• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward more to? Starfield, FF 16 or Zelda TOTK?

What are you looking forward more to?

• Starfield

Votes: 158 33.7%
  • Final Fantasy 16

Votes: 164 35.0%
  • Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 147 31.3%

• Total voters
Neither looks mindblowing. I guess I'll go for FF16, since I'm at least a little interested to see what the hype for the FF14-team is all about (and I'm gonna play an MMO).

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I still don't get the hype for FFXVI. No SP title from them has had much relevance since the ps2 days. Even FFVIIR which was 'the best' from this period in loose terms, was still very divisive.

Even if they manage to release 'a good game', i can't see it being anymore special or relevant than something like Atomic Heart or Ghostwire Tokyo.
Plenty of Bethesda games have been hit or miss. Not to mention the state nearly all of them release in as well as Todd Howard's lies. Also just because Zelda gets good review scores doesn't meant it's not divisive. I know quite a few personally who didn't like the new direction with BoTW. I'm sure its going to be an amazing game regardless.

FF is a 35 year old franchise that's still loved today and so it's always going to have a certain time of sway that the newer IPs you mentioned won't have. Will they still be talking about Ghostwire Tokyo in 35 years? Will it even be remembered? Bit of a laughable example to be honest. Meanwhile they still have worldwide concerts for FF each year that sell out, play the music from it on radio stations here in the UK etc..

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Plenty of Bethesda games have been hit or miss. Not to mention the state nearly all of them release in as well as Todd Howard's lies. Also just because Zelda gets good review scores doesn't meant it's not divisive. I know quite a few personally who didn't like the new direction with BoTW. I'm sure its going to be an amazing game regardless.

FF is a 35 year old franchise that's still loved today and so it's always going to have a certain time of sway that the newer IPs you mentioned won't have. Will they still be talking about Ghostwire Tokyo in 35 years? Will it even be remembered? Bit of a laughable example to be honest. Meanwhile they still have worldwide concerts for FF each year that sell out, play the music from it on radio stations here in the UK etc..
Sure, Final Fantasy is one of the most well-known franchises in gaming, and the music is beloved, but none of the actual games since XII have broken the 90 mark on metacritic. Which are still really good scores, and obviously not necessarily indicative of the actual quality and fun of the games, but it still seems strange to me that there is really any hype for this. If it were multiplatform, I suspect that the hype would be at around the same level as Strangers of Paradise before it released.

BoxFresh123

ch3g2F4.jpg

(but from the list. Zelda)

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So, just because of the IP? Its probably the only explanation that makes sense actually.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I get being hyped on an individual level. I don't get the hype on a large scale.
Maybe you yourself were not impressed by its showing but most people liked what they saw.

Same way other people hype for Starfield but I personally could care less about it....people have different taste.🤷‍♂️

Ev1L AuRoN

1. Final Fantasy XVI (day one)
  2. Tears of the Kingdom (launch window)
  3. Starfield (Maybe on gamepass PC, if the feedback is good).

Guilty_AI

Maybe you yourself were not impressed by its showing but most people liked what they saw.

Same way other people hype for Starfield but I personally could care less about it....people have different taste.🤷‍♂️
Uh, think of it like this. I know you look forward to grimgrimoire om, but even then you'd still find weird if there was this huge hype behind it that matched the year biggest releases, wouldn't you?

Anyway, aside from the IP, i guess there must be hype coming from the MMO FFXIV population too, since its from the same team and all.

Danjin44

Uh, think of it like this. I know you look forward to grimgrimoire om, but even then you'd still find weird if there was this huge hype behind it that matched the year biggest releases, wouldn't you?

Anyway, aside from the IP, i guess there must be hype coming from the MMO FFXIV population too, since its from the same team and all.
I LOVE Grimgrimoire but the game is niche as fuck, so niche that barely got any reviews, we are talking about next mainline FF here.

Cashon

Banned

I think you could even use Star Wars Jedi: Survivor as an example. HUGE brand, sequel to a very successful and critically well-received game... Yet hardly any hype even though it's releasing soon. I feel like this is where Final Fantasy is/should be, but it isn't here because it's exclusive to PlayStation 5.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Zelda because it will be out in a couple weeks. Then FFXVI and then Starfield. If they all came out today I would play Zelda, Starfield, FF.

Guilty_AI

I LOVE Grimgrimoire but the game is niche as fuck, so niche that barely got any reviews, we are talking about next mainline FF here.
Exactly. JRPGs are also a niche. Sure not niche as a vanillaware game, but still not the mass appeal a mainline Zelda game or Bethesda game would get, even if it is FF.

For comparison, BotW sold thrice as much as FFXV did in a similar period, despite being in 1/3 the amount of platforms as the latter. Heck, Fallout 4, supposedly a miss in terms of bethesda games, sold more on release year than FFXV did to this day. It makes no sense there would be more people looking forward to FFXVI than any of the previous two.

Well, it could also just be the GAF bias.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Exactly. JRPGs are also a niche. Sure not niche as a vanillaware game, but still not the mass appeal a mainline Zelda game or Bethesda game would get, even if it is FF.

For comparison, BotW sold thrice as much as FFXV did in a similar period, despite being in 1/3 the amount of platforms as the latter. Heck, Fallout 4, supposedly a miss in terms of bethesda games, sold more on release year than FFXV did to this day. It makes no sense there would be more people looking forward to FFXVI than any of the previous two.

Well, it could also just be the GAF bias.
I can’t speak for others but to me FFXVI looks goooooood, maybe other people feel same way as I do? Who knows.

Guilty_AI

I can’t speak for others but to me FFXVI looks goooooood, maybe other people feel same way as I do? Who knows.
I mean, good or not, it doesn't seem all that different from what we got with FFXV or FFVIIR. At best the same as those with a storyline that isn't filled with holes or utterly retarded

Danjin44

I mean, good or not, it doesn't seem all that different from what we got with FFXV or FFVIIR. At best the same as those with a storyline that isn't filled with holes or utterly retarded
It absolulty does, it been VERY long time since we got medieval fantasy setting in SP mainline FF, this game also being made by Yoshi p and his team rather than or Nomura or Tabata (Crisis Core and FFType-0).
They are also bringing combat designer behind Dragon Dogma and DMC and just look at development cycle for FFXVI compare to FFXV and FFVIIR.

Top Bottom