• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a possible Microsoft answer to Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild?

This thread is an interesting discussion. Some good points were brought.

As for me, i really love the Xbox platform and i'm a multi console owner, XB1-PS4-Switch. Sadly this gen, i'm kinda disappointed with Microsoft's output in games and unique service, i'm talking stuff like "1 vs 100", summer arcade and Kinect.

The first two Xbox's, the Xbox and the 360, are some of my favorite consoles of all time. Microsoft did bring unique games, enough exclusive games and content and overall a rock solid experience in online and social.

It seems like this gen, Microsoft are still trying to find their groove. They still released some amazing games this gen, Killer Instinct, Forza Horizon, Sunset Overdrive and Gears 4... Their support for online is really better than the competition and backward compatibility is one of the best features this gen to me. I mean last gen, we had a lot of arcade games that i still love to play today and BC helps me keep my collection on current hardware which is fucking awesome. I'm playing Daytona USA on my XB1 and god damn this game is so good...

Honestly, i'm not sure Microsoft need to bring a title like Horizon or Zelda. That's not what it's all about. In my opinion, they need to differenciate themselfs from the competition in a clever way. Bring stuff that doesn't exist on other platforms. MS's strong aspect is online, then focus on bringing those unique games in a competitive addictive way, "1 vs 100" is one of those examples. They have Rare, put a team there to release some variety without a crazy budget, just some unique and different stuff. I believe Rare still got it and sadly MS don't seem to let them do whatever they want.

Anyway, hopefully Scorpio brings that hope back because the Xbox platform is really good and the potential is there. I mean after all these years, i still prefer to play with an Xbox One controller because it's still the best controller in the market right now, play on Xbox Live because it's the best online service, achievements, cloud syncs... their ecosystem is rock solid and works really well. They just need that little extra combined with a great marketing campaign and they're set.

Fingers crossed for a great E3 for MS...

One thing i think people always took for granted was that xbox always had a very powerful console. The OG xbox was more powerful than sonys, the 360 was designed in a way that games always ran better on 360. When you have that 'advantage' it might not seem important, but it really is. This is the only gen where their console is weaker than sonys and its the first time they really struggle this bad, other than their first console which is to be expected.

When you have the better HW, most people will play their multi-platform games on your platform. thats just how it is. Thats how i play my games and its how most people play their games. I always buy my multi-platform games on the console that will run them the best. So this time its on ps4. Last 2 generations, it was on xbox.

The hardwares power is extremely important. This time they thought they could pull a nintendo and cut on that a bit and it bit them right in the ass.

One thing i think people always took for granted was that xbox always had a very powerful console. The OG xbox was more powerful than sonys, the 360 was designed in a way that games always ran better on 360. When you have that 'advantage' it might not seem important, but it really is. This is the only gen where their console is weaker than sonys and its the first time they really struggle this bad, other than their first console which is to be expected.

When you have the better HW, most people will play their multi-platform games on your platform. thats just how it is. Thats how i play my games and its how most people play their games. I always buy my multi-platform games on the console that will run them the best. So this time its on ps4. Last 2 generations, it was on xbox.

The hardwares power is extremely important. This time they thought they could pull a nintendo and cut on that a bit and it bit them right in the ass.

I 100% agree with this. It's one thing the Xbox platform always had, better hardware and tools. This gen, they were unlucky with the price factor, terrible first messaging and overall perception compared to the PS4 which launched cheaper and stronger. Not saying Scorpio will turn tides but it will be interesting to see how people(mostly informed gamers because casuals wont give a shit) react to 3rd party games running better on an Xbox console again.

That advantage did nothing vs PS2 and they tied with PS3.
MS big advantages last gen were price , games and when the system came out .
Power was a small part of that .
Also you do know that XB1 has sold more than Xbox so saying they struggle because there console weaker make no sense.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
When I saw that Shadow of War trailer and they started riding a dragon, I was convinced that's why Microsoft cancelled Scalebound.

Coincidence that MS has marketing rights to Shadow of War? I think not.

Scalebound was having development and publicity issues, MS saw Shadow of War with its fleshed out combat plus dragon riding and decided there was no way Scalebound could compete with it sales or popularity wise.

Just a hunch though, there's obviously no proof that's why it happened.

Speely

Banned
I have high hopes for Crackdown. It's one of the best MS IPs imo, and it has the potential to be awesome.

That said, I don't think MS likes to take the kind of chances that Sony and Nintendo take, and so a game of this kind of scope and vision are less likely to come from them. Just a hunch.

Personal pref? A Perfect Dark open-world game involving tons of gadgets with which Joanna could approach scenarios. Huge sci-fi city to explore. I would play the shit out of an open-world Perfect Dark.

Yeah and now that Molyneux is out of the picture there would actually be a chance that those features actually get implemented instead of just bullshitted about.
I think part of the problem was Molyneux's attempt to do something innovative with each game. While I loved TLC and II, there was still missed potential there. They should have focused on rounding out the features that already existed while adding depth. Combat also needed improvement instead of being purely damage dealt, they should have introduced a combat puzzle.

spannicus

I have high hopes for Crackdown. It's one of the best MS IPs imo, and it has the potential to be awesome.

That said, I don't think MS likes to take the kind of chances that Sony and Nintendo take, and so a game of this kind of scope and vision are less likely to come from them. Just a hunch.

Personal pref? A Perfect Dark open-world game involving tons of gadgets with which Joanna could approach scenarios. Huge sci-fi city to explore. I would play the shit out of an open-world Perfect Dark.
Crackdown 3 should be open world with multiplayer and a completely destroyable enviornment. The ways to tackle objectives are probably endless. Seems to me like they are taking chances here no?

Lol, Xbox One is the console for basic owners and it is a red state console. Probably one of the dumbest and self-aggrandizing things I have read on GAF. Don't even give idiots like this the time of day.

You're absolutely right, and I shouldn't even bother responding to that drivel, but I was interested to see if he would answer me. Furthermore, I was curious to see if he could put together a coherent string of sentences and describe to me what a "Basic Gamer" is?

Speely

Banned
Crackdown 3 should be open world with multiplayer and a completely destroyable enviornment. The ways to tackle objectives are probably endless. Seems to me like they are taking chances here no?

Absolutely. I am really looking forward to seeing what they have done with one of their best IPs. I guess I just feel like it's an outlier... Though they did go in hard with Sunset Overdrive.

Maybe the Scalebound thing just put me off a bit.

That advantage did nothing vs PS2 and they tied with PS3.
MS big advantages last gen were price , games and when the system came out .
Power was a small part of that .
Also you do know that XB1 has sold more than Xbox so saying they struggle because there console weaker make no sense.

As i already said, OG xbox was their first console. It was never going to beat sony. But what it did do is make people notice that they were serious about gaming and games like halo ce were not only good, they were visually stunning at the time. This is one of the reasons the xbox was even taken seriously by gamers then. Power was a huge part of that, so was the required HDD and ethernet port. Thats all part of how the console was designed. They spent more and it ultimately made people notice.

And as you say "tying" with ps3 was a big win for microsoft considering this was only their second console and add to that fact that they started with the 3 red light fiasco. Yet through all of that, people were still buying xbox's over ps3s to play COD and such. People chose xbox because Live was superior and most of the games ran better. Power and hardware was a big part of that.

Yes of course, price plays a part in all this. When your console is 100$ more expensive, it hurts you especially when its also weaker than your competitions. But at the same price, the hardware that runs the games better imo will always have the advantage to me. Always.

The xbox one being on the same 'pace' as the 360, i agree is very good. But when the competition is doubling you, thats not what MS consider a "win". They didnt come into console gaming to finish a very far second place. Forcing Kinect didnt help them this time around, but what hurt them even more is the fact that it was more expensive and also weaker. When people buy their 3rd party games on playstation cause its native 1080p vs the 720 upscaled to 1080, it hurts you no matter which way you look at it.

People want bang for their buck. Ps4 gave them that. Xbox one didnt.

Cranster

Banned
MS did have an exclusive console release this quarter that by most accounts was pretty solid, and in a genre that isn't even super saturated. The issue seems to be more that people don't care than that they didn't do anything.
That's pretty much it. To argue that Microsoft has nothing this year is being ignorant at this point.

lol "Red state console." Where do you people come up with this stuff?

The sheer revisionism by people claiming Scalebound never looked interesting or good makes me sad.

Revisionism? Go back and look at some of the demo threads. People definitely took note of its... unrefined state, especially for a Platinum game.

Kent

Honest question about Scalebound that may never see an answer: did MS cancel it because they feared it was going to look closer to ME:A than Horizon? If so, should they have just released it anyway?

Highly unlikely. From my experience with the publishing side of things (though not at any related party to this), it's very, very likely that a project this publicized would only ever be canceled due to the developer failing to meet milestones and live up to their contractual obligations, or if some sort of massive shift of business trajectory were to occur (e.g. pulling out of the business), or if the project was far enough completed that quality concerns wouldn't be able to be feasibly fixed while also turning a profit.

Nobody's going to cancel a game just because someone else beat them to the punch, and games get published all the time despite (sometimes-ridiculous) quality issues, even from the parties that are involved (StarFox Zero and TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan are pretty widely lambasted, despite being developed by Platinum Games - and similarly, The Master Chief Collection is still a train wreck).

Simply looking like it'll be imperfect doesn't get games canceled, especially when they're hugely-publicized and given a leading role in an upcoming lineup.

It's also worth noting that since the announcement of Scalebound, Platinum Games had shipped or had in development at least seven other games (and as is normal, the game must have been in production since before its announcement - meaning that number may be potentially higher, and that's not including upcoming, announced games of theirs - such as that Granblue Fantasy spin-off - that were no doubt also in production up through this time).

Sizzel

Sea of Thieves looks like a big flop - maybe Crackdown will be a "big" game for them. I own a bone and a PC...I would really like some great content from them. Taste is subjective obviously.

It definitely feels like the industry is leaving microsoft behind in terms of software. Both Nintendo and Sony have had massive breakout successes as they hit a stride of inspiration and they really come to master their hardware and their studios start to have a really clear vision. They both seem keenly interested in evolving their franchises, technology, etc.

Microsoft, on the other hand, seems to be stuck in this "yeah just churn out games" mode typical of console manufacturers winding down production of groundbreaking software at the tail end of a console generation. Their software lineup is not bad or lacking, it's just...there. With Scorpio looming in the background it's clear they're banking on it as some kind of "do-over", but I'm not entirely sure that's what they're gonna get.

:jnc at the idea that Scalebound looked good. The idea behind was cool and it sounded great, plus Platinum/Kamiya, but none of the gameplay that was shown ever looked good and often looked pretty ropey.

I tried to get hyped for it but come on, let's not go down the alternative facts road here.

People were consistently shitting all over the game after E3 showings but now that it's been cancelled suddenly it was going to be this amazing GOTY contender.

reson8or

This, this, this.

Seriously, "please buy another $400 console" is not the answer to your competition's large, diverse game catalog.

I've said this as well. No amount of hardware can make up for their serious software deficiency. If anything it re-emphasizes it.

MS should be doubling down on growing their games library, not introducing more new hardware.

kmax

Sony and Nintendo have powerful in house studios, and Sony has a great relationship with 3rd party studios that they manage to get exclusives from.

Microsoft's pretty barebones on all fronts in that regard. Their relationship with 3rd parties has been battered with fiasco situations such as Scalebound, and there aren't too many projects to get hyped around at this time.

They lost a lot of momentum with the Xbox One launch fiasco and the kinect vision that didn't pan out, which made them lose opportunities they otherwise would of had. Compare that to Sony and Nintendo that have been going out strong ever since their respective launches. (Too early to tell for Nintendo at this point, but if they keep going like they are right now, then they got a bright future ahead of them. Still need to work on those 3rd party relationships though).

I've said this as well. No amount of hardware can make up for their serious software deficiency. If anything it re-emphasizes it.

MS should be doubling down on growing their games library, not introducing more new hardware.

I agree. Good HW with no games wont help them. Heres hoping they have some aces up their sleeves.

At the same time, ps4 didnt have many exclusives for a long while and it didnt seem to hurt them all that much.

Putty

I agree. Good HW with no games wont help them. Heres hoping they have some aces up their sleeves.

At the same time, ps4 didnt have many exclusives for a long while and it didnt seem to hurt them all that much.

Difference being peeps knew they'd come eventually just because of the amount of studio's under the WWS umbrella...

Crayon

We will never know if scalebound was going to bee that good but it was the most interesting thing they had coming. At least for some of us.

Lady Gaia

We will never know if scalebound was going to bee that good but it was the most interesting thing they had coming. At least for some of us.

Not just some. It was the highest ranked Xbox One exclusive in GAF's 2017 anticipation list, so it's undeniable that hole leaves a lot of room for questions about what the lineup will look like at E3.

Trago

Difference being peeps knew they'd come eventually just because of the amount of studio's under the WWS umbrella...

Yes, Microsoft have less first party studios. But can we stop pretending that they've got nothing in the works? Not to mention they've published several exclusives through partners this gen too. Who's to say there aren't more?

With the PS4 it was generally understood that the games were coming.

And they came, and were extremely well received. And more are on the way.

With the XB1, the project may or may not be canceled and when the game comes out, chances are its reception will be along the lines of "it's pretty good, just another one of those". See Gears 4.

And I'm not defending Scalebound or Fable Legends, as MS was well within their rights to cancel games if they genuinely weren't coming along. But you look at those instances and you look at Sony and there's an obvious difference: Sony's not canceling high-profile games that are far along in development. Does that mean the games were secretly great? Not really, but the bigger question is, how did Microsoft let those games get to that state in the first place?

SOR5

Here's the answer:

Microsoft doesn't need to have a Horizon or Zelda, just like Nintendo doesn't need a Forza and Sony doesn't need a Mario

You're under the impression that because a dichotomy of two well received open world games came out that it's absolutely essential that all console makers have one

What it does need is a fresh new IP that reignites interest

Putty

Yes, Microsoft have less first party studios. But can we stop pretending that they've got nothing in the works? Not to mention they've published several exclusives through partners this gen too. Who's to say there aren't more?

I hope that's not aimed at me?

neoglow

Banned
Let's see, Microsofts answer will be...

Forza 9. No maybe...

Gears 6. Or how about...

Halo 12. I've got it...

Scale... on no wait.

Nope I'm all out of sequels, although there is Crapdown 3.

Top Bottom