• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst Nintendo developed game?

andymcc

Banned
stackup_(13).jpg

Fucking worthless

This one is really bad too.

So is track and field.

Nintendo has a long history with bad accessory-focused games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't wich one is the worse but its not like they are excellent games:

1- Ice Climber
2- Uniracers
3- Wii Music
4- Kid Icarus Uprising
5- Urban Champions

I'm just going to pretend this post doesn't exist.

TheMoon

Uniracers is interesting...it's Nintendo's attempt at making a Sonic game, but they only made a tech demo without making any platforming stages so it's kind of boring in that regard. Pretty neat as a tech demo-y thing

Uniracers was made by DMA. Better known as Rockstar today.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Also not the absolute worst but my personal worst letdown is, without a shadow of doubt, Yoshi's Story.

To this day I hold Yoshi's Island close to my heart as one of the best platformers of all time. YS was marketed as the sequel and bought it because of that. 30 minutes after firing it for the first time I was watching the credits while listening to an ear-bleeding preschooler's song while Yoshis cried (sang?) alongside it. What a waste of $60 bucks which for a 12 year old was a fortune!
Yoshi's_Story.jpg

Word. I rented that game and promptly beat it an hour later. What the hell were they thinking making it so damn short and forgettable? Even the art style looked heavily compressed/not well realized back then.

stackup_(13).jpg

Fucking worthless

Interesting. I thought I knew every Nintendo made NES game. Learn something new every day. Ain't never heard of that one before. Not surprised, since I never owned a ROB.

I always love those up-close pixelized boxarts that early Nintendo NES games had. They were so iconic.

TheMoon

To everyone saying Wii Music, that's a close answer. Same goes with Urban Champion.

The worst game though, that Nintendo has ever made is this stupidity:

Flingsmash_cover.png

The game is basically "what if you wanted to play Breakout as an actual game with horrible motion controls, terrible graphics, etc".

That's an Artoon game.

Please look up who developed these games, people.

Ozium

LMAO I forgot about Stack-Up... I literally forgot it even existed..... those ROB games really were pretty terrible... (Though I can't say for sure since I haven't played either of them)

Sticker Star. an interesting experiment, but it just took out everything that made paper mario *fun*.

KI:U gets an honorable mention, but only due to My being Left handed. Sakurai, you are the king of control schemes with smash, but why the FUCK does the Circle Pad Pro just copy the left stick instead of allowing it to control the camera like it's supposed to? ugh, honestly..

I'm still hoping there's a New3DS Update/Rerelease with better controls.

Floridian

Wii Music was the first in my mind. Not played it, but it looked awful.

To those saying Sunshine. SHAME ON YOU! SHAAAAAAME! :p

I really don't want to have to bring up metacritic for this. Lol i can understand it being the worst 3d mario for people, and opinions, but the worst game nintendo has ever developed? I'm not too sure on that.

Crayolan

I've played Ice Climber and didn't think it was that bad. Mediocre, yeah, but not horrible.

Never played Urban Champion or Wii Music, so I'll say Wii Sports. Just a bland, boring garbage game. I was done with that game in like an hour, it felt more like shovelware than a first party Nintendo-title.

- Urban Champion
- Wario World
- Kirby Air Ride
- Mario's Missing!
- Yoshi Touch & Go
- Yoshi Topsy Turvy
- Steel Diver

One of these is not like the other.

TL:DR Ice Climber is the worst game Nintendo ever made.

Gotta agree. Clu Clu Land is just frustrating because you need to get used to it. Ice Climbers just has shit controls, shit jumping and shit everything else.

Urban Champion isn't bad, it's just incredibly boring.

Sticker Star. an interesting experiment, but it just took out everything that made paper mario *fun*.

KI:U gets an honorable mention, but only due to My being Left handed. Sakurai, you are the king of control schemes with smash, but why the FUCK does the Circle Pad Pro just copy the left stick instead of allowing it to control the camera like it's supposed to? ugh, honestly..

I'm still hoping there's a New3DS Update/Rerelease with better controls.
I mean, even if you could camera control with the right stick, it'd still be completely inferior from a gameplay perspective to the stylus controls, meaning if you wanted to play the harder difficulties or online, you'd pretty much need to adapt to not get completely destroyed

Richie

I'll be alone in this but DK Jr. Math was redeemed by its multiplayer, my bro and I got some kicks out of it when the game was included in Animal Crossing.

From the games I've played it'd have to be some of the NES sports' games, a couple just don't hold up at all.

Lijik

Is this one of those threads where we try to be cool and edgy by saying games like Kid Icarus Uprising or Wii Sports despite living in a world where Urban Champion exists and inexplicably keeps getting rereleased

Ozium

Excitebike by a longshot.

ehh... no.

I could see if racing/sports games aren't your thing, but re-playing Excitebike in NES Remix has made me appreciate it a lot more.. Especially for how well it does it what it sets out to do and has aged pretty well.

Is this one of those threads where we try to be cool and edgy by saying games like Kid Icarus Uprising or Wii Sports despite living in a world where Urban Champion exists and inexplicably keeps getting rereleased

Why does Urban Champion keep getting rereleased? Is it an internal joke at this point? Laziness? Trolling the fanbase? Or does some higher up exec have love for it since he worked on it in the past or something?

When's Urban Champion DX+ Summer Edition coming?

TaiKH92

Banned
kid Icarus uprising.

I don't wich one is the worse but its not like they are excellent games:

4- Kid Icarus Uprising

Kid Icarus

htfsk.gif

Seriously, I mean, the game is a work of love, the controls are highly customizable, too

I haven't played any of the "bad" Nintendo games like Wii Music, Urban champion, Yoshi's story, Metroid other m, etc but the nearest I've been from playing a bad Nintendo game is Mario Sunshine with its tedious blue coin collectathon, horrible camera, weak levels, lack of level variety, intrusive fludd and overall weak platforming.

Pudge

Urban Champion may be the right answer in my brain. But Yoshi's Story is the right answer in my heart. What a pile of garbage that game is. It turned me off the N64 as a platform for TWO YEARS after playing it as a kid at a friend's house.

Also, I know this was only published by Nintendo, but fuck this game too.
200px-Mario_Pinball_Land.jpg

How do you screw up Mario + Pinball? Especially after Pokemon Pinball was SO GOOD?

EDIT: THEY PUT THIS OUT ON WII U VC? WHY? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU NINTENDO?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Feel like Yoshi's Story doesn't get enough hatred. There are a lot of bad games with Yoshi in the title - hell there are probably more awful ones than good ones - but Story is the worst. Probably the first game I really hated as a kid.

Famassu

Wii Music is by far the worst Nintendo game and in the running for the worst music game and worst game in general. There's absolutely nothing good about the game. The music offering is weak, gameplay has zero depth or fun factor and it's just such a boring game in every aspect. The only good thing that you can say about it is that it's not a horribly buggy mess, but I'd rather play a more interesting, less polished music game with more interesting music, gameplay & other features than suffer through a minute more of Wii Music.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
What the... Ice Climbers is hardly bad, especially by 8 bit standards. Urban Champion actually got good mileage with my friends and I back in the day.

I'm gonna go with 10-yard fight.

Of course I can Google it, but it'll probably be more fun to hear it from GAF. When we were kids, we couldn't afford much of anything, so I only had SMB3 for the NES.

But the constant mentions of Urban Champion...

Can someone please forgive my ignorance and explain what the hell "Urban Champion" is? :)

Ozium

Urban Champion may be the right answer in my brain. But Yoshi's Story is the right answer in my heart. What a pile of garbage that game is. It turned me off the N64 as a platform for TWO YEARS after playing it as a kid at a friend's house.

How do you screw up Mario + Pinball? Especially after Pokemon Pinball was SO GOOD?

is mario pinball legit bad? I have it on my eshop wishlist... I've nver played any of the Nintendo pinball games (cept the NES one, and the kirby one on gameboy which was OK) I heard that the ruby/sapphire one is good, but assumed this one was as well... convince me to remove it from my list

Pudge

is mario pinball legit bad? I have it on my eshop wishlist... I've nver played any of the Nintendo pinball games (cept the NES one, and the kirby one on gameboy which was OK) I heard that the ruby/sapphire one is good, but assumed this one was as well... convince me to remove it from my list

It's one of those misbegotten pinball games that also tries to be an adventure instead of just being a good pinball game. So you just get wide open spaces with Goombas and Koopas wandering around and screwing up your shots. It takes forever to achieve ANY objective in the game because instead of ramps and bumpers and other pinball things, you just have hard to reach paths and combat objectives to squash moving enemies.

Every other Pinball type game that Nintendo has put out is great. Pokemon Pinball, Metroid Prime Pinball (which was made by the same people), Kirby Pinball Land, all fun pinball games. But Mario Pinball is just frustration in a pinball package.

Kid Icarus Uprising certainly has the worst controls of any Nintendo game, but it's far from the worst game.
The original Kid Icarus is far worse for one.
A lot of NES games are pretty worthless but yeah, Urban Champion takes the cake.

Famassu

htfsk.gif

Seriously, I mean, the game is a work of love, the controls are highly customizable, too

I haven't played any of the "bad" Nintendo games but the nearest I've been from playing a bad Nintendo game is Mario Sunshine with its tedious blue coin collectathon, horrible camera, weak levels, lack of level variety, intrusive fludd and overall weak platforming.
Nothing wrong with the camera in Sunshine, there are plenty of good levels, FLUDD is one of the GOAT things in platforming (if you think it's bad, then you just suck at using it) and the platforming itself is incredibly responsive & well done. There are a few weaker levels and yes, the blue coin collecting is a bit tedious, but a majority of the game is still good and the FLUDDless levels are far superior to the lame-ass easy levels of Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Ozium

Wii Music is by far the worst Nintendo game and in the running for the worst music game and worst game in general. There's absolutely nothing good about the game. The music offering is weak, gameplay has zero depth or fun factor and it's just such a boring game in every aspect. The only good thing that you can say about it is that it's not a horribly buggy mess, but I'd rather play a more interesting, less polished music game with more interesting music, gameplay & other features than suffer through a minute more of Wii Music.

no.

Wii Music is good if you view it for what it is. It's not a rhythm game, it's not parappa/space channel 5/whatever you want it to be. It's like saying a guitar or a violin is "the worst music game I ever tried." It's an instrument, much like Wii Music is a collection of tools to create sounds, and then put those sounds together to create music.. Wii Music isn't a game, you can't win or lose and the amount of enjoyment and creativity you get out of it is up to how much you put into it.

Wii Music isn't something you play "to get through" or "to beat" If you are viewing it as such then that is based on your perceptions, not what it was created for..

Wii Music 4 lyfe

bobawesome

I don't believe you. How can the game be terrible? IT LOOKS AMAZING FOR A GAMEBOY ADVANCE GAME.

This was the trap that led many to purchase this.

Word. I rented that game and promptly beat it an hour later. What the hell were they thinking making it so damn short and forgettable? Even the art style looked heavily compressed/not well realized back then.

It had no charm, no real variety, horrible and forgettable music, no difficulty (it was piss easy!!!!), it was short as shit, bland graphics, and boring boss fights.

It had nothing that made me fall in love with Yoshi's Island. Nothing.

But not even that makes it the absolute worst Nintendo developed game. And to all those who say Ice Climbers, I sympathize but I cant honestly say that game because it was released in January 1985 in Japan! Back when the NES wasnt even out here and Nintendo was still experimenting. Hell, Super Mario Bros. wasn't going to come out in Japan for another 8 months! I can't judge Ice Climers too harshly because its a product of its time. Even Donkey Kong came out some years earlier and it wasn't that superior with much better controls.

Now Wii Music? That shit was released as a holiday tent-pole title for Nintendo six years ago (2008)! In a post Guitar Hero, Uncharted and Portal world Nintendo thought they could get away releasing cheap crap like this and you know what? They did it. It must've been dirt cheap to make and, even though it was critically panned, still managed to sell more than 2 million units.

Wii Music sold more than Metroid Prime 3 on that same console. For fucking shame.

Wii Music, because of the different times it was released and Nintendo being an internationally renowned big dog now, is for me much much worse than what Ice Climbers was 30 years ago.

Yeah, Mario Pinball Land was pretty terrible. I don't know how that developer went on to develop the awesome Metroid Prime Pinball.

Top Bottom