• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

mortal

Gold Member
Well I dont think its that impressive, there are some people cant pass the Turing test. To be honest its probably more likey someone from a call centre who's next email is purpoting to be from the king of Nigeria.
It's impressive as most of this happened mostly in a 20-year span, and we have yet to even crack the surface. OP was actually fooled for a moment and going by those screenshots I can see why.

Got hit by the same shit last week. Indulged, but bucked at the cc. Was legit curious, because I had never seen this before on Psn.

Some of the response to me differ slightly though, so it's not exactly a bot, I think. Like the spammer said they had just got back from spring vacation, in may, which I thought was humorous.

dukeoflegs

I got a message from a boy about a month ago, noticed no picture, games played, and deleted the message.
Last night I got a message that I'm in some group chat for free stuff if I follow a shortened web address. Unfollowed that group chat. Checked my messaging settings and it was set to anyone could message me, I don't remember changing that, but changed it back to only friends.

i got one of these the night before my PSN account got hacked, i'm quite sure it's a ploy to ultimately try and get some security info out of people.

Had one the other day. Word for word exact on their end. Normally not giving my age out to complete strangers like that, I just told them I was an old fart. When they gave me their a/s/l like it was the 90's, and asked what I was doing, I just followed up with "reporting an obvious spam bot". And reported I did. Good times.

Wozman23

I'm a lonely single guy, so I'm gonna have fun with this if I get a message.

But not the intended fun. I'm gonna try to derail the conversation to talk about kangaroos, discuss how to murder people, and try to get it to spout racial slurs.

Gotta see just how good the bots are at empathizing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Logged onto PSN for the first time in abit just now an was greeted to one of these messages x.x

How do ya block/report people on PS4? Its simple enough on PS3 but I'm having the hardest time figuring out how on the new console. Wouldn't be a problem for me to boot up my PS3 an do it from there but it would be good ta know for the future.

BigEmil

Logged onto PSN for the first time in abit just now an was greeted to one of these messages x.x

How do ya block/report people on PS4? Its simple enough on PS3 but I'm having the hardest time figuring out how on the new console. Wouldn't be a problem for me to boot up my PS3 an do it from there but it would be good ta know for the future.
Goto message, press Options button click Report.
Or goto their profile, click on the 3dots should be a report there or press options in their profile

Goto message, press Options button click Report.
Or goto their profile, click on the 3dots should be a report there or press options in their profile
A colleague of mine was telling me he got one of these a few weeks ago. He reported the bot, but said he later got a warning message back about abusing the report system, and that the messages in question didn't violate any of Playsation's ToS.
So, you can be banned from PSN by reporting too many spam bots?

BigEmil

So, you can be banned from PSN by reporting too many spam bots?
I think if you report too often in a small time period then you have to be cautious but i doubt you'll get many separate chatbots to you that quick, when you report them there's also an optional textbox you can write details in just say it's a chatbot

MTC100

Banned
On an ethical level, this is annoyingly lame.

Although on a technological level, this is pretty impressive.

Don't give them too much credit, bots like this one will never pass the touring test. -At least not for another decade or two, they just react in a very limited way to input(by imput I mean even a simpe "?" or even a blank message), using set sentences with the ultimate goal to make the user click their link and be scammed.

@OP: As English is not my mother tongue: What does "only 30" mean though. Did you mean that you're only 30 and by that, still young and active or what? ^^ -also wow, 30 and still studying?

Wozman23

I had a bot message me tonight, so I decided to play with it. I thought it might have shown promise by trying to key in on the term "body," but then it seemed like it didn't care about me one bit.
FwnqMwP.png

14ZsbKS.png

qyE08ID.png

rcps1kB.png

b0ySFZn.png

wSuLMNy.png

Sitris

I had a bot message me tonight, so I decided to play with it. I thought it might have shown promise by trying to key in on the term "body," but then it seemed like it didn't care about me one bit.
This is probably the best way to respond to bots, absolutely hilarious. Top marks to you haha laughed the whole way through!

Wow I just got added by someone into a chat like that on PSN.

Figured it was a spammer or something as they were level 1 so I deleted them.

It's funny seeing this after the prior comments in this thread about advanced bot AI. Looks like they're just using the same tricks that advertisers and scammers have been doing for ages

deim0s

Got two bot messages on my non-US account and promptly gtfo/deleted the group. Should've reported it as spam to PSN.

Nydius

Wow I just got added by someone into a chat like that on PSN.

Figured it was a spammer or something as they were level 1 so I deleted them.

Yep, had that happen about a month ago. Some level 1 account added me and a whole bunch of others to a group with a message about cheap PSN cards. Reported as spam, left the group, set my messages to friends only.

Have heard from others on my friends list and Destiny clan that they're getting these group spams frequently, almost always the same scam about cheap PSN cards.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So it seems the only answer it reacts to is the age to its question "how old are you".
We know that it stops responding if you state something below 18, and will engage in the usual nonsense if above. I wonder what would happen if you say something else rather than age...

Massive cringe isn't it.

Massive fuckin cringe, it got worse when the other dude posted his and it was the exact same messages haha.

Sorry OP.

hetchi

This happened to my friend yesterday night. We initially thought our other friend was trolling. I sure hope this isn't more of a problem for us all.

You know what would be cool? If that Half Life 3 bot from reddit and similar stuff was part of these lame chatbots.

You know what I'm talking about? Like the bot that used to show up on reddit whenever someone mentioned HL3, to tell you that because you mentioned it the game is now delayed by 1 month and the expected release date is (the date totaled up to that point).

Stalk

Oh. This happened to me as well, I didn't let them chat though. Once they got to the whole "How old are you" line I had the old stranger danger alarm going off.

Sevenfold

Don't have the means, environment, or the time. That cracked me up OP.
There's something weirdly satisfying about getting one over on bots. I think it may be foreshadowing oO

This was great :D

ChrisD

"I make Elephant noises"

Thanks for the laugh with that whole trade!

had 2 of these in the last week.

both same messages.

i reported and sony responded that it dosen't breach their code of conduct under "spam"

thanks SONY!!! making psn a worse place to be everyday.

Svejk

Yes. This just happened to me a few days ago. I blocked it, but this is not cool at all.

Please... anyone on here have a suggestion on how to get Sony to filter this crap? I thought you had to accept a friend request before getting a message from anyone... is there a setting that blocks anyone that's not on your friends list?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
As someone that is also 30, this exchange made me chuckle out loud while I was reading through the screenshots. What a strange response.

OP was thirsty until the very end. He fools no one.
Uhh... what? He was just being polite. Not like he tripped over himself and acted desperate. Sometimes people on GAF are a little too snarky for their own good.

Weird, am I the only one that's been getting stuff like this for several months now on PSN? Once or twice a week I'll get added to a chat trying to link some shady code site.

Top Bottom