• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

Just got my first one yesterday
(hadn't logged on for months)
. Didn't expect it to come to a gaming network this easily. Oh well, Sony has their work cut out for them.

I've gotten similar messages from two random "players" recently. I did not engage in conversation. They also had no friends, or recently played games, etc. so I just blocked them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok so this is definitely a widespread issue then. I wonder if Sony has already commented on this (or are aware of it?) and are planning to to do something against it.

LAA

I've had 2 bots add me in the last few hours. What should I ask them?

I literally just had 2 add me one after the other immediately. Just reporting, blocking and leaving now.
Other shame in this I feel is they're taking up a bunch of PSN names.

Alchemist

OP really had a full-blown conversation with a bot lol smh

I just received 2 and immediately left and declined the friend requests

itshutton

I accused one of being a bot. It then asked "what's a bot" and then when I explained it stopped messaging me. Problem solved.

MajorTom

Had three of them today and friend requests from them.

I feel like there’s another one whenever I’m on my ps4. I definitely get a few a week at least. Something needs to be done about it

i think im chatting with one right now, its hilarious.

like 5 messages in "she" is already like hey lol webcam shows are pretty fun i freaking love it wanna join??

i said im 15 in my first message, she is guilty of something right? goddamn pedo bots.

if i get a webcam show link im just gonna complain angrily that it doesnt work on my browser lol.

Demoskinos

Got two friend requests today from completely random accounts with no games attached to them at all. Guessing they were bots....

HardRojo

Happened twice to me and, well, you're a chatty one OP. I simply told one of them "Goobye freak" when they asked my age and they replied with a "why so rude?", I blocked the second one immediately because the same "looked up online" shit came up. No fucking wat I'll bother typing as much as you OP.

todesengel1432

Neo Member
So I just received a random "hi xox" message from a random person on PSN. Naturally curious I answered and a semblance of a normal conversation followed. Until it dawned on me that I was talking to a bot.

How did I know it was a bot? The conversation didn't evolve correctly once I showed signs of pushback. Like I said, the conversation started normally, until the bot started mentioning that it does private cam shows. I said I don't like watching camgirls, but the bot just prattles on and even giving me a link (didn't click on it obviously).

I made screens of the conversation so I can prove this really happened, but honestly the last place I would expect to find these kinds of chatbots was on PSN.

UPDATE:
Screenshots of how you can recognize a bot profile, it's real easy!

Screenshots on how a typical bot conversation would go (obviously links have been censored).

Anyone else had this kind of "experience" on PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, etc.?

Oh, my goodness I'm not the only one receiving spam. I think they are targeting accounts with considerable amount of games, screw them I won't t give them access to my account.. I highly suggest all of you be on the lookup for any changes to your PSN account.

Ehmm, guys I strongly advise not to engage in conversation with the bots. If you reply, they know the account you use is active and you may receive even more spam from other bot accounts they just probably keep generating.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm having trouble reporting them through the app. It only gives you an option to report their name, I did that and the follow up response is that they found nothing wrong. Couldn't seem to be able to report the actual conversation.

I'm having trouble reporting them through the app. It only gives you an option to report their name, I did that and the follow up response is that they found nothing wrong. Couldn't seem to be able to report the actual conversation.

Yeah, I would avoid reporting them for now. The reporting system sucks and could end up getting YOU penalized instead. smh

LopezDeLaGuerra

Neo Member
Dude, I was getting the same thing. Except when I blocked the bot, it kept messaging me with other accounts. As if it were continuing the conversation from the previous account.

Fisty

If you press and hold on the actual words of the bot message, you can choose More, with Report as one of the options. It will send the messages from the bot to them with an option to mark as spam

Top Bottom