• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's holding mobile gaming back from being widely accepted by "gamers"?

Bert

Again, I'm just calling bullshit. They're out there, even if they're a bit harder to find.

This is a gaming forum, if you have some gems with console level depth let us have them man!

Games that eat my time in iOS tend to be very simple addictive mechanics. Even the game I love the most (game Dev story) is essentially a very shallow, very short game with little variety. Even games that seem a perfect fit for the screen and controls (TBS and resource management games) end up as shallow imitations of their big screen brethren. When even Civ and Football Manager feel stale after a couple of days you know something's up.

Nothing has come close to even the most basic console game.

Actually in hindsight the problem is that I expect AAA level depth with a bargain bin pricing. Software on mobile feels inherently less valuable as such I won't pay £40 for a game so games that rely on content and polish come up way short of expectations, thus reenforcing the idea that the games aren't worth much.

TheD

The Detective
The only games I can bare to play on a phone or tablet are emulators or ports of old console games with on screen buttons (swiping across what I am looking at in a game is moronic).

Fjordson

I'm a dinosaur who still enjoys story-based singleplayer games. So all the free to play/asynchronous multiplayer/puzzle games on iOS simply don't appeal to me.

Still some other good stuff I've enjoyed on my iPhone, though. GTA III and Vice City, Game Dev Story, Beneath a Steel Sky, Gemini Rue, etc.

Edit: this post did sort of a bad job of answering the question at hand. Not really sure what makes people discount mobile gaming. Most of them aren't really in line with my personal tastes, but that doesn't mean they aren't legitimate games.

Keasar

This is a gaming forum, if you have some gems with console level depth let us have them man!

Games that eat my time in iOS tend to be very simple addictive mechanics. Even the game I love the most (game Dev story) is essentially a very shallow, very short game with little variety. Even games that seem a perfect fit for the screen and controls (TBS and resource management games) end up as shallow imitations of their big screen brethren. When even Civ and Football Manager feel stale after a couple of days you know something's up.

Nothing has come close to even the most basic console game.

Actually in hindsight the problem is that I expect AAA level depth with a bargain bin pricing. Software on mobile feels inherently less valuable as such I won't pay £40 for a game so games that rely on content and polish come up way short of expectations, thus reenforcing the idea that the games aren't worth much.

To be fair, Civilization Revolution really cant compare to its PC brethren, even when it was on console. Now if only Civilization 4 or 5 could get a iOS port...

Ty4on

Even playing Phoenix Wright on my iPod Touch (it is basically an iPhone, so I guess it's a phone :p ) I missed buttons.

rpmurphy

At least for me, I'm too easily distracted by other functions on my phone or tablet like web browsing, streaming videos, or reading eBooks. Gaming ends up being pretty low on the interest hierarchy, whereas it's pretty up high for gaming consoles.

Put in the fact that GAF is pretty terrible at giving visibility to mobile games -- unless it's for iOS which I don't have and couldn't care less in getting -- so it's not like I know what's even good on Google Play nowadays anyway. Hell will freeze over before I want to keep up with the mega-thread again.

Edit:
Yeah, seeing the responses here about game quality and such really speak volumes, that for GAF, only diehard followers of iOS and Android gaming are aware of the good games to look for on the respective platforms. Not a big surprise when unlike with console or PC games (big, indie, and everything in between), there is hardly any pre-release buildup and little to no release fanfare, little to no post-release visibility (LTTPs, anyone?).

It would be nice if the mobile gaming community cared more about Android, considering marketshare alone.

NinjaBoiX

Games are too shallow, controls are terrible.

It's a god damn phone. I don't want to play games on my phone.
Basically yeah. It's fun for a minute or two of Angry Birds while you're taking a dump, but with 3DS and Vita to fill the potable void, and everything else for home, I would never choose to play on my phone.

I have about 30 games on it. I must have played games for around half an hour total in the last year. Touchscreen is a generally poor interface for gaming too.

Raonak

Banned
Just as a prefix -> these don't apply to ALL mobile games, but a lot i've download have these problems.

-Lack of quality control
-Bad touch controls - tends to restrict genres
-A lot of them being focused on nickle and diming you (freeimum model)
-Lack of depth

I just don't keep up with mobile gaming news. so my interest in them is minimal.

I played lots of mobile games when i first got my smartphone, then interest sorta died. then when i got my tablet, i played
lots again. but yet again, I sorta lost interest. I've found I burn out on games a lot quicklier on mobile. I havent played a mobile game in months.

Plus: I've got a vita. which just ends up being a far better experience. Between that and my PS3, i fulfill all my gaming needs. I think thats what happens to a lot of non-mobile gamers actually.

Bert

To be fair, Civilization Revolution really cant compare to its PC brethren, even when it was on console. Now if only Civilization 4 or 5 could get a iOS port...

But that's the point isn't it? My phone is more powerful than any desktop I've owned and the strategy games on iOS don't even compare to stuff I was playing on my Amiga 500 as a 9 year old. Why is that? The controls shouldn't be an issue.

I accepted mobile gaming as soon as I found out how addictive some games can be.
I may have put 20+ hours into Plague Inc. (which is pretty good for a 0,89€ game).
I played massive amounts of Dodonpachi Ressurection.
I rebought Ghost Trick just for the sake of higher resolution graphics (and because the game is just fucking awesome).
Also jubeat+/jukebeat, as well as other rhythm games like ReRave and Cytus are what keep me coming back for more.

It's a god damn phone. I don't want to play games on my phone.

Your phone has more powerful hardware than your 3DS, PSP, and if it's a recent phone, even your Vita.

The lack of buttons is a problem for more traditional gaming experiences, but there are plenty of game genres (RPGs and racing games spring to mind instantly) which control fine without buttons. The others, well, I guess that's what your 3DS is for.

Portable gaming is dying pretty fast though, and phones are a big reason why. The Vita would have been successful if it were a phone with additional proprietary game function, as a pure gaming device it's DOA and nothing can save it. The 3DS is still successful because every 5-year old kid still has one, but when's the last time you saw a teen or adult with a 3DS?

V_Arnold

Nothing. If there is real ambition for a mobile game developer to create a compelling gaming experience, then it is only the gamer's fault if they fail to recognize those games as "real".

The question is whether we properly recognize these gems or not. Or whether they exist or not. Certain genres wont work well, that is, I think, is a limitation that is almost set in stone at this point.

Ahmed360

If it's about controls and nothing else, why were ngage and Xperia Play such failures?

^ this
I used to always think it was the buttons, until I got Sony Xperia Play, downloaded lots of games and emulators, never played much, more like a test drive!

I can't really say exactly why, but for me I don't "feel it"!

The idea of it being a mobile phone is stuck into my brain that inside I know it is not supposed for gaming, I guess that's why.

Only fast simple games are the ones I usually keep playing like cut the rope, unicorn attack 2, shadow runner...etc

Serious gaming, not really, I don't think i would change my mind about it in the future either..

It's technically a "phone" after all! o_O

I guess if someone could solve this mystery, and implement gaming into phones the right way somehow...we could finally accept mobile gaming!
I usually think about possible ways to do that!

For me, its always been a case of having no desire to play them. I get all my gaming needs at home, at my PC or console and don't feel the need to be in that frame of mind on the way to work. I'd rather read or listen to music etc.

Beren

I agree buttons, i am playing on a N8 and the touchscreen is annoying, my fingers are all over the screen can't see lol! D:

TheChaos0

Controls - self explanatory really, the phones are not designed for gaming, they are not very ergonomic for that. Swiping and virtual control can only get you so far. And let's not forget you'll be covering a portion of the screen with your fingers.

Battery - unlike dedicated handhelds, for example, you need to use your phone for calling, social media, browsing and other apps, so the gaming hours won't be stellar.

Pricing - in the current market everybody expects apps prices to be astronomically low, which leads to lower budget games.

Market saturation - there are so many games on the store that anything good will most likely be lost in the sea of abysmal microtransaction hell.

Birathen

I've tried to like mobile games but its mostly shit. And if it aint shit its priced like a console/handheld game, just with terribad controls. And if the controls happen to be any good the potions and wizards hat is 5bux each and you cant defeat the troll under the bridge without a 5bux wizards hat! (You could buy a 5bux wizards hat with regular ingame gold but it costs 1500000 gold and most enemies just drop 50 gold ((unless you have the 20bux Flippers of fortune, then they drop 1000 gold each)))

First we need to define what a game is before saying what mobile gaming need to do to grow.

I feel a lot of the people with negative views of mobile gaming on phone and tablets have rigid ideas about what a game is, be that PC with KB and Mouse or Console with Dual Analogue controller. The OP covers this;

Now, I get the complaint against touch controls. They, straight-up, aren't as good as physical controls (when they're strictly emulating physical controls), so if that's the answer to this entire question, I guess it's more obvious than I thought. But surely that can't be the only reason people don't take mobile gaming seriously, is it?

And it's something I fully agree with, if you just remap a console controls onto a touchscreen it's shite. Never works well no matter what the reviews say.

Then let's define mobile gaming, experiences are different on a smartphone compared to a tablet. Some games work well on tablet but terrible on a smartphone, posters are not even quantifying in many cases if they are talking phone or tablet.

I have my iOS gaming library separated, some are on the phone because they work well on that format and others are on the tablet because that's the right format for them. The best tablet game might well run on your phone but be totally unsuited to the format.

To get gaming accepted I think games need to be made with the controls in mind, stop porting console games to mobile just because you can.

Have a market system to sort through the amount of releases, the dedicated GAF iOS monthly topics are a good solution to this but is should be something the format holders try to manage better also.

Make a compact dedicated controller, just as an option. I have an iCade and many games I've brought just because they support this controller.

Games with in app purchases need to have some kind of legislation because they are not games and are more like gambling machines now with real money. You don't buy them becuse they are good, you get them because they are free and then the developer hopes to get you hooked. Like a drug dealer. j/k

I've got a lot of good games for my phone and tablet, you do need to read reviews listen to community recommendations and take chances but there are many good original gaming experiences on mobile gaming if you put in the time to research that market.

Hasney

I just don't get on with touch screens I think. I loved my DS, but hated anything that was touch heavy. I thought the iPhone was just way too small to paw at for all these touchy games, but even with the Galaxy S 4, I'm not feeling it.

Big exception being Kairosoft games. They are just big bundles of joy.

Hypron

Games that interest me. I play every once in a while on my ipod in the train when I don't feel sleepy and have nothing else to do, but the games don't really excite me at all... I just play them to kill time.

beje

Banned
Maybe when 99% of them stop being skinner machines with shady money-grabbing schemes, "gamers" will start paying some attention to them. In the meantime I'd rather pay 30€+ (or whatever they ask for an indie game) for a proper game with real effort for being legitimately entertaining put into it.

Edit: also, buttons.

FaceDa

Banned
Maybe when 99% of them stop being skinner machines with shady money-grabbing schemes, "gamers" will start paying some attention to them. In the meantime I'd rather pay 30€+ for a proper game with real effort for being legitimately entertaining put into it.

Edit: also, buttons.

World Ends With You is on iOS though.

Also that game doesn't control with buttons anyway :)

Boring games (Situational... last one i enjoyed was Plague Inc and i played it a few times only)
Lack of longevity (FarmVille clones aside)
No buttons

dude

dude
Honnestly? That the "casual" mobile gaming market risk opening the closed gaming club, in which you are a "gamer" with a "gamer culture" and such, to a wider audience and ruin the nerd refuge gaming is now. Just like the Wii before it.

eXistor

I just don't see the point of gaming on a phone outside of throwaway games like Angry Birds. The market seems oversaturated with absolute garbage, it's like there's no quality control at all. That and the control method is horrendous. There's no add-on that can fix this innate problem.

I'm well aware of games that overcome this problem by playing to a touch-screen's advantage, but these games simply don't do it for me. I'm clearly not the target market.

Tex117

Banned
I loved the throught of phone gaming, but gawd, I just cant handle the touch screen.

I bought a 3ds for long flights and travel, and I love it.

ekim

I recently got a 3DS (my last handheld was a Game Gear) while I used to play games on my iPhone and iPad for years now. The difference is HUGE and not only due to buttons.
The games on the 3DS are far more polished. That being sad, I'm not saying there are no good games on iOS (TWEWY, Bastion, Walking Dead) but it just feels better playing stuff on the 3DS...

beje

Banned
World Ends With You is on iOS though.

Also that game doesn't control with buttons anyway :)

I don't like paying for overpriced smartphones. A 200€ off-contract Android phone serves me perfectly.

Also, I obviously meant shoving virtual buttons in game genres that don't belong in the smartphone ecosystem.

Games that interest me. I play every once in a while on my ipod in the train when I don't feel sleepy and have nothing else to do, but the games don't really excite me at all... I just play them to kill time.

The right game at the right time, I play simple time killing games that I can stop at any point when I need to get off the train but at home the deeper games get more time.

Maybe when 99% of them stop being skinner machines with shady money-grabbing schemes, "gamers" will start paying some attention to them.

They we're not skinner machines in such abundance about 18 months ago, however the race for the bottom pricing caused this freemium trend were seeing now. They are not getting my money or my time if I see "Free" games were coins/gold/credits are the top in app purchases.

FaceDa

Banned
And it's a watered down version.

They changed the combat so that it isn't dual screen and made balance changes around that. Other than that it's not watered down in any way. The graphics are at a much better resolution, the music is much better quality, and they've made patched some aspects of the gameplay. It's not missing anything.

Ferrio

Banned
They changed the combat so that it isn't dual screen and made balance changes around that. Other than that it's not watered down in any way. The graphics are at a much better resolution, the music is much better quality, and they've made patched some aspects of the gameplay. It's not missing anything.

Dual screen is what made the game, so ya watered down.

beje

Banned
I just don't see the point of gaming on a phone outside of throwaway games like Angry Birds. The market seems oversaturated with absolute garbage, it's like there's no quality control at all. That and the control method is horrendous. There's no add-on that can fix this innate problem.

This is also truth. The iOS ecosystem is like a modern age revival of the 80's videogame crash market:
- Unimaginative clones: check
- Floods and floods of crappy games that hide legitimate good games down under and make it impossible to find them: check
- No basic quality control at all: check
- Piggybacking on the success of old glories: check
- Race to the bottom in prices: check

zsidane

Quality. Control. Experience.

I have on my phone Angry Birds, Eternity Warriors 2 and Real Racing 3 (wanted to check how beautiful it is). I still can't consider my phone (as powerful as it is) as a true gaming console or a replacement to my PSP or 3DS.

Robin64

Very few people make really good games that are designed ground-up for the touch screen. Often they try and shoehorn in some awful virtual button controls or something. Some games I think work really well include Plants vs Zombies, Hero Academy, Cut the Rope, Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Rayman Jungle Run and Game Dev Story.

Infinity Blade is also good example of a game really designed for the phone, but that's a massive battery drain. I can live with a dedicated handheld running out of juice halfway through the day, but not my phone.

vani77a

Neo Member
- shallow games
- crowded stores, making it difficult to find the good ones ( + clones)
- the controls aren't really the problem IMO, but only few developers have figured how to use touch controls well
- BATTERY LIFE (i dont care if my screen is full HD, just give me long battery life)
- plus the very nature of using a phone as a gaming device, which tends to be shorter durations, which developers try to develop for, thus no one wants to innovate.

-KRS-

The thing for me is that it's a phone. I don't want to play games on a phone because when I do want to play a game I'm usually near an actual console where there are better experiences. Some people say "But you can play games on the bus!" or whatever, but I'd rather do something else when riding the bus like reading the news or whatnot. I don't need to be playing games constantly. I play games at home and that's enough for me.

Top Bottom