• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"We Should Have a Better Condom by Now. Here’s Why We Don’t." -Slate article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mature and intelligent enough to outsmart STDs and pregnancy. Yep the science checks out boys. Condoms become useless once you turn 18.

To be fair condoms are a pretty terrible method to prevent pregnancy. As a secondary method it's fine, but if it's the only thing you use well don't count on not having a baby.

I remember a study that rated the chances of pregnancy for every contraception method over a 10 year span and condoms very slightly better than pulling out, but still something like 30% chance of getting pregnant at least once in that period, while stuff like the pill was well under 1%.

So if contraception is your only objective in a monogamous relationship, then condoms are most definitely not your best bet.

If you like to sleep around then yeah, there doesn't seem to be anything better to prevent STDs at the moment (though I'm curious about the actual success rate of condoms over a long period of time on that as well).

Prep for HIv. Apparently it has a high chance of killing the virus if taken within 72 hours.

That would be PEP. And yeap, pretty helpful. A friend of mine lost his virginity doing bareback. The dude promised and swore to him he wasn't HIV+. I still urged my friend to go get PEP just in case. Two weeks later the dude he had sex with told him he got tested and was positive. Guess communication's 100% protection doesn't work with anal? Lol.

PrEP as in Truvada is helpful and almost as effective as a condom. But still, if you have bareback anal, prepare yourself for a nasty urinal tract infection.

Glickman believes that what happened to TheyFit shows that the FDA is unconcerned with how sexually active Americans actually have sex. Here’s more proof: The FDA does not sanction condoms for anal sex.

Latex condoms are not, and have never been, approved by the FDA for use during anal sex. Clinical trials comparing experimental condoms to existing latex condoms enroll only straight couples and instruct them to use the condoms for vaginal intercourse.
This isn't that surprising. The main use of condoms is to prevent against unwanted pregnancy (and were used that way for centuries before we even knew what STIs were), and so straight couples using them for vaginal intercourse is what would be tested. There are plenty of STIs that condoms happily prevent as a byproduct, but the FDA can't have a "protects against STIs" test because condoms aren't even designed to protect against all STIs. (Which is why the labels can say "reduces the chances of blah blah blah") Herpes and crabs being the two most ready examples of STIs that can and do pass among partners who are using condoms.

I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying the FDA doesn't need to get its act together, but it shouldn't be surprising that the FDA tests what it does.

Kinokou

Have they come out with a pill to defend against HIV or gonorrhea?

The clean sheet pill might have some impact on HIV transmission and other that transmit via semen.

There have been claims that RISUG would have an effect on HIV transmission, that are likely to be untrue IIRC. And the in development American version, vasalgel will likely not affect HIV transmissions. You can google yourself to this one if you are interested in looking into it more.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The story about why TheyFit was banned in the US is incredible.
Tiny condoms hold less volume of air?

http://postimage.org/
It's frightening that people that stupid are responsible for the health of hundreds of millions of people.

The story about why TheyFit was banned in the US is incredible.
Tiny condoms hold less volume of air?

http://postimage.org/
It's frightening that people that stupid are responsible for the health of hundreds of millions of people.

I know. It enrages me to no end. And what's worse is that the FDA's stupidity has ripples outside the US because it's part of that International Health organization.

sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom