• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst Nintendo developed game?

Hatchtag

Banned
Fuck the people saying Kid Icarus Uprising

Agreed. Honestly it's more comfy than some 3ds platformers. DKCR3D legit hurt my hand due to the fucking corner of the system digging in while I constantly pressed Y and B. I actually enjoyed the controls too, really was meant to be different and it worked. Plus the story and gameplay and music are all fantastic.

Also how the hell are people saying Super Mario Sunshine? It's far better than Galaxy 1, 3D Land and World, and every 2D Mario but World, with only 64, World, and Galaxy 2 even coming close to how good it is.

Anyways, in terms of what the fuck it was, Super Mario All-Stars for Wii. A port of a SNES game that costs $22 more than a VC game.
In terms of the actual gameplay, it's got to be Urban Champion. There's just no other answer.

Custom Robo

this suggestion is just plain bad and you should feel bad for suggesting it

Chrom

Wario_World_game_cover.jpg

Nintendo didn't develop Wario World, that was Treasure. I do agree that it's not very good game, though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder if the people saying Kid Icarus Uprising are just sore about Dark Pit...also, wouldn't that NOT count since it was by SORA?

It's hard to really say...I don't wanna say NES games because that seems a bit unfair sincet they're so old, as do saying the cheap DSi games like WarioWare Snapped which don't really aspire to be anything more than a gimmick.

I think I'd need to probably divide it by systems first...

Ozium

Nintendo didn't develop Wario World, that was Treasure. I do agree that it's not very good game, though.

The fact that it was developed by Treasure almost makes it hurt more, IMO.

Can we get a moment of silence for our fallen Gods?

So many "this wasn't the exact game I wanted so it's AWFUL" posts in this thread, not a whole lot of legitimately bad games.

I haven't played Urban Champion, but I think I've seen enough to agree. Ice Climber was pretty terribad though. Some of the worst handling in a platformer ever, I have no idea how they got it so bad. Then there's some of the early NES sports games too... And more than a one Pokémon spin-off deserves honorable mention, like Dash, Battle Revolution, or some of those Rumble games.

Kid Icarus' controls require the player to learn an entirely new control scheme, so it makes sense that most aren't willing to put in the effort. They are perfectly accurate, however, and perfectly capable of the intense speed and accuracy requirements of the higher difficulties of the game, so they definitely aren't bad.

Pudge

Even as a youngster I thought it was bad. And I was pretty forgiving in those days.

I'm not saying it's great. But compared to Urban Champion, Wii Music, and Kirby Air Ride? It's incredible.

I may also have a grudge against Kirby Air Ride.

Hatchtag

Banned
Just plain bad is exactly how I feel about it.

It's pure fun though brah. Keeps getting robbed from that Smash appearance.

I'm not saying it's great. But compared to Urban Champion, Wii Music, and Kirby Air Ride? It's incredible.

Did you ever play the City Trial mode? Some people seem to get confused that the game is bad because they don't see that mode. I imagine it's kinda like stocks in Smash, it's the mode everyone likes but its a bit hidden for some reason.

Kyuur

You monster.

All of their NES games not named Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda suck. I mean, I love Metroid as a series, but the first game is hot garbage despite what it inspired.

TaiKH92

Banned
Also how the hell are people saying Super Mario Sunshine? It's far better than Galaxy 1, 3D Land and World, and every 2D Mario but World, with only 64, World, and Galaxy 2 even coming close to how good it is.

Wut?
Mario Sunshine levels don't stand a chance against the tightly designed levels of Galaxy, which also have a lot more variety than Sunshine's levels, also Sunshine has a lot more of collectathon than it should (blue coins cough)

Hatchtag

Banned
Wut?
Mario Sunshine levels don't stand a chance against the tightly designed levels of Galaxy, which also have a lot more variety than Sunshine's levels

Sunshine's worlds are all very, very tightly designed
and it's camera's better.
Plus I feel Galaxy lacks polish, suffers from an annoying, poorly designed hub world, and just flat out isn't as fun as Sunshine is.

Wendler

Banned
Wut?
Mario Sunshine levels don't stand a chance against the tightly designed levels of Galaxy, which also have a lot more variety than Sunshine's levels

Gamecube nostalgia is at its climax at the moment. That also triggers the unusually high F-Zero demand/love on GAF recently.

Hogan's Alley
Urban Champion
Kid Icarus (NES)
Gumshoe
Custom Robo
Donkey Kong 3
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire

1) Shadows is NOT a Nintendo developed game. And it was a good game to boot.

2) Really??? Hogan's Alley? It wasnt great but it was way more fun than Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Urban Champion and Wii Music, to name a few.

KI:U

and yeah, it's the controls.

To all those defending the game, you have to realize that when the number one complaint about the game is the controls, then the controls might be a problem. You figured them out, that's great, you are more capable than many other's who have failed. You need to accept the fact that a large number of people have issues with the controls, which means the controls are an issue and dismissing those complaints just makes you look a little foolish

Urban Champion may be the right answer in my brain. But Yoshi's Story is the right answer in my heart. What a pile of garbage that game is. It turned me off the N64 as a platform for TWO YEARS after playing it as a kid at a friend's house.

Also, I know this was only published by Nintendo, but fuck this game too.
200px-Mario_Pinball_Land.jpg

How do you screw up Mario + Pinball? Especially after Pokemon Pinball was SO GOOD?

EDIT: THEY PUT THIS OUT ON WII U VC? WHY? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU NINTENDO?

This abomination, right here. Honorable mentions include Ice Climbers and Super Mario Sunshine for being the biggest disappointment.

KI:U Isn't that bad for me once I changed the configuration of the controls.

rex

Mario Sunshine. Such a letdown compared to Mario 64

Yup. Maybe theres some obscure or ancient relic from the nes era thats technically worse. But this, this is far and away the worst major nintendo game ever produced, and one of the few outright bad ones.

From awful level design to atrocious art to the pollution of Mario 64s sacred mechanics with the abominable Fludd, Sunshine fails on almost every conceivable level. Going from mighty Super Mario 64 to this game and then rebounding with Holy Galaxy is like falling off of a mountain into a bottomless pit only to dust yourself off and rise to heaven. Incomprehensible.

To all those defending the game, you have to realize that when the number one complaint about the game is the controls, then the controls might be a problem. You figured them out, that's great, you are more capable than many other's who have failed. You need to accept the fact that a large number of people have issues with the controls, which means the controls are an issue and dismissing those complaints just makes you look a little foolish
Well that's great and all, but people praise Rockstar games to high heaven and they control like ass.

Uprising is nowhere near Nintendo's worst.

Hatchtag

Banned

if a lot of people think it's true, clearly it must be true! The game's controls actually enhanced the game for some people including myself, why is it hard to accept that some people have that opinion?

Everybody that says Urban Champion is correct. How can you look at this and claim other games are WORSE? Disappointing, maybe. But worse than THIS???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlak-NInAaU

Nah bro, nah.

It was also released in 1984! A year before the NES came out in NA and Super Mario Bros. was out to revolutionize videogames forever. For that same reason I can't give to much flack for a Nintendo made game from that prehistoric era.

Wii Music, for everything it represented, the way it was announced front and center in an embarrassing 2008 E3 press conference, the way it played, its cheap presentation and the times in which it was released make for Wii Music a much worse game from that company.

Javier

I think it's interesting that most of the games being mentioned in this thread are games I actually consider good.

It says a lot about Nintendo as a developer.

Without thought, question, or hesitation:

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Hyperbole much? Jesus H. Christ.

Either you have not played too many Nintendo games in your life and thus think PH is the absolute worst or you're just delusional and way way way too blind. Just on the DS I can think of a couple Nintendo made games that are factually worse than PH.

This thread isnt about your biggest dissapointment or your most hated game. It's about the worst videogame Nintedo has ever produced.

Phantom Hourglass may be the worst Zelda ever, but is not the worst Nintendo game ever.

if a lot of people think it's true, clearly it must be true! The game's controls actually enhanced the game for some people including myself, why is it hard to accept that some people have that opinion?

Did I miss something? Where did I say it was hard to accept that opinion? I didn't. In fact I said it was great that there are people who like the controls.

And you know what? A lot of people thinking the controls are a problem does make it true. Obviously not everyone thinks it's an issue, but certainly enough people to make it a valid complaint.

I played for hours and couldn't get over the controls. The game is so beautiful. I wanted to get used to it. I actually bought it twice thinking I could eventually get used to it, but I couldn't. I want so much to play that game. I was pretty upset when they didn't provide a duel analog control method with the cpp.

timshundo

I never played Mario 64 and Sunshine is one of my favorite Mario games. By the time I got the chance to play Mario 64 it was too late. Too ugly. Too much experiment. Sunshine was refined and beautiful.

dickroach

Sticker Star's the only Nintendo game I regret buying

same here. I couldn't finish it.
I've rented some games back in the day that were pretty dull, and there's been things I'd never even think about buying like Wii Music. but Sticker Star was the first Nintendo game that legitimately made me angry.

TaiKH92

Banned
Sunshine's worlds are all very, very tightly designed
and it's camera's better.
Plus I feel Galaxy lacks polish, suffers from an annoying, poorly designed hub world, and just flat out isn't as fun as Sunshine is.

Sunshine levels lack in the platforming aspect, you get many stars (or shines) by collecting whether blue coins (24 of the shines are obtained by collecting blue coins) or red coins or having to catch shadow Mario or having to use the fludd to clean something , while Galaxy is pure, well paced, platforming. Sunshine has some good platforming sections, like the fludd-less parts but there's too much collecthathon and chore work, also Sunshine re-uses too much its tropical setting on its levels which makes many of them feel same-ish

and how does Galaxy lack polish?

Sunshine levels lack in the platforming aspects, you get many stars (or shines) by collecting whether blue coins (24 of the shines are obtained by collecting blue coins) or red coins or having to catch shadow Mario or having to use the fludd to clean something , while Galaxy is pure, well paced, platforming. Sunshine has some good platforming sections, like the fludd-less parts but there's too much collecthathon

and how does Galaxy lack polish?

Yeah, out of the two of them, Sunshine seems like the one that was rushed.

"lots of people feel differently" isn't a valid argument. Lots of people aren't willing to learn an entirely new control scheme, and deal with the growing pains that come with that. That has no bearing on whether or not the controls function well.

SalvaPot

This thread is making me angry.

I was going to post Mario Party Island Tour, but even that can be enjoyable if you have absolutely nothing else to play.

But I´m getting away from this thread before I pop a vein, good day to you all.

Top Bottom