent—which aligns with the results of a European trial. But in the TheyFit study, 7.4 percent of standard sized latex condoms failed during anal intercourse, versus 5.7 percent of fitted condoms. Meanwhile, a recently published analysis suggests that condoms are less effective against HIV when used by gay men than when used by straight couples. Clearly, more research is needed.

It is inconceivable that the effectiveness of latex condoms during a sex act practiced by an estimated one-third of Americans—the sex act associated with the highest risk of HIV transmission—is virtually unknown. HIV/AIDS, which in the 1980s was spread primarily by anal sex among gay men, is the reason the government started seriously regulating condoms in the first place. How could this happen? Ron Frezieres, a researcher at the California Family Health Council who helped test Avanti and develop the standard 1,000-use condom trial back in the 1990s (and another Gates grantee), thinks that the lack of research on anal sex is because condom manufacturers don’t want to be associated with gay sex in the public eye. “It’s a little political, because I don’t think the sponsors”—i.e., condom manufacturers—“necessarily want their name identified in publications that they’ve done this big anal research study,” Frezieres told me. “The FDA would love the information, and I also think the NIH would love the information, but they also don’t want to be known as funding the anal intercourse study.” Take a moment to imagine how Republicans in Congress might react if the NIH used taxpayer dollars to study the mechanics of anal sex.

BadAss2961

Looks like GAF doesn't use condoms.

I've never really given much thought to it, but it is interesting what little progress we've seen from such a widely used product.

Kanye

Banned
I stopped using condoms when I got out of high school. How many people can actually still be using these?

the protocol for a 1,000-use slippage and breakage study

Damnit.
Now I'm imaging something like the chair stress test machine you see at IKEA, except it's a featureless mannequin humping over and over again slowly..so very slowly...

Kenai

I stopped using condoms when I got out of high school. How many people can actually still be using these?

Well considering a lot more people are starting to be more open about their sexuality and things like HIV are still a very big problem within the LBTGQ community, I feel like we could stand to use some more research in improvement for those who want protection. Not to mention the amount of hetero sextimes where kids aren't a desired outcome (and other things). All it takes is one time or one condom fail.

Servbot24

Banned
Of my only two long term gfs, one was infertile and one was on pills. Can't imagine having to put on a condom every day. What would even be the point of sex anymore.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Yeah, back in the HS days sure I'd use one, but back then I would sleep with anyone. Now that I've matured I can judge who is smush safe.

Just saying, and it's not your looks or anything, but I prob wouldn't have sex with you.

But if you wanna see a movie hit me up.

Of my only two long term gfs, one was infertile and one was on pills. Can't imagine having to put on a condom every day. What would even be the point of sex anymore.

???

NimbusD

Lol, you make it sound like you have to put it on when you get dressed in the morning.

First , were can i enroll for such tests ?

I realy can't believe i still have to use a condom to have a safe intercourse. I cannot even fathom how advanced we are in so many areas yet such a simple , precious object is still so rudimentary. I fucking hate to use them . To buy them. To not forget to bring them. All for a lesser experience.

Yeah, back in the HS days sure I'd use one, but back then I would sleep with anyone. Now that I've matured I can judge who is smush safe.

You can just say you dont have any sex since high school. Which seems to be the case.

Mature and intelligent enough to outsmart STDs and pregnancy. Yep the science checks out boys. Condoms become useless once you turn 18.

People don't even know they have HIV til like 10 years after getting it
Ha....hahaha...haha. That's good, that's really good.

People not even being aware of when they have STD's alone puts that percentage down.

Whoops.

Hey, just wanna let you know, I actually am Kanye West.
Am I lying?
PS: I don't have HIV.

People cant just go and say things that arent true, right? That's gotta be like, illegal or something.

Lol, you make it sound like you have to put it on when you get dressed in the morning.

Wait I dont have to wear one to work? I at least have to put one on while playing sports, right?

Zombine

Banned
The sooner ya'll realize it's an alt that'll be a blip on the radar soon enough the more it'll begin to make sense.

In regards to the condoms, it's unfortunate that laziness is the reason why we haven't had more progress in this field.

Hazmat

The sooner ya'll realize it's an alt that'll be a blip on the radar soon enough the more it'll begin to make sense.

Yep.

Anyway, it's bizarre that condom manufacturers don't want to be associated with anal sex. If there's anything that all condom users can agree upon, it's that anal sex is a beautiful gift that everyone should be protected for.

Idba

Not yet, as long as you only smush people that you trust and communicate with this shouldn't be an issue.

Can you teach me your smush ways Kanye?

Anyways I can get me like 30 condoms a time for free whenever I want. That + not wanting stds and kids atm is enough for me to use condoms

Salsa

pill for men plz

would take

after a couple long relationships I really can't go back to condoms

I mean I do it, but I hate it, and I have a hard time finishing

xandaca

Probably just me since I've had problems in the past, but I literally cannot feel a damn thing using a condom. The lass might as well be humping my leg for all the sexual sensation I get when wearing one. Not only are they a pain to remember and put on in the heat of the moment, but they take away all friction as well. No surprise fewer and fewer people are using them despite the risks.

Idba

also werent there supposed to be a temporary vasectomy that was supposed to hit the market soon? I'd preorder that if possible

Pejo

FDA knows bareback is better

tumblr_nbiofrYtKz1ttx87to1_500.jpg

BigDug13

What's the excuse for condom makers in the rest of the world? The FDA doesn't prevent any of the other multitude of people to come up with a better material than latex for condoms. USA =/= world. We have polyurithane and lamb skin. Both have issues. Any others?

MrBigBoy

Geesh, these comments of people not using condoms because they just 'know' if someone doesn't have an STD... Please, grow up...

I've tried the polyurethane kind, and while they are much much thinner than latex and feel closer to no condom at all, they don't flex the same way as latex and crinkle up a little sort of like trash bag plastic would. (Not that I've ever used a trash bag as a condom, just commenting on the way the plastic flexes)

Also: AFAIK condoms agent preferred during anal by most because it becomes uncomfortable and the lube dissipates quicker than vaginal, especially considering one orafice can produce it's own extra 'lube' and the other cannot.

Idba

Geesh, these comments of people not using condoms because they just 'know' if someone doesn't have an STD... Please, grow up...

you and your gf could just get tested and find out if you need condoms even though I would have broken up with her if I have to use a rubber for the rest of my life (with her)

XenodudeX

If you get tested regularly, HIV should show up 3-5 months after the infection

And I'm completely in favour of using condoms always, even with the pill. I know I do.

Don't you mean weeks? There are tests out there that can detect HIV within 2-6 weeks after being exposed

It's only then you wait 3 months to test again.

Kinokou

Better alternatives are sorely needed, but it's not like condoms are the only option since a variety of male "pills" are in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom