• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Websites that were super popular and relevant, then faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of you old timers remind me how facebook overtook myspace? I had a fb when it was strictly college emails but I can't seem to remember how it outpaced myspace.

OMG I just remember I had a Friendster account too.

MySpace was never popular internationally, it was a US-only thing. It must have diffused into the US, since keeping in touch with old friends is one of the primary uses of social networks. And MySpace was only ever for children and teenagers really.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
What was the name of that gore website around back in the (I think) mid to late 90's? It had a lot of snuff type images and shit like that. I remember peeking through my fingers at it to see what the fuss was about, totally gross but it was massive back then, seemed everyone knew about it, probably due to controversy etc. Pretty redundant now, that stuff seeps all round the web.

Ogrish? Which turned into LiveLeak.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Doesn't reflect reality. The site is still growing

fb-mau-720x468.png

Phone Apps.

Facebook as a whole might have more users but the number of people actually logging into the site could be going down.

I just realized rpgamer.com still exists!

And there was another site I used to visit in that same era. Jeremy Parish also wrote for it sometimes... three letter acryonym.. the G _ _ ... help me out here guys.

Gaming alliance something maybe?

Yes!! Amazing how you can just forget something like that. I used to visit it regularly back in like 99-2000. And it still exists, huh.

Edit: Fascinating stuff about RPGamer from Wikipedia.

RPGamer was founded in April 1995 by Andrew Vestal as the UnOfficial SquareSoft HomePage (UOSSHP), a fan site devoted to the games of Square. In mid-1997 it changed its name to Square.Net and had the distinction of being hosted on Square's own webserver for several months. Then, in late-1997, Andrew Vestal closed the site due to two reasons. The main one was a large amount of spam, but also this unwanted attention lead Square USA's management on a path that found the site was on their servers without their knowledge. Square expressed their discontent with the situation by removing all the Square.Net files from their servers.

Vestal handed the content of the site to Mikel Tidwell and helped resurrect it on March 11, 1998 as RPGamer. The new site was founded to cover RPGs specifically and immediately expanded to cover companies other than Square. By the same token, all content related to Square's non-RPG titles was removed.

I remember when it was the UOSSHP, wow. Andrew Vestal later made the GIA, and is seemingly still writing there.

terrisus

Used to live on N64.com, PlanetGamecube.com, Nintendojo.com, and then the IGN Boards.

Miss things like user-submitted questions and answers, dedicated rumors sections, etc.

My bookmark for NintendoWorldReport is still PlanetGamecube.com (which still redirects to their current site).

terrisus

Not a website, but AOL Instant Messanger.

Everyone I know used to use it. Now it's just part of the internet's past.

I still use it >.>

Fun fact: You can send texts to US phones via AOL IM.
Just add as a screen name "+16174824769" (or whatever. Without the quotes, but with the +) and give it whatever display name you want.

StayDead

ebaumsworld and the controvesy starring that website was kinda hilarious. They used to just rip other peoples work from newgrounds and albinoblacksheep and claim it was their own. I wonder if that guy ever got sued.

EDIT: I just opened the website and it's literally buzzfeed. Why did buzzfeed have to exist. I don't want to see top 10 lists of lists.

I still use it >.>

Fun fact: You can send texts to US phones via AOL IM.
Just add as a screen name "+16174824769" (or whatever. Without the quotes, but with the +) and give it whatever display name you want.

Haha that's interesting. I might just log on to my account and try that out. I'll see if any of my buddies are online :)

Bumpers

XFire, back before friend support on Steam it was the only way for me to communicate with friends whilst in-game. The social aspect of the site at the time was quite good too.

Rydeen

Destructoid.

I was so deep in the community, but it's a shadow of its former self.
A big problem with Destructoid is that it's very "cliquey" when it comes to blogs and selected entries. Community members could write an amazing dissertation on the intricacies of some obscure Famicom game that was extremely compelling and it'd get one comment, whereas there'd be an article with a clickbait-y "controversial" title and pictures of girls cosplaying as video game characters and it'd be posted on the front page by an editor with hundreds of comments. Stuff like that burned me out on it, it didn't feel very welcoming.

Shadders

I don't know if it was just UK, but FriendsReunited was massive for a spell, I remember it was the first site that really got my parents sat at a PC for a length of time.

Miker

Is it not relevant any more? Honest question. I've been going to gamefaqs for walkthroughs for as long as I can remember, and I still go there for text-based walkthroughs first before resorting to YouTube or anything else. I suspect that it's no longer quite as dominant due to YouTube and the quantity of gaming content available there, but I have no way of measuring that.

hitsugi

Everyone sucks for not mentioning Illucia, although perhaps it wasn't as popular as I perceived it to be as a kid.

Apt101

I miss Slashdot circa 2004. Used to be the best place to get breaking tech news of the obscure and niche nature. The microcode of some new storage array has a novel technique of recovering from write-through mode rapidly by temporarily not mirroring in cache? 800+ comments of of insightful discussion sprinkled with some of the best absurdist trolling the Internet has ever seen. It's a pale shadow of its former self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom