• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What temp do you set your AC to before you leave the house for work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to buy us a Nest today, but then I learned the greedy electric company abruptly stopped giving 200 USD rebates for installing one.

Greedy bastards! Smart thermostats are great, beats non-programmable, but non-programmable is still better than a shitty programmable one.
They're greedy for not giving you a rebate on something you buy from some other company? What?

GulAtiCa

Like 81. I need to start leaving it at like 78 or 77 these days. By time I get home, house stays around 80 forever till like 10 pm when finally near 75 (I tend to put it around 73 when I'm home)

zewone

You must be ballin' to keep your house cool even when you're away. Couldn't you just take the heat for the 5 minutes it will tale for the home to cool down when you get back?

Well I'll have you know your electricity company are a bunch of bastards. It's more expensive during the hours when no one's home here. The idea being that you shouldn't use it during those hours lest you be punished.

4pm-8pm is the standard On-Peak usage for power companies. At least in the US. And On-Peak usage rates can be anything from triple to 6x as expense as Off-Peak.

AGITΩ

85 when I'm working, 75 as soon as I get home. GA Heat has been killer, but having just come back from 2 Weeks in back home in Puerto Rico, the humidity and heat here is NOTHING.

dejay

Banned
When I replaced the two AC units in my house I bought ones with wifi that I could remotely control. I leave them off during the day and turn them on to around 23c (74f) before I leave work. My commute is about an hour so the house is pretty cool when I get home.

I have the cheapest electricity bills of everyone I know, so I know they're pretty efficient (for reference I live in the western suburbs of Sydney which can get quite hot).

HUELEN10

They're greedy for not giving you a rebate on something you buy from some other company? What?

Yep, they have just made an unprecedented partnership with Honeywell so their rebates only work for THIER shitty wi-fi thermostats. This is one type of exclusivity deal that's hard to support.

Rebate is 225 USD, BUT you have to deal with a shitty Honeywell.
You move it 1 degree? Somehow this makes perfect sense knowing it's you.
?

Off. But I'm dying when I walk in here after work and throw the AC on its lowest setting of 62 every time so maybe there's something to leaving it on a milder temp throughout the day.

Or I could just buy a fan, I guess.

kirby_fox

Banned
Off. But I lived without an AC for majority of my life and learned to adjust my body temperature.

Sadly that only works well in the summer.

82-85F range.

Does anybody know if there is any truth to the notion that the AC has to "work harder" to cool down a hotter house? As in, more wear? Certainly not higher electricity usage compared to leaving at, say 75F all day, right?

You must be ballin' to keep your house cool even when you're away. Couldn't you just take the heat for the 5 minutes it will tale for the home to cool down when you get back?

It would likely take much longer than five minutes to cool OP's home down. At least, I know it'd take much longer to cool my apartment down from having the AC off all day.

HUELEN10

Why would I leave it on at all?
If you're in an apartment with a partially shared unit, then shutting down your potion only causes a slight usage drop in power, since it technically always idles, so by spiking it up to get cooler, faster, you are helping the environment, but WASTING money, which is bad.

In other words, it all depends on what you are dealing with.

I was going to buy us a Nest today, but then I learned the greedy electric company abruptly stopped giving 200 USD rebates for installing one.

Greedy bastards! Smart thermostats are great, beats non-programmable, but non-programmable is still better than a shitty programmable one.
I'd say shitty programmable is better than non programmable.

HUELEN10

I'd say shitty programmable is better than non programmable.

I said shitty for a reason. I read manual and service manual for the one in my apartment. No matter what, it defaults to 85 at night after a week of override use, that is too hot for us to handle for what we do, as we are night owls of sorts.

And with our schedules, mere on-off/limit programmable thermostats would be constantly overridden, so there would be no point and it would be a waste in time and money.

For us, manual or smart is truly the way to go; get what works for you.

Enron

Banned
Seems wasteful to have on when you're not home no?

Try turning it off everyday, coming home to an 84 degree home, and then blasting the AC for the rest of the day to bring it down to a comfortable temp. See how much that power bill is after a month of that!

73 degrees here. Can't stand anything warmer than that.

HUELEN10

Try turning it off everyday, coming home to an 84 degree home, and then blasting the AC for the rest of the day to bring it down to a comfortable temp. See how much that power bill is after a month of that!

This guy fucking gets it.

Are you a Floridian perchance?

Knoxcore

We recently replaced our unit so it runs quietly and efficiently. When we are home it is set at 76 and it gets cool pretty fast. When we are not home we raise it to 84 so it won't come on. At night in the summer it is set at 80. I like it cold but others do not but 76 with this unit is very comfortable.

besada

Banned
My cats get pissy if I drop it below 78. So when we're not home, it's set to that. Otherwise, I turn it on remotely to cool it down to a more reasonable temperature before we get there.

Hip Hop

I guess you don't live in an area where the weather is 110F+ all summer long.
it's a must here.

EYEL1NER

Mine stays at 60F at all times. I love the cold and I can afford to keep it cold in my place, so that is where it stays. Well, it stays at 60 at all times but isn't running at all times; whenever my wife walks past the thermostat, she sets it to auto and it naturally turns off. So I'll usually walk over shortly after that and switch it back to "on." She switches it to auto whenever we are about to go anywhere or to work, but if I see it I'll switch it back on so that way it is cold when we get back. The AC in my car stays at 58F at all times too.

I absolutely love it. The only downside is that my glasses fog up immediately upon opening a door to the SC heat and humidity. I don't really mind that all too much though; I've spent the majority of my last three years in N Greenland and am fully acclimated to the arctic climate, so even when I arrive in the 'States in the middle of winter and it is 30F out, I am still too hot.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Get a roll-back thermostat. Goes up automatically at the same time every day, set it to cool back down about 30 min before you get home. Saves you a ton of money.

Wubby

Mine is set for 28c (82.4F I guess). I have it set at a low power quiet mode too.. Mostly just want it to dehumidify the air.

genjiZERO

78 at all times

One of my housemate's girlfriend was in town for a month and she kept turning it down to 72. She turned it down to 70 a couple of days ago and I went ape-shit. She's gone now thank-fucking-god. We all agreed he has to count her as an extra person and pay her share of the utilities. Personally I think they should pay even more since they kept pumping the AC for no reason. Fucking bougie suburbanites.

And she's from Panama of all places and still has to live in a freezer

Hazmat

Yep yep. I kick mine up to about 76-78 while I'm at work for my evening comfort and for my cat. For the past month or so, it's still at or over 100 and sunny when I get home from work around 7:00. It's 95 degrees outside at 10:00. I cook (usually oven and stove) when I get home from work, running the AC somewhat while I'm gone is a must.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I put it at about 70 and on "energy saver" mode where it only turns on when the remote senses its gotten too hot. I hate the heat and I don't like coming home to a hot apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom