• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's next for Blizzard/What would you like to see from Blizzard after Overwatch?

Blizzard is a shadow of what they used to be. There is still the high amount of polish in their games today, but the soul has been ripped out of them. The company only makes "safe" games these days -- mostly sequels to existing franchises, although apparently they are willing to experiment now by tapping into the lucrative FPS market.

I really don't care what blizzard does next. They haven't done anything original in so long that I don't believe they are capable of it anymore.

So my guess as to what's next: some other sequel to an existing franchise. It's storyline will be completely "safe" (i.e. boring) and the gameplay will be exactly the same as its predecessor with a few QOL refinements (and don't get me wrong here, most of the gameplay in their prior franchises is pretty great, but that's no excuse for letting it go stale).

Baleoce

They would need someone like Seth Killian and his crew to help make the game.

Well Seth Killian was part of a company called Radiant Entertainment that made a recent fighting game called Rising Thunder, and they were acquired by Riot Games. So the assumption is that at some point down the line they may possibly weigh in with their own version of a fighter. Maybe.

Blizzard is a shadow of what they used to be. There is still the high amount of polish in their games today, but the soul has been ripped out of them. The company only makes "safe" games these days -- mostly sequels to existing franchises, although apparently they are willing to experiment now by tapping into the lucrative FPS market.

I really don't care what blizzard does next. They haven't done anything original in so long that I'm not sure they are capable of it anymore.

So my guess as to what's next: some other sequel to an existing franchise. It's storyline will be completely "safe" (i.e. boring) and the gameplay will be exactly the same as its predecessor with a few QOL refinements (and don't get me wrong here, most of the gameplay in their prior franchises is pretty great, but that's no excuse for letting it go stale).
Lol. That is what Blizz has ALWAYS done.

They take an existing style, polish the hell out of it, and dominate.

If you really insist on pretending that they have had some massive decline you can enjoy it knowing that you are wrong.

Ordinator

I'd really like to see Blizzard make a quality mobile game. I know Hearthstone can be played on iOS and the like, but I'd like to see their attempt at tackling a game specifically made for mobile platforms. Something like Marvel Future Fight or Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes but without the excessive money grabbing that most mobile games have. I think there's potential for something like the garrison follower missions from WoW fleshed out as a seperate game on mobile.

Lol. That is what Blizz has ALWAYS done.

They take an existing style, polish the hell out of it, and dominate.

If you really insist on pretending that they have had some massive decline you can enjoy it knowing that you are wrong.

The only time Blizzard ever did something truly original was Diablo, so I agree with you.

Pendas

Banned

I really don't care what blizzard does next. They haven't done anything original in so long that I don't believe they are capable of it anymore.

Blizzard doesn't innovate a new genre. They perfect an existing one. That's the way it's always worked.

Well Seth Killian was part of a company called Radiant Entertainment that made a recent fighting game called Rising Thunder, and they were acquired by Riot Games. So the assumption is that at some point down the line they may possibly weigh in with their own version of a fighter. Maybe.
I don't know what exactly Blizzard would do differently that other fighting game devs are already doing. There's enough competition now and Capcom is feeling it. Remember, their MOBA didn't exactly set the scene on fire.

Illucio

Banned
A dedicated platformer like Mario.

Or their own take on a Pokemon styled rpg.

Just something Nintendo has dominated in and no one else had.

Edit: (they're own Smash Bros would be interesting)

FrsDvl

Hopefully Diablo 4, but I think that's a given and will be announced at Blizzcon. And a good WoW expac would be nice, hopefully Legion will be just that though.

I'd really want them to make D4 in the vein of D2/PoE. After the success of D3 I am sure I will never see this realized from Blizzard.

Blizzard doesn't innovate a new genre. They perfect an existing one. That's the way it's always worked.

All I will say is that especially the stories of their games seem far more derivative today, and tend to bore the hell out of me. The characters in WC2, WC3, SC1 were far more interesting than those in games that have come out since. The overall tone and atmosphere of the Diablo 1 and 2 contrasts IMO sharply with D3. Everything they put out today feels like it has gone through several thousand focus tests before being released. Characters are dull and uninspired. The tone and atmosphere of a game like D3, is I think more cartoony, in order to appeal to more people.

Anyways that's fine if you disagree with me on this. I don't think you are wrong about them always "perfecting existing" genres. Their games have always been polished and well done, and that quality has stayed consistent. It's basically all the other stuff -- story, art, atmosphere, that has gotten more safe, because as they've gotten bigger they've gotten less risk averse. That's my perception anyways.

Mentok

Banned
I doubt they'd do it, but I'd love a MonHun type game from them. I really think they could make something magical in that genre.

Pendas

Banned
All I will say is that especially the stories of their games seem far more derivative today, and tend to bore the hell out of me. The characters in WC2, WC3, SC1 were far more interesting than those in games that have come out since. The overall tone and atmosphere of the Diablo 1 and 2 contrasts IMO sharply with D3. Everything they put out today feels like it has gone through several thousand focus tests before being released. Characters are dull and uninspired. The tone and atmosphere of a game like D3, is I think more cartoony, in order to appeal to more people.

Anyways that's fine if you disagree with me on this. I don't think you are wrong about them always "perfecting existing" genres. Their games have always been polished and well done, and that quality has stayed consistent. It's basically all the other stuff -- story, art, atmosphere, that has gotten more safe, because as they've gotten bigger they've gotten less risk averse. That's my perception anyways.

You can always nit-pick little things; but you can't deny they take these genre's to a whole new level in terms of gameplay, accessibility, and popularity. Their only mis-step so far is Heroes of the Storm, but it's pretty hard to compete with what Riot and DotA have done so far.

Warcraft 4: would be nice, and could be used to bridge Wow to the inevitable wow 2.

Diablo 4: Pretty much a given, seeing as how well D3 did. By now, they know what works and what didn't, but i'm not sure where they take the formula from here.

Overwatch expansions/content: pretty much a given as well. I expect new hero, new maps, etc on a fairly regular basis for some time, and major a single player campaign of some sort in an future expansion?

We know Warcraft 3/Diablo 2 reworks are coming next. As for the next 'real' game... Warcraft 4 isn't going to happen. We all need to let go on that front.

I remember thinking Overwatch was going to be a game similar to XCOM or Fire Emblem for some reason. I still wouldn't mind if that eventually happened.

The End

It seems to me that if Overwatch is as successful as everyone expects, we'd be liable to get some PvE content for it (think Destiny) that can be played co-op and sold episodically.

I'd be so, so down.

OVERWATCH MMORPG PLS

WHERE WE GET TO MAKE OUR OWN OVERWATCH AGENTS

OR BE A TALON MEMBER OR OTHER TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

THE EXPANSIVE LORE IS RIPE FOR AN MMO

PLS MAKE IT BLIZZARD PLSSS

Cipherr

A new Diablo with the top tier gameplay/animation/visual design of Diablo 3, but with the immaculately designed item/level system of PoE.

If I could get a mix of those two in an Isometric ARPG I could probably die happy. Between D3 and PoE they both have half of the puzzle. But I think it's easier to develop a great item/level/endgame system (assuming you give a fuck) than it is to learn how to polish gameplay, animation, aesthetic design and combat the way Blizzard has, so if anyones gonna pull it off, I think it would be them.

Heres hoping. If not that, give me another MMO. But I don't want any more shallow games or shooters, OR fucking MOBA's so I'm glad they got Hearthstone, Heroes and Overwatch out of the way.

Edit: Oh and whatever it is. Please don't be Free to Play. I hate the foundation that bullshit creates for games. Let me pay a price upfront, or monthly in the case of an MMO, but no fucking microtransactions.

bluexy

Honestly? I want them to take the same risks they put into both Hearthstone and Overwatch and build the next World of Warcraft expansion with that philosophy.

The stability of WoW's subscriptions has pushed Blizzard to provide safe expansions over the past few years. Now that subscriptions are plummeting and Blizzard has shown that they've rediscovered that innate Blizzard creativity with Heartstone and Overwatch, hopefully they get the opportunity to channel that back into WoW.

Do something fun with it, Blizzard.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
fighting game

7xKurTH.jpg

Make it happen.

Top Bottom