• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

hesido

I just don't get how people are finding it unplayable. I play games that require very fast reaction times, so it's not "just me". I notice the lag when I look for it and watch these videos,but it hasn't effected my enjoyment of the game in the slightest.

I think some people are less tolerant to lag by their nature, and not everyone has the same TV setup which also adds a variable to this input lag equation.

Driving feels more responsive than aiming, funnily enough. Thanks again for all the work to inform R*. Seriously, you're hopefully doing everyone a favor.

Yeah, hopefully. I'd love for them to at least make it feel like the PS3 version did. The PS3 vs PS4 comparison video really surprised me, knowing that the delay isn't just affecting the sticks, but the buttons and triggers too. Hopefully the guys higher up the chain decide to do something about it after Mike (Rockstar Support guy) sends it their way. The delay may be in part due to the nature of the Euphoria engine, I get that, but being worse than it was on last-gen surely couldn't have been intentional, and will hopefully be fixed before the heists drop.

Even pulling the trigger has a lag/latency to it! Does anyone feel the same?

Yup. The PS3 vs PS4 comparison video in the OP shows this to be the case. Same with bringing up the weapon wheel and clicking in the stick to look behind you.

Tab0203

All the technical things movie reviewers never have to think about (frame rate rarely drops in a movie, input lag is irrelevant), whether it's unstable frame rate/lag, input lag/responsiveness or glitches and game breaking bugs, are very important when it comes to gameplay i.e. controls. This is where objectivity in game reviews comes into play. I'm sure input lag is not an issue watching all those cutscenes but we're talking about gameplay/controls here. How many people mentioned input lag in the GTAV thread? The ps3 vs ps4 comparison was posted in November. Searching the old official GTAIV thread gave me no results… a game with 166 ms (200 ms on flat panel TVs) of input lag. Remember the Killzone 2 and Uncharted 3 threads?

Reminds me of comments like "ps4 remote play works great, no noticeable lag, totally playable" and "the playstation move controller is just like the Wii remote but more precise" when the exact opposite is true. But who cares. Every opinion is equal no matter how you arrived at that opinion. Posting a video that shows input lag on a CRT monitor or TV is exactly the same as claiming "I never noticed any lag, must be your TV" without posting a video.
What's funny is the last sentence is actually true when it comes to people posting videos of the Wii menu cursor (lowered update rate of the Wii remote to save battery life) playing on a laggy LCD trying to prove cursor lag back in 2007. Then I post a video of a Wii game running on a CRT without any lag and the stupid comments about lag that doesn’t exist continue for years… Everything is upside down.

It's fascinating. Non- and casual gamers actually have higher standards than the vast majority of self-proclaimed hardcore gamers (whatever that means). They would never put up with all the problems and hassle setting up and patching a game - waiting for the game to load - bugs and glitches - looking for solutions - reading about the game online - “it’s your controller or TV!” - constant gameplay interruptions - unstable frame rate - screen tearing - reading comments that you have to get used to it - wait for a new patch, etc... They don't even know what input lag, tearing or a frame rate drop is (sounds familiar), but instead of defending their company/game of choice by lowering the standards (saying it's no big deal, more than playable), they simply stop playing and watch a movie or read a book.

One more thing I need to get off my chest. I noticed that a new kind of PC gamer appeared over the past few years. The posters (mostly disillusioned PS360 owners) that bought a PC simply to be able to piss on consoles or companies they don't like. No, buying a PC during the underwhelming sub-HD, sub-30fps, screen tearing PS360 generation does not make you a PC gamer. Calling yourself the “master race” does not make you a PC gamer.

Its not ridiculously bad though. I agree the aiming in the game is pretty bad. But we've known that since GTA 3, let's be fair. It's not something Rockstar will patch I fear.
The ps3 version looks ridiculously bad. The ps4 version looks unacceptable.

Also, "we've known"? I know it's hard to believe reading this place, but some people here never owned a Sony console. Even if I knew, how does that make it acceptable? I played GTA3 on ps2 for 30 minutes when it came out and decided to wait for the PC version. I can't believe I almost bought my first Sony console only for this game without knowing this. A daily Neogaf reader. And considering Rockstar's track record, the PC version won't be playable until it gets patched a few times... This thread is barely alive and page one is filled with members masturbating over obviously fake cutscenes and trailers. I love this industry.

The best you can do with Rockstar games is to wait for a year or two after the PC version comes out. The game will be patched and PCs will be powerful enough to play the game at almost stable 60fps with less pop-in and better image quality at close to maxed out settings. The game will look and play the way it's meant to be played. Consider yourself lucky if you just started playing GTA4 on a PC with mouse aiming and all the mods and addons available for free. It still amazes me how terrible the ps360 versions look, run and play.

As mentioned in this thread, this is good for people that don't notice or get used to input lag. The game will be even more fun with proper controls. It makes no sense to downplay or defend this.

terrible

Banned
I just don't get how people are finding it unplayable. I play games that require very fast reaction times, so it's not "just me". I notice the lag when I look for it and watch these videos,but it hasn't effected my enjoyment of the game in the slightest.

I can tolerate it because of the lock-on aiming. It does all the work for me and the game is still fun like that. I don't play GTA for its gunplay. If I had to play the game using only free aim I'd 100% say it was unplayable though. I can't hit a damn thing in free aim because of the deadzone, acceleration, etc. I'm generally pretty good at shooters too so it's not me.

masteratt

Thanks Lucas. I only rented this game on PS4 (got it on PS3), returned it after not wanting to be arsed with the "story" again and not really enjoying FP mode (reason I rented it was to try that).

If this latency/deadzone/etc gets a fix + Single Player DLCs packed in (when ever they are coming) all in a nice GOTY edition or the sort on PS4, it will get my buy.

Until then, meh. Happy with PS3 version and my quest for 100% (in SP).

Oh man, it feels so much better to play now. I turned the dead-zone all the way down and the camera moves after barely touching the right stick.

Not sure what to have the acceleration slider set to, though...if I have it all the way down, it takes ages for the camera to turn, despite the fact that my sensitivity is max.

I'll keep messing around and see what works best for me.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I felt the same about 4 on the 360. Like they tried to make it realistic by having character move weirdly or something and I can't stand it, in fact are all their games not the same?

I prefer movement in Saints Row which I know isn't realistic but it is more fun for me.

Someone give this man a tag!

Thanks Lukas

No problem. It's still not quite perfect, and there's still delay in the buttons...but it's a lot better than it was yesterday. I actually feel like I have control over where my reticule goes now.

15863003239_2402447f34_o.jpg

I noticed they also added a setting for auto-leveling the camera. Awesome.

Ateron

No problem. It's still not quite perfect, and there's still delay in the buttons...but it's a lot better than it was yesterday. I actually feel like I have control over where my reticule goes now.

15863003239_2402447f34_o.jpg

I noticed they also added a setting for auto-leveling the camera. Awesome.

Seems like they are committed to making First Person View a thing! Good news for GTA VI. I honestly wasn't expecting them to listen to the fans, but boy I'm glad I was wrong. Now if only they could work out something in regards to the input lag, but this is a start and a very good one at that. Thanks to you and everyone who sent them messages, videos, etc. It's good to see that they still listen.

hypotc

Can't wait to try this when I get home. Maybe someone should make a new thread about it? Or change the topic title?

masteratt

GG Rockstar :)

Surprised they don't keep their support front line up to date. A reply like "something to help with that is on the way" to Lucas would have gone a long way.

thanks!!!

I just made a recording, it's uploading now. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem to have much of an affect on trees, but It does seem to have an effect on smaller vegetation such as bushes.

I don't know, I'll let you be the judge in a few minutes.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZyOe4orBKI

As you can see at 11 seconds in, the trees I'm approaching are already moving. I can't really tell if the chopper makes them move even more.

Hanmik

I just made a recording, it's uploading now. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem to have much of an affect on trees, but It does seem to have an effect on smaller vegetation such as bushes.

I don't know, I'll let you be the judge in a few minutes.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZyOe4orBKI

As you can see at 11 seconds in, the trees I'm approaching are already moving. I can't really tell if the chopper makes them move even more.

thanks

the bushes do move..

jrYWd3v.gif

trees not so much in that video..

For max snappiness, set deadzone to zero and accelleration to max. Feels so much better overall.

Not sure about framerate, seems to be the same overall, maybe a tiny bit improved for fast driving (PS4).

For max snappiness, set deadzone to zero and accelleration to max. Feels so much better overall.

Not sure about framerate, seems to be the same overall, maybe a tiny bit improved for fast driving (PS4).

Yeah, feels like how Far Cry 4 felt to play for me when I have my settings like this.

So good!

terrible

Banned
I thought it would be best with deadzone on minimum, acceleration on minimum, and sensitivity on max. Nope! Definitely feels best with deadzone on min, acceleration near max, and sensitivity on pretty low.

It's hugely improved like this, especially when combined with auto level off. I can actually play the game completely with free aim now I think.

I thought it would be best with deadzone on minimum, acceleration on minimum, and sensitivity on max. Nope! Definitely feels best with deadzone on min, acceleration near max, and sensitivity on pretty low.

It's hugely improved like this, especially when combined with auto level off. I can actually play the game completely with free aim now I think.

Yeah, this is what I thought would be best, but setting the acceleration to minimum makes it take an age to turn the camera.

I think I may have to turn my aiming sensitivity down now, though, as setting the acceleration to max as well as having my aiming sensitivity set to max makes my gun move super fast. A little too fast for me.

No. This thread is about the input lag and the patch doesn't fix it.

By title, yeah, but it became a discussion about input delay, dead-zone, and acceleration issues. Two of which have been fixed. The third was only exacerbated by the dead-zone issue, and now that the dead-zone is fixed, the input delay is more or less the same as what you'd find in every other 30fps game.

I didn't try the patch but from Lukas posts, they didn't fix the input lag.

To be honest...after playing the game post-patch for a little while, I think the main cause of the problem was the dead-zone, not the input delay. There's still a little delay, but it feels no different from every other 30fps first-person game I've played after turning the dead-zone all the way down.

terrible

Banned
I think most of the perceived input lag was due to how far the joystick had to travel before the game would register any movement. The deadzone was gigantic.

Input lag is still there. Thing fucking sucks. The FPS controls are slightly better, but that's it. Turning the camera is still laggy, I still can't drive cars without running into everything. Pressing L1 still takes forever to bring up the weapon wheel.

UrbanRats

Wow, seriously wasn't expecting the dead zone fix.
Thanks for the effort Lukas (and all the other people here and on other forums, bitching about this!).

Also, serious props to R* for listening and being quick to adress the issue, again, i wasn't expecting them to give a shit.

Can we have new comparison gifs, compared to the old ones?

To be honest...after playing the game post-patch for a little while, I think the main cause of the problem was the dead-zone, not the input delay. There's still a little delay, but it feels no different from every other 30fps first-person game I've played after turning the dead-zone all the way down.

Even when driving, the input lag was more present than on the ps3 version...
It wasn't just the aiming.

I tried the patch and it seems they also fixed the input lag, it's on par with the ps3 version now. I tried to drive with a very fast car and I had way more control than before.
The aiming is great now, this is really the perfect game for me. This patch feels the same as when I first played GTA IV on pc wich also fixed some major control issues. I don't need other games in my life anymore.

GG Rockstar

masteratt

Can someone do a comparison of PS3 vs PS4 now?

NOT THE ANALOGUES. As the new settings should fix that or get you to have your preferred way, but open the weapon wheel for example. Which showed input lag in previous comparisons as PS4 weapon wheel popped up considerably later than PS3 after the buttons were pressed.

Just curious, not trying to prove or disapprove anything.

Tab0203

Yes, we need a video. Just read the other thread. So far we've had everything from "illusion of input lag" (that's a new one I haven't seen before) to "doesn't fix the lag", and the always popular "I don't notice any lag."

Top Bottom