• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

Panzon

So I just received a random "hi xox" message from a random person on PSN. Naturally curious I answered and a semblance of a normal conversation followed. Until it dawned on me that I was talking to a bot.

How did I know it was a bot? The conversation didn't evolve correctly once I showed signs of pushback. Like I said, the conversation started normally, until the bot started mentioning that it does private cam shows. I said I don't like watching camgirls, but the bot just prattles on and even giving me a link (didn't click on it obviously).

I made screens of the conversation so I can prove this really happened, but honestly the last place I would expect to find these kinds of chatbots was on PSN.

UPDATE:
Screenshots of how you can recognize a bot profile, it's real easy!

Screenshots on how a typical bot conversation would go (obviously links have been censored).

Anyone else had this kind of "experience" on PSN, Xbox Live, Steam, etc.?
I had no idea this thread existed but this same bot sent me the same exact messages a few days ago. Luckily I don't really give strangers my time and was able to quickly notice this wasn't an actual person talking to me. Crazy and annoying

Raiden

Banned
Sony, can we please have a privacy setting for 'Friends or people I've played with'* thanks

* don't wanna lose those salty rage quit fighting game messages

This is the reason i play multiplayer. If someone tells me up a faggot i know i played a good game.

Got a couple of messages as Well but i never bothered responding, because let's be honest if they're really that bored you would think they'll bothered updating their blank profile a bit.

Bishop89

ive been getting them recently...

Just saying 'Hi' or 'hey'.

I dont need to worry about my password or anything like that do i?

Was watching a movie with my girlfriend and got 3 friend requests in a row. They were all spambots.

Don't know how they're getting this info, I don't even really post online or play online ever.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe Sony didn't resolve this because they can count these bots towards their PSN active accounts

rickz0rz

Neo Member
This never happens on Xbox Live anyone know why?

Definitely is happening on Xbox. Got 2 within the span of a week, very similar messages as to what as reported on this thread. Realized what the first was and ignored it after a day, and completely ignored the second. They both disappeared without me reporting them, so someone else must've.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
If you press and hold on the actual words of the bot message, you can choose More, with Report as one of the options. It will send the messages from the bot to them with an option to mark as spam

Thanks, I'll try that if it happens again.

NeoRausch

3xslz.jpg

hvsvo.jpg

pfsqm.jpg

I miss her so much! 😢

Blocked and reported

Venom.

Count yourselves lucky. For a while I was getting included in group messages from random persons offering to sell PSN cards with a link, the sender would then remove themselves from the group. I reported these a few times to Sony - but I kept get messages back saying they saw nothing wrong and that if I did it too many times I was abusing the system and might face punishment! So I stopped. You can turn off unsolicited messages.

I would like to know how someone is making a bot work with PSN.

Zen Mu

I got a couple messages as well from 2 random no trophy having psn users. I just left the conversation, blocked them and moved on.

So sony have no say on what they are gonna do about this.

Just know they re not breaking the code of conduct so they wont do anything.

They all started appearing since the app came out to phones, you can search users (even half a username)

Their script will just go through all the names after they search i guess.

But honestly who is falling for them??

Please remember to use the REPORT function (only available on the app not the ps4 for some reason)

score01

Got my first two messages yesterday. A hi from one and a what you up to from another. No trophies on any of the accounts. Blocked and reported.

This is honestly getting pretty annoying, but I'm guessing there is not much Sony can do on there end since it's their mobile app. Guess I'll just have to set my message preferences to friends only.

Diablos

Yep. It's happening to me as well. Twice so far.

It's basically the same thing, some kind of greeting followed by something like "I was bored so I found your profile lolol!"

Not sure how to combat this, but maybe requiring an initial wallet funding amount before you can use features on your account might be an effective deterrent.

Rellik

This is honestly getting pretty annoying, but I'm guessing there is not much Sony can do on there end since it's their mobile app. Guess I'll just have to set my message preferences to friends only.

Surprised more people didn't do this when getting their PS4. It's one of the first things I did. Never had a spam message and never will.

coiler

Third time in one month. Sony can't get round the shit they have already and now they got a new thing to fix...

Anung

Un Rama
I got a torrent of these so I just disabled all messages from people who aren't on my friends list. Seems to work out fine.

pixelation

I keep getting more and more of this. I never open them... i know all of my PSN friends IRL. So unless someone tells me that they're gonna add me i won't open the message.

terrible

Banned
I've been getting an excessive amount of these since early July. I would just set it so only friends can message me but then I'd miss out on all the hilarious whining hate mail I get from Battlefield players after they lose :(

Wadiwasi

Banned
Just got my first one, went ahead and changed the privacy settings b/c I don't play online all that much.

These attempts seem kinda creepy to me and I don't know why lol.

Chille

just a small heads up if you do ban people and ever purchase dragon quest heroes II it seems the game glitchs and wont allow you to play online if you got anyone in your ban list on PSN

Alienfan

I've been getting a new bit message almost every couple of days too. Weirdest part is I've never played online and I don't have any psn friends. How did they find me?!

I've been getting a new bit message almost every couple of days too. Weirdest part is I've never played online and I don't have any psn friends. How did they find me?!

I got one just recently that said, "hi"...... I knew immediately that it was a bot. Not many folks open a message with "hi" anymore from my pov, :p It is weird since I have my profile set to friends only along with messages, and I haven't even been online for a month now..... These bots are getting out of hand!

Top Bottom