• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

Caayn

Sony needs to do what Steam did and require a $5 purchase on PSN store before enabling friend requests and messaging features. Because you need PS Plus to play online now it shouldn't be a problem.
You can perfectly use the PS4 without ever spending a dime in the PS store. Thanks to physical copies and F2P games that don't require PS+ to play online.

angelic

Banned
I had an inbox flood a few months ago, took me an hour to delete them all...psn was unusable as they kept coming. my advice, turn off messaging from non-friends.

Rellik

I had an inbox flood a few months ago, took me an hour to delete them all...psn was unusable as they kept coming. my advice, turn off messaging from non-friends.

Had mine turned off since the beginning and it's peaceful. ✌️

DocSeuss

Getting a bunch of these liking my screenshots on XBL too. It's weird. Only started in the past month or so.

Either that or a bunch of impossibly attractive women really like random game clips

This happened the other day. When they asked how old I am I said 15, and never got another response.

I got one for "Free Madden MUT Coins" too. I'd change my settings to not allow strangers to send me a PM, but then I'd be missing out on tilted hate mail.

Harmen

You can perfectly use the PS4 without ever spending a dime in the PS store. Thanks to physical copies and F2P games that don't require PS+ to play online.

Wait, the f2p titles don't require PS plus? Most of those are online right?

sinkfla87

Could this have something to do with linking profiles to Facebook? I haven't used Facebook in years so I'm out of the loop but I remember fake profiles and invites popping up then lol.

I'm inclined to suspect that this is happening because the official PlayStation website was updated with messaging, friends list / management, etc. a while back.

That makes it susceptible to scripts that can utilize accounts (either pre-existing or generated) to blast off messages like this.

OYuIg6a.jpg

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Same thing happened to me yesterday, although I didn't respond.

I mean I did buy one of the P5 costume packs, so I am clearly stupid with my money, but not this stupid.

Did whoever created that bot think it would be hot to program it to talk dirty to you in the style of a 13 year old girl? Christ. It's a half-step removed from Katie the penguin of d00m. lolz!!!!!

yurinka

My US PSN account from time to time receives messages like "lulz free PSN codes etc with links". I delete and report them. I think I never received them in my European or JP accounts.

I think I only chatted a couple of times with random people through messages back in the PS3 era, with people I met in Home while checking for new free stuff.

Opt1kon_

May Sound Like an Elitist thing, but I don't speak to lvl 1s W| No Trophies what so ever lol those are the NOFs and not Chatbots lol

KYZR

A colleague of mine was telling me he got one of these a few weeks ago. He reported the bot, but said he later got a warning message back about abusing the report system, and that the messages in question didn't violate any of Playsation's ToS.

A colleague of mine was telling me he got one of these a few weeks ago. He reported the bot, but said he later got a warning message back about abusing the report system, and that the messages in question didn't violate any of Playsation's ToS.

Lmao that's stupid..

Sony needs to do what Steam did and require a $5 purchase on PSN store before enabling friend requests and messaging features. Because you need PS Plus to play online now it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. I've not been gaming much lately, but every time I go on my ps4, I've got random messages about free psn credit.

Getting old fast.

Opt1kon_

I'm inclined to suspect that this is happening because the official PlayStation website was updated with messaging, friends list / management, etc. a while back.

That makes it susceptible to scripts that can utilize accounts (either pre-existing or generated) to blast off messages like this.

OYuIg6a.jpg

pretty much figured this as well a while back when I was helping a friend get the new update for the HDD Exchange

I get random invites sometimes from gamers who have earned 0 trophies. I figured it is spam and move on. There is no one on PSN that has 1 Gamerscore and zero trophies. NO ONE!

MadMod

Yep happened on my gf's account too. Random message last week. Has there recently been a huge influx of them or something.

I think ill set message only from friends on hers, but I do enjoy the rage messages i get from random people sometimes haha.

Morinaga

Although on a technological level, this is pretty impressive. It's mindblowing how fast AI is advancing, becoming more and more sophisticated, more natural in their simulation of engagement. All at an increasingly faster rate.

Computers have long already passed the Turing Test, yet no doubt, still have a ways to go. Still, that's crazy...

Well I dont think its that impressive, there are some people cant pass the Turing test. To be honest its probably more likey someone from a call centre who's next email is purpoting to be from the king of Nigeria.

Top Bottom