• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward more to? Starfield, FF 16 or Zelda TOTK?

What are you looking forward more to?

• Starfield

Votes: 158 33.7%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 164 35.0%
  • Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 147 31.3%

• Total voters

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Pretty interesting how Zelda is widely accepted to be the most anticipated game, yet here, it's in 3rd place. Behind a Final Fantasy game.
reading wow GIF by Mayfly

People still yearn for games with a strong narrative and character focus. More focus on the journey of characters in a new world and politics. Many grew up on games like these since the PS1 days. This is why I play games, rather than spending time on repetitive gameplay systems.
I understand that I guess I’m just looking at it in terms of like - ff16 is a big game no doubt - but like it doesn’t seem like a flagship game the two others are. Like if it was Spider-Man 2 or last of us 3 then I’d feel like that’s more the same level as the other two

Pretty interesting how Zelda is widely accepted to be the most anticipated game, yet here, it's in 3rd place. Behind a Final Fantasy game.
Final Fantasy is probably not the most relevant series these days since XIII but in my opinion Zelda and Final Fantasy are among the most important series in gaming. I'd put them in the top 5 along with Mario.

Little Mac

Starfield wins I guess. Hoping it's something special. TBH I haven't been excited for a FF in almost a decade now. And I'm not going to get excited for, or buy, a Nintendo game until they release a new console.

salva

FF: Meh
TotK: I'm only just resuming and finishing BOTW now. Previously stopped playing once I got to Ganon... other than some new mechanics, TotK looks too similar to play so soon for me...
Starfield: The last gameplay reveal and no space-to-planet flight killed my hype. Will wait and see how it looks at the June reveal

So I guess none at this point.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I think I'm most curious about Starfield. Bethesda has been chasing this game as their vision for what feels like forever, and I'm dying to see if the result was worth it. Given how long we've had to wait on a new Elder Scrolls, it had better be amazing.

That said, I'm most sure of Zelda. Even with its flaws, BotW knocked my socks off. The way you could interact with the sprawling world and interconnectedness of all its systems was so refreshing, and this one looks even more wide open in that respect. I can't wait to break into it and start messing around. Thank goodness it's almost here.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That said, I'm most sure of Zelda. Even with its flaws, BotW knocked my socks off. The way you could interact with the sprawling world and interconnectedness of all its systems was so refreshing, and this one looks even more wide open in that respect. I can't wait to break into it and start messing around. Thank goodness it's almost here.
When I played it, I just played it, there was no internet back then (j/k) so I didn't really dive deep into exploring what I could do with the world. I mostly played vanila.

Now though, after seeing everything you could do in BotW I think my approach to TotK will be way more playful and experimental.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
No PS5, so by default, Tears of the Kingdom. I am looking forward to Starfield, but I want to see more, before I commit finances.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Looking forward to FFVII Rebirth more than FFXVI personally even though XVI will be great.

I think it’s Zelda for me out of that group. Switch hardware ain’t shit, but Nintendo seems to be going all in on BOTW’s formula (which was already great to begin with)

For Nintendo to have the galls to give it a $70 next gen price tag (in comparison to 2 ACTUAL next gen titles lol) should tell you they’re confident in reaching those expectations.

Spider-Man 2 however… that’s my real #1 this year. It will be what was demonstrated years ago during Sony’s next gen showcase and better from every aspect over the ps4 2018 version.

GenericUser

Zelda seems to be a really enjoyable game and I'm a Final Fantasy fan since I played Final Fantasy 7 back in the 90s, but Starfield is one league above these two titles. At least for me.

Looking forward to FFVII Rebirth more than FFXVI personally even though XVI will be great.
Really? What did you think about the first part of the FF7 remake?

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Easily Zelda, the sequel to a game largely considered as the best of its decade.

BOTW managed to be both a masterpiece and a deeply flawed game. If Nintendo is able to address some of these flaws, we're in for something truly special.

1) FFXVI
2) Zelda
3) Starfield

All pretty exciting titles, but I decided on the basis of my preferences: Story, minute-to-minute gameplay, production values...
Zelda has always been inventive, ingenious and fun to play, but it offers me no interesting plot, nor characters. Starfield belongs to a genre where gameplay mechanics are generally mediocre, but where the richeness of the uninverse, options, side quests and customization, allows for an ever-evolving experience. FF strikes a good balance, while promising a very good level of polish (if I were to bet, I'd say much closer to Zelda than Starfield, though I could end up being pleasantly surprised by the latter, seeing how long Bethesda has been working on it).

Iced Arcade

Starfield because I don't have a fuck to give for FF16 and don't own a switch to play Zelda.

That being said, I have no doubt that Zelda is the best of the 3.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Halfo infinite isn't really relevant, I'm genuinely surprised that Zelda isn't the most anticipated title of the year here which is how it seems to me everywhere else.
I'll say it again, this forum is more old school and have a deep focus on the GFX RTS OMG stuff more than innovative gameplay. Most of the posts I see here focus on that in almost every gaming discussion. All the shit that people saw in the last Zelda trailer and you still had people say "ugh, that ground texture, only 30fps, not 4K?!" *faints backwards to fainting sofa, clutches pearls*

Sakura

Starfield I guess. I think it has the highest chance of being the most disappointing, but also has the highest potential to surprise me.
I liked BotW, but I don't know how excited I am for more of that.
FFXVI looks cool, but it also doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy game. I'd be more excited for a new Dragon Quest to be honest.

Dr. Suchong

Probably Starfield.
Elder scrolls in Space, what's not to like?
Plus I'll get to relinquish that paranoia of my Series X not working, after not turning it on for what seems like the best part of a year.
Two birds with one stone and all that.

Godot25

Banned
Tbh, none of them
Breath of the Wild broke me with weapon degradation and I don't expect things to be different with TotK. I have no interest of trying FF XVI after few tries to play previous FF games.
And Starfield? I don't like BGS RPG games and I didn't complete Skyrim or Fallout games from them. But it's sci-fi and I like sci-fi. So I guess I will try Starfield. I don't think it will be my cup of tea and I'm not particularly looking forward of playing that game, but I will at least try it if my love for sci-fi will overshadow BGS jank.

Personally more curious about Diablo 4, Armored Core, The Last of Us multiplayer thingie, Alan Wake II and Spider-Man 2.

But if I had to pick I would say Starfield, although FF16 is not looking bad either. And Zelda, yea, probably awesome as well.

Goddamn, what a year.. even if the next 3 years are bone dry I would still have plenty to play from 2023

GymWolf

Gold Member
Widely accepted by who?

Bethesda fans are waiting for skyrim in space since forever, there is huge hype for that one aswell.

And ff16 has looked the like most promising ff main title in more than a decade...

They are all hugely hyped games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Starfield I can actually say I’m looking forward to it. I can go for a meaty space exploration adventure, with first person shooting.

Zelda would be next. Im hoping it’s improved over BotW, which didn’t blow me away the way it did others.

Diablo 4 should be on the list as that’s easily my top choice.

Kenpachii

FF hasn't been relevent since the PS2 days
Starfield looks like a no man sky expansion.
Zelda is the only game i am looking out for because botw was great, only worry about the game is the crafting department, hate crafting in games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bethesda (my all-time favorite studio) with their first new IP in 25 years and it's in my favorite genre, SciFi. No question it's Starfield.

I really do not like Japanese games, but Zelda is a whole different story. The first game I ever played was the Legend of Zelda and I absolutely loved BotW so I am really, really looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom.

I loathe Final Fantasy games and wouldn't play it if I got paid.
Ff14 has fat cats tho

2cd2f3cb5bb4ecca62b3d3e0d8b5084020599895eaa6bee05d65c120c186d320_m_detail.jpg

Not super excited for any of them, but I’m hoping Starfield surprises me and is better than Bethesda’s last few games.

I got kinda burnt out on open world Zelda with BotW, so TotK is a “wait for sale” for me, especially at $70. Not that it’ll go on sale anytime soon because Nintendo, but I can wait to play it anyways.

Never cared about FF and don’t have a PS5 anyways, so I guess that’s at the bottom of my list.

Bragr

Banned
How is FF16 winning? I’m looking forward to it for sure but I had no idea people put it on the same level as a Zelda title that’s the sequel to one of the best games ever released - or the first new Bethesda rpg in like 10 years
This board is very Sony-heavy. Any Sony game would lead.

My pick is Zelda by far, but I expected Starfield to lead by a significant margin, considering how widespread and huge Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are. I guess that Bethesda has been out of the game for so long that people are forgetting.

Cashon

Banned
I'll say it again, this forum is more old school and have a deep focus on the GFX RTS OMG stuff more than innovative gameplay. Most of the posts I see here focus on that in almost every gaming discussion. All the shit that people saw in the last Zelda trailer and you still had people say "ugh, that ground texture, only 30fps, not 4K?!" *faints backwards to fainting sofa, clutches pearls*
For me, it isn't even about the graphics; I'm currently playing through Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp on my Switch Lite.

I just don't care for the new direction of Zelda. I played Breath of the Wild the day it came out, and played it regularly for nearly two weeks, then put it down for about two years before picking it up again just to finish it.

In my opinion, Breath of the Wild was a game more for people who are into Minecraft than for people who were into Zelda. And Tears of the Kingdom looks to be going even more in that direction. It just doesn't interest me. I'm not a particularly creative person and don't really enjoy games that focus on creativity.

Guilty_AI

I still don't get the hype for FFXVI. No SP title from them has had much relevance since the ps2 days. Even FFVIIR which was 'the best' from this period in loose terms, was still very divisive.

Even if they manage to release 'a good game', i can't see it being anymore special or relevant than something like Atomic Heart or Ghostwire Tokyo.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I still don't get the hype for FFXVI. No SP title from them has had much relevance since the ps2 days. Even FFVIIR which was 'the best' from this period in loose terms, was still very divisive.

Even if they manage to release 'a good game', i can't see it being anymore special or relevant than something like Atomic Heart or Ghostwire Tokyo.
It's exclusive. That increases prestige in the eyes of the simple-minded.

Top Bottom